Discuss smart phones and laptops here

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Well it doesn't seem to run that hot anymore once I unplug the charger. Are you not supposed to leave it plugged in? I asked this in the last post. You might have missed it.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Winston wrote:Well it doesn't seem to run that hot anymore once I unplug the charger. Are you not supposed to leave it plugged in? I asked this in the last post. You might have missed it.
That is a big no no Winston. My mother did this, and her battery eventually died, and now she has to keep it plugged in all the time.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
ringspun
Freshman Poster

Post by ringspun »

Winston, get an iPhone dude... best travel tool EVER!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: - I just bought an Asus netbook. It looks nice. But it seems slow and hangs a lot when you have several tabs open in your browser. Also the keyboard is weird in that I often have to push a lot of keys twice. And the bottom of the netbook is very hot, almost too hot to touch. Why is that? Is that normal for a netbook?
- I got a high end Nokia Lumina smart phone for Dianne. It uses Windows 8. How does that compare to Android? Does it have the same apps? Will most website apps work on it?
- I got a problem with my Sony XPeria smart phone. The internal memory is only 500 MB. I thought that didn't matter because I could just install my apps on the SD Card. But that doesn't seem to be the case, because every app you install uses some of the internal memory. The thing is, most of the internal memory is already used up by the default apps that came with it. So I can only install a few apps before the internal memory maxes out and refuses to install anything. So it doesn't even matter how big my SD Card is. Is that f***ed or what? What can I do about that? Why did Sony XPeria give the phone so little internal storage? The Nokia Lumina phone I bought for Dianne has 8GB of internal storage.
Thanks.

1. If then netbook is not performing to your expectations, return it and get a refund.

2. How iOS, Android, and Windows Phone 8 compare to each other is up to the user. This is like the PC/Windows vs Mac/OSX vs Linux debate where it's pretty pointless. They all get the job done.

3. Sony XPeria phones with 1 GB internal storage reserves 50% of it for OS, leaving the rest (500 MB) for apps and games. The issue with moving apps/games to SD card is an Android OS issue and has nothing to do with Sony. You can ask your questions here: http://talk.sonymobile.com/community/support, but it's probably easier to just sell your phone and get a new one (with larger internal storage).
Last edited by momopi on June 22nd, 2015, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Momopi,
There are no refunds in the Philippines. Only exchanges. Didn't you know that? This is not the US.

Actually, my phone's storage says that I only have 300 MB internal memory total. So 700 MB must be already used up by the system that doesn't even show up. Weird. And so stupid too.

So why is it that you can leave a PC plugged in constantly but not a laptop or netbook?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wait a minute. Dianne just told me that you can power your laptop by removing the battery and plugging in the AC adapter. Is that true? I didn't know you could do that. I thought the battery had to be in for it to work? I didn't know you could remove it and plug in the adapter. Why didn't someone tell me this before? Sheesh. Are you supposed to do that whenever a power outlet is available?

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:Momopi,
There are no refunds in the Philippines. Only exchanges. Didn't you know that? This is not the US.
Actually, my phone's storage says that I only have 300 MB internal memory total. So 700 MB must be already used up by the system that doesn't even show up. Weird. And so stupid too.
So why is it that you can leave a PC plugged in constantly but not a laptop or netbook?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_eff ... r-charging
Winston wrote:Wait a minute. Dianne just told me that you can power your laptop by removing the battery and plugging in the AC adapter. Is that true? I didn't know you could do that. I thought the battery had to be in for it to work? I didn't know you could remove it and plug in the adapter. Why didn't someone tell me this before? Sheesh. Are you supposed to do that whenever a power outlet is available?
If you use the laptop battery, it reduces the battery life.

If you leave the battery in while you run the laptop on external power, it reduces the battery life.

If you remove the battery and put it in storage, the battery will eventually drain/discharge completely and it'd reduce the battery life.

Look, the battery is a disposable item. No matter how you use it, the battery life will decline over time. Stop worry about it and just use it. If it dies, it dies and you get a 3rd party replacement via Amazon.com.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yesterday at Best Buy, I could not find any netbooks. The staff told me that netbooks are no longer sold in US stores. Is that true? If so, why? They are still popular in Asia.

So in the US, you either choose between an expensive laptop, or a tablet that you can't do serious work on because it's a pain in the ass to type on, that I'd have to get an external keyboard for? That's stupid.

***JP***
Freshman Poster

Post by ***JP*** »

Winston wrote:Yesterday at Best Buy, I could not find any netbooks. The staff told me that netbooks are no longer sold in US stores. Is that true? If so, why? They are still popular in Asia.

So in the US, you either choose between an expensive laptop, or a tablet that you can't do serious work on because it's a pain in the a** to type on, that I'd have to get an external keyboard for? That's stupid.
Netbooks already passed their prime in the US. Nowadays everyone is buying tablets wether is iPad or Android based tablets. To me the tablet still doesn't replace the computer cause unlike normal laptops you can't add more space on a tablet like you can on a normal computer by just changing the hard drive and changing the ram. Also winston you should check online retailers like tigerdirect or newegg to find laptops at a good price.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Questions about laptops and cell phones

Post by Winston »

Momopi,
My netbook works nicely. But it is really slow. If I have more than two tabs open in my browser, it starts to hang and drag and pause for long periods. Everyday I lose hours waiting for it to stop hanging and pausing. So my question is: Are all netbooks like this? Is there one that's faster if I pay more? If so, which one do you recommend? And no I don't want a Mac so don't suggest that.

I don't want to carry a big laptop around when I go overseas because it takes up a lot of space and weight. My netbook is very lightweight and small and ideal. If it wasn't so slow and taking so long to load everything, it would be perfect.

Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Rather than starting a thread, I'd like to ask a question here.

I accidentally deleted a video that I made on my iphone 4 and I need to recover it. How do I do it? I tried iTunes and some other programs but nothing worked.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Johnny1975 wrote:Rather than starting a thread, I'd like to ask a question here.

I accidentally deleted a video that I made on my iphone 4 and I need to recover it. How do I do it? I tried iTunes and some other programs but nothing worked.
There are many free programs that can recover deleted videos, photos and files. But you have to do is ASAP before you write anything in the empty space. The erased files are still there in the empty space, but scrambled. If you write more files to the disk space, it will be harder to recover the data. So do it ASAP.

I've recovered photos from my camera after girls who didn't like their photos deleted them from my camera without asking my permission. lol

Here are some free programs you can find on Google. Just try each one from the top until one works.

https://www.google.com.tw/?gfe_rd=cr&ei ... lost+files

The ones that have worked for me are: Recuva and Pandora Recovery

Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Thanks Winston. I just tried Recuva but when I saw the results, I couldn't make head or tail of it. I need to recover the video from my phone. Do either of those programs do that?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Johnny1975 wrote:Thanks Winston. I just tried Recuva but when I saw the results, I couldn't make head or tail of it. I need to recover the video from my phone. Do either of those programs do that?
What did you see when you ran it? Did it show a list of files that are recoverable? Did you see a video extension on any of them? You can usually preview the recoverable files. The interface is easy to use. Did you read the help menu in the program? If Recuva doesn't work, try another one. If you haven't written any more data to the phone since you erased the video, the chances are very good that you can still recover the file. But video files are big so they may be a little more difficult to recover.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:Momopi,
My netbook works nicely. But it is really slow. If I have more than two tabs open in my browser, it starts to hang and drag and pause for long periods. Everyday I lose hours waiting for it to stop hanging and pausing. So my question is: Are all netbooks like this? Is there one that's faster if I pay more? If so, which one do you recommend? And no I don't want a Mac so don't suggest that.

I don't want to carry a big laptop around when I go overseas because it takes up a lot of space and weight. My netbook is very lightweight and small and ideal. If it wasn't so slow and taking so long to load everything, it would be perfect.

1. What is the model and specs on your netbook?

2. is the RAM upgradable?