Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme

Why do we need mattresses?

Discuss racial, ethnic and multicultural issues. Warning: The topics here are likely to be taboo, so if you are easily offended, you are better off not participating here.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why do we need mattresses?

Post by Cornfed » January 8th, 2016, 8:53 am

ChefCalvin wrote:That depends on the mattress, I think. And health. I mean, there are people with all kinds of back problems (just look up scoliosis on Wikipedia). And if this is anything to go by, most people are side sleepers, and they wouldn't feel too comfortable without a mattress.
What I do know is that sleeping on the naked floor is far from comfortable. Or a naked bed platform for that matter.
Have you spent any length of time getting used to it?

DanielLee5
Freshman Poster

Post by DanielLee5 » January 15th, 2018, 2:28 pm

How is it even possible to sleep without one? It is uncomfortable as hell :D Currently searching for a mattress by the way (according to this guidance ), my budget is rather limited now so I am on to buy a folding mattress, it is the best option for a temporary sleeping place + no particular bed needed. I am on to sleep on one before my house is completely repared. It can be used for guests in future, is compact and portable, so in any case it will be a reasonable purchase. Concerning the choosing of a mattress in general you should pay attention to the next factors: the price (must correspond the quality), support (firm/medium/soft), comfort (what type of sleeper are you? side sleeper? stomach sleeper?), type of material (latex, memory foam, spring, air, hybrid, etc.) and warranty. Good manufacturers always provide with solid warranty term, up to 20 years sometimes. Anyways I think mattress is a necessary accessory, in some cases it can even fight orthopedic problems and relieve pains.

MrMan
Veteran Poster

Post by MrMan » January 15th, 2018, 6:04 pm

I recently went to visit my wife's relatives. Part of that involved spending a couple of nights on the floor at a relative's house. I'd almost slept on a mattress, one of three, next to a bunch of other visiting relatives, but I preferred the place with the floor because of the lack of cats and dogs walking around and the only sit-down toilet I'd seen for 100 miles in the bathroom.

But sleeping on the floor is uncomfortable. Between laying on the floor on my side to sleep and sitting Indian style for way too long, my hips were sore.

A futon or similar cushion on the floor can be comfortable to sleep on. I had an uncomfortble mattress once that was too hard. I got a memory foam topper for it. The height was good for offering some variety the love life with the missus, kind of like risers on a bed. It also made for a comfortable mat on the floor to sleep on. The problem is it was too unweildy to fold up, and might rip if you tried, so you don't get the advantage of floor space you get with a mattress or bad that is easy to remove from the floor.

A mattress that doesn't lay on the floor like with the conventional western bed insulates against cold coming up from the floor in colder climates. You can also store stuff under the bed.

Return to “Racial, Ethnic and Multicultural Issues”