There are no good jobs...

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on November 18th, 2019, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on November 18th, 2019, 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: There are no good jobs...

Post by zboy1 »

Tsar, listen to what others have told you on this forum, so make the move now! The longer you wait, the more regret you'll have in the future. (Trust me about this!)

I made the move to Communist China, for goodness sake!--and it was the best decision I've ever made! I'm having a blast in China, and so did a few others. I've met EthanSG and Cheezeraider in-person, too! Also, Ghost and Magnum have been (or still is) in China for a few as years as well.

I know you're interested in Latin American and Eastern European countries moreso than Asia, so ask for advice from Ladislav,Chilobo, SSJParis, Publicduende, Eurobrat, E_Irizzary, Fschmidt, Jester and Taco about those regions.

Not only will you feel totally rejuvenated by moving abroad, you will feel a huge weight has been lifted from your shoulders...
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

I will seriously look into teaching English abroad, probably South Korea or China because it pays much better than Eastern Europe. I'll try to give it a shot even though I have a stammer. Should I look into getting CELTA or TEFL? Is one of those certifications mandatory for someone that wants to teach English abroad? I have a four-year degree in business. My passport expires in 2016 so I'll probably need a new passport if I were to be working abroad?
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Tsar wrote:I will seriously look into teaching English abroad, probably South Korea or China because it pays much better than Eastern Europe. I'll try to give it a shot even though I have a stammer. Should I look into getting CELTA or TEFL? Is one of those certifications mandatory for someone that wants to teach English abroad?
It is essentially mandatory in Korea and some other places and helpful in China. Also, it would help to know what you are doing. I would recommend China at this stage.
My passport expires in 2016 so I'll probably need a new passport if I were to be working abroad?
Yes.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Cornfed wrote:
Tsar wrote:I will seriously look into teaching English abroad, probably South Korea or China because it pays much better than Eastern Europe. I'll try to give it a shot even though I have a stammer. Should I look into getting CELTA or TEFL? Is one of those certifications mandatory for someone that wants to teach English abroad?
It is essentially mandatory in Korea and some other places and helpful in China. Also, it would help to know what you are doing. I would recommend China at this stage.
My passport expires in 2016 so I'll probably need a new passport if I were to be working abroad?
Yes.
Which certification is better?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Tsar wrote:Which certification is better?
I would have thought the CELTA, but I don't really know what the market wants now.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on November 18th, 2019, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Ghost wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
Tsar wrote:Which certification is better?
I would have thought the CELTA, but I don't really know what the market wants now.
I think either one would be fine, but the main thing is to take at least a 120 hour course, on site, that includes practice teaching.
There aren't any centers nearby. Would a 120 hour online course be sufficient or must it be on site?

The closest site to me is the International House Boston. It's almost 1 hour and 30 minutes away, and more than 70 miles away.

Jester suggested I fly to China as a tourist and take TEFL there. Then I could get hooked up with a job.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on November 18th, 2019, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Ghost wrote:I really wouldn't suggest doing a course online. Your certificate won't state that it was taken online, but you'd always have to guard the secret.
Yeah, online courses aren’t taken seriously and rightly so. For a practical skill you need the time in class practicing and exchanging information with others. Also, ideally you would have pictures taken with your students which you could use to market yourself.