Sometimes having a positive attitude is not enough...

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Sometimes having a positive attitude is not enough...

Post by Temprano26 »

This is something I am told all the time by people putting the blame for my unhappiness on my shoulders. I don't argue that you should approach life with a good attitude but I have just found that having a good attitude is not enough. The people that tell me that are often people who haven't the first clue of how much I am struggling because they cannot get past their own fictional assumptions. There are times I go out with a smile on my face only to be met with ugly glares from people. There are days I have sat in restaurants and I try to be friendly to the people sitting behind me but they are too anti-social. I ask them a question, they answer me curtly just to be polite and then they turn their heads back to the person they were talking to because God forbid we have a conversation with a stranger. I have gone out alone so many times and people have no interest in me unless I have a cigarette lighter. I have just found it really hard to establish strong relationships in a society of business-oriented people. I ride the train nearly every day where nobody wants to talk to anyone else. I make the best of the monotony by reading books and studying massage therapy but I am tired of being inside my own head. It is great to be a person of intelligence that enjoys his own company but I don't have enough social interactions anymore to balance that out.

To be clear, attitude does matter to an extent. If you approach the world with bitterness and hatred then that is all you will receive in return. But some people will not return your friendliness because anger is all they have in them. People are filled with emotional baggage and it is not fun to deal with them. There is nothing I can do about all the men that have left women feeling jaded and bitter. People project negative vibes and they bring me down.

I became depressed when I came back to the United States because no amount of positive thinking changes the fact that Costa Rica is a better place for love and relationships. This is because people in Costa Rica are not plugged into their cell phones and iPods. This is because people in Costa Rica are genuinely interested in other human beings and in the world we live in. It is hard to make friends in a world where everyone ignores everyone else.

Ultimately, this has created a world where people pretend to be happy despite how they really feel and it is making us ill.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Of course it's not enough! I never thought it was. There are other factors involved. This whole positive thinking theory is not complete. It does not take into account market conditions and prejudices.

There was a guy here Steve Hoca and he gave an example how he worked with HVAC people who were very negative and unfriendly but who got great jobs because their skills were in demand and who made big money.

I also worked with sullen and nasty people who were doing very well socially and financially.

Positive thinking is a false teaching, like a false religion. I prefer common sense and action based on common sense.

This is not to say that we should be negative-- we should just be realistic.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

ladislav wrote:Of course it's not enough! I never thought it was. There are other factors involved. This whole positive thinking theory is not complete. It does not take into account market conditions and prejudices.

There was a guy here Steve Hoca and he gave an example how he worked with HVAC people who were very negative and unfriendly but who got great jobs because their skills were in demand and who made big money.

I also worked with sullen and nasty people who were doing very well socially and financially.

Positive thinking is a false teaching, like a false religion. I prefer common sense and action based on common sense.

This is not to say that we should be negative-- we should just be realistic.

Good post I agree, I get tired of the {claim they are positive idiots} who actually have no clue and are going the wrong direction as far as trying to right a good future for all.
Time to Hide!
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 23rd, 2020, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

That is the whole thing about it, they want to program all of us to be happy with alot less and have their dictates enforced on all of us at gunpoint, then tell us we should be happy about it while they have more for themselves.

G Edward Griffin made this point, he said they are preparing us for total serfdom to the all powerful state they are building around the world and we are going to learn to like it and be grateful to our rulers about our serfdom.

Have you ever listened to Mike Rivero at what really happened?
Time to Hide!
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster

Post by SilverEnergy »

No, they aren't saying that just having a positive mindset is all you need to do.

The key is that it's bad to focus on what's bad in your life all the time, feeling self pity.

Some people are so addicted to their struggles that they don't put in enough energy taking ACTION to FIND SOLUTIONS.

You not only need the positive mindset but you need to TAKE ACTION.

A positive mindset will give you the motivation to find SOLUTIONS.

It's easier to complain than to fix the problem.

But having a positive mindset will help you get to your destination much quicker.

Complaining all the time does you no good in life.
"Allow me to show you the Power Cosmic!" - Silver Surfer
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Post by Temprano26 »

You are right. We should take action and in taking action we find what works and what doesn't. Going out to nightclubs with a positive attitude is good but as Winston has written about and as I have learned, it is not a solution to loneliness.

When we struggle to find good solutions we come to the idea of moving somewhere else to find happiness instead of struggling to improve our situations.
FinnMonash
Freshman Poster

Post by FinnMonash »

SilverEnergy wrote:No, they aren't saying that just having a positive mindset is all you need to do.

The key is that it's bad to focus on what's bad in your life all the time, feeling self pity.

Some people are so addicted to their struggles that they don't put in enough energy taking ACTION to FIND SOLUTIONS.

You not only need the positive mindset but you need to TAKE ACTION.

A positive mindset will give you the motivation to find SOLUTIONS.

It's easier to complain than to fix the problem.

But having a positive mindset will help you get to your destination much quicker.

Complaining all the time does you no good in life.
I like your thinking very simple and effective and I also think we have to look for answers rather than questioning this is nothing but positive attitude.