No services for people with disabilities in Philippines!

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Re: No services for people with disabilities in Philippines!

Post by davewe »

OutWest wrote:
We are not here to fluff your pillow.
I am laughing my ass off.

Quote of the year!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

davewe
Experienced Poster

Re: No services for people with disabilities in Philippines!

Post by davewe »

OutWest wrote:
They do have a very reliable support system in the Philippines though. It's called FAMILY.
There's a well known Philippines blogger I know. Retired, he's lived in PI with his wife for maybe 6 years. Her father has Alzheimer's and is sometimes violent - and lives with them. They built him a small house behind theirs and a niece/nephew do a lot of the care taking. The social contract in the West is that the collective society (aka the government) takes care of you. In the Philippines, like many 3rd world countries, the social contract is that the family and to a lesser degree the neighborhood takes care of you.

My wife's aunt got seriously ill and moved to a different town to live with her parents. Her husband works hard and there are 3 kids. My wife's mother thought nothing of taking in one of the 3 children to help out.

My wife's lolo (grandfather) is 84. A sweet guy - like most 84 year olds he has a variety of health problems. He lives a stones throw from my inlaws. Every night one of the teenage children sleeps at his house to make sure he is OK. This is the difference in the Philippines and frankly as an aging guy who has no interest in eventually being shipped off to a home, I think it's not a bad system.

And as Outwest said, the cost of help in the Philippines is cheap. Whether you need a live in maid or a live in nurse, it's affordable. Try hiring a full time nurse in the West.