There are no good jobs...

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Re: There are no good jobs...

Post by onethousandknives »

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

mahadeveshwara
Freshman Poster

Post by mahadeveshwara »

Tsar wrote:
droid wrote:Hey Matt and Tsar, I don't want to sound as harsh as Devil Dog but what do you guys actually do during the day, week after week?
It would be interesting to know.
This thread is 10 months old, if you had taken some job at a body shop or house painting you'd have 10-15K in your pocket, at the very least.
Day after day, week after week is almost exactly the same for me. I look for any job but there's nothing but "no reply," denials, and rejections. I receive "no reply" or am rejected for jobs that are even beneath my level. I need to leave my state for a better one but without either having a job in a better state or enough money without a job it's impossible to leave. There's almost no jobs in my state (the majority of people are middle-aged experienced workers, retirees, public employees, healthcare workers, or people on welfare). I guess I might as well name the state. The state is Rhode Island. The worst state in the entire country and the worst for Millennials. Most graduates leave the state but I'm too poor to leave.

I spend my time doing some hobbies. Once the Spring arrives I'll have a few more hobbies to do. Aside from that, there is nothing in my life. I have no friends. I have no job. Can't get any job. Can't relocate without a job. Too poor to relocate. Too poor travel abroad.

I'll probably try out for the Navy late this year or next year if things haven't changed.
What I would do in this situation is get to know the local temp agencies (there are probably about 5). Call them every day and see if you can't get something. It's not that unrealistic. If you don't have basic office experience, volunteer or do an internship. It's easier in college, but still it's not that hard to get basic office experience. If you show some initiative they will respond to that. For example you could do basic filing/admin work in a nursing home or whatever field it is that you're interested in. If you want to go blue collar, figure out how to get involved in that. You have tons of time and you could be getting experience to build a resume.

Also, you could work on ODesk. Dude you are living at home and having all your expenses covered. You could be saving up money big time. Even @ $5 an hour 20 hours a week you could save up $5000 a year, which again if you could continue working abroad at the same pace would support you in half the countries in the world for almost a year. And no I'm not gonna tell you how to make money on ODesk. I had to figure it out for myself, ie take some initiative. I started out working for $1-2 an hour.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

Tsar wrote:
Cornfed wrote:What do you suggest they do? I hope it is not spending all their time running around looking for jobs that most likely don't exist. Man, that would be a sad waste of a life and would probably permanently emotionally scar you after a few months.
I've been applying at any job except the part-time minimum wage jobs. Difficult finding a full-time minimum wage job since the employers want to withhold benefits, vacation, and anything they want and even then those are competitive and don't pay a livable wage. The only responses I receive are "No Response" or "Rejected." Almost one year and rejected for every job. Never even got a single interview for any of those applications.
Then there are Americans who not only get either rejected or no response, but the only responses they seem to ever get that aren't rejection letters are from scammers in Nigeria making too-good-to-be-true promises.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

Tsar wrote:
Cornfed wrote:What do you suggest they do? I hope it is not spending all their time running around looking for jobs that most likely don't exist. Man, that would be a sad waste of a life and would probably permanently emotionally scar you after a few months.
I've been applying at any job except the part-time minimum wage jobs. Difficult finding a full-time minimum wage job since the employers want to withhold benefits, vacation, and anything they want and even then those are competitive and don't pay a livable wage. The only responses I receive are "No Response" or "Rejected." Almost one year and rejected for every job. Never even got a single interview for any of those applications.
Then there are Americans who not only get either rejected or no response, but the only responses they seem to ever get that aren't rejection letters are from scammers in Nigeria making too-good-to-be-true promises.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

That doesn't give a person a confidence boost. That article just showed how difficult it is to even get a job that's posted on Craigslist.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

Tsar wrote:
That doesn't give a person a confidence boost. That article just showed how difficult it is to even get a job that's posted on Craigslist.
Craigslist is not a good site for job hunting; there's a triple whammy for people looking for jobs via Craigslist. Either it's you along with a bunch of others applying to the same job, the job doesn't exist, or the job is a scam. More often than not, people applying to jobs on Craigslist end up realizing it's a scam.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Tsar wrote:
droid wrote:Hey Matt and Tsar, I don't want to sound as harsh as Devil Dog but what do you guys actually do during the day, week after week?
It would be interesting to know.
This thread is 10 months old, if you had taken some job at a body shop or house painting you'd have 10-15K in your pocket, at the very least.
Day after day, week after week is almost exactly the same for me. I look for any job but there's nothing but "no reply," denials, and rejections. I receive "no reply" or am rejected for jobs that are even beneath my level. I need to leave my state for a better one but without either having a job in a better state or enough money without a job it's impossible to leave. There's almost no jobs in my state (the majority of people are middle-aged experienced workers, retirees, public employees, healthcare workers, or people on welfare). I guess I might as well name the state. The state is Rhode Island. The worst state in the entire country and the worst for Millennials. Most graduates leave the state but I'm too poor to leave.

I spend my time doing some hobbies. Once the Spring arrives I'll have a few more hobbies to do. Aside from that, there is nothing in my life. I have no friends. I have no job. Can't get any job. Can't relocate without a job. Too poor to relocate. Too poor travel abroad.

I'll probably try out for the Navy late this year or next year if things haven't changed.
How are you doing this? are you just applying online? where are you finding these offerings?
I believe online/fax stuff goes straight to the shredder, as there's not enough information to differentiate you.
In my experience, the only way it works is by showing up and offering your service. Each and every job i've had was through knocking on the door and talking to someone in charge. It makes a big difference.

I understand the name of the thread is "Good Jobs", but like I've told you before, you'll have to start with whatever it is for a few months so you can build some rapport and people can trust you once they see that in your resume. If you had done that when this thread started you'd be in a better position already.
There's nothing wrong with blue collar stuff, it certainly beats going into the navy or what not. Just show up at a construction site and say you're willing to learn.
Again, not to sound like Devil Dog, but at your age I was spray painting the inside of a fertilizer truck under 95 degree heat. It didn't kill me. At least you're fortunate to have finished your studies by now.

State in your resume too that your wiling to learn etc. overall, be humble. The point is just to GET STARTED with something, only then you'll meet other people and find additional opportunities.

And sorry, i must push this, can you please be honest and state where the "free" 10K are coming from?
I mean, you and Matt at least have some subsidy or free housing.
Last edited by droid on March 5th, 2015, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Cornfed wrote:
droid wrote:Also, i don't agree with the parallel Matt tries to make between jobs and dating. I can settle for a baseboard-sanding job, but i won't settle for a fat/old chick. Completely different arenas.
There are two problems with this thinking:
1. Certain jobs will literally kill certain people over a relatively short space of time.
2. As previously stated, there are often NO jobs that a particular person will be considered for.

You are to the issue of jobs what the people criticizing your for not getting AW are to the issue of romance.
1. You're taking that to absurdum as yet another excuse. Tsar even mentioned he'd go to the navy, so a little bit of sanding, ladder work, or spraying won't kill him.

2. Well if you have nothing to offer to your peers in society, they're not obligated to give you THEIR production. I mean, should they? You have to adapt to service the needs of others. That's the underlying basis of economics.

The issue of Jobs in America depends mostly on your demeanor (unless you're parallized or something). While the issue of dating in America depends mostly on your looks. That's why they are two different arenas.
It's interesting to note that while on different positions, BOTH Matt and Devil Dog try to make the parallel between the two things.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

droid wrote:Tsar even mentioned he'd go to the navy, so a little bit of sanding, ladder work, or spraying won't kill him.
I'd be completely willing to find some manual sanding work or painting but those don't seem to be really common in RI, or if those jobs were common in RI then I don't know how to find them or other odd jobs to make some extra money.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

But answer what i was asking, have you actually gone by foot to places and see what help they might need? or have you done it all online.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

droid wrote:But answer what i was asking, have you actually gone by foot to places and see what help they might need? or have you done it all online.
I didn't because so far they have all been medium or larger companies which all do hiring in corporate HR. Based on what I heard, the managers don't have any real power in who they select.

I'll follow up with one local company in person that was fairly small in size, but I doubt I'll have any better luck.

There aren't too many small businesses in the suburban RI or other areas, businesses that do localized hiring.

The majority of decent paying small businesses are aimed at middle-aged professionals with years of experience. RI is not the place for entry-level work of any kind unless the Millennial is very lucky.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Yeah but like i said even if it's some blue collar stuff or pizza place, you'll get work experience. it's not even about the money, just so you can say people have trusted you, and you may get some exercise and improve on people skills. As well as getting out of the house and stimulating your mind.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

droid wrote: Tsar even mentioned he'd go to the navy, so a little bit of sanding, ladder work, or spraying won't kill him.
OK, but that work may not be available. We have talked about this before.
2. Well if you have nothing to offer to your peers in society, they're not obligated to give you THEIR production.
It is not a case of young men not having anything to offer. It is a case of society being set up so as to not have anything to offer them. The core business of any society that is not a death cult is inducting young men into the adult world so they can raise families etc. If businesses are not doing that then they should go bust, the assholes running them should starve to death etc. and they should be replaced with businesses that strengthen society instead of destroying it. Whether this happens via the some facsimile of a “free market” or is done more directly matters not.
The issue of Jobs in America depends mostly on your demeanor
No, it is about your parentage, gender and other things beyond your control. You clearly have never had to look for jobs. You are lucky, just like some men positioned to score females are lucky.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

droid wrote:But answer what i was asking, have you actually gone by foot to places and see what help they might need? or have you done it all online.
You are not seriously suggesting the unemployed spend their days roaming around panhandling random businesses for jobs, are you?
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

It is not a case of young men not having anything to offer. It is a case of society being set up so as to not have anything to offer them. The core business of any society that is not a death cult is inducting young men into the adult world so they can raise families etc. If businesses are not doing that then they should go bust, the assholes running them should starve to death etc. and they should be replaced with businesses that strengthen society instead of destroying it. Whether this happens via the some facsimile of a “free market” or is done more directly matters not.
I'm not denying there is corruption preventing full participation, but your -liberal- mistake is in assuming businesses are obligated to something. whereas everyone is really just a buyer and seller in the economy. The real problem is with the money supply but that's subject for another thread. Why do i feel a deja-vu...
No, it is about your parentage, gender and other things beyond your control. You clearly have never had to look for jobs. You are lucky, just like some men positioned to score females are lucky
You are not seriously suggesting the unemployed spend their days roaming around panhandling random businesses for jobs, are you?
That's exactly what i did every time and this wasn't too long ago. Maybe I'm actually lucky in that i have something to offer, in a variety of fields, most self-taught. Perhaps Tsar could make use of some of his hobbies in this regard.

By the way, Matt never answered OutWest's questions as to what skills he could offer.