There are no good jobs...

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

There are no good jobs...

Post by Tsar »

There are no good jobs for college graduates. What would you recommend for young men who have a bachelor's degree that can't find even a good job or even decent paying job.

The largest category of jobs in America are minimum wage jobs
Then the second largest category are for people with 5+ years of experience
The next grouping is composed of science or tech fields which includes: programmers, medical fields, nurses, or engineers, etc
Then there are teachers or jobs mainly for women
Then there are sales jobs (many are low paying and highly commission based. This isn't secure or stable)
Then there are accounting jobs (one of the most boring jobs in the world. Invent a tax code and enforce it, therefore every business whether it's a public corporation or not needs an account)
Then there is a small category of decent paying jobs for people with little or no experience, and with a decent pay relative to the cost of living in a given geographical area. (even those usually require a mandatory 1-4 years of experience or specialty experience. In my situation there are not many jobs in the fields of business). The odds of getting a good job or even a decent job are like winning one of the smaller lottery prizes (maybe a 1 in 100 or 1 in 500 chance)

Then there's the American military that fights unjust wars and are used as cannonfodder for the plutocrats, oligarchs, kleptocrats, fascists, top 1%, and to defend the corporations and Israel. Lose their life or return home dismembered or mentally scarred with PTSD.

The minimum wage should become $15/hour if most jobs are going to be minimum wage and the government should give everyone ages 21-60 $25,000 per year as a living allowance.

There will never be an economic recovery when the government keeps bailing out the banks, supporting the elites and corporations, and destroying the people by creating a 21st century serfdom. Wall Street artificially keeps food prices and energy prices high because they're very parasitic. America is a nation of serfs and slaves. America should be called a beggar nation with the amount of people unemployed, underemployed, working minimum wage jobs because that's the only thing they could get, or because they're on unemployment. America is a beggar nation.

What do you recommend that young men in that situation do? How do you recommend they begin to earn money?
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

I don't have specific advice but I posted my experience in the job world here: http://www.coalpha.org/Three-Worlds-td7575195.html
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

drealm wrote:
I don't have specific advice but I posted my experience in the job world here: http://www.coalpha.org/Three-Worlds-td7575195.html
Stunningly good post:

The more open minded a company claims to be, the more dogmatic they usually are.

Most people in silicon valley associate innovation with making something slightly more complex, slightly stupider, slightly harder to use. As long as something is new and nobody understands it you can pass as intelligent. If you demand simplicity and a reason for change you’re a traitor to their cause. This is perfectly compatible with modern culture, which is based on ego rather than retrospection. In office politics idealism is taken over intelligence. It’s better to be new than good. And it’s sacrilege to go backwards. To be successful in silicon valley you need to buy into this mythological improvement cult.

Chinese are up front about the fact that they worship money. As long as you deliver, they don’t care what you think. They’re unashamedly hyper capitalist. There’s none of this progressive company philosophy that you’re forced to gobble up in silicon valley. Brute force is valued over originality. Speed is pursued over quality. Money means more than ideas.

The formula is brazenly simple. We make stuff cheaper. Since Americans have no loyalty they buy our stuff. In the long run Americans will slit their own wrists by buying our products but they’re too short sighted to see this.

These three jobs reflect three different ways of dealing with the world. You can drop out and be poor. Swallow the blue pill and survive. Or slaughter passive sheep and become rich.

Dude can freakin WRITE.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

It will get worse in America..forget outsourcing to Asia...Now American corporations are hiring Prisoners for pennies...MUST READ ***

http://www.activistpost.com/2014/04/ove ... ns-by.html

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/arch ... -they-make

According to the Left Business Observer, the federal prison industry produces 100% of all military helmets, ammunition belts, bullet-proof vests, ID tags, shirts, pants, tents, bags, and canteens.

Along with war supplies, prison workers supply 98% of the entire market for equipment assembly services; 93% of paints and paintbrushes; 92% of stove assembly; 46% of body armor; 36% of home appliances; 30% of headphones/microphones/speakers; and 21% of office furniture. Airplane parts, medical supplies, and much more: prisoners are even raising seeing-eye dogs for blind people.

At least 37 states have legalized the contracting of prison labor by private corporations that mount their operations inside state prisons. The list of such companies contains the cream of U.S. corporate society: IBM, Boeing, Motorola, Microsoft, AT&T, Wireless, Texas Instrument, Dell, Compaq, Honeywell, Hewlett-Packard, Nortel, Lucent Technologies, 3Com, Intel, Northern Telecom, TWA, Nordstrom’s, Revlon, Macy’s, Pierre Cardin, Target Stores, and many more. All of these businesses are excited about the economic boom generation by prison labor. Just between 1980 and 1994, profits went up from $392 million to $1.31 billion.

Inmates in state penitentiaries generally receive the minimum wage for their work, but not all; in Colorado, they get about $2 per hour, well under the minimum. And in privately-run prisons, they receive as little as 17 cents per hour for a maximum of six hours a day, the equivalent of $20 per month. The highest-paying private prison is CCA in Tennessee, where prisoners receive 50 cents per hour for what they call “highly skilled positions.â€￾ At those rates, it is no surprise that inmates find the pay in federal prisons to be very generous. There, they can earn $1.25 an hour and work eight hours a day, and sometimes overtime. They can send home $200-$300 per month.

--------------

Private Prison in America are the new place to look for cheap labor, they are getting guys for 20 USD a month. Now you know where all the jobs are going....
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much for buying American -- unless it's a family-owned company.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
rudder
Junior Poster

Re: There are no good jobs...

Post by rudder »

Tsar wrote:There are no good jobs for college graduates. What would you recommend for young men who have a bachelor's degree that can't find even a good job or even decent paying job.

The largest category of jobs in America are minimum wage jobs
Then the second largest category are for people with 5+ years of experience
The next grouping is composed of science or tech fields which includes: programmers, medical fields, nurses, or engineers, etc
Then there are teachers or jobs mainly for women
Then there are sales jobs (many are low paying and highly commission based. This isn't secure or stable)
Then there are accounting jobs (one of the most boring jobs in the world. Invent a tax code and enforce it, therefore every business whether it's a public corporation or not needs an account)
Then there is a small category of decent paying jobs for people with little or no experience, and with a decent pay relative to the cost of living in a given geographical area. (even those usually require a mandatory 1-4 years of experience or specialty experience. In my situation there are not many jobs in the fields of business). The odds of getting a good job or even a decent job are like winning one of the smaller lottery prizes (maybe a 1 in 100 or 1 in 500 chance)

Then there's the American military that fights unjust wars and are used as cannonfodder for the plutocrats, oligarchs, kleptocrats, fascists, top 1%, and to defend the corporations and Israel. Lose their life or return home dismembered or mentally scarred with PTSD.

The minimum wage should become $15/hour if most jobs are going to be minimum wage and the government should give everyone ages 21-60 $25,000 per year as a living allowance.

There will never be an economic recovery when the government keeps bailing out the banks, supporting the elites and corporations, and destroying the people by creating a 21st century serfdom. Wall Street artificially keeps food prices and energy prices high because they're very parasitic. America is a nation of serfs and slaves. America should be called a beggar nation with the amount of people unemployed, underemployed, working minimum wage jobs because that's the only thing they could get, or because they're on unemployment. America is a beggar nation.

What do you recommend that young men in that situation do? How do you recommend they begin to earn money?
All that + finding a virgin bride in another country + living outside of the USA...good luck!

I don't know what to tell you, other than that there are probably millions of young people in your exact same position. I'm a college graduate, but don't really know what to do.
manly5000
Freshman Poster

Post by manly5000 »

Move to North Dakota and become a Welder.
Out in the world living the dream!
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

rudder wrote:All that + finding a virgin bride in another country + living outside of the USA...good luck!

I don't know what to tell you, other than that there are probably millions of young people in your exact same position. I'm a college graduate, but don't really know what to do.
Getting a job in America that pays well as a young man is the most difficult part of that equation you mention. All of those are very doable. Living outside the US makes it easier to find a virgin bride. The market isn't as saturated with multinational corporations with a store on every block and there is more opportunity to rise the socioeconomic pyramid. Many good girls would prefer to stay in their country.
??????
Freshman Poster

Post by ?????? »

You could research what trades are in demand and then go go to a community college or vocational school that deals with the trade/vocation you decide to train in. I'm sure there are industrial or commercial places that need skilled mechanics, steam fitters, plumbers, electricians, HVAC (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning.) techs, welders, machinists, drafting, ect. Be prepared to work long hours and in dirty and hot/cold environment. I know in our culture in this country many parents have taught their kids to turn up their noses at these types of jobs because they are "dirty" or in "uncomfortable conditions hot or cold", but that attitude is going to have to change if they want any decent paying jobs that are resistant to outsourcing .

My father has been an HVAC tech for 35 years and makes great money. However, since he is the business owner and the technician he is on call all 7 days a week during the spring and summer. Then sends out the invoices he made to show the what the parts cost and files copies of the invoices he sent in previous weeks along with other paperwork on Sunday. He is still busy busy during the winter and fall, it's just not as hectic as spring and summer. He has the money andcould have gone abroad years ago if he wanted to, but he likes spending his money on hobbies and that's ok.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Tsar wrote:The minimum wage should become $15/hour if most jobs are going to be minimum wage and the government should give everyone ages 21-60 $25,000 per year as a living allowance.
And don't forget Cornfed's p4p subsidy LMAO.

Money doesn't grow on trees guys. Unless there is the corresponding productivity, more money won't buy you more. Where (more importantly, whom) would the $25K come from?
If you raise minimum wage out of a whim, everything is just going to get more expensive afterwards, starting with your RENT. The rabbit hole is deeper than it seems at first sight.

You haven't told us what your specialty/degree is.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

droid wrote:You haven't told us what your specialty/degree is.
My major was business. My main interests in that field are entrepreneurial or investments. It should be a very versatile degree but even with a very high gpa and a good degree the economy is in shambles and decent jobs are scarce. I live in the absolute worst state in the country when it comes to jobs and has one of the highest costs of living in the continental U.S. being in the northeast, not to mention the complete lack of social opportunities and most people my age being unwelcoming and inhospitable. My life has been filled with many setbacks because of my location. I would have had much more economic opportunities if I lived in another state.
Switzerland to vote on $2,800 monthly ‘basic income’ for adults

https://news.yahoo.com/blogs/the-sidesh ... 37885.html
$2,800 every month for every adult in SwitzerlandI believe they already have a mostly free national healthcare system and mostly free university education at public universities. That would be $33,800 per year as a basic living allowance. Most jobs could become part-time at the minimum wage giving everyone a job or hobby. Productivity would increase and there would be little unemployment. There wouldn't be much poverty.

Should the Swiss give their people that living allowance then they every Swiss person would be earning more than every American. Most of America are working minimum wage jobs or barely above poverty-line. 20% of households are on food stamps. The Swiss will earn more just doing nothing. Consider that the majority of Americans also have student loan payments, income taxes, personally paid healthcare deductibles, and any out-of-pocket obamacare premiums because of that FascistCare personal mandate provision, the Swiss will get more money. The Swiss don't have GMOs and they have a very functional government (because it's not American, British, or burdened by the EU).
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

droid wrote:
Tsar wrote:The minimum wage should become $15/hour if most jobs are going to be minimum wage and the government should give everyone ages 21-60 $25,000 per year as a living allowance.

Money doesn't grow on trees guys. Unless there is the corresponding productivity, more money won't buy you more. Where (more importantly, whom) would the $25K come from?
Money is just information and is created out of thin air. Resources that money can buy come from nature, the output of machines, the efforts of people now dead or retired, people in places like China and, to a much lesser extent, the tiny percentage of people in the West who are doing anything useful for a job.
If you raise minimum wage out of a whim, everything is just going to get more expensive afterwards, starting with your RENT. The rabbit hole is deeper than it seems at first sight.
It is actually when you give money to the rich that it gets spend on bidding up the price of real estate and therefore mortgage/rent increases. Back in the day when the average man got a decent wage, rent was much cheaper.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

droid wrote:If you raise minimum wage out of a whim..
On the subject of minimum wage, it is partly about not letting people leech off society. Suppose a company is paying $5 an hour for full time workers. The question is, is the company meeting the true cost of that worker? Can the worker live in that town, pay his rent, run a vehicle, and do the other things necessary things to participate in the community such as raising children on that income? The answer is likely to be no. So if he is there working full time, someone else must be paying for this, and it is likely to be the government in the form of subsidized housing, free healthcare, subsidized transport and so on.

Now, most of us recognize the need for a safety net because there are simply not enough paid jobs for everyone to be continuously employed any more and people have accidents and such. However, we don't want people who could pay their way to be able to sponge off others. By paying less than the true cost of workers and expecting the government to pay the rest, this is what CEOs, executives etc. are doing. They are getting the benefit of workers while the rest of us are picking up much of the tab. Much of the excess money this gives them gets deposited in offshore bank accounts or used to bid up the price of fixed assets, further screwing us. Therefore, it is in the interests of everyone but the tiny parasitical elite to have high minimum wages.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Cornfed wrote:
droid wrote:

Money is just information and is created out of thin air. Resources that money can buy come from nature, the output of machines, the efforts of people now dead or retired, people in places like China and, to a much lesser extent, the tiny percentage of people in the West who are doing anything useful for a job.
It is actually when you give money to the rich that it gets spend on bidding up the price of real estate and therefore mortgage/rent increases. Back in the day when the average man got a decent wage, rent was much cheaper.
What is money? It's not the dollars, euros, or whatever fiat currency you could name. Fiat currency is an illusion. It's inherently worthless. It's a pyramid scheme. Anything of value is derived from nature. Most of this world is an illusion created to give a tiny select group power. Through that counterfeiting fraud and popular brainwashing campaign they control the world. I wrote a long rant on that topic but I decided not to include it.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Tsar:
True, there are cases like Switzerland and Qatar, with all the foreign accounts and oil respectively, but I don't think that applies to America. As a principle, why couldn't the whole world just declare a minimum income and work only 3 hours per week for example? Sometimes such measures seem rather arbitrary, when people vote themselves stuff. Not that it can't work in some places.

cornfed:
There is still a lot of manual labor involved in all the stuff we consume. And in the West, it's really not tiny the amount of *ss busting that goes on to produce such goods/services, despite all the other Chinese stuff and automation. Sometimes the media would have you believe that "all jobs are gone" etc.
What do you mean by 'giving money to the rich'?
I think the rent problem is more related to the lack of true credit and a truly free currency, which would allow people to own for real.
In this sense, I agree money is just numbers (ideally), but handing out $25K to someone that then decides to sit on his butt will only drive prices up I would believe. In my model, it would instead be credit, which would have to be returned, inducing some production that backs up the numbers. That's just a sketch of it, probably deserves a whole other thread.

My main point here is that since people are still heavily involved in production, as somebody has to make things (it's a very real thing); you can't just arbitrarily consume for free what others have made.
Having said that, I think if we eliminated corruption and straightened out the currency, one could work 15-20 hours a week for a livable income, and have extra time to study, travel etc.

Tsar wrote:What is money? It's not the dollars, euros, or whatever fiat currency you could name. Fiat currency is an illusion. It's inherently worthless. It's a pyramid scheme. Anything of value is derived from nature. Most of this world is an illusion created to give a tiny select group power. Through that counterfeiting fraud and popular brainwashing campaign they control the world. I wrote a long rant on that topic but I decided not to include it.
Fiat is not necessarily an illusion, it depends on its nature really. If it's the government that prints to indulge in corruption, bribery of all forms, etc, it's non-productive. But if you think of it as contracts that people initiate to facilitate indirect barter, then it can make a lot of sense. Check this out:
http://www.newapproachtofreedom.info/documents/pem.pdf
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?