Discuss smart phones and laptops here

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:Momopi,
The Hungarian guests that stayed with me said that they bought a netbook in the US for $200. Wow. That's cheap.
Is it better to get a netbook from Hong Kong or the US? Which has cheaper electronics and laptops? What do you think?
Buy from a company that has good support and driver downloads. Asus EEPC start at $220+, you can also check Acer and other brands. Check the cost of shipping from US.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Since I like sleek flip phones, I just got a Motorola KRZR from Ebay. Here's a picture of it below:

I got it from a seller with a good feedback record. But when I got it, the charger was broken, so I had to get a new one. Then I found other problems:

I can receive messages in Chinese but I can't forward them or send them. If I try to, it shows up as blank to the receiver and in my outbox. Weird. This phone came from Hong Kong, so you'd think that it could send messages in Chinese. Strange.

In my contact list, I can't type the first letter of the name to jump to it, like I can with other phones. WTF? I looked at the manual of the phone online in PDF from the Motorola website, and it says that you can jump by first letter in the contact list. But mine just blinks when I try to. WTF? It's tedious to have to scroll through the whole contact list to select a contact. That sucks. What is going on?

Also, in the create message window, when I'm typing a text message, it doesn't say how many characters are left before my message constitutes 2 text messages, like Nokia does. Why?

I asked the seller these questions but he's not answering. I hate it when sellers ignore you after your item is shipped and don't want to bother with you anymore.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Momopi,
I have a question. Dianne wants a laptop. If I get it one for her though, the biggest concern I have is that my son or someone else in their household could easily put a drink next to it and with one careless move, spill it onto the laptop keyboard, which would completely ruin it right?

That's really stupid that an expensive laptop can be destroyed by just one drink spilled into it from one careless move, which happens all the time on a table.

So I was wondering: If there a way to protect a laptop from drink spills? Is there a keyboard protector that you can put over it that would allow you to type at the same time? What would you recommend?

Also, how do you get the dust out of a keyboard? Is there a way to vacuum or suck it out? How do professional computer repair shops clean a keyboard?

Thanks.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

15 years in an IT job and I've never spilled my drink on my keyboard. It ain't gonna happen dude.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

There are numerous keyboard covers and keyboard skins avail on the market -- look on amazon.com. They do get dirty and icky after a while so buy a few and replace them as needed.

The best way to keep your kid away from your electronics is to give your kid his own electronics. Google "kid's laptop" or such.

You can clean keyboard dust with compressed air.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

momopi wrote:There are numerous keyboard covers and keyboard skins avail on the market -- look on amazon.com. They do get dirty and icky after a while so buy a few and replace them as needed.

The best way to keep your kid away from your electronics is to give your kid his own electronics. Google "kid's laptop" or such.

No I'm not talking about replaceable PC keyboards, I'm talking about LAPTOP keyboards. If you spill a drink onto it, it's toast right? How do you protect from that? Is there a cover you can put over a laptop keyboard that you can use while typing? I'm not talking about a keyboard cover you place over it when not in use. You can just close the laptop for that and it's too easy to forget to cover the keyboard. I'm talking about a permanent protective cover that you can use while operating the computer.

***JP***
Freshman Poster

Post by ***JP*** »

Winston wrote:
momopi wrote:There are numerous keyboard covers and keyboard skins avail on the market -- look on amazon.com. They do get dirty and icky after a while so buy a few and replace them as needed.

No I'm not talking about replaceable PC keyboards, I'm talking about LAPTOP keyboards. If you spill a drink onto it, it's toast right? How do you protect from that? Is there a cover you can put over a laptop keyboard that you can use while typing? I'm not talking about a keyboard cover you place over it when not in use. You can just close the laptop for that and it's too easy to forget to cover the keyboard. I'm talking about a permanent protective cover that you can use while operating the computer.

Well the covers offer some level of protection but remember that a laptop cannot be completely covered because the fans need room to breathe to keep it cool. Best way to protect the laptop is to pretty much be very responsible and not let any liquids near it. Also you may give a warning to your ex that if she doesn't take care of it there will not be a replacement laptop any time soon. In the case of your son I would check into a laptop for kids so he plays with that one and doesn't come near the normal laptop for your ex although I would tell her to take good care of it and not let anyone mess with it.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:

Keyboard covers and keyboard skins goes over the laptop keyboard. Yes, you type on it. I use bopomofo/zhuyin keyboard skin on my white MacBook:

The keyboard skin is moderately spill-proof. If you search for "keyboard skins" on amazon.com you'd get the MacBook ones by default. Since you don't use MacBook, search for "universal keyboard skins" instead.

As I've previously stated, they do get dirty, so buy a few and replace them every year or two.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Side note, for TF2 fans:

Balloonicorn taking over my desk.
WiseTruth
Freshman Poster

Post by WiseTruth »

I have a question. Dianne wants a laptop.

Why should you buy her one at all? Tell her to go buy one herself. You're not with her anymore, right? What's the worst that can happen?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Some questions and issues:

- If I want to manage this site while I travel, would a netbook or tablet be better?

- I just bought an Asus netbook. It looks nice. But it seems slow and hangs a lot when you have several tabs open in your browser. Also the keyboard is weird in that I often have to push a lot of keys twice. And the bottom of the netbook is very hot, almost too hot to touch. Why is that? Is that normal for a netbook?

- I got a high end Nokia Lumina smart phone for Dianne. It uses Windows 8. How does that compare to Android? Does it have the same apps? Will most website apps work on it?

- I got a problem with my Sony XPeria smart phone. The internal memory is only 500 MB. I thought that didn't matter because I could just install my apps on the SD Card. But that doesn't seem to be the case, because every app you install uses some of the internal memory. The thing is, most of the internal memory is already used up by the default apps that came with it. So I can only install a few apps before the internal memory maxes out and refuses to install anything. So it doesn't even matter how big my SD Card is. Is that f***ed or what? What can I do about that? Why did Sony XPeria give the phone so little internal storage? The Nokia Lumina phone I bought for Dianne has 8GB of internal storage.

Thanks.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

WiseTruth wrote:
I have a question. Dianne wants a laptop.

Why should you buy her one at all? Tell her to go buy one herself. You're not with her anymore, right? What's the worst that can happen?
We are together semi. Plus I have a close connection with her. She's a good person. You can ask Rock or Steve Neese or Ladislav. They've met her. She has also taken care of my son for years and been good. She has waited patiently for my return for a whole year too. So getting her a smart phone and laptop, which she has wanted for a long time, was the least I could do. Come on now. I like making her happy too. We have a connection you don't understand. If you met her, you'd see what I mean. I don't buy things for people that they don't deserve.

***JP***
Freshman Poster

Post by ***JP*** »

Winston wrote:Some questions and issues:

- If I want to manage this site while I travel, would a netbook or tablet be better?

- I just bought an Asus netbook. It looks nice. But it seems slow and hangs a lot when you have several tabs open in your browser. Also the keyboard is weird in that I often have to push a lot of keys twice. And the bottom of the netbook is very hot, almost too hot to touch. Why is that? Is that normal for a netbook?

- I got a high end Nokia Lumina smart phone for Dianne. It uses Windows 8. How does that compare to Android? Does it have the same apps? Will most website apps work on it?

- I got a problem with my Sony XPeria smart phone. The internal memory is only 500 MB. I thought that didn't matter because I could just install my apps on the SD Card. But that doesn't seem to be the case, because every app you install uses some of the internal memory. The thing is, most of the internal memory is already used up by the default apps that came with it. So I can only install a few apps before the internal memory maxes out and refuses to install anything. So it doesn't even matter how big my SD Card is. Is that f***ed or what? What can I do about that? Why did Sony XPeria give the phone so little internal storage? The Nokia Lumina phone I bought for Dianne has 8GB of internal storage.

Thanks.

You are better off with a laptop because tablets are still not up to par with the normal computer just yet especially while managing web pages. Don't get me wrong tablets are catching up and one day you will be able to manage a website from the tablet but remember also that tablets have less space.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Thanks. Could my netbook be so hot at the bottom because of the current from the charger? Are you supposed to unplug the charger when it's fully charged to prevent overheating?
Last edited by Winston on March 3rd, 2013, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

***JP***
Freshman Poster

Post by ***JP*** »

Winston wrote:Thanks. Could my netbook be so hot at the bottom because of the current from the charger? Are you supposed to unplug the charger when it's fully charged to prevent overheating?
Most computers, tablets and smart phones run hot because remember that these days the manufacturers put in powerful chips in very tight spaces. Also try not to put the netbook or laptop on blankets, couch cushions or anything that can block the air flow to it. Always keep it on a hard flat surface. You may also notice that your own smartphone gets hot when browsing the web, uploading photos to picasa or facebook and even when talking on skype from it. The processors these days are so powerful that they get very hot. But like I said in the case of a laptop or netbook it's better to keep it on a hard flat surface for ventilation purposes and especially if using it for a very long period of time.