Need help with virus on my computer

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Need help with virus on my computer

Post by Rock »

My laptop has been infected with a stubborn program - Qone8. I've tried various anti-virus programs but none seem to work. Most don't even seem to detect it. But one, SpyHunter4 identify it and give me the chance to delete it. But very soon, it always comes back.

I've manually removed it from all my browsers but it seems to infect the registry in many places. I don't wanna mess with that cus I don't know what I'm doing.

It's a very annoying program because it causes my computer to be very slow and often leads to Internet pages not loading properly. Does anyone know a way to completely remove this program and all it's remnants so that my laptop can return to it's regular speed and stability?
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

@Rock,

Long time, no speak (with one another). Have you tried the following link? (https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.p ... pic=136288)
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yeah Malware Bytes is the best free program I know of to get rid of viruses. But if it's a deep virus in the registry, you should reboot your computer and go into safe mode first before running it. At the startup screen in DOS, press F8, F9 or F11 to go into safe mode. The key is different for every computer. Google your computer brand model number and "boot in safe mode" to find out how if you can't get into safe mode.

Then open up Malware Bytes and update the virus definitions and do a Quick Scan. The scan can last 20 minutes or more, depending how big your hard drive is. When it's done it will show you a list of viruses in red. Check mark all of them for deletion.

If the virus is deep in the root or registry, it will ask you to reboot the computer to complete the repair.

I've been through this many times and that's the best way to get rid of a deep virus.

Let us know if that works.

To download Malware Bytes, just Google it. Or here:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Buy a Mac...
KokujinKrusader
Freshman Poster

Post by KokujinKrusader »

If you can, burn a copy of Kaspersky Rescue Disk onto a blank CD. Boot your infected computer using that CD, let it do its thing. That utility has saved me many a time.
Grand Admiral Game taught me how to improve my mindset in order to achieve the success that I wanted in life!
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

KokujinKrusader wrote:If you can, burn a copy of Kaspersky Rescue Disk onto a blank CD. Boot your infected computer using that CD, let it do its thing. That utility has saved me many a time.
..then go ahead and uninstall it because it makes the PC hiccup ("pause" for five unnecessary seconds per user transaction e.g. open a new tab, open a new instance of IE, etc.).
I have no patience for that. Kapersky Utility is fine for getting rid of Qone8...but don't keep it as an anti-virus (the full-on Kapersky edition)...it will slow your UX down so much.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

eurobrat wrote:Buy a Mac...
That's a very stupid and lazy suggestion. Only people with no problem solving skills would say that. You don't fix one little problem by replacing the whole thing. That's stupid, expensive, inefficient, illogical and irrelevant too.

The OP was asking for a way to fix the problem, not replace the whole computer. That's like using an atomic bomb to kill one person. Not efficient or practical at all.

Next time, learn to tackle a problem directly, and head on, rather than escaping it with lame one liners like that.

Also, if you don't know shit about fixing computer problems, then don't comment at all.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
In2dadark
Freshman Poster

Post by In2dadark »

Not sure if it was resolved? Have you tried AML disk cleaner. They also have a defrag program; both free & work great.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:
That's a very stupid and lazy suggestion. Only people with no problem solving skills would say that. You don't fix one little problem by replacing the whole thing. That's stupid, expensive, inefficient, illogical and irrelevant too.

The OP was asking for a way to fix the problem, not replace the whole computer. That's like using an atomic bomb to kill one person. Not efficient or practical at all.

Next time, learn to tackle a problem directly, and head on, rather than escaping it with lame one liners like that.

Also, if you don't know shit about fixing computer problems, then don't comment at all.
Well the OP source is also fed-up with Windows and the many years he has suffered under it. So he gave up and just bought a 13 inch Macbook Pro 3 weeks ago lol. Moreover, I had my mom get a 15 inch one. I'm done with Microsoft!!!
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Rock wrote:
Winston wrote:

Well the OP source is also fed-up with Windows and the many years he has suffered under it. So he gave up and just bought a 13 inch Macbook Pro 3 weeks ago lol. Moreover, I had my mom get a 15 inch one. I'm done with Microsoft!!!
See Winston, they're better computers overall and the future for consumer computing. I have been using Macintosh since my early days. I grew up on them, and now with the iPhone there's never been a better time to jump in.
You don't fix one little problem by replacing the whole thing
Actually some people do do this. Actually this whole website focuses on those things, solve some of your social ills in America by just leaving...
Ryan_Stevens
Freshman Poster

Re: Need help with virus on my computer

Post by Ryan_Stevens »

Malwarebytes is good Software to protect your system. But I'm using Windows Defender Microsoft Anti-Virus software and it is also great software to protect your system from viruses. Wndows Defender you can download from Microsoft website and it's free software. Still I'm using this software still working perfectly.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

The best thing to do is save all of your files in a secondary drive, then wipe and reinstall the entire operating system using your system disks.

You will have a new, clean system just like the day you bought the computer.

Some people recommend doing that every few years anyway.

Make sure you update your virus and malware signatures at least once a week to prevent this from happening again.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

^This exactly. Pretty much the only way.

Some viruses/trojans write to the registry etc in such a way that you can't really get rid of them.
I'm not a Windows hater but their scheme is such trash in some ways it's not even funny.

One should also know what to click or download and what not to. I never use any antivirus and never get anything.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

What about stuff like windows 10 and office that you can only install once on a machine. Dont you lose it by wiping put your hard drive?
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:The best thing to do is save all of your files in a secondary drive, then wipe and reinstall the entire operating system using your system disks.

You will have a new, clean system just like the day you bought the computer.

Some people recommend doing that every few years anyway.

Make sure you update your virus and malware signatures at least once a week to prevent this from happening again.
I'd like to paraphrase. Here's the skinny:

(1.0) Partition your hard drive into two logical drives: C-Drive as the kernel (Windows), and whatever singular-letter (Windows) to choose for your secondary logical drive. Using the UNC (universal naming convention), you can do this on any operating system from Linux Mint to Fedora to iOS of Mac's to Ubuntu too.

(1.5) The C-Drive (Windows) would be the System Drive; the other logical drives would be for Data. Remember (Window Users), don't save and download to My Documents (Downloads/Music/Pictures). If you do, make sure you go into File Explorer and cut and paste those files in those locations into other logical non-System drives.

(2.0) If you have specific group of things that you do on your computer (e.g. music creation, movie editing/audio dubbing, running a web server/programming), make a virtual machine using the free Oracle's VirtualBox and/or the free VMPlayer. I prefer the paid-for vmWare Pro Workstation AND install all that software into that environment. I produce music on it, and the audio latency is the same as if it were on my actual host drive. How cool is that?
However, somethings MUST be done in the host versus the virtual environment: like using your GPU (graphics card) for image recognition. It has been hard to use TensorFlow virtually although CUDA from NVIDIA installs properly. The only caveat is that I have to defrag it daily, which leads to point numero 3.....

(3.0) download the free Piriform Defraggler from http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download/portable. I use it to defrag my virtual disks at least once a day because I heavily-use them.
You want to try to get your fragmented files all the way down to 1 frag only. 0 frag is impossible because every file has at least one frag. This defragging tool is way more intrinsic to doing its job then the default defragmenter that comes with Windows.