12 Reasons NOT to get a Dog - Why are Americans so crazy about them?

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Yeah, I'm with JimmyC and Adama. My old man's looking to get a wire fox terrier now. My mom's probably going to divorce him and he's got a lot of pressure going on him, so he wants a companion. The things you said are true Winston, but the loyalty outweighs them all.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rock wrote:Dogs are truly in a class of their own. In some ways, they are better than people.

1. They generally don't wine, bitch, or complain.
2. If u train properly, they do what u want when u want.
3. They are always happy to see u when u get home.
4. Many types will die for their owners/masters
5. They are very therapeutic to those who are sick or very old. Someone in my family had serious cancer and their dog was by their side 24/7 through their darkest times through recovery. She told she might have lost the will to live had it not been for her dog.
6. People in today's world are increasingly isolated and alone. A dog can be a very solid and loyal companion and fill the emotion void many suffer in modern developed world society.
7. They're a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to care for than a human baby.
8. If u learn how to effectively manage some of the more aggressive and dominant breeds, it can provide great insight and intuition on how to manage new women who come into your life.
9, Dogs can give u a purpose in life, a reason to go out and get some exercise, a bonding mechanism with other neighbors, etc.
10. Yes, dogs normally only live 10-15 years or so depending on breed but their elderly period is very short (usually just a few months) and they don't show their age like humans.

BTW, I've grown up with 4 different dogs and they truly enhanced my childhood and teens IMO. I wish I could have a dog now but I travel too much and don't think Taiwan is a good place to raise such pets.
That's an interesting list Rock. However, it only applies to those who are empty and lonely, vibes with dogs and derives fulfillment from companionship with dogs. Some people don't vibe with dogs and don't derive much fulfillment or satisfaction from them. For those, the above drawbacks will not be worth the trouble.

Don't you hate it when you are with a woman and her dog is there, and if you just hug her, the dog attacks you or bites you out of jealously or defending its owner? It's happened to me before. That just sucks, and makes you wonder "Why is that necessary?" I hate unnecessary trouble.
Contrarian Expatriate wrote: I agree with everything but the lack of practical purpose. Dogs sometimes can be a means of security.

But other than that, you are right on the mark. Dogs and Americans have a strange relationship. I notice that they are elevated to the point of family members and given human qualities on occasion. In years past, Americans had a more healthy relationship with dogs, but it has gone awry as a consequence of the lack interpersonal skills most Americans have.

With American women in particular, dogs and cats actually get in the way of or take the place of relationships. There are millions of women that would choose their pet over their boyfriend or husband.
I already explained that unless you live in a bad neighborhood, most of America is safe. People leave you alone and nothing much happens. No one has ever tried to break into my house. Besides, a burglar can easily take out a dog with a stun gun or silencer. For this, a dog would be an alarm bell, not a security guard. This is more about emotional security, not real security. It's for people who are paranoid and don't trust anyone, such as many Americans who have lost the ability to connect with other people.

Some of you are in denial here. Sure you can reduce all the drawbacks with proper training, but not all. They are still a risk. The risks are still there, especially when you are talking about millions of dogs. You know, there's a REASON why most apartment complexes DO NOT allow pets. Why do you think that is? Think about. And no, it's not because the owner hates animals. There are practical reasons for it. Please be logical and rational guys, not emotional.

Yes a dog can give you unconditional love, but if I DON'T NEED that kind of love from an animal, then it won't be worth putting up with all the drawbacks and risks.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Adama wrote:Winston, will Diane or your future bride burn a candle for you daily for the rest of her life???

news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/dog-stands-guard-over-deceased-owner-grave-six-190556479.html

An extremely dedicated dog has continued to show its loyalty, keeping watch on its owner's grave six years after he passed away.
Capitan, a German shepherd, reportedly ran away from home after its owner, Miguel Guzman, died in 2006. A week later, the Guzman family found the dog sitting by his grave in central Argentina.
Miguel Guzman adopted Capitan in 2005 as a gift for his teenage son, Damian. And for the past six years, Capitan has continued to stand guard at Miguel's grave. The family says the dog rarely leaves the site.
"We searched for him, but he had vanished," widow Veronica Guzman told LaVoz.com. "We thought he must have got run over and died.
'The following Sunday we went to the cemetery, and Damian recognized his pet. Capitan came up to us, barking and wailing as if he were crying."
Adding to the unusual circumstances, Veronica says the family never brought Capitan to the cemetery before he was discovered there.
"It is a mystery how he managed to find the place," she said.

Cemetery director Hector Baccega says he and his staff have begun feeding and taking care of Capitan.
"He turned up here one day, all on his own, and started wandering all around the cemetery until he eventually found the tomb of his master," Baccega said.
"During the day he sometimes has a walk around the cemetery, but always rushes back to the grave. And every day, at six o'clock sharp, he lies down on top of the grave, stays there all night."
But the Guzman family hasn't abandoned Capitan. Damian says the family has tried to bring Capitan home several times but that he always returns to the cemetery on his own.
"I think he's going to be there until he dies, too. He's looking after my dad," he said.
That only shows that the dog is not very bright...

Hey there's this movie about that that you will like called "Hachi: A Dog's Tale" with Richard Gere. After its owner dies, the dog stands at the train station waiting for him for the rest of its life. It's very sad and will make you shed a tear. It's based on the true story of a dog in Japan in the 1920's who did that.

Here's the IMDB info:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1028532/

Trailer:

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Dogs have been domesticate for 15,000 - 30,000 years. If people did not like them then they wouldn't have kept dogs for this long. This is a case of "master of the obvious", people get pets because they like and enjoy having pets, if they don't, then they don't get them, or end up with an unhappy and neglected pet.

Due to city ordinances, many so called "guard dogs" today are actually more bark than bite, because if the dog actually attacks people then the city will demand the owner to get rid of the dog. My neighbors have Husky/German Shepard mix dogs that are large, barking, and appears threatening until you realize they're barking with the tails wagging. Gee, a dog biscuit = guard dog sitting, rolling over, and licking your hand.

One practical purpose of keeping of a dog is that the owner will get more exercise. Your dog will nudge you and get you off your lazy arse until you get the leash and walk them. Dog owners generally get more exercise and is more healthy than lazy couch potatoes. Yes the walks are good for you and it's cheaper than a gym membership. Having a well behaved dog also creates many social opportunities to meet with other dog owners (girls) at the local park and dog park. If you don't have a dog, borrow someone else's for a walk and you might observe a very different social interaction with people. This probably won't work if you bring a pit bull.

If a person normally has his/her shield-wall up, they'd often drop it as soon as they're approached by a cute dog. From a girl's perspective, guys who keep dogs (and walk their dogs) are more responsible, reliable, willing to do things for others (her), has patience, not a couch-potato, and less likely to get frustrated easily. Raising a dog from a puppy teach responsibility and patience, assuming the person actually takes the effort and is not Paris Hilton with a staff team that walks her dogs for her.

And if you think a pet dog is a lot of work, you should see the amount of work needed to keep a horse. LoL. Thankfully there's an endless supply of suckers who'd help you pay for it by investing in race horses, with mental images of themselves sipping mint julep at the winner's circle.
jagulep
Freshman Poster

Post by jagulep »

Aren't dogs and pussies like women? When thinking about living with one you know the positives you'd derive from them aren't close to being worth the effort you'd have to put in and the almost-constant annoying noise from them you'd have to endure but still part of your brain goes, "I want one" - I often hate that part of my brain, I try to tell it to shut up, but it never does...
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

Winston, I can tell you're lacking a lot of energy. Have you tried Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide? I hear it has some good benefits. If you haven't tried it, remember to do your homework!

Dogs are wonderful. They'll vibe with anybody! If you're a good person at heart, you'll most derfinitely find a dog who loves and respects you, even if you're not their owner! I had a dog that always followed me at specific times everyday and take mile-long walks with me, and the owner lived a couple houses down from me. However, he always obeyed his master's calls.

However, I don't have one because of allergies. Hey Adama, how did you rid yourself of the Candida? :)
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:
Rock wrote:Dogs are truly in a class of their own. In some ways, they are better than people.

1. They generally don't wine, bitch, or complain.
2. If u train properly, they do what u want when u want.
3. They are always happy to see u when u get home.
4. Many types will die for their owners/masters
5. They are very therapeutic to those who are sick or very old. Someone in my family had serious cancer and their dog was by their side 24/7 through their darkest times through recovery. She told she might have lost the will to live had it not been for her dog.
6. People in today's world are increasingly isolated and alone. A dog can be a very solid and loyal companion and fill the emotion void many suffer in modern developed world society.
7. They're a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to care for than a human baby.
8. If u learn how to effectively manage some of the more aggressive and dominant breeds, it can provide great insight and intuition on how to manage new women who come into your life.
9, Dogs can give u a purpose in life, a reason to go out and get some exercise, a bonding mechanism with other neighbors, etc.
10. Yes, dogs normally only live 10-15 years or so depending on breed but their elderly period is very short (usually just a few months) and they don't show their age like humans.

BTW, I've grown up with 4 different dogs and they truly enhanced my childhood and teens IMO. I wish I could have a dog now but I travel too much and don't think Taiwan is a good place to raise such pets.
That's an interesting list Rock. However, it only applies to those who are empty and lonely, vibes with dogs and derives fulfillment from companionship with dogs. Some people don't vibe with dogs and don't derive much fulfillment or satisfaction from them. For those, the above drawbacks will not be worth the trouble.

Don't you hate it when you are with a woman and her dog is there, and if you just hug her, the dog attacks you or bites you out of jealously or defending its owner? It's happened to me before. That just sucks, and makes you wonder "Why is that necessary?" I hate unnecessary trouble.
The list is not just for those who are empty and lonely. That really is only relevant to my Point 6 above, not the others. Some of the other posters in support of canines have rephrased some of my same points.

I've never had a dog or pet interfere in my relationship with a girl. I consider it a plus if the girl has a dog she is close to and will ask to see the dog if I like the girl (or even if I don't). I really like a lot of dogs, especially golden retrievers. But I don't like to be around the very violent, aggressive, or noisy (the hi pitched bark) types.

You know once upon a time in Taiwan it was common to eat dog meat, especially in the winter. But these days, I've noticed a huge number of dog owners in Taipei. Sometimes they treat their dogs like babies. I've even seen them push them around in baby carriages and/or dress them up cutely completely including little shoes. Sometime I see hot young girls here bonding with there pet dogs out and about or in the park. Perhaps those cute young things in Taiwan you so lust after would prefer the company of a dog to you, lol. No wonder you don't seem to like dogs.

Winston, how can you not like dogs? They are man's best friend.
leavingusa
Freshman Poster

Post by leavingusa »

Many of those drawbacks appy to women too.

Totally agree, don't want either of them.

Too much trouble and cost.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

jagulep wrote:Aren't dogs and pussies like women? When thinking about living with one you know the positives you'd derive from them aren't close to being worth the effort you'd have to put in and the almost-constant annoying noise from them you'd have to endure but still part of your brain goes, "I want one" - I often hate that part of my brain, I try to tell it to shut up, but it never does...
No, they aren't the same. Women can fulfill a man's lust and need for romance, love and sex. Dogs can't. I don't feel an inclination to get a dog. They don't fulfill anything that I need. They certainly do not substitute for human companionship.

Even communicating with you guys on the forum is more fulfilling than having a dog jump into my lap and lick me. lol

Haven't any of you ever experienced when you hug or touch a woman with a dog, the dog gets jealous and may even bite you? Surely I can't be the only one who's experienced that. Doesn't that suck? It's so unnecessary too.

jboy
Freshman Poster

Post by jboy »

If a woman owns a dog, she is either a man or a bitch. Learned this the hard way, cats and tequila rules!
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Rock wrote:Winston, how can you not like dogs? They are man's best friend.
If you've lived outside the American matrix or cozy urban areas, your view of dogs might be very different. Middle-class urban Chinese generally like dogs and raise them as pets, just as Americans do. But if you are a poor farmer fresh out of rural China, you might not have much empathy for dogs.

Dogs in rural Chinese villages are different. They can be very vicious, and are absolutely nothing like American dogs. When not vicious, their primary purpose in the villages is to serve as scavengers to clean up decaying matter.

When I was exploring rural China, the local villagers would tell me to carry big sticks to beat any dogs that would attack us. These dogs don't lick you or want to you to pet them. Animal cruelty? Well no, because these dogs will literally rip you to pieces. One of my guides' children had been bitten in the face by dogs, before he had to beat up the dogs with big walking (or beating) sticks.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Falcon wrote:
Rock wrote:Winston, how can you not like dogs? They are man's best friend.
If you've lived outside the American matrix or cozy urban areas, your view of dogs might be very different. Middle-class urban Chinese generally like dogs and raise them as pets, just as Americans do. But if you are a poor farmer fresh out of rural China, you might not have much empathy for dogs.

Dogs in rural Chinese villages are different. They can be very vicious, and are absolutely nothing like American dogs. When not vicious, their primary purpose in the villages is to serve as scavengers to clean up decaying matter.

When I was exploring rural China, the local villagers would tell me to carry big sticks to beat any dogs that would attack us. These dogs don't lick you or want to you to pet them. Animal cruelty? Well no, because these dogs will literally rip you to pieces. One of my guides' children had been bitten in the face by dogs, before he had to beat up the dogs with big walking (or beating) sticks.
I hear you. I've been exposed to nasty dogs as well. In rural Illinois where I grew up, there are mean dogs who will chase and attack perceived trespassers out on the farms. My dad's cousin even shot his brother's pet dog for kicks when they were teenagers. The dog died instantly and my grandmother never forgave him.

My parents' most recent dog (just died at age of 16 last year) was taken out on walks by them several times a day. One day, an unleashed pit-bull came out of nowhere and bit the dog in the back. My dad started hitting it with something and the owner appeared and got it to release. Luckily, it our dog wasn't injured too badly but was yelping and crying like a baby.

I've been chased and bitten by vicious dogs in Pingzhen while riding a motorcycle and learned to carry a stick when riding alleys in some of the villages.

About 3 years ago, my ex and I were walking in a big park in Hsinchuang (New Taipei City) and after passing a hill full of strays, found ourselves surrounded on 3 sides by them. They were growling and barking and wouldn't back off. I had read some things on the Internet about how to handle such situations so tried some of those tricks. After 10 or so minutes, the dogs grew bored and started to back off and retreat.

In spite of all that, I see dogs as man's best friend. People from the farms in our county usually had a very different opinion about them. But I know that if you raise a dog from birth and train it right, you won't find a more loyal and trustworthy companion.
have2fly
Junior Poster

Post by have2fly »

I did not read other responses, I AGREE with Winston on ALL COUNTS! Americans are SHIT lonely and depressed sad people, that's why they all own dogs and fakey-smiley talk to other dog owners. Why? Because they have nothing ELSE in their sad life to talk about! I will not own a dog, I enjoy my freedom from everyone and everything. No other country in the world have so many dog - cat lovers! America is nutz! Totally freaking crazy! People hate people, but love dogs, snakes, lizzards and other shit. What happened to people loving people? No. No more. America is about ME and shit that I own, including pets. Oh yes, dog will never complain and always happy to see you, so convenient. Of course, since people are full of shit. What people don't understand is that they are just one more of those people that are full of shit.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: If you have to ask why....

Post by Jester »

JimmyC wrote:...I couldn't explain it to you. :)

Dogs are like most things in that they don't come without a cost. For some, it is well worth it and their animals enrich their lives. Others, not so much and unfortunately it's the dog who usually suffers.

When I got divorced I was leaving my home for the last time to move to an apartment. We had 3 dogs at that point, but I had no intention of taking one of them with me, given that most apartments don't allow them or charge you more for having one. As I was putting the last box in my car, the dog who had been my favorite jumped in the back seat. Annoyed, I told him "You can't come with me, boy. Get out!", but he refused to budge. When I tried to physically extract him he just moved between the rear seats until he got into the trunk! He sat back there, almost invisible except for his eyes. "Are you sure you know what you're getting into?", I asked him. He just blinked back at me. I left with him still in the car.

As it turned out, having him with me was the best therapy I could have asked for. He was a companion at a time in my life when almost everyone had rejected me. He forced me to go out and interact with people. I got to know my neighbors. He made me get exercise. His antics made me laugh. He made a huge contribution to my getting past the divorce and resuming my life.

So I have a soft spot for dogs. Your mileage, of course, may vary. :)
Love this story. What kind of dog was it?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

abcdavid01 wrote:Yeah, I'm with JimmyC and Adama. My old man's looking to get a wire fox terrier now. My mom's probably going to divorce him and he's got a lot of pressure going on him, so he wants a companion. The things you said are true Winston, but the loyalty outweighs them all.
I've said it before - your dad is a smart guy. Having the canine companion will help insulate him from falling in love too easily on the rebound.

I wish to God I'd done that.