Why does Microsoft keep dishing out endless Windows versions?

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Winston
Site Admin

Why does Microsoft keep dishing out endless Windows versions?

Post by Winston »

Why does Microsoft keep dishing out endless versions of Windows? If the latest Windows version works fine and does everything you want, such as Windows 7 did, why do they need to keep developing new versions endlessly and forcing everyone to get acquainted with them? Why not just reach a stable functional apex and leave it at that?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Zero_Tolerance_Man
Freshman Poster

Post by Zero_Tolerance_Man »

Windows sucks altogether. Crap is crap no matter how you label it. Apple OS blows it away.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why does Microsoft dish out endless Windows versions?

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:Why does Microsoft keep dishing out endless versions of Windows? If the latest Windows version works fine and does everything you want, such as Windows 7 did, why do they need to keep developing new versions endlessly and forcing everyone to get acquainted with them? Why not just reach a stable functional apex and leave it at that?
How do software companies make money?
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

momopi wrote:How do software companies make money?
True, although in some cases, open-source freeware bugs people to constantly update too, such as Mozilla Firefox. :P
jtest28
Freshman Poster

Post by jtest28 »

Winston wrote:Why does Microsoft keep dishing out endless versions of Windows? If the latest Windows version works fine and does everything you want, such as Windows 7 did, why do they need to keep developing new versions endlessly and forcing everyone to get acquainted with them? Why not just reach a stable functional apex and leave it at that?
Because Bill Gates made a deal with the devil that he would be very rich in this life and all he has to do in return is look like a turtle the rest of his life. That, and do this shit with Windows.

I hate all this Windows 345678 to infinity crap myself. I can't even use Windows 8 and I know people who are trying to go back to XP FROM Windows 8, and it wont even let you do it.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Windows 7 was that technical/functional apex you are mentioning. Then Microsoft realised they were missing out or lagging massively on the growing mobile/tablet/embedded device markets and had to power steer their product strategy to deliver a competitive version of Windows that could run on that kind of hardware. That meant rewriting the OS to run on the typical low-power CPU that run on tablets and mobiles, namely the ARM family of chips, and aligning the user experience to match that of Apple and Android competitors: sleek graphics, interaction on large touch screens, easy to install services and apps, etc.

So yes, every company would like to force new products on their customers as a means to ensure continuing profits. As many analysts say, this latest move from Microsoft though looked more like a "change or die" strategy than a simple technology rehash.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

Winston wrote:Why does Microsoft keep dishing out endless versions of Windows?
Newer versions make use of advancements in new hardware (no one complained when processors were getting faster).
Winston wrote:If the latest Windows version works fine and does everything you want, such as Windows 7 did, why do they need to keep developing new versions endlessly and forcing everyone to get acquainted with them?
You're not "forced" to upgrade for several years.
Plenty of people are happy with and still use XP on older hardware.
There are also plenty of OSes that are NOT Windows or Apple.

Winston wrote:Why not just reach a stable functional apex and leave it at that?
This from the guy who doesn't want to settle down and bang the same broad for the rest of his life? :roll:
Because, after a while, people want something newer & different. :razz:
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Is there a way to buy a laptop or netbook with Windows 7 rather than Windows 8?

A friend of mine told me she had to drive all the way to Sacramento from Reno, NV, to get a laptop at Fry's Electronics that had Windows 7 on it.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

Winston wrote:Is there a way to buy a laptop or netbook with Windows 7 rather than Windows 8?

A friend of mine told me she had to drive all the way to Sacramento from Reno, NV, to get a laptop at Fry's Electronics that had Windows 7 on it.
Yeah, I just tried it on Newegg.
You can select the OS as part of the narrowing down.
Looks like there are even 3 or 4 flavors of 7 to choose from. :shock:
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Winston wrote:Is there a way to buy a laptop or netbook with Windows 7 rather than Windows 8?

I was wondering this, and I assume the third world is always at least a couple years behind when it comes to these things. This means that when I need a new laptop in South America, then I should be able to find one with windows 7, which is what I've been using for the past few years now.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Just got a new laptop. It's very nice. Big screen and runs smoothly. This forum looks great on it too. :)

But these new ones all have Windows 10. Man it has so many bells and whistles you don't need. It keeps trying to turn your laptop into a smart phone too, and keeps trying to connect and integrate everything with Microsoft. Geez. It's so pushy in that sense. It even tries to get you to use Microsoft Edge browser too, and claims it's better than Chrome and the rest. And makes it your default browser so that you have to go through steps to change it. Man Microsoft is so self serving. lol

Also, Windows 10 seems to be resource heavy. It makes the Windows startup take a long time to load. Geez. Why do they keep coming out with new Windows systems? Windows 7 was fine and stable and smooth and had all I need. Why do they keep making new ones? It's annoying.

Are any of you on Windows 10? If so what do you think of it?

TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

Basically if you get a new laptop what you want to do is download Windows 10 from Microsoft. Then you download the media creation tool and install it onto a flash drive. Then do a clean install of Windows 10. That cleans out all the junk that was installed from the manufacturer. Most of it you don't need anyway. Windows 10 will pick up all the necessary drivers. This is what I do.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

TruthSeeker wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 2:18 am
......download the media creation tool
..... do a clean install of Windows 10
......cleans out all the junk that was installed from the manufacturer...
This is also exactly what I did and I can confirm the result was really fine,
about 15 GB less of junk....