Update: WE ARE BACK ONLINE! The Forum has been RESTORED! See announcement here. If there are any problems or issues, please report them in the announcement thread. Note: Unfortunately I was not able to import the posts made after the crash (on Sept 18) into the restored forum. However, I exported all the posts submitted after the crash into a Word file, so you can download it, find your posts and re-post them. Download the posts here. Thanks for your patience and welcome back everyone!

Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme

For those in China who need a VPN

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

kennethhall250
Freshman Poster

Re: For those in China who need a VPN

Post by kennethhall250 » September 12th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Opera is a free resource, I will not recommend you to use free stuff for online security purpose. You should go with paid VPNs such as ExpressVPN, NordVPN or Surfshark. In these VPNs, Surfshark would be better for you as its pricing plans because it offers a whopping 85% discount on its 24 months plan. You will have to pay only $1.99 per month. For more details of this VPN, read here.

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Veteran Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer » October 10th, 2019, 11:30 am

NordVPN is the way. I sometimes use AirVPN based out of Italy as well

CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam » October 14th, 2019, 3:38 am

I am in China now and using ExpressVPN. It's been incredibly hit or miss recently.

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Veteran Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer » October 15th, 2019, 2:02 am

CannedHam wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 3:38 am
I am in China now and using ExpressVPN. It's been incredibly hit or miss recently.
NordVPN to HK and Taiwanese servers worked for me on a Shanghai layover.
NordVPN on Linux and Android OS's are best IMHO.

CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam » October 15th, 2019, 3:25 am

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 2:02 am
CannedHam wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 3:38 am
NordVPN to HK and Taiwanese servers worked for me on a Shanghai layover.
NordVPN on Linux and Android OS's are best IMHO.
When was this? I just recently read on another China forum that NordVPN has been unusable for the last month or so (since the 70th anniversary of the PRC). ExpressVPN on my laptop has been super flaky and pretty much unusable on my android phone. It's beyond irritating.

As an emergency fallback I can use my unlimited 2G (yuck) data on my cell for things like checking GMail, using Google, etc.