TV, I hate it!!

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
EntrepreneurNet
Freshman Poster

Post by EntrepreneurNet »

The only Reason why TV exists, AT ALL, is to sell advertising space. And radio.. And newspapers, and all other forms of mass media.

To convince the rabid consumer that he/she needs to buy every single piece of shit our factories and service economy can producte: to "look cool".. fit in or otherwise "be successful in life".. Including getting LOTS of hot women: http://www.theaxeeffect.com/ (yeah, good work Unilever! I'm really convinced.)

The internet is a different animal though. Because unlike TV - on the internet you can halfway control what they try to force into your head. It was created before advertising online was a profitable business model. Of course now the marketers control 75-80% of all Internet traffic.. But the difference is You CAN "hit the back button", close the page, and block out most of the marketing spam: http://adblockplus.org/en/

Most people from the "Old Media" generation - the TV addictes - do not even realize that this technolgy exists. Many of my friends (young 20's) are too ignorant to use AdBlock. If my parent's knew what AdBlock was it would BLOW their mind!

Anyway, they're brainwashed, to the point where they actually ENJOY watching commericals. And you can cite the poor sales of TiVo's as a symptom of this - not its *cause.

It's sad how many years the average person wastes watching TV. They watch literally YEARS of TV commercial in a lifetime: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 246AApnUgI

And that's not all: Producers have to put in "product placements" and "tailor" their shows to satisfying their Sponsors, or their network. Just look at the NFL Superbowl and what an F'n joke that has become?? How many people do personally know, who say they actually "Enjoy watching Superbowl commercials"? As if the medium itself was an Art form: http://www.creativeadawards.com/
How many young white men, with small penises, from the age of 18-35 own a 5,000 lb gas guzzling pickup truck???

Commercials are not= entertainment. They're brainwashing. Always were.

Anyway, that was my little rant on the commercialization of our media. :) I Honestly don't think entertainment in itself is a bad thing.. Just 99% of it is absolute garbage anyway. Even if you took out the commercials.
Everdred
Freshman Poster

Post by Everdred »

One of the only good TV shows still being made is Locked Up Abroad on the National Geographic Channel. Any travel enthusiasts should watch this TV show because sometimes the stories you can relate to. It's always interesting to hear how people got themselves into such bad situations, and it's also interesting to hear about how they survived in prison. The show will scare the shit out of you from doing anything illegal in foreign countries.
ajvf97
Freshman Poster

Post by ajvf97 »

I cancelled my cable back in May. I don't even have one of those converter boxes for local channels. All that remains is my TV with a DVD/Blu-ray player for watching my movie collection. With the exception of tuning in to watch some sports, there was nothing but mediocre programming on. That's simply not worth the expensive monthly bill. I don't miss TV one bit.
ILoveBlackAmericanWomen
Freshman Poster

Post by ILoveBlackAmericanWomen »

True I don't need t.v I lived without it and my sister would come over saying how do you do it? I just don't need it.
To be white or black - is to not be a human, but a living definition and label. To be a slave to definition, to fashion, to the industries that market us like cattle, emptying our pockets like the udders of the cow, being paid to cut our bodies for cosmetics, benefiting off of putting harsh chemicals on our heads, making money off of us choosing to live and participate in the reality they created. Don't be "black", don't be "white", don''t be "Asian", don't be "Latin." Destroy the illusion, become human.
Anti-American
Freshman Poster

Post by Anti-American »

I also don't need TV. I can do without movies as well. I just watch documentaries. Television is one of the reasons America is f***ed up.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

I watch Mad Men, great show. Other than that, I'm happy Toonami has returned to Cartoon Network. I also watch Avengers on Disney XD, which is going to be cancelled and replaced with new Avengers series based closer on the current movies than the comic books as the current one is, big mistake IMHO.

I watch the majority of news channels, Press TV, Russia Today: America (RT America), the mothership (RT) , Aljazeera English and Current TV.

I watch a few shows on HGTV and Travel Channel, No Reservations being one and House Hunters: International for another.

Beyond that, I watch a ton of racing, FIA World GT1, Blancpain series, American Le Mans Series (ALMS), World Touring Car Championship (just recently in Northern California), BTCC though I have backed off that and Aussie V8's just going to wait until next season.

I got lots of Anime and 80's Toons like Transformers (G1, G2 and the Movie), M.A.S.K, Robotech, Starvengers, Gunsmith Cats, Jayce and The Wheeled Warriors, etc, etc, etc.

Windows Media Center PC (2 Tuners) + XBMC (TV Shows, Movies, Anime, You Tube, Revision3, TwIT) + GameEX (for console and MAME Emulation) + Windows Home Server 2011
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

djfourmoney wrote:I watch Mad Men, great show. Other than that, I'm happy Toonami has returned to Cartoon Network. I also watch Avengers on Disney XD, which is going to be cancelled and replaced with new Avengers series based closer on the current movies than the comic books as the current one is, big mistake IMHO.

I watch the majority of news channels, Press TV, Russia Today: America (RT America), the mothership (RT) , Aljazeera English and Current TV.

I watch a few shows on HGTV and Travel Channel, No Reservations being one and House Hunters: International for another.

Beyond that, I watch a ton of racing, FIA World GT1, Blancpain series, American Le Mans Series (ALMS), World Touring Car Championship (just recently in Northern California), BTCC though I have backed off that and Aussie V8's just going to wait until next season.

I got lots of Anime and 80's Toons like Transformers (G1, G2 and the Movie), M.A.S.K, Robotech, Starvengers, Gunsmith Cats, Jayce and The Wheeled Warriors, etc, etc, etc.

Windows Media Center PC (2 Tuners) + XBMC (TV Shows, Movies, Anime, You Tube, Revision3, TwIT) + GameEX (for console and MAME Emulation) + Windows Home Server 2011
So all i have to do is wash dishes to earn my keep, sire? Lol no homo.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
terminator
Junior Poster

Post by terminator »

I still watch some shows so I can see how the world is manipulated. I do this as one year I never watched any TV and I didn't realise how evil people were copying characters from shows, so I got scammed!
ILoveBlackAmericanWomen
Freshman Poster

Post by ILoveBlackAmericanWomen »

djfourmoney wrote:I watch Mad Men, great show. Other than that, I'm happy Toonami has returned to Cartoon Network. I also watch Avengers on Disney XD, which is going to be cancelled and replaced with new Avengers series based closer on the current movies than the comic books as the current one is, big mistake IMHO.

I like mad men also
To be white or black - is to not be a human, but a living definition and label. To be a slave to definition, to fashion, to the industries that market us like cattle, emptying our pockets like the udders of the cow, being paid to cut our bodies for cosmetics, benefiting off of putting harsh chemicals on our heads, making money off of us choosing to live and participate in the reality they created. Don't be "black", don't be "white", don''t be "Asian", don't be "Latin." Destroy the illusion, become human.