Why Taiwan SUCKS in all areas except food & safety

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why Taiwan Sucks - My Complaints and No Win Situation

Post by Winston »

eurobrat wrote:
Winston wrote:I just want to make a vehement rant:

TAIWAN SUCKS!!!
WOW Winston... It took you 5 years to figure this out! 5 years man!

*Pats Winston on back*

"Good job mate".
Why do you suck so bad at numbers? First you saw that the Marina video clip was 10 years, ago and now you say that it took me 5 years to realize that Taiwan sucks? I wrote anti-Taiwan articles years ago. They are documented on this forum even. "Taiwan sucks" is just a nutshell version of how I feel. But I knew it sucked long ago. It was obvious.

Why do you suck so bad with numbers? I'm sure glad you aren't someone's accountant or else they'd be bankrupt or convicted of fraud. lol

Btw, what do you all think of this Taiwanese girl's letter to me about why she was happier and freer in Australia than Taiwan?

"And I have to say. I don't understand this place too!! I was much happier n free when I was in OZ. In TW, there are so many rules. Well I mean the rules in everyone's mind. Like if u don't think like what they think, u r called a freak. Sorry even I'm Taiwanese, I don't like some culture here. Especially the "restrictions" of one's mind. Also, when u work here, colleagues are hard to be frds, even u guys talks a lot but when shit happened, they become ur enemies straight away. Maybe this happens everywhere, I don't know. I always feel hard to make new frds here. Ppl are nicer in OZ. So somehow I can understand how u feel!"

It's so true. The energy and vibe in Taiwan definitely feels uptight and anal. It's hard to put into words. But she described it well didn't she?

Don't I inspire you all to go to Taiwan? lol

Since I most likely hold the world record in publishing the highest number of anti-Taiwan articles, and probably have the biggest "Taiwan sucks" campaign online, I probably have done more to damage Taiwan's image for tourism than Janet Hsieh has to promote it on TV. lol So in that sense, I've undone all the tons of money that the Taiwan tourism bureau spent on her. lol I'm surprised the Taiwan bureau of tourism hasn't contacted me yet to pressure or threaten me about it. lol If they want to shut me up, they should hire some hot models to come party with me to try to change my views of Taiwan. lol That would be the smart thing to do. lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:
eurobrat wrote:

TAIWAN SUCKS!!!

*Pats Winston on back*

"Good job mate".
Why do you suck so bad at numbers? First you saw that the Marina video clip was 10 years, ago and now you say that it took me 5 years to realize that Taiwan sucks? I wrote anti-Taiwan articles years ago. They are documented on this forum even. "Taiwan sucks" is just a nutshell version of how I feel. But I knew it sucked long ago. It was obvious.

Why do you suck so bad with numbers? I'm sure glad you aren't someone's accountant or else they'd be bankrupt or convicted of fraud. lol

Btw, what do you all think of this Taiwanese girl's letter to me about why she was happier and freer in Australia than Taiwan?

"And I have to say. I don't understand this place too!! I was much happier n free when I was in OZ. In TW, there are so many rules. Well I mean the rules in everyone's mind. Like if u don't think like what they think, u r called a freak. Sorry even I'm Taiwanese, I don't like some culture here. Especially the "restrictions" of one's mind. Also, when u work here, colleagues are hard to be frds, even u guys talks a lot but when shit happened, they become ur enemies straight away. Maybe this happens everywhere, I don't know. I always feel hard to make new frds here. Ppl are nicer in OZ. So somehow I can understand how u feel!"

It's so true. The energy and vibe in Taiwan definitely feels uptight and anal. It's hard to put into words. But she described it well didn't she?

Since I most likely hold the world record in publishing the highest number of anti-Taiwan articles, and probably have the biggest "Taiwan sucks" campaign online, I probably have done more to damage Taiwan's image for tourism than Janet Hsieh has to promote it on TV. lol So in that sense, I've undone all the tons of money that the Taiwan tourism bureau spent on her. lol I'm surprised the Taiwan bureau of tourism hasn't contacted me yet to pressure or threaten me about it. lol If they want to shut me up, they should hire some hot models to come party with me to try to change my views of Taiwan. lol That would be the smart thing to do. lol
This unsatisfied local Taiwan girl brings up an interesting perspective - Taipei has plenty of girls who feel that way inside to some degree and guess what, many of them gravitate to western foreigners in Taiwan if it's not convenient for them to leave. When these girls get with foreign guys, they are often keen to 'act foreign' or 'act American' as per their perceptions in the mass media or movies. So they sometimes do things you would have a hard time imagining from seemingly reserved Taiwanese. It's kinda like white chicks who are into the hip-hop scene and try to act like rap video girls around black guys, lol.

Perhaps this is one reason Taipei can be a good dating environment for certain foreigners while you find it quite tough.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

The largest source of tourists for TW is China. In 2012 an estimated 2.5 million Mainland Chinese tourists visited TW:

If you're bored enough to enjoy TW's healthcare and work to harm the tax dollars that fund it, you should be preaching to the Mainland Chinese and Japanese audience. The number of tourists from English speaking countries to TW is pretty small compared to China & Japan (1.29 million in 2011).

http://admin.taiwan.net.tw/statistics/r ... o=7&d=4022
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Sorry I got one more article to dish out. This will be my last one before I leave. Behold, my last word on Taiwan...

The Four Biggest Problems With Taiwan - Offensive but True
http://blog.happierabroad.com/2013/02/t ... aiwan.html
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Where are you going? Will there be white legged ladies there? Will you achieve happiness somewhere else?
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
keepingitreal
Freshman Poster

Post by keepingitreal »

Winston wrote:
eurobrat wrote:

TAIWAN SUCKS!!!

*Pats Winston on back*

"Good job mate".

There are actual Taiwanese who were born and raised there hated the place and the culture. But not that many honestly. And as for that girl, I believe that she might also be an outcast like me.

It's funny though how most of Taiwanese fobs here are so dumb and gullible. I used to jack one when I was in high school.

And on the other hand, posting as much as possible to diss Taiwan might not bring you the amount of cash you need to get out of that shithole fast. I'd get a second job so I can get the f**k outta that intoleratable shithole ASAP if I were you.
NeighborhoodNetBang
Freshman Poster

Post by NeighborhoodNetBang »

That's why I've decided against traveling. Taiwan and Asia are paradise for White men and hell for Blacks. I can be miserable here in the USA while still having easy (at least for now) access to other things that I like and my Second Amendment rights.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why Taiwan Sucks - Socially, Romantically, Culturally

Post by Winston »

Updates:

Some new observations about how Taiwan has gotten worse socially, spiritually and culturally, and how it's turning into an Asian version of America:

http://janet-hsieh-sucks.blogspot.tw/20 ... worse.html

Here is a new video on YouTube about why Taiwan sucks. It gives 5 reasons. It also mentions that the internet reviews of Taiwan are overly positive and unjustified, which I've noticed and wondered about too. So I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed.

In the video description, it mentions one of my articles:

"here are reviews from other guys about the dark sides of taiwan ( i am not always of their opinion but i think they are unfortunatelly really often right)
http://blog.happierabroad.com/2013/01/1 ... sucks.html
https://scintilatebrightly.wordpress.co ... ut-taiwan/
http://bamboobutterfly.com/the-darker-sides-of-taiwan "

A new video about why teaching English in Taiwan is a waste of time and not recommended anymore.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

My message to zboy1 on Wechat, who is in Japan now:

Does japan have the same vibe as taiwan? How is it different? The thing is, when i was in japan long ago i felt a respect for them that i dont have for taiwan. Japan has amazing accomplishments and history. So they have a reason to be proud and snobby. But taiwan doesnt. Taiwan is snobby and uptight for no reason other than paranoia and self delusion. So taiwanese snobbiness is pointless. Japan has made real contributions to art, culture, science, technology, and martial arts. Taiwan has not. Taiwan has never won any great military battles. Taiwanese have always been defeatists and pacifists, preferring to fear their enemies and submit to them rather than fight them. But Japan has a history of courageous battles and wars, whether they won or lost. A total contrast. So taiwanese have nothing to be proud of and have no justification for being snobby other than pure arrogance. What do you think?

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Winston, Japan has a much better vibe than Taiwan. I felt a negative vibe in Taiwan whereas Japan was vibrant, interesting, wacky and crazy all at the same time.

And Japan is not snobby, or that's not the sense I got from most Japanese, but they are certainly proud of their country. You could argue they have right to be proud, as you said, Winston.

It's just hard to explain, but I sensed a lot of self-loathing among Taiwanese, too. I didn't sense that from Japanese people.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Today in our wechat group, when rocks former tenant monkro mentioned that taiwan was a good place for a guy to find a f**k buddy, i got fed up and posted this response to him:

@Monkro 
Sorry but you are alone here in your views about taiwan. Zboy1 has been there and did not get a friendly or social vibe there like you claim you did. He agreed with me that people there are too cold, closed and prudish.

Bao3niang also agrees and notices the same. Only you think that taiwan is a wonderful place for dating and social life monkro. Sorry. Even rock does not try dating in taiwan anymore.

Also look at the stats. Taiwan has a very low birthrate, perhaps the lowest in asia. So it would be the last place to find a f**k buddy. So your statement is illogical in theory and in reality. No offense.

I cannot even make male friends in taiwan. Everyone there wants to be left alone and not go out. Even my dads cousins ignores us now. Taiwan is also the only country outside the USA where i get a very paranoid vibe from people, where being paranoid is the norm, which is unusual outside the USA. My cousins in Taiwan also do not want to exchange contact info with me like Line or Whatsapp to keep in touch. They dont want to be social with me at all. What the f**k is wrong with them?! Tell me! So friggin antisocial. I swear!

Moreover monkro, when i contacted you in taiwan, you NEVER wanted to meet or hang out or go out or visit me to go to clubs in chiayi. Never! So even you were antisocial in Taiwan to me too monkro. So wtf?! Why you raving about how friendly taiwan is when i cant even get you to meet up or hang out there? Very bizarre. So weird! Like something from the Twilight Zone.

No offense monkro, but you sound SUPER DELUSIONAL for sure, especially when it comes to taiwan. You definitely dont sound down to earth or realistic regarding taiwan at all. Sorry but i gotta call a spade a spade.

Seriously monkro, your claims and raves about taiwan are tantamount to saying that Nazi Germany was a good place for Jews. No kidding. So i cant help but wonder, what the blazes are you smoking monkro? Seriously. (Dramatic perplexed expression) Are you from some bizarro universe? Because your claims seem almost 100 percent false, both in theory and in reality.

Furthermore, you present zero proof of your claims. Ive yet to see any evidence that you dated 7s or 8s in taiwan. 8s are very high and not easy for most guys to get. So I dont see why you make it sound easy to get 8s. Moreover why do you think you are worthy enough to be super picky and only demand model types?

At least I back all my claims with many photos so people know im real. Yet your claims are backed by 0.00000000 photos monkro and thus are highly suspect. Basically youre a talker with zero evidence and photos. Even caleb and ian and others here show photos of their girls and them. Youre the only guy who doesnt and tries to be a "mystery man".

How is anyone supposed to gauge your credibility monkro when you have zero evidence for anything you say and you constantly talk like a new age PUA guru who is NOT even down to earth at all? We cannot even be sure that youve ever even gone out on a date at all in your life. Lol.

Sorry if that was offensive monkro but too much obvious BS really gets on my nerve after a while. I gotta call a spade a spade, especially when its awfully fishy that it stinks. My gut feeling and sixth sense tells me that something is definitely really fake about you.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

My next response to monkro, who is angry about the post above and wants it removed:

"@Monkro 
Come on man. The thing i posted did NOT include your words. It was just MY response to your words. So technically, the words are mine, not yours. Hence theres no basis to remove them.

Also why should i comply with your request? You dont act like a real friend at all. You refuse to meet me or hang out with me every time im in taiwan or bay area. You are very antisocial with me, like a typical American or Taiwanese. So why should i even respect you and treat you like a friend? You are antisocial toward me. The only time u meet me is when im with rock.

Whats funny monkro is that you are brave enough to cold approach girls, yet you are fearful about meeting me, rock tells me. Lol. Im the last guy in the world to be paranoid of meeting. Lol. You can ask @ian or zboy or anyone else thats met me. Ian feels zero fear around me. Its all in your head.

Also u didnt address why everyone in taiwan is so antisocial to me. Even my cousins and relatives are. They want to be left alone and not be social or communicate. No one wants to hang out. Only elderly people are friendly in Taiwan and down to earth.

Also u claim to have gotten hundreds of dates in taiwan and laid 6 women. Thats a lot. It definitely doesnt suck. If i won 6 gold medals in Olympics, should i say thats very little? I cannot even get one date or lay in taiwan. Everyone wants to be left alone. Very paranoid and antisocial. Just like you are. Lol.

Also if you got laid with 6 women in taiwan, then at least half of them should have been willing to have relationship with you. So why you say you cant get a girlfriend there? It doesnt add up. Most girls who sleep with a guy will be open to dating him or having a relationship. Doesnt add up. Plus you only sleep with 7s and 8s, allegedly, so your conquests should have been attractive.

None of this makes sense or add up, especially since you are indian and taiwanese do not even like your race.

Bottom line is that we are all taking everything you say on faith. Not evidence. When you talk you dont sound down to earth at all. Maybe it is a mask you wear in your personality. I dont know. But it sounds full of theories and doesnt feel authentic. Thats my impression. No offense of course."

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why Taiwan SUCKS in all areas except food/safety

Post by Winston »

Contrary to what you might have heard by fake people and fake media, Taiwan is not even good for nature or outdoors. And its not that nice in terms of scenic beauty either. Heres why.

1. The air is very hot and humid most of the year, including spring, summer and autumn. That means its too hot and humid 9 months of the year. When you're outside the humidity makes your skin feel icky and sticky, which makes you feel dirty and unclean, like you constantly need a shower. Thus its hard to relax or read/write a book or meditate and reflect on life. Its hard to contemplate deep thoughts if you're constantly bothered by stickiness on your skin as well as heat. And its hard to breathe properly too in humid air too. Thus you cannot relax and contemplate. Its the worst climate for the writer or philosopher or deep thinker.

Furthermore its hard to enjoy any scenic views in Taiwan when you cannot breathe smoothly due to the high humidity of the air and stickiness on your skin, as well as heat. And its hard to relax in general as well.

Heat and humidity combined is the worst combination for a climate. Heat with dry air, like in the desert of arizona, is not so bad, but combined with humidity it becomes much worse. Humidity in cold air, like in Seattle, WA is also not so bad, unless combined with high heat.

2. Most hiking trails are steep and strenuous up mountains and hills. They are painful on the legs. Its not like US national parks which offer trails of three difficulties - light/even, moderate, and steep/strenuous. Furthermore the signs at park trailheads in Taiwan dont even tell you how steep or strenuous it is. They just let you go and find out for yourself. Not very considerate.

3. The outdoors in Taiwan has too many bugs, insects, ants and creepy crawly things. So I cannot even go outside and enjoy a good book, unless its in a big city of cement of course. When I try to sit outside in nature or areas with plenty of trees, plants, grass and foliage, all of a sudden ants crawl onto me and get on my arms. Its very annoying. Many insects bite me too, including insects that are invisible or too small to see. My skin attracts insect bites for some reason, more than most people do, because of my strong internal body heat or spiritual energy I think.

Thus I cannot enjoy a book or meditate out in nature with so many insects trying to bite me or crawl onto me. It's annoying as hell. In addition theres creepy crawly critters everywhere like worms, cockroaches, geckos, dragonflies flying around, etc. Ick! Yuck!

Tropical humid climates tend to produce the most insects and bacteria. Bacteria thrive in hot humid tropical climates. So its easier to get infections too. Unlike desert climates where few bacteria and insects can survive.

Moreover, homes in Taiwan tend to be ant infested. In my parents house, I often have to brush ants off my arm, even when I'm sitting on the couch or chair. Its very annoying and makes it hard to relax even in your own home. No matter how many ants you kill, they keep coming back like infinity. So even when you're indoors you're still bothered by insects, especially if you live outside the city. It takes a lot of cleaning work to minimize the ant infestation in homes.

So you see, Taiwan is really not good for nature, outdoors or hiking, contrary to what fake people might have told you. Those three reasons above are good solid reasons why. In addition the scenery in Taiwan is bland and nothing special you can't see anywhere else. The mountains and beaches in Taiwan are fairly mediocre and can be seen in any country that has mountains and coastlines.

As I said, Taiwan sucks in every category except for food and safety. Food is one of Taiwanese peoples few passions besides work, so its going to be good and decent. However Taiwan has no decent Mexican food for Indian food, except in the big cities, but even there its not that great. And restaurant menus tend to be small with few choices, nowhere near as large as in mainland China.

Taiwan is also very safe, like Japan. One can walk anywhere at night in any neighborhood and not worry about crime or muggings. Yes. However the problem is that humans were not meant for overly safe environments. Too much safety, sterility and structure kills your soul and does not allow you to evolve and grow. One needs challenges, obstacles and risks in order to grow and evolve into a stronger being. Taiwan doesn't offer that, which is probably why its people seem so weak and fearful compared to other more normal countries.

However, in spite of all this, the worst thing about Taiwan is the VIBE which is created by the people and social atmosphere. You see, Taiwanese tend to be super uptight, serious, strict, closed, repressed and filled with lots of shame, guilt and self-hatred. These are core traits which they were raised with. They are part of Taiwanese culture and personality. Anyone who was raised in Taiwan or in a typical Taiwanese family will tell you that all this is very true, if they are courageous enough to be brutally honest that is, because that would be uncommon since brutal honesty is not a typical Taiwanese trait. (though it is my trait of course, otherwise I wouldn't be telling you this)

For sure, Taiwanese are NOT raised to be confident, assertive, open-minded, or to speak their mind and stand up for themselves or for what they believe. Instead they are taught to live in fear all the time and be cautious and YIELD to all their enemies in order to be safe. So they are always paranoid about little things, including things that have a one in a million chance of occurring. Hence they are very weak, fearful and repressed. All of this rubs off on you, because one cannot be in an environment and not be affected by it.

These traits creates a negative vibe from Taiwanese people and make you feel uncomfortable to be around them. You cannot be yourself relax, have fun, let loose, be assertive or confident, speak your mind, or even express yourself around them. They make you feel oppressed socially and psychologically. You can't be confident or assertive around them, because such traits are out of place in Taiwan and go against the flow, like trying to walk upstream in a river. Traits such as confidence or assertiveness, while seen as positive in the West, are perceived as negative in Taiwan. Because it's an upside down culture that wants you to be weak, meek, fearful, repressed and have no confidence. In that sense, Taiwan is a very toxic and weakening culture, as well as repressed and oppressed.

Furthermore, if you are very sociable, open and interested in meeting new people and making new friends, you will also find Taiwan to be profoundly disappointing as well. Because nowadays, Taiwanese are only concerned with privacy and work. This has even been reported in the TV news in Taiwan. Taiwan has become a first world country where girls are spoiled, cold, snobby and closed minded, with bad low quality personalities. They have no interest in making new friends and lack curiosity, unlike the girls in other Asian countries. Even trying to find a female language exchange partner is difficult in Taiwan, unlike the rest of Asia. Taiwanese females may be polite and helpful to you if you are lost and need directions, but that's it. They won't wanna hang out, show you around their town, go out with you, etc, like the girls in other Asian countries will. Hence Taiwan is definitely the most antisocial culture nowadays when it comes to making friends or getting dates. There's simply no interest in it. And besides, what would you have in common with such weird self-hating people anyway? A friendship cannot be between two random people, you need to have something in common.

Even when you do make some friends in Taiwan, you will find that they are more like acquaintances, not real friends. They don't really care about you and you can only talk about light subjects with them like the weather or something very polite. You can't talk about deep and heavy stuff or be too honest, like you can with your best and closest friends. That's because Taiwanese are very superficial and so are any "friends" you make which are really just acquaintances. There's no true connection or bond or camaraderie. And of course they forget you easily after a while, which is not what true friends do. Overall, such "friendships" with Taiwanese locals are very dissatisfying and feel empty.

Sure you can meet some expats at online groups such as Meetup.com, Couchsurfing.org or other expat networks. But what's the point of going to a foreign country just to meet expats only? Why not go to a more friendly country where you can make friends with locals too? Otherwise what's the point of going abroad? And besides, many expats in Taiwan aren't that social anyway, since the antisocial repressed Taiwan vibe has rubbed off on them and made them weak and fearful too. It's as if they've caught whatever disease or malady that has killed off the Taiwanese soul or repressed it, like a sci fi movie or Twilight Zone episode. As I said earlier, one cannot be in an environment and not be affected by it. Its vibe will always rub off on you, whether you know it or not.

Plus the environment and place in Taiwan is lifeless and soulless. There's no energy or vibrancy at all. There's nothing to grow your soul or evolve you as a person. Nothing happens in Taiwan. It's like a luxury cage, very safe but isolating and pointless, and ultimately a waste of time. You will find that time passes in Taiwan without meaning. No real new experiences. Even in Hong Kong, where people are rude, cold and snobby, the city has energy and vibrancy at least. Not so in Taiwan or Taipei. There's no energy at all. It's very soulless and lifeless for sure. I don't like to sound negative, but a spade is a spade, and I won't lie to you about that. All my close friends will tell you that I'm the most honest, credible and insightful person they know. And that I wouldn't tell you something if it weren't true. Ask them and see.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Why Taiwan will give you a BAD impression of Asia and make you lonely, alienated, depressed and bored

Warning! The following may be offensive, but it is true. If you do not love truth, you may be angered if you read on.

A warning to those considering going to Taiwan. There are many negative downsides about Taiwan that no one else has the guts to tell you. It sucks in almost every category except food and safety. And will give you a bad impression of Asia, which is not good because the rest of Asia fortunately is not like Taiwan. You will have a much better impression of Asia in China, Vietnam, Thailand, etc. Avoid first world regions like Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong. Though clean and safe, they are very soulless, antisocial, cold and not good places for forming social relationships or to have fun. Let me explain.

Firstly, the worst thing about Taiwan is the VIBE which is created by the people and social atmosphere. You see, most Taiwanese tend to be very judgmental, rigid and negative. And if you think about it, when you've had work environments where your managers or bosses were very uptight and judgmental, it created a negative vibe and made you uncomfortable around them right? Because they would always find something wrong with you and your work, even if the problem was all in their head. Thus you could never relax around them, because their scrutiny was excessive and not reasonable. Right? Well thats the kind of bad vibe I'm talking about which dominates Taiwan.

The thing is, I can't stress how important it is to have a good vibe around you in a place that is conducive to it. One that has a positive, friendly, sane environment. Unfortunately the media never brings light to this and neither do other people. You see, a good vibe makes you FEEL GOOD about yourself and raises your self esteem drastically. It makes you feel good about getting out of bed in the morning. It makes you feel good about going outside and being around others. Etc. Thats why a good positive vibe is the most important thing in life. And conversely, a negative vibe does all the opposite, which unfortunately is the case with Taiwan. I wish it weren't true, but it is. A spade is a spade. I'm not gonna lie to you about that. In Taiwan the vibe makes you feel like shit. You don't feel good about yourself and you don't feel liked or accepted for who you are. And that's because you are in a culture which is very superficial and judgmental, which is not conducive to good self-esteem at all.

Taiwan's weird atmosphere also feels like high school in a way, which is very immature, because if you don't belong to a clique, you are ignored and feel like a LOSER. Simply put, the social environment is totally cliquish and exclusive. In contrast if you go to Europe, Russia or Latin America, the social environment is more mature, open minded and down to earth. It doesn't feel like high school and doesn't feel cliquish and exclusive. You dont feel like a loser if you dont belong to a clique. People are happy to talk to you and know you even if you're alone. They are open and enthusiastic about meeting new peoppe and making friends. They have more curiosity, a playful spirit and sense of wonder. Thus more soulfulness.

That's why one feels much more alive outside of repressed, soulless, antisocial countries like Taiwan or America. This is even true to some degree in China where people are noticeably more down to earth, sociable and straightforward than Taiwan.

Moreover you cannot relax, have fun, let loose, enjoy life, be yourself, or feel confident around such uptight Taiwanese people. They have this prudish party pooper vibe. Its hard to explain. Its as if they lack the ability to enjoy life and have fun and do not seek to. So you feel like you shouldn't enjoy life around them either. Its a real downer. Even my Taiwanese parents are like that - they have very few interests, do not like to have fun or new experiences, have no sense of wonder or curiosity about life, and they are happy to admit it.

Thus being square and boring is the norm in Taiwan. Thats why I say its the least interesting country in Asia for sure. The architect is drab, all the temples look the same, and the culture is nothing interesting and the country has no accomplishments or history to be proud of. Only the most boring and superficial people, who dont like to make new friends, may like Taiwan, not the truly soulful. The negative vibe in Taiwan is worse than words can describe.

Even the few friends that you are able to make in Taiwan are not real friends, but more like acquaintances. They are the kind of "friends" that you can only talk about polite subjects with, such as the weather, not the kind you can talk about your problems with or discuss deeper subjects. Or even be honest with. You see, if you offend them in any way or say anything controversial or negative, they will cut you off and treat you like a freak. Thats not what real friends do. But its not surprising because thats exactly how people who are superficial and judgmental tend to treat others. In short, friendships in Taiwan are very DISSATISFYING, even when you make a few. They are low quality friendships that do not satisfy your needs for quality social relationships, and more like acquaintances than true friends. Such "friendships" also drift apart easily if not maintained, which is not surprising given the very superficial nature of Taiwanese in general.

You know, back in the 80s, even though Taiwan was never very that open, at least there was kindness and warmth from its people. I remember that clearly, so I had a more positive impression of it back then. However nowadays you don't even have that. I've talked to many older and elderly Taiwanese and they all agree that Taiwan has really gone downhill in terms of friendliness, kindness, respect for parents, family values, moral values and quality of character. They also admit that my negative observations about Taiwan above are unfortunately true and sad. Elderly people tend to be more credible and down to earth. They are not trying to impress anyone or maintain an image. So they do not get offended by truth and honesty like young adults do. They see reality as it is and do not BS like younger folks do. In fact they are the only truly friendly and sociable type of people left in Taiwan, and not afraid to talk to strangers, whereas young women and girls are the least friendly and approachable of all groups in Taiwan, which is bad news if you are a straight male who is attracted to females of course. The difference between young and old in Taiwan is like night and day, easily noticeable, yet no one else has the guts to mention it except me.

So you see, overall Taiwan sucks in every category except for food and safety.

onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

I really liked Taiwan. It felt really peaceful and safe and I felt I could truly "be myself" there. Obviously, I'm not you, but hey.

But for Winston, ever consider Vietnam? I kind of leaned towards more not liking it, as in many ways the culture was just actually too extroverted and loud for me compared to Taiwan. But the reason I say this, is I have a friend from Taiwan who grew up in the late 70s and 80s there, and what I told him about Vietnam reminded him a lot of his childhood there. Another person I know also was an American expat in Taiwan in the 80s, and is currently living in Vietnam, and he says Vietnam reminds him a lot of Taiwan in the 80s.

Note, Vietnam is just exponentially worse in areas like pollution, bugs, and especially heat. Also for buildings, Taiwanese stuff may look kind of cruddy from the outside, but they at least make some attempts inside of caulking windows and that sort of thing, but in VN, nope. Nothing is air conditioned there, or at least air conditioned strongly. You can go to a perfect looking mall, and it'll be 80+ degrees inside and this is their normal. They also don't understand hydration there either, and everyone drinks like 500ml of water per day, whereas Taiwan it's easy to get Pocari Sweat or Vitalon for hydration in said heat at least. Pollution is really bad there, too. In USA I had allergies as a kid, and occasionally if I'm in a building with mold, or around a lot of cats, etc, I'll have problems, but being outdoors isn't a problem for me in USA or Taiwan. But the pollution in Vietnam gave me continual allergy woes basically no matter where I was, within 15 minutes out of the airport I was sneezing.

To me Taiwan is a very balanced place. It's not a perfect utopia, and I guess no place is, but it has the best balance of Eastern and "Western" ideologies and cultures, I guess. Best balance of things being fairly low priced but the population not living in squalor. I like that littering is frowned upon, and eating cats and dogs is banned. I like that the rivers aren't a gray crud with floating dead fish from pollution like in Vietnam. I like that I don't see elementary school age children working construction there. And compared to USA, I like that the government is (seemingly, anyway...) mostly courteous and friendly to you and treats you like a human being, and you can still walk down the street and drink a beer, or have one on the beach.