How does everyone drive so fast and dangerously without anxiety or fear?!

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Winston
Site Admin

How does everyone drive so fast and dangerously without anxiety or fear?!

Post by Winston »

I don't understand something.

Why do people speed on the road, as though it were cool, even when they are not on any schedule? It's as if it were innate in people to speed and pass other cars up. We've all been in cars with drivers who go full throttle and pass up everyone on the road in zig zags, as though it were "super cool".

Why would someone risk their life and car just to go fast as though it were "cool"? Almost everyone I've ridden in a car with has floored the pedal it as though it were human nature. What is it about speed that's so exhilarating that people will take unnecessary risks for it? It doesn't seem logical. Why are people proud to say, "I'm a speed demon"?

Everyone does it, so it is human nature?

Again, I don't understand people. How come I'm not like that? How come I'm happy to drive safely? How come everyone else thinks it's cool to go fast and break the speed limit?

I can understand rushing if you're late somewhere, but people do it wherever they go, as though it were human nature. Why? If it were human nature, how come I don't do it? Could I not be human?
Last edited by Winston on September 16th, 2014, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

Over the years people have lost respect for the automobile in combination with the fact that the newer cars can get up to speed more quickly and can stop much faster. In fact, these newer cars are built so well you don't "feel" that you're going fast unless you look at the speedometer.

Regardless, I do agree with you Winston. My dad grew up in the 60's/70's and was apart of the generation of guys racing in the back streets with 440 Mopars and Chevy Novas, I then got into it in the 90's and my generation was racing 302 5.0 Mustangs and 87 Grand Nationals.

There was a code where we only raced in the back streets late a night and sometimes even the cops would park and just watch the races and leave us alone. This is what it looked like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR2YbNSMILo

But NOW? It's all turned to crap!! The generation after me has lost the respect for the automobile and every one of them thinks they're race car drivers. They race during the day, in school zones, and on major blvds with no concern for other peoples safety.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

Northamericanguy wrote:But NOW? It's all turned to crap!! The generation after me has lost the respect for the automobile and every one of them thinks they're race car drivers. They race during the day, in school zones, and on major blvds with no concern for other peoples safety.
Well a film by the name of The Fast and The Furious came out.. which I already discussed on here. It's not only the generation that spoiled, look at the police these days. They became more gestapo-like, even painting their cars black rather than blue. The youth of today has NO OUTLET so they probably figure might as well race in the streets because cops today harrass them even if they go to a cornfield in the middle of nowhere to take a piss let alone have some fun (with or without cars).
Winston wrote:Why would someone risk their life and car just to go fast as though it were "cool"? Almost everyone I've ridden in a car with has floored the pedal it as though it were human nature. What is it about speed that's so exhilarating that people will take unnecessary risks for it? It doesn't seem logical. Why are people proud to say, "I'm a speed demon"?
Speed is one thrill they didn't have prior to the 20th century. But most people do it because they're impatient, and more specifically because they're idiots. You know how stupid people get lost in movies? And say things like "What an evil bastard!" (and I look at them thinking, "it's an actor"). Well that's how people get lost in their cars. They have no awareness, no sense of relativity. And yes it is indeed scary to ride with people who are driving above their limits. A driver should be aware of his and his car's limitations and always be calculating, not looking only 1 step ahead and jerking the wheel around as if they're playing a video game.

But most people live unconciously, in some dream state. You put an idiot behind the wheel and what do you expect? I like to drive fast because cars are for getting places quickly.. if I had time to spare I would walk! But I actually take physics into account which keeps the safety margin about the same. In many cases I feel driving fast is safer when idiots are on the road. One thing the majority of the human population does poorly is drive. Finland and Germany have good drivers, everywhere else they're bad to horrid. Americans piss me off because they drive like pill-heads. Pick your poison. Suicidal maniacs like French or Italians are known for or the lethargic pill-heads of North American.

You're effiminated (and Chinese) :twisted: so I wouldn't expect you to understand but driving/riding is an artform when you push your car and yourself to the limit.
Here's my asian drivers post viewtopic.php?t=10423
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

odbo wrote:
Northamericanguy wrote:But NOW? It's all turned to crap!! The generation after me has lost the respect for the automobile and every one of them thinks they're race car drivers. They race during the day, in school zones, and on major blvds with no concern for other peoples safety.
Well a film by the name of The Fast and The Furious came out.. which I already discussed on here. It's not only the generation that spoiled, look at the police these days. They became more gestapo-like, even painting their cars black rather than blue. The youth of today has NO OUTLET so they probably figure might as well race in the streets because cops today harrass them even if they go to a cornfield in the middle of nowhere to take a piss let alone have some fun (with or without cars).
Winston wrote:Why would someone risk their life and car just to go fast as though it were "cool"? Almost everyone I've ridden in a car with has floored the pedal it as though it were human nature. What is it about speed that's so exhilarating that people will take unnecessary risks for it? It doesn't seem logical. Why are people proud to say, "I'm a speed demon"?
Speed is one thrill they didn't have prior to the 20th century. But most people do it because they're impatient, and more specifically because they're idiots. You know how stupid people get lost in movies? And say things like "What an evil bastard!" (and I look at them thinking, "it's an actor"). Well that's how people get lost in their cars. They have no awareness, no sense of relativity. And yes it is indeed scary to ride with people who are driving above their limits. A driver should be aware of his and his car's limitations and always be calculating, not looking only 1 step ahead and jerking the wheel around as if they're playing a video game.

But most people live unconciously, in some dream state. You put an idiot behind the wheel and what do you expect? I like to drive fast because cars are for getting places quickly.. if I had time to spare I would walk! But I actually take physics into account which keeps the safety margin about the same. In many cases I feel driving fast is safer when idiots are on the road. One thing the majority of the human population does poorly is drive. Finland and Germany have good drivers, everywhere else they're bad to horrid. Americans piss me off because they drive like pill-heads. Pick your poison. Suicidal maniacs like French or Italians are known for or the lethargic pill-heads of North American.

You're effiminated (and Chinese) :twisted: so I wouldn't expect you to understand but driving/riding is an artform when you push your car and yourself to the limit.
Here's my asian drivers post viewtopic.php?t=10423

Yea, the movie FF f*** up everything. Hollywood took what was underground and made it mainstream. Even worse they made guys with imports think they could really have a chance racing against a high torque American cars. GTFOH!!!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

;p

Initial-D fans might also like Wangan Midnight:

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I have a question. When I met Mark Davis and rode in his car, I noticed that he drove on the road it was a race track. It felt kind of dangerous.

Why do most guys do that? Isn't that dangerous? Why play with fire? I don't understand the logic in it.

How do guys drive their cars like race cars without fear of crashing? What happened to their survival instinct? Why do they have no fear of danger? Speed is dangerous right? So why do most guys have no fear of it?

I don't get it. Can anyone explain this logically?

Would such guys mind if I waved a sword in front of them, inches from their face? lol

Here is a funny quote by Data from Star Trek when he and Captain Picard are driving in a dune buggy:

"Captain, I've never understood the human propensity to pilot vehicles at unsafe velocities."
- Commander Data to Captain Picard in Star Trek Nemesis
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

I have found this everywhere in India, more so in Thailand, where roads accidents are the highest in the world.

One Word - Japanese.

Most of the super fast bikes are made in Japan, but there is hardly any accidents in Japan itself. Japan has one of the lowest road accidents in the world. When I was in Thailand. All crazy riders on Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki were either Thai's, Russians, Western tourist or Indians.

All roads accidents involving super bikers were Non-Japanese. I have never seen a Japanese show off in their own Bikes in Bars..Like...hey girl, these guys don't know how to ride our bikes..hop in..let me show you how to really ride a Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki etc lines to pick up women.

Its an Irony that the country that makes super fast bikes and cars have one of the lowest road accidents in the world. There is so much to learn from the Japanese. They also have the least crime rate overall.

I believe majority of humanity lack the mental discipline to ride on vehicles. They haven't got control over their own senses aka Animal - Reptilian part of the brain still controls them. The rush, thrill men talk of really is the Reptilian Part of brain taking control over them. Most haven't evolved much.

Most riders should learn from the Japanese on how to be human first...or get a certificate of mental stability along with DL.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: How does everyone drive so fast and dangerously without anxiety or fear?!

Post by Winston »

I'm back in las vegas now. I have a question for everyone.

I noticed while driving long distance everywhere that almost every driver on the road, at least 90 percent, likes to drive really fast around 80mph and is always passing me up on the road. I dont get why.

I mean for me, driving at 60 or 65 mph is a sweet spot. Not too fast or slow. I dont like to go over 70 mph because it feels very dangerous and the car feels like its spinning out of control. Plus the wind starts blowing too, as if the universe were telling me that im not meant to be a speed demon.

One time i disobeyed the universe and karma and tried going at 75 mph to keep up with this girl i knew in fremont who was driving super fast and didnt care. I got a bad feeling about it and then seconds later my tire popped. So my intuition was right. It was a pain changing tires on the shoulder of a freeway. All because of an inconsiderate friend.

Anyway my question is: how the hell can everyone drive 80 mph on the road and not feel any anxiety or danger about it? Yet they are afraid to be themselves or talk to strangers or say anything politically incorrect or give a negative response to "how are you" etc. Go figure. How can this be?

Is everyone on some different wavelength than me where its safe to go 80 mph? I dont get it. Especially on a crowded freeway like I 15 through las vegas with many cars changing lanes without any anxiety as though it were nothing.

How the hell does everyone do that and not get scared? Ive been asking this question for decades. No one ever explains this to me. All they do is laugh at me for being a slow driver or ignore the question.

On the forum @momopi mocks me and tells me i need to take driving classes to improve my driving skill. Yet i dont have bad driving skills. Ive never had an accident. And i am very good at video games. I am just paranoid and uncomfortable with high speed. Yet everyone acts like high speed is normal, even the average joe does.

How can this be? Ive been baffled by this since the 90s. Is everyone on a totally different wavelength than me?

I have one theory. If everyone is connected to a hive mind or group consciousness, even without knowing it, then they may feel safer driving fast around other cars. Kind of like how hundreds of bats can fast inside a cave without hitting each other, because they are all connected to a hive consciousness. Or how an audience in a lecture somehow knows when to laugh or clap at the same time automatically without thinking about it.

So, since im not part of the mainstream hive then i am not in rhythm with others so i do not feel safe driving fast like everyone else. And since im not of this world im not comfortable with speed or heights in general like others are.

Thats the only theory i can think of. What do you think?

Or perhaps i just have phobias of speed and height that normal people dont have. Even my son doesnt have my phobias. He can look down from a railing high in the air and feel no fear, which i cannot do at all because i go into panic mode if i try.

Anyhow, what I dont get is, how do most people not feel anxiety or danger driving at high speeds? And why do nearly all drivers do it nowadays? How is everyone so skilled at driving when they suck at video games? How does everyone have such superb hand eye coordination?

HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Winston wrote:
November 24th, 2018, 3:44 pm
I'm back in las vegas now. I have a question for everyone.

I noticed while driving long distance everywhere that almost every driver on the road, at least 90 percent, likes to drive really fast around 80mph and is always passing me up on the road. I dont get why.

I mean for me, driving at 60 or 65 mph is a sweet spot. Not too fast or slow. I dont like to go over 70 mph because it feels very dangerous and the car feels like its spinning out of control. Plus the wind starts blowing too, as if the universe were telling me that im not meant to be a speed demon.

One time i disobeyed the universe and karma and tried going at 75 mph to keep up with this girl i knew in fremont who was driving super fast and didnt care. I got a bad feeling about it and then seconds later my tire popped. So my intuition was right. It was a pain changing tires on the shoulder of a freeway. All because of an inconsiderate friend.

Anyway my question is: how the hell can everyone drive 80 mph on the road and not feel any anxiety or danger about it? Yet they are afraid to be themselves or talk to strangers or say anything politically incorrect or give a negative response to "how are you" etc. Go figure. How can this be?

Is everyone on some different wavelength than me where its safe to go 80 mph? I dont get it. Especially on a crowded freeway like I 15 through las vegas with many cars changing lanes without any anxiety as though it were nothing.

How the hell does everyone do that and not get scared? Ive been asking this question for decades. No one ever explains this to me. All they do is laugh at me for being a slow driver or ignore the question.

On the forum @momopi mocks me and tells me i need to take driving classes to improve my driving skill. Yet i dont have bad driving skills. Ive never had an accident. And i am very good at video games. I am just paranoid and uncomfortable with high speed. Yet everyone acts like high speed is normal, even the average joe does.

How can this be? Ive been baffled by this since the 90s. Is everyone on a totally different wavelength than me?

I have one theory. If everyone is connected to a hive mind or group consciousness, even without knowing it, then they may feel safer driving fast around other cars. Kind of like how hundreds of bats can fast inside a cave without hitting each other, because they are all connected to a hive consciousness. Or how an audience in a lecture somehow knows when to laugh or clap at the same time automatically without thinking about it.

So, since im not part of the mainstream hive then i am not in rhythm with others so i do not feel safe driving fast like everyone else. And since im not of this world im not comfortable with speed or heights in general like others are.

Thats the only theory i can think of. What do you think?

Or perhaps i just have phobias of speed and height that normal people dont have. Even my son doesnt have my phobias. He can look down from a railing high in the air and feel no fear, which i cannot do at all because i go into panic mode if i try.

Anyhow, what I dont get is, how do most people not feel anxiety or danger driving at high speeds? And why do nearly all drivers do it nowadays? How is everyone so skilled at driving when they suck at video games? How does everyone have such superb hand eye coordination?
You never developed the skill and control to handle high speed driving. Vehicle also makes a huge difference, as I can do high speed maneuvers much more safely in my high performance vehicle than I could in my Camry- I feel more safe at 110 in this than I did at 80 in that 4 banger. You're also older, so your reflexes and senses are fading in subtle ways, worsened by the fact that you never developed them to begin with when it comes to the road. I find myself more skittish as I age as well, my reflexes just aren't what they once were.
traveller
Junior Poster

Post by traveller »

Winston wrote:
July 12th, 2011, 7:14 am
I don't understand something.

Why do people speed on the road, as though it were cool, even when they are not on any schedule? It's as if it were innate in people to speed and pass other cars up. We've all been in cars with drivers who go full throttle and pass up everyone on the road in zig zags, as though it were "super cool".

Why would someone risk their life and car just to go fast as though it were "cool"? Almost everyone I've ridden in a car with has floored the pedal it as though it were human nature. What is it about speed that's so exhilarating that people will take unnecessary risks for it? It doesn't seem logical. Why are people proud to say, "I'm a speed demon"?

Everyone does it, so it is human nature?

Again, I don't understand people. How come I'm not like that? How come I'm happy to drive safely? How come everyone else thinks it's cool to go fast and break the speed limit?

I can understand rushing if you're late somewhere, but people do it wherever they go, as though it were human nature. Why? If it were human nature, how come I don't do it? Could I not be human?
You have exactly described drivers in Illinois, especially in and near Chicago. Illinoisans are the worst drivers I have ever seen. The instant the light turns green, they are zig zagging around each other at double, even triple the speed limit. Illinoisans blow through red lights almost daily. They blow through railroad crossings when the gates are lowered and the lights are flashing, even when the train is less than 50 feet away and closing in at 60 miles an hour. And every 2 to 4 weeks you hear of someone (in Chicagoland) that got hit by a train. Sometimes it's a freight train, more often it's a Metra. And it only takes about 10 seconds for a Metra to pass by. Like Illinoisans only care about getting to work hours early and they don't want to be told that a Metra takes just 10 seconds to pass, and travelling at 60 miles an hour, takes up to 10 football fields to come to a stop after hitting the brakes. Freight trains at similar speeds can take up to a mile and a half to stop after hitting the brakes.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:
November 24th, 2018, 3:44 pm
What I actually said:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18422&p=160763&hil ... ng#p160763

”So, here you have a choice. You can ask repetitive questions like hitting your head against a brick wall over and over again, or you can do something about it and learn how to improve your driving skills from the pro's:
http://www.grandsportspeedway.com/order ... ?cPath=125

If you choose to talk instead of do, then there's nothing I can do for you.”

—————————————————-

This thread is now 8 years old. You are still talking about your discomfort with speed instead of actually doing something about it. If you’re serious about overcoming your discomfort, or at least push the limits, it’s probably safer to do on a private track with qualified/insured instructor. Mare sure you discuss exactly what you want and expectations prior to payment.

https://racingadventures.com/school/

So, do you want to be behind the wheel on a racetrack pushing the limits of your discomfort with high speeds, or do you want to just talk, make excuses, and write repetitive rants?
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

traveller wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 12:39 am
You have exactly described drivers in Illinois, especially in and near Chicago. Illinoisans are the worst drivers I have ever seen. The instant the light turns green, they are zig zagging around each other at double, even triple the speed limit. Illinoisans blow through red lights almost daily. They blow through railroad crossings when the gates are lowered and the lights are flashing, even when the train is less than 50 feet away and closing in at 60 miles an hour.

Chicago area drivers are some of the most aggressive drivers in the United States. They always drive over the speed limit, they tailgate all the time, they cut drivers off and almost never use their turn signals.

Also, road rage is common, so is people driving through red lights and blowing past stop signs.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."