Why Taiwan SUCKS in all areas except food & safety

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
royalism
Freshman Poster

Post by royalism »

Winston, you hated Philippines because its too ghetto. You now hate Taiwan because the people are so stuck up. Where are you now? Any more options left???

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

In China, I can easily get away with being a Chinese national because of my Chinese skills. If I don't say anything about where I'm from, they'll all assume I'm from somewhere in southern China. I'm willing to bet that Winston can't get away with this.

I'm accepted as a fellow Chinese when I'm in China, and feel comfortable hanging around the locals. But here's the catch: Unless I'm dealing with hotel staff, government workers, or people that I'll be stuck around with for a long time, I never tell people in China that I'm Chinese American. The same annoying assumptions and questions come up about Chinese who grew up in the Anglosphere; the assumption is that they're white-washed (which is true for most of them!), and thus too unfamiliar with Chinese culture and language. I would always have to explain to them that I had always spoken Chinese fluently as a child at home, and really am culturally Chinese too. So they would accept me as one of them when I assure them that I'm not white-washed. I don't even like to tell Chinese international students at school that I had actually grown up here in the US!

The first question I get when I tell them that I grew up in the US is, "Why is your Chinese so good?"

In Guangzhou, when I'm talking to non-Chinese people in English, people around me like to pitch in, "Why is your English so good?" In this case, they're thinking I'm a local Chinese who is unusually talented in foreign languages.

Not even Mexicans are that tough with the Mexican Americans ("pochos")! They wouldn't be shocked if a Mexican American spoke Spanish; in fact, that would be expected. Same for other Latinos, Europeans, and so on.

So if you can get away with being a local, then you'll be fine. If you can't, then they'll always give you special treatment as an outsider. Sad but true. Most East Asian Americans would feel more accepted in a country other than where they parents or grandparents had originally come from.
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Winston,
thank you for your insightful posts on Taiwan. It's not a matter of my logic being wrong or yours being right. Yours is right for you and people like you while mine is right for me and those like me. It's simply a matter of perspective. Old, Local looking, fat, ugly, cheap and weird versus that of a fit, young, decent looking, with a decent bankroll and who dresses well. Don't you think that guys from these 2 categories will have quite different experiences? Again, it all comes down to perspective.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: Not exactly. I'm talking about the super fake smile that looks gay, cheesy and corny, and overly innocent, along with the dorky goofy look in their eyes that is common with NE Asians, which you will never see in a white person. You've seen expressions on East Asians that you never see on white people right?
I can imitate it somewhat. I will do a video of it sometime with an imitation of it. But it may be very offensive.
Plenty of photos on the internet to search from.

...you've been writing about how much TW sucks for you for how many years now? (see: viewtopic.php?p=8194)
Rayn
Freshman Poster

Post by Rayn »

That f***ing face.....

that's one of the reasons why I never bloody bothered with Chinese Malaysian females who show up with that stupid look instead of forming a normal expression like everyone else. They always remind me of the employer I used to have for my first internship during my biotech degree studies....a Chinese girl who puts on a Hello Kitty face 24/7/365 when when she's freaking out on my ass. I have no bloody idea whether she's angry or sad or happy or content...made me tremble with anxiety and discomfort whenever I needed to go talk to her. So fake all over.

Over here we call those Hello Kitty gay ass childish expressions the Ah Lian look...and you would do well to avoid anyone who makes that face. People who make that face generally have the same personality types, as Wikipedia succinctly describes it: anti-intellectual, superficial, materialistic, and shallow. Exactly like my employer was, too! Every single Chinese person I've met who showed maturity and intelligence socially NEVER adopted the Hello Kitty / Ah Lian / Ah Beng face whenever I talk to them.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Jacaré wrote:Winston,
thank you for your insightful posts on Taiwan. It's not a matter of my logic being wrong or yours being right. Yours is right for you and people like you while mine is right for me and those like me. It's simply a matter of perspective. Old, Local looking, fat, ugly, cheap and weird versus that of a fit, young, decent looking, with a decent bankroll and who dresses well. Don't you think that guys from these 2 categories will have quite different experiences? Again, it all comes down to perspective.
Yeah but I'm not ugly or cheap, nor do I look that old. You are creating narrow categories and ignoring other factors. You forget that Taiwan is anti-intellectual and for narrow, simple people. That's true too. I don't fit with that. Taiwan girls stop talking to me usually when I say something intellectual or deep. How am I weird? I'm intelligent, logical, coherent, educated, dress nice, well groomed, clean, civil, etc. How is that weird? Just because I'm not dumb, narrow and primitive doesn't mean that I'm weird. Do you have some problem?

How come I jive with Russian girls so much more easily? They are naturally intellectual, which is normal in Russia and very open, A TRILLION times more open than Taiwanese girls, and far more intellectual too. None of them make any fake innocent hello kitty faces. That is a fact, regardless of who I am. You failed to take that into account.

In Russia, I can be myself. In Taiwan, I can't. In Taiwan, an Asian guy isn't allowed to act like a Westerner. It shocks people and doesn't fit in the flow of repressed Taiwan. I can't be myself or act like a Westerner, whereas I can act like a Westerner in the US.

I am not cheap. I treat people and spend good money on clothes and cosmetics and other things I need. I treat groups of people to dinner too. You are imagining things and painting a false image of me without basis.

Frugality is considered a good thing in Taiwan anyway. I am very willing to spend on girls, but I can't find any that will let me spend on them. Even gold diggers in Taiwan have a cold wall around them. Everything in Taiwan is unnatural and abnormal. You forget to take that into account.

Are you Repatriate under another screen name? Why do you say such narrow bigoted things? You sound like a typical narrow simplistic Asian. And you FAIL to take a ton of factors and truths into account.

You should go to Taiwan and see how you deal with that cold wall that is very real. You'll get a dose of reality and see that I didn't create it that way.

Did you read the three emails from Sean that I posted above? He is a decent looking white guy, works for a law firm, and even a private pilot. Yet he admits that the cold wall in Taiwan is REAL and that he feels lonely often there.

How do you explain that?

Even Rayn, Falcon and others here acknowledge that my complaints and observations about Taiwan are REAL and not subjective.

Finally, you forgot to explain why I see so many ugly guys with cute girls in Taiwan. Many of them are dorky and nerdy looking, who couldn't get any dates in the US, and they are young college students with no money either.

How do you explain that Jacare? HUH? WELL?!?!?!?!? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!

See how narrow you are Jacare? Your explanations DO NOT account for all the factors I list above. You act like a typical stupid narrow Asian.
Last edited by Winston on December 7th, 2012, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

momopi wrote:
Winston wrote: Not exactly. I'm talking about the super fake smile that looks gay, cheesy and corny, and overly innocent, along with the dorky goofy look in their eyes that is common with NE Asians, which you will never see in a white person. You've seen expressions on East Asians that you never see on white people right?
I can imitate it somewhat. I will do a video of it sometime with an imitation of it. But it may be very offensive.
Plenty of photos on the internet to search from.

...you've been writing about how much TW sucks for you for how many years now? (see: viewtopic.php?p=8194)
Yes that's closer to what I'm talking about. However, when most Taiwan girls make that fake innocent fake, they are usually doing it while conversing with their friends. And when they do, they have a tunnel vision in that they ignore everyone around them. That expression tells me that I don't exist to them, that they are too closed to start a conversation with, etc. You see, it's not an open relaxed look at all. Thus it's a sign of unapproachability. Natural down to earth women who are easy to talk to don't have that fake look on their face.

There's also a vibe that emanates with it, that is hard to see in photos. The vibe is extremely uptight, closed and repressed. It is also ice cold too. It seems to be in basic Taiwan nature, so maybe it's genetic? If so, how come I don't make any hello kitty expressions?

So in Taiwan, you have the fake hello kitty look, and the miserable grumpy pissed off constipated look of the older generation. Both of these extremes suck don't they? Why can't people in Taiwan just be normal and natural?! Sheesh!

Plus cities are crowded and have nowhere to park, and traffic is really f***ing annoying too, with so many stupid scooters running around like ants.

Everything about Taiwan just sucks. If I was at least getting sex, it would be a little more tolerable, but even the P4P girls here suck in both looks and attitude.

Everything sucks in Taiwan. All there is is food and work. This is the truth, but it's taboo because there is a religious cult surrounding Taiwan that says that you can't say anything negative about it, which is stupid.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Hello Kitty is here to stay,Japanization of Asia

http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/jas/staff/benng/ ... ofile).pdf

Young females want people to think that
they are as cute and young as their Hello Kitty. In Japanese society, acting
cute and innocent is a way to relax and escape from responsibilities. Hence,
this youth subculture can be seen as a symbol of defiance against the rigid
Japanese society. Consciously or unconsciously, young women carrying
Hello Kitty is a statement of refusing to grow up and to take social and moral
responsibilities in the adult world

Hello Kitty is a big business in Singapore. Imported to Singapore in
1976, two years after its debut in Japan, Hello Kitty was relatively popular
among small girls from well-to-do families in Singapore in the 1980s, but its
popularity declined in the early 1990s. Hello Kitty is making a strong
comeback in recent years. The number of Hello Kitty shops and imported
items has increased dramatically since 1998, following the revival of Hello
Kitty in Japan, Hong Kong and Taiwan in the late 1990s

Can you picture Russian or Italian woman with Hello Kitty face :shock: + V sign
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

So Winston, if you were getting so much better reception from the girls in Russia and you're being totally ignored and hating every moment of it in Taiwan, then the only logical question is what the f**k are you still doing in Taiwan? And why the hell are you not in Russia?

Also, you claim that there is nothing in Taiwan other than food and work. But how do you explain all these white guys who are living and working there or those on vacation who rave about having such a good time among the local ladies?

As to the rest of your diatribe, just one word: DELUSIONAL to the max. I won't bother nor waste my time with the rest of your non sensical self lauding. LOL
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: Yes that's closer to what I'm talking about. However, when most Taiwan girls make that fake innocent fake, they are usually doing it while conversing with their friends. And when they do, they have a tunnel vision in that they ignore everyone around them. That expression tells me that I don't exist to them, that they are too closed to start a conversation with, etc. You see, it's not an open relaxed look at all. Thus it's a sign of unapproachability. Natural down to earth women who are easy to talk to don't have that fake look on their face.
<snip>
...when I date girls in TW, I expect my date to have "tunnel vision" with me, devote her attention to me, and not someone else. I do not want an excessively "open minded" women who stays with you while looking for someone better (i.e. pimps herself out on internet dating sites). I do not want a GF who will be "open, friendly, and flirty" with other men. I want a girl who is picky enough that she doesn't have a string of ex-BF's and sex partners. I also do not need another self-appointed "intellectually stimulating" guei-ka person who thinks too much and turns into a mental basket-case.

What I wanted, was a marriage and family minded girl who will be a good wife to me, a good daughter to my parents, a good mother to her children, hard working enough to overcome difficult times, and have the pragmatic mind to overcome difficult situations. One who will "roll up her sleeves" instead of waiting for something to happen. Preferably college educated, from a good family, in good health, & willing and able to contribute to the family coffers.

But, that's not important to our discussion. Actually it's a complete waste of time. You've been writing about how much TW sucks since 2008 or earlier, and you're still recycling the same menstruation pad today. Obviously, you're not enjoying your time in TW, and the sooner that you leave for a better place (for you), the better. You can start by visiting your local travel agency to explore your travel options and associated costs. Spending another 3-4 years to complain about how and why TW sucks for you, or discussions about someone else's relationship & sex life is not going to get you to where you want to be.
Last edited by momopi on December 7th, 2012, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

momopi wrote:

But, that's not important to our discussion. Actually it's a complete waste of time, since you've been writing about how much TW sucks since 2008 or earlier, and you're still recycling the same menstruation pad today. Obviously, you're not enjoying your time in TW, and the sooner that you leave for a better place (for you), the better. You can start by visiting your local travel agency to explore your travel options and associated costs. Spending another 3-4 years to complain about how and why TW sucks for you is not going to get you to where you want to be.
Pure gold, u hit the nail right on the head. There's way too much repetition on this forum - how bad Taiwan is from Winston, how bad America and/or its women are from many others.

If u went through all of Winston's writings on Taiwan since 2008, I suspect you could eliminate 80-90% of the words without loosing anything in the way of content or key themes and messages. Why repeat essentially the same thing over and over and over and over? Perhaps one could argue that he's addressed counter arguments made by the likes of me (pro-Taiwan crowd) after I appeared on the HA forum scene. But by now, that stuff has also been repeated, restated, and regurgitated ad nauseam. The arguments erode into infinite loops until they are abandoned.

Perhaps we need a special ranting section on this forum where people can write for example a detailed essay on "500 Reasons Why Taiwan Sucks So Bad, I Swear It's One Billion Percent True" with pages and pages of supporting arguments for each one of those 500 reasons. With an average of 10 pages for each point, that would work out to a 5,000 page essay on why Taiwan is so bad. Wow, there's a new e-book idea right there. Why should Winston bother with traveling to China or anywhere else when he has such an interesting, enlightening, and full-filling project sitting right at his doorstep in Chiayi?
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

momopi wrote: ...when I date girls in TW, I expect my date to have "tunnel vision" with me, devote her attention to me, and not someone else.
Exactly. I really appreciate it when a girl does not get distracted by better looking, richer, more interesting guys around or among people I know, some of whom I might introduce her to. Many Taiwan girls seem good at shutting out the unfamiliar and from their attention spans.

I once was invited to a pool party by a friend hosting manly foreign models (male and female) and brought an attractive young Taiwan date with me. With all the male eye candy milling about, I was amazed at how she just hung out with me and my small group of friends (all average types, not models) with apparently no regard for the incredible backdrop of beautiful people. However, my eyes strayed from time to time and after awhile, she noticed that and seemed somewhat annoyed.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Rock wrote:
momopi wrote: ...when I date girls in TW, I expect my date to have "tunnel vision" with me, devote her attention to me, and not someone else.
Exactly. I really appreciate it when a girl does not get distracted by better looking, richer, more interesting guys around or among people I know, some of whom I might introduce her to. Many Taiwan girls seem good at shutting out the unfamiliar and from their attention spans.
I once was invited to a pool party by a friend hosting manly foreign models (male and female) and brought an attractive young Taiwan date with me. With all the male eye candy milling about, I was amazed at how she just hung out with me and my small group of friends (all average types, not models) with apparently no regard for the incredible backdrop of beautiful people. However, my eyes strayed from time to time and after awhile, she noticed that and seemed somewhat annoyed.
Quoting my Chinese-Thai ex-GF, "as a man, your eyes may wander. So long as the body does not follow, I'm fine with it."
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

Dear Winston,

Here is some cold honest advice for you. You always talk about wanting to hear the truth, with no PC bull.

Well, here it is.

Your life sounds like a mess. You are 40 years old, with no discernible career, friends, life or extensive hobbies. And you're not very happy.
Your life has no meaning or direction. You're at a crossroads. IT'S TIME TO MAKE A CHANGE. You sound very frustrated and confused in your life.

I'm going to make a suggestion and yes, it's BIG.......

I recommend that you that you turn to Christianity. Now please wait before you dismiss the idea and read why.

1. First of all, you'll find a community of people who WANT to help you. You'll make male and female friends. They'll be cute girls there. BUT, what you need in your life right now is hope and meaning. This isn't going to sound nice, but you lead a sinful life.

You really need to take a good look at yourself, your life and what you hope to accomplish in your life. Is your goal in life just to do nothing in Taiwan and chase women that you can never get for the rest of your life? Where do you see yourself in 20 years? As it stands you're on a path to destruction. You need to expand or change your business plan and make some real money. You're 40. Half your life is over. You've had a good run, but you now need a lot of concentrated introspection on how to proceed in your life, and not another desperate rant.

Rebuild your life, find a proper career or start a proper business, find some friends and if you're a good person, a special lady will be just waiting to meet you. Go get some help with your life, it sounds like you need it.

At the present time, you're just running in circles and stagnating.

2. Honestly, IMHO, there seem to be deeper issues in your life that just changing your location will not necessarily change. Even if you DO move to China and find that it is easy to meet women and you even find the perfect woman to settle down with, then what? These are the issues that you need to think about.

3. Again you need to take the next big step in your life. I actually recommend that you try to get involved with business or trade in China. You're a bright guy. OR take your happier abroad business to the next level by starting some type of hotel, translating business, tourism biz, dating website, strip club, i don't know, you name it. Believe me, i know from experience. If you own your own business in Asia, the women will be lining up to get with you.

Secondly,

4. You really need to take a look at yourself from a physical, personality and health perspective. You're old enough now that you should know how to dress, be in good shape and interact with women.

5. IMHO, you need improvement in these areas. You never developed them while growing up, and that's OK. It's not too late to make the necessary changes and come back stronger.

IMHO, you've stopped developing as a person, as opposed to others.

Milestones that you've missed:

1. Maturity, experience and responsibility from working at a high level in the work world

2. Changes that occur when your income increases to a much higher level

3. Understanding and dealing with women that comes from experience with women or long term relationship

Women can sense this, and it does play a part in why other guys are probably finding success while you are left behind.

You need to stop focusing on stuff like Steve Hoca and START figuring out how to create happiness in your life and meet your dream woman. As an analogy, in other words, you need to stop to focusing all your efforts on how to save money and divert that energy in how to EARN money.

And is your only current goal in life just to meet your dream woman? And is that what would make you happy in life? Do you not have any other hopes or goals or have ways to find meaning in your life?

And i believe that the people right HERE on this forum can help you out with this, but you don't even seem to want to help yourself. That's sad. There's a lot of Asian guys who strive by sheer EFFORT, and have been able to overcome HUGE OBSTACLES. Will you be one of them?

And if you have questions about this, ask away right here. You're not going to weasel out of this by saying there's no source out there to help you.

Travel related recommendations:

Return to America. Take a vacation somewhere. Or India, Latin America or maybe the Middle East
Or stay in East Asia and take a job as an ESL teacher.

It sounds like you are burnt out on Asia in general. It's obvious that you are homesick. You sound just as bad as some of the homesick ESL teachers who have sent too much time in Asia. When things didn't work out in Russia, you went to the PI. And when they didn't work out in PI, you moved on to Taiwan.

1. Return to America, if only temporarily. Remember that America is a big place. You life story indicates that you've spent your entire life in only the SF Bay and Seattle areas. You may be pleasantly surprised how different life is in Houston, New York, St. Louis or Miami. Give yourself some time to recover and then regroup and plan the next stage of your life.

2. Take a vacation somewhere.

3. Latin America- if you can take the time to learn Spanish (or practice if you took a little bit in school), Latin America is a good option for a "free- thinking, non conformist Asian" such as yourself. BTW, women are very easy in the Dominican Republic and Peru. Colombia has very beautiful women and Argentina is also a beautiful, interesting and stable place to visit.

4. India-- I actually highly recommend that you visit India. The people there will be very happy to meet you (and i am speaking from personal experience-- was there last winter). Very beautiful girls will be happy to hang out and spend time with you. You will have a similar experience to what you experienced in Russia-- people will be very open and happy to speak with you as a foreigner.

There is also much to see and of course India is a fascinating place to visit. You can also find many people to discuss philosophy, religion, etc. And as a bonus, there are a ton of Russian girls in Goa, and a ton of European girls that you can meet while traveling. It is also dirt cheap to live and travel in, with one caveat, that it is not easy to get Indian women into bed.

5. The last option, if you stay in Asia, IMHO i actually recommend for you to go to Japan or Korea. I think that you'll find more interesting cultural trends and a greater sense of openness and stuff happening in these 2 countries than in Taiwan. The other possibility is to go to Beijing (a more intellectual city than Shanghai) or goto Western China (Yunnan, NW China or Sichuan) or alternatively i have heard good things about Fenghuang, and Guangzhou is not a bad place either. I highly recommend you go there for the experience first and girls second.
I also think this will be better than the SE Asian mainland where you would simply just continue your current lifestyle in the same fashion.

Finally, if you decide to stay in Asia, i actually recommend that you try working as an ESL teacher. Why?

1. You'll earn some extra money

2. It will get you out of the house

3. It's a great way to meet women,some of whom may take a liking to you.

4. As the authority figure, you may be looked at positively by some women.

5. People will have all sorts of incentives to try to spend time with you.

6.. Gets you involved in the community so you have something interesting to write about, instead of incessant complaining.
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Outstanding post celery! This is the kind of post you'd expect from an expensive consultant yet he is giving it to you for free Winston. Listen, despite our arguments at times over certain issues, we all are fed up with your constant whining. It's not just your whining it's that it's not so difficult to overcome them but the fact that people have been providing you with great feedback and tips over the years yet you have not done anything and sat on your lazy ass all along and kept complaining. Listen, some times we may come off as harsh but we are not. We like you Winston and are grateful for you for this website and what you have started initially. However, it also pains us to see you in this miserable situation while it's obvious for all to see that the solution is simply to do something different. I'd strongly suggest you to re-read several times celery's stupendous post and even to print it and put it somewhere you will see it first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Follow the suggestions there and we can garantee that yo)