Earning an income online

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

mguy wrote:
xiongmao wrote:If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

Google's updates in the last couple of years have pretty much destroyed amateurs' chances of doing well at this game.

If Winston hadn't go lazy he would have quit GoDaddy ages ago. He'd be making 25%+ more a month if he ditched it. God knows it's hard to use HA in Thailand, so goodness knows how many lurkers can't see the site.
Why would quitting one host give him a 25%+ more?
Because if this site were on a better server, the page loading time would be faster, and thus Google would rank this site higher. Google announced in 2010 that page speed, if too slow, will incur penalties from Google.

Right now, the average page loading time is about 4 seconds (that is if you load this site fresh without it being cached in your browser). If it was brought down to 1 second or less, we would rank a lot higher in search engines. Does it take about 4 seconds for each of you guys to load a page here?
kai1275 wrote: Xiongmao's PC is littered with malware, keyloggers, kidde p**n, and viruses. Laughing
Or maybe he's using weak or low quality wifi spots. lol. Either way, he ought to download Advanced System Care and Malwarebytes to clean out his system. They are both free. Just Google them to find the download links.
Last edited by Winston on August 8th, 2013, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Tsar,
Here is an article I wrote that may be helpful to you:

http://blog.happierabroad.com/2012/01/h ... th-vs.html
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Winston wrote:Tsar,
Here is an article I wrote that may be helpful to you:

http://blog.happierabroad.com/2012/01/h ... th-vs.html
Thank you for the link. BlueHost was a good recommendation, it has many positive reviews.

http://web-design-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Based on this review site I am thinking Web Easy Professional but it also has some negative reviews by users. I'm not sure about Microsoft Expressions 4 because I'm not sure how beginner friendly it is and I think it would be good to start with a more beginner friendly to adjust to the learning curve.

What web design program did you use to create HappierAbroad.com? It has a good layout and functionality.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Many websites are now including an add-on forum. Is the forum extra or included? I know there are open-source forum software offered on the internet. Are those any good? Forums help attract a community to a website, especially when the website has a niche population segment.

Links about the benefits of a person adding a forum to their website:
http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/forum.shtml
http://www.dailyblogtips.com/website-tr ... e-or-blog/
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Earning an income online

Post by momopi »

Tsar wrote: I could use some suggestions relating to what web design and forum design program I should use. I have never had a web design course so I would be a beginner. I think I could self-learn and follow free guides on the internet if available. I think something relatively easy and simple that provides a decent website would be good.
I think godaddy would be a suitable website host because it would be a development-stage website.

Try lynda.com for online web dev classes.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Yeah. I think it's important to learn how to program web services and to program the browser to get post and get info to/from web services, manipulate the info via AJAX and serialize into Javascript on-notation (JSON) for the browser to understand and design that rendered info by CSS and jQuery.

So with that being said, find out a good ASP (Application Services [Host] Provider) that hosts WCF (Microsoft .NET Web Services Framework) so you can program web services to run off of their IIS-enabled servers. (IIS is the premiere Microsoft professional Web Server that primarily runs on Windows Servers 2003 and Servers 2008/R2).

Also if they can do that, they can host ASP.NET Application Sites. Make sure they are running at least .NET 4.0/4.5 Framework for the latest and greatest.

POF is running .NET 4.0/4.5 framework so that they have a new assembly class used in the ASP.NET aspx pages that can actually read your outgoing MAC addy and your static IP so they can block your a.ss whenever they feel like it. ASP.NET became that intrusive to the client now, not just server-side and middle-tier such as web services and data mining warehouses.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

No, I have a ninja fast Ultrabook - I am after all a software developer by trade.

Winston's site is slow because his hosting company is slow and phpBB/Wordpress are slow.

I do host some ASP.NET sites on GoDaddy but I built them myself and they cache loads of content to make them very fast.

Winston is losing ad revenue because people are way too busy to wait for pages to load. And more often than not, HA fails to load for me at all!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Last edited by E Irizarry R&B Singer on August 9th, 2013, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

xiongmao wrote:No, I have a ninja fast Ultrabook - I am after all a software developer by trade.

Winston's site is slow because his hosting company is slow and phpBB/Wordpress are slow.

I do host some ASP.NET sites on GoDaddy but I built them myself and they cache loads of content to make them very fast.

Winston is losing ad revenue because people are way too busy to wait for pages to load. And more often than not, HA fails to load for me at all!
@XiongMao,

I was going to get Alienware, but I may rescind from doing that. I don't know yet. I need a better laptop even though for a 3-year old computer:
my HP Pavilion is living on living strongly.

Do you use Output Cache at the aspx page level or you do it at the Master page level? The best way to use ASP.NET caching is at the kernel-mode level
because the lower the level you go, the more effective caching is in IIS.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:Yeah. I think it's important to learn how to program web services and to program the browser to get post and get info to/from web services, manipulate the info via AJAX and serialize into Javascript on-notation (JSON) for the browser to understand and design that rendered info by CSS and jQuery.

So with that being said, find out a good ASP (Application Services [Host] Provider) that hosts WCF (Microsoft .NET Web Services Framework) so you can program web services to run off of their IIS-enabled servers. (IIS is the premiere Microsoft professional Web Server that primarily runs on Windows Servers 2003 and Servers 2008/R2).

Also if they can do that, they can host ASP.NET Application Sites. Make sure they are running at least .NET 4.0/4.5 Framework for the latest and greatest.

POF is running .NET 4.0/4.5 framework so that they have a new assembly class used in the ASP.NET aspx pages that can actually read your outgoing MAC addy and your static IP so they can block your a.ss whenever they feel like it. ASP.NET became that intrusive to the client now, not just server-side and middle-tier such as web services and data mining warehouses.
For all I know, you could be making up all these terms. Kind of reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o
Digit
Freshman Poster

Post by Digit »

You can easily setup a website with wordpress. Most hosts nowadays even allow you to install it in the control panel, so you can do it by a simple click.

However I dont think setting up a blog and monetizing it with adsense is a good idea to make money. You need a LOT of traffic and also hit the right niche. In some niches people click the ads, in some they wont. So you end up putting in a lot of work into your website to get some traffic and in the end it might not convert at all. Its a bit of a spray + pray approach. There are people making decent money with this but they are having whole teams to build the sites and write content for them. So they can simply throw a lot against the wall and see what sticks.

Personally I never made more than 150 dollars a month with blogging and affiliate marketing and with adsense I make maybe 5 dollars a month with a website that has 150 unique visitors a day.

Another disadvantage is youre completely dependent on google. If they change their algorith (and they change them all the time) youre site might drop from page 1 to page 10 and you lose all your traffic.

So I would suggest if you want to start earning money NOW you sign up for some freelancer sites, setup a nice profile and start bidding. You can easily make 10-20 dollars an hour as a beginner and you can start making money pretty much right away. Thats a lot better than putting in a lot of work into a site that might not even generate any profit for you and youre not dependent on third parties like google.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

What plan should I select from BlueHost? I'm thinking about the $4.95/month for the shared hosting plan. If I have a domain name at GoDaddy do I need to transfer it to BlueHost or can I leave it at GoDaddy and just use BlueHost as the host for the website? Is it worth it to pay the $19.99/month for pro? I'm just starting out creating the website.
Winston
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Winston »

Tsar wrote:What plan should I select from BlueHost? I'm thinking about the $4.95/month for the shared hosting plan. If I have a domain name at GoDaddy do I need to transfer it to BlueHost or can I leave it at GoDaddy and just use BlueHost as the host for the website? Is it worth it to pay the $19.99/month for pro? I'm just starting out creating the website.
I would start with the shared hosting plan for 5 dollars a month. Then as your traffic grows, you can change to a higher shared hosting plan. Or opt for VPS hosting if you start having lots of traffic and success. You can keep your domain name with Godaddy and point it toward Bluehost servers. They have a help article on Bluehost that shows you how to easily do that. But you'd have to renew your domain name with Godaddy every year, which you can set on auto-renewal.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Earning an income online

Post by Winston »

Some great advice from Steve Pavlina about making money from your website or blog and building traffic for it.

How to Build a High-Traffic Web Site (or Blog)
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/0 ... e-or-blog/

10 Stupid Mistakes Made by the Newly Self-Employed
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/0 ... -employed/

How to Make Money From Your Blog
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/0 ... your-blog/

StevePavlina.com Podcast #006 – How to Make Money Without a Job

This podcast is about how to make money through multiple streams of income without actually having a job, which is something I’ve been doing since the 1990s. This is a high-level overview of the general process and mindset involved in generating passive income streams.

Enjoy the podcast.

How to Make Money Without a Job
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/1 ... out-a-job/

Winston
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Winston »

celery2010 wrote:
August 7th, 2013, 9:17 pm
You don't need web design. Just use Wordpress.
Wordpress is ok. It has a lot of plug ins and is popular. However, Blogger is far easier to use. Even kids can use it. So if you want something easy that requires no learning curve, you can just use Blogger, and then redirect it to your own domain name. You can put up static pages on Blogger too, so they will be like static subpages under your site, rather than posts with dates and comments on them. Like I did with my blog here: http://blog.happierabroad.com. It was designed in Blogger and then redirected to a subdomain under this site. So if you want something easier than Wordpress, you can try that.

Btw Tsar, did you ever create your website? If so, can we see it?