Windows 8 Sucks, I switched to Apple

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

I just built a high-powered gaming rig for less than a fully loaded Ipad, installed windows 7 and I'm g2g. I won't ever by a mac simply on principle, as the process they charge are absurd. I'd sooner switch to Linux.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: Is there a way to disable that annoying start screen so that it just goes to the desktop like all the other Windows versions do?
There are Windows XP skin packs for Windows 8. However, be warned that these are hacks, with no guarantee on how it might affect your system and future system updates.

Ditching Windows and switching to Mac OSX may be a better option. If you're willing to buy used, you can save some $$. Also, most USB devices will work with Mac, so you don't necessarily have to buy expensive Apple accessories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_Maver ... quirements
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Winston wrote: Is there a way to disable that annoying start screen so that it just goes to the desktop like all the other Windows versions do?
Winston, I just bought a Dell laptop a year ago with windows 8. I can now upgrade to windows 8.1 (which I haven't done yet) which apparently does not have that start screen that shows all the apps.

The upgrade to windows 8.1 is free and there is now a start button on windows 8.1 (which was missing on the old version of windows).

I would suggest upgrading to windows 8.1 it's a free upgrade and it will make it easier to navigate around your screen.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

jamesbond wrote:
Winston, I just bought a Dell laptop a year ago with windows 8. I can now upgrade to windows 8.1 (which I haven't done yet) which apparently does not have that start screen that shows all the apps.

The upgrade to windows 8.1 is free and there is now a start button on windows 8.1 (which was missing on the old version of windows).

I would suggest upgrading to windows 8.1 it's a free upgrade and it will make it easier to navigate around your screen.
Windows 8/8.1 is easy to use. Now you can press the Window key, and just start typing for the program you are looking for. Its searching capabilities for Files, Programs, and Settings are comprised into one queried area that are quicker to find than they were in previous Windows.

I now run a Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V Virtual Machine on my Windows 8 box to do my SharePoint 2013, Visual Studio 2013 and Powershell v4 ISE coding. I have a legal, unlimited CAL license for using Remote Desktop to remote into the VM, which gives me 100 percent of the host screen's resolution vs 1/3rd of the screen just in the Hyper-V GUI window - RDC clipboard of copy and paste files (Host <-> VM). I created my own virtual Windows-based domain inside of the VM. I could create more VMs and run them synchronously in order to run a scaled-out SharePoint farm, but that would bring the IOPS traffic to almost a screeching halt (i.e. it would slow it the f.uck down immensely).

No BSoD (The infamous Windows blue-screen-of-death). Never.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

odbo wrote: In other words, Apple has an army of cult-like customers with more money than sense. Many are effeminate yuppie types who've been paying Steve Jobs to f**k them up the a** since the early 90s when their computers were only useful as decorative pieces for ones office.
Steve Jobs was exiled from Apple in 1984, and did not return until 1997.