For those in China who need a VPN

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Winston
Site Admin

Re: For those in China who need a VPN

Post by Winston »

Update:

Just to let you all know, when I was in China, most of the VPN apps would not work at all. Except for two:

Opera VPN
Betternet VPN

Only those two seem to work. Of the two, Opera VPN is better because the other one, Betternet, contains too many popup ads. Also Opera VPN will automatically reconnect you if your connection goes off and comes on again. Until you switch it off. So that's a good feature to have. You can get both of them on Google Play Store. I just keep Betternet VPN as a backup, but it's probably not necessary.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

PureVPN works OK for me. VPN generally works better on a PC than a phone. I've also got Connectify on my PC to share my wifi as a wireless router. It works really well although I had to fiddle around with it and I think antivirus software interferes with it.

A lot of sites work in China (Bing for instance) but it's irritating how many sites reference Google fonts or JavaScript files and thus are rendered useless. If you're building a website put all the files on your own server for f*cks sake!!!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Master
Junior Poster
Location: Insane Asylum, Strip Joints, Playboy Mansion, Public Enemies List No.1, Harley Quinn's Heart

Post by Master »

If the chinese dont want you to use vpn or illegal softwares and sites dont.

The consequences might be dire.
Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.
Become An Agent of Choas.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

xiongmao wrote:
April 10th, 2018, 3:02 am
PureVPN works OK for me. VPN generally works better on a PC than a phone. I've also got Connectify on my PC to share my wifi as a wireless router. It works really well although I had to fiddle around with it and I think antivirus software interferes with it.

A lot of sites work in China (Bing for instance) but it's irritating how many sites reference Google fonts or JavaScript files and thus are rendered useless. If you're building a website put all the files on your own server for f*cks sake!!!
Is PureVPN or Connectify free? Can you post the links to them? How much do they cost?

I don't get how these VPN sites still work in China? I mean the home page where you download the VPN's to use in China. They aren't blocked in China, though you think they would be. Do they bribe the Chinese government or something to allow them to be accessed? Otherwise they would go out of business.

Anyhow I found two VPN's that work on your mobile phone and they are free and reliable. I listed them above. You can download them from Google Play Store, however you should do that before you go to China or else it will be hard to get them once you're in China.

I had the apk installation files for them on my phone, so when I met up with zboy1, I was able to transfer them to him via bluetooth, so that he could install the VPN's on his phone from them. Apk files are the install files for apps. If you have them you can reinstall an app anytime or send it to others for them to install too.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Master wrote:
April 10th, 2018, 10:30 pm
If the chinese dont want you to use vpn or illegal softwares and sites dont.

The consequences might be dire.
Those laws primarily apply to China's own citizens, not to foreigners. They don't mind foreigners using VPN's in China to access their social media and sites, as long as they don't cause any trouble or havoc or any disruptions. This is an unspoken rule that everyone knows, especially experienced expats. No one pays attention to you as long as you don't cause trouble or get in the way of powerful people or organizations. As long as you don't disrupt the social harmony of the host country, you are generally fine and tolerated.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

What about Tor browser? Does it work in China? It has additional security measures such dynamic IPs and routers that VPNs don't have, which you even harder to trace.

https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

Lindaawilsoon
Freshman Poster

Post by Lindaawilsoon »

Winston wrote:
May 13th, 2018, 9:46 am
Is PureVPN or Connectify free? Can you post the links to them? How much do they cost?
PureVPN gets 4 out of 5 ratings, i have a personal experience with PureVPN, and not offering a free version.
https://www.bestvpn.co/best-vpn-for-china/
https://www.bestvpn.co/vpn-into-china/
Last edited by Lindaawilsoon on August 21st, 2019, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
leezhang
Freshman Poster

Post by leezhang »

I am a Chinese living in Germany. I would tell the straightforward solution.

1. If you have a limited usage, you can go with free option i.e. Hotspot Shield (tested myself)
2. For a large scale usage, for unblocking every kind of limitation, you have to go for paid options and Nord vpn and Express vpn are the best options. (Nordvpn is tested by myself).

See this guide for vpn list for China with guide for unblocking content, and other tips.
shijinying
Freshman Poster

Post by shijinying »

last time when i visited china i had issues in connecting to my facebook friends and coulgnot upload my pictures. but a friend of mine introduced me to a website (https://www.chinavpnz.com/)which eased my issues.
james
Freshman Poster

Post by james »

I m turkish living in china for past 5 years. China fire wall GFW restricts almost every foreign website in china.
1. you cannot get to social sites where your friends and family put their daily updates like; facebook etc
2. you are not free to use internet.
3. you cannot update your pics with your FnFs.

So I found this website(https://www.cheapchinavpn.com/) which helped me alot.
parker55
Freshman Poster

Post by parker55 »

My friend visited China in December and totally fed up with online restrictions he tried to use almost all free vpns but did get success to access social networks and even gmail account. He told me that GFW has high restrictions and its not easy to bypass geo restrictions even most of free and paid vpns are blocked.

I told him to try ExpressVPN and he was glad that it helps him to access all blocked website in China. I shared this website (https://www.bestvpnguru.com) to buy Expressvpn account.
Trolston
Freshman Poster

Post by Trolston »

I'd say that IPVanish really is a great option for those who need VPN. Here you can find How to install IPVanish and basically, with this service I've never had problems. Windscribe also is a nice one but I IPVanish was a better deal at the time.
KenPatrick
Freshman Poster

Post by KenPatrick »

Did you use PureVPN China vpn service https://www.purevpn.com/servers/china-vpn? Is it working fine in China. I m planning to travel China in September so i need to know about it otherwise i will have some other vpn service to avoid future probs.
sjinying
Freshman Poster

Post by sjinying »

years have past but chinese internet laws are getting more and more critical day by day. i used vpn as a daily routine and i found a website(https://www.bestvpn.co/best-vpn-for-china-cn/) which helps me alot to get my internet needs fulfilled.
nathandev
Freshman Poster

Post by nathandev »

I’m currently using Bullet VPN which is much more compatible than Express VPN in China. I switched from Express VPN due to connection problems every time. It was unable to connect to Hong Kong server. Streaming was impossible on Express VPN.

Right now my experience over Bullet VPN https://www.bulletvpn.com/ is excellent.