I can't win...

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Guyver
Freshman Poster

I can't win...

Post by Guyver »

Okay, so usually I am just a lurker here, and I rarely post anything. I think the last time I posted something was about 3 or maybe 4 years ago. I can't remember...

Anyways, here it is. For the past 9 years, I have been busting my ASS to get to a point in my life when I can finally start traveling overseas after I found out how different women and people are in general in other countries. Last year, I finally acquired a couple weeks of leave vacation time from my job, and I was going to plan a trip to either Poland or Finland. Of course, last year I bought my first house which was my goal for 2016 (better to pay towards equity instead of putting the money in some else's pocket all my life), and then travel at the end of the year.

I got the house, but I dumped most of my savings into getting the place(closing costs), expensive appliances, and supplies(lawn mower, weed wacker, cleaning stuff, etc.). Not to mention some expensive mandatory maintenance(about the cost it would take to pay for a round trip to other countries) that I dropped into the car to keep it on the road for the long term. After everything, I still had enough left to plan the trip, and get my ass out of the U.S.

NOPE! Within that same week I was planning my trip, my company comes to me and gives me the f**k YOU which completely screwed up my entire world. They told me I have to move to New Jersey by the end of 2017 (I currently live in another state). That news they dumped on me was like a bomb that came from North Korea passing the 38th parallel hitting it's mark on my f***ing head!

Note that my place has no furniture. I sleep on a friggin air mattress. Now, after the news, I am left with a decision. Keep the house or sell it. After everything I put into this place, I am choosing to try everything in my power to keep it. In order to do this, I need to convert it into a rental property in the event I can't find a new job that pays about the same of what I am getting now before the end of the year.

Since I don't know the first damn thing about being a renter, I figure the best way to offer up a rental home is to advertise it as a fully furnished home to potential tenants. This would be more attractive to tenants than a non-furnished home right? In order to do that, I need to go save up enough money to pay for expensive furniture to fill my place from nothing. The kind of money that could have paid for my trip...

f**k ME GUYS! Am I cursed?? I mean seriously, what the ever living monkey f***s!

Okay, rant is over. Have a nice day :) .
Smart men learn from their mistakes. Wise men learn from other men's mistakes.

Knowledge is gained in bad experiences, but confidence is only gained through positive experiences.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: I can't win...

Post by Tsar »

Guyver wrote:Okay, so usually I am just a lurker here, and I rarely post anything. I think the last time I posted something was about 3 or maybe 4 years ago. I can't remember...

Anyways, here it is. For the past 9 years, I have been busting my ASS to get to a point in my life when I can finally start traveling overseas after I found out how different women and people are in general in other countries. Last year, I finally acquired a couple weeks of leave vacation time from my job, and I was going to plan a trip to either Poland or Finland. Of course, last year I bought my first house which was my goal for 2016 (better to pay towards equity instead of putting the money in some else's pocket all my life), and then travel at the end of the year.

I got the house, but I dumped most of my savings into getting the place(closing costs), expensive appliances, and supplies(lawn mower, weed wacker, cleaning stuff, etc.). Not to mention some expensive mandatory maintenance(about the cost it would take to pay for a round trip to other countries) that I dropped into the car to keep it on the road for the long term. After everything, I still had enough left to plan the trip, and get my ass out of the U.S.

NOPE! Within that same week I was planning my trip, my company comes to me and gives me the f**k YOU which completely screwed up my entire world. They told me I have to move to New Jersey by the end of 2017 (I currently live in another state). That news they dumped on me was like a bomb that came from North Korea passing the 38th parallel hitting it's mark on my f***ing head!

Note that my place has no furniture. I sleep on a friggin air mattress. Now, after the news, I am left with a decision. Keep the house or sell it. After everything I put into this place, I am choosing to try everything in my power to keep it. In order to do this, I need to convert it into a rental property in the event I can't find a new job that pays about the same of what I am getting now before the end of the year.

Since I don't know the first damn thing about being a renter, I figure the best way to offer up a rental home is to advertise it as a fully furnished home to potential tenants. This would be more attractive to tenants than a non-furnished home right? In order to do that, I need to go save up enough money to pay for expensive furniture to fill my place from nothing. The kind of money that could have paid for my trip...

f**k ME GUYS! Am I cursed?? I mean seriously, what the ever living monkey f***s!

Your not the only one.

America has some like of force where it tries to keep the better people from getting ahead or escaping. But at this point, I don't care if I go bankrupt. Once I buy my laptop, my vacation is still happening. Don't care if I need to charge $3,000 on credit cards to enjoy myself abroad. When I come back, either my credit card gets paid or my auto loan. Might just say f**k the auto loan because my parents forced me into it. Let them repossess it. I might not be able to buy a car again but don't f***ing care. I shouldn't have gotten it anyway. I'd have more money if my parents didn't force me to get it. And after draining $6,xxx.xx in down-payment, auto loan payments, insurance payments, sales tax built into the loan, a warranty because of all the electronics in the car aren't covered by any warranty or insurance, gasoline, and soon government taxes on car ownership kick in sending that even higher...that soon to be $7,000 could have done a lot for me instead of going straight into the pockets of a car dealership, bank, oil companies, and the government. My parents always screw things up. Now comes my laptop for $2,xxx.xx to buy a new gaming laptop.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Time to f**k your company over. Tell them that you will move. Then immediately start looking for another job where you live. Take another job even if the pay is slighter lower. You cannot rent out your house from a distance unless you hire a property manager which will cost you. It's not worth it.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

No, no, no. You don't want to furnish the house unless you're looking for short-term tenants, which presumably you aren't. Any realtor/property manager will tell you that you cut your potential renter pool down significantly by furnishing the house. People want their own furniture. Try to find an honest and competent rental agent/property manager -- you'd be surprised how many are neither. They usually charge ten percent of the rent. When you're figuring up your ROI, don't forget adding in taxes, repairs, etc.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

I wonder if his parents live in the same city, they could help him with that and get a cut. It would be a win win.

Heck this could be a good excuse to start your traveling, guyver. Assuming you could rent for 1k+, it could still cover your mortgage and maintenance and have a little left to help pay the flat or groceries in Poland
What are your actual numbers? roughly?

Or tell your company you can't really move. If you're really an asset they won't let you quit.
Remember moving to another state always costs a few grand, so not worth it, better stay and look for something else.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Anyways, here it is. For the past 9 years, I have been busting my ASS to get to a point in my life when I can finally start traveling overseas after I found out how different women and people are in general in other countries. Last year, I finally acquired a couple weeks of leave vacation time from my job, and I was going to plan a trip to either Poland or Finland.

Right...

Of course, last year I bought my first house which was my goal for 2016 (better to pay towards equity instead of putting the money in some else's pocket all my life), and then travel at the end of the year.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?

If you want to leave America - WHY BUY A HOUSE IN AMERICA?
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Sorry for getting off-topic, but why Finland?
Guyver
Freshman Poster

Post by Guyver »

Tsar wrote:
Guyver wrote:Okay, so usually I am just a lurker here, and I rarely post anything. I think the last time I posted something was about 3 or maybe 4 years ago. I can't remember...

Your not the only one.

America has some like of force where it tries to keep the better people from getting ahead or escaping. But at this point, I don't care if I go bankrupt. Once I buy my laptop, my vacation is still happening. Don't care if I need to charge $3,000 on credit cards to enjoy myself abroad. When I come back, either my credit card gets paid or my auto loan. Might just say f**k the auto loan because my parents forced me into it. Let them repossess it. I might not be able to buy a car again but don't f***ing care. I shouldn't have gotten it anyway. I'd have more money if my parents didn't force me to get it. And after draining $6,xxx.xx in down-payment, auto loan payments, insurance payments, sales tax built into the loan, a warranty because of all the electronics in the car aren't covered by any warranty or insurance, gasoline, and soon government taxes on car ownership kick in sending that even higher...that soon to be $7,000 could have done a lot for me instead of going straight into the pockets of a car dealership, bank, oil companies, and the government. My parents always screw things up. Now comes my laptop for $2,xxx.xx to buy a new gaming laptop.
That's one effed up situation you got there, Tsar. If I were you, I would be doing everything in my power to get some cheap studio apartment somewhere if you are still living under the dictatorship of your parents. Believe me, I've been there, so I can relate.

On a side note, if you're into PC gaming, send me a PM and I'll share my steam account name :). Maybe, I can offer up some helpful info for you to come to a logical solution on your situation.

Knowledge is gained in bad experiences, but confidence is only gained through positive experiences.
Guyver
Freshman Poster

Post by Guyver »

fschmidt wrote:Time to f**k your company over. Tell them that you will move. Then immediately start looking for another job where you live. Take another job even if the pay is slighter lower. You cannot rent out your house from a distance unless you hire a property manager which will cost you. It's not worth it.
Already told them that in order to buy some time. I have all year now to look for a new gig, so I'm not worried about a thing.

I'm not sure why I would need any property manager when I can manage it myself remotely. Is there some legal issue with that? Hire an attorney to write up a good leasing contract on the tenants, pay some landscaper to show up once a month to mow the lawn, any issue comes up with the tenants, then they can call me and I'll deal with it directly. How hard could it be? :)

If it comes down to it, and trying to manage the property myself becomes too much of a pain in the ass from another state, then I'll sell the house as an absolute last resort.

Guyver
Freshman Poster

Post by Guyver »

gsjackson wrote:No, no, no. You don't want to furnish the house unless you're looking for short-term tenants, which presumably you aren't. Any realtor/property manager will tell you that you cut your potential renter pool down significantly by furnishing the house. People want their own furniture. Try to find an honest and competent rental agent/property manager -- you'd be surprised how many are neither. They usually charge ten percent of the rent. When you're figuring up your ROI, don't forget adding in taxes, repairs, etc.
Okay, that's the first time I heard that one. Can you provide more info on why a furnished home wouldn't do as well? A link to some forum that talks about it maybe?

As far as the ROI, the only real cost on me would be the taxes and lawn work. My home is 2016 brand new built, so no maintenance costs here.

Guyver
Freshman Poster

Post by Guyver »

droid wrote:I wonder if his parents live in the same city, they could help him with that and get a cut. It would be a win win.

Heck this could be a good excuse to start your traveling, guyver. Assuming you could rent for 1k+, it could still cover your mortgage and maintenance and have a little left to help pay the flat or groceries in Poland
What are your actual numbers? roughly?

Or tell your company you can't really move. If you're really an asset they won't let you quit.
Remember moving to another state always costs a few grand, so not worth it, better stay and look for something else.
Actually, now that you mention it, droid, I do have family that lives a couple of hours away from me. That is an idea worth exploring.

Send me a PM, and I'll share my actual numbers.

My company is moving us as a team to the client location. It's not just me. I totally agree with you which is why I'm looking for a new job.

jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

fschmidt wrote:Time to f**k your company over. Tell them that you will move. Then immediately start looking for another job where you live. Take another job even if the pay is slighter lower. You cannot rent out your house from a distance unless you hire a property manager which will cost you. It's not worth it.
I agree, start looking for another job right now, then you can tell your current employer to go 'pound sand.' Even if you find another job that pays a little less than your current job, take it.

As far as being an 'absente landlord' you don't want to do it. The hassle of being a land lord is not worth it, especially if you live out of state. Just keep your house that you JUST BOUGHT and find another job. Before you start your new job, travel to at least one foreign country.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Guyver
Freshman Poster

Post by Guyver »

yick wrote:Anyways, here it is. For the past 9 years, I have been busting my ASS to get to a point in my life when I can finally start traveling overseas after I found out how different women and people are in general in other countries. Last year, I finally acquired a couple weeks of leave vacation time from my job, and I was going to plan a trip to either Poland or Finland.

Right...

Of course, last year I bought my first house which was my goal for 2016 (better to pay towards equity instead of putting the money in some else's pocket all my life), and then travel at the end of the year.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?

If you want to leave America - WHY BUY A HOUSE IN AMERICA?
LOL :D , some how I knew this question would come up. Buying the house for me was a logical move, yick. Believe me, I thought long and hard on it. My long term goal is and always will be to expat. However, as long as I am stuck in America, I have to play the game for as long as I need to right? Below are a list of pros and cons to owning your own property which I came up with. I did the math, and the logical choice was to buy the house.

Pro's

1. My place my rules - any and all decisions concerning this property goes through me.
2. Equity vs renting - every mortgage payment I make goes towards equity which I own instead of making a rental payment which I get nothing in return.
3. Value - homes tend to increase in value over time which allows me to have a nest egg in the future.
4. Privacy - no more dealing with obnoxious apartment neighbors or room mates.
5. Costs - my place is brand new 2016 built suburban style which makes it highly energy efficient. Because it is a new home, I don't have any maintenance costs (plumbing, electrical, water heater, HVAC system, etc.) and it is still under warranty until July this year. I never have to worry about the mortgage rate changing on me. It's a fixed rate.
6. Easy to sell - because of it's suburban style, neighborhood and location, families would make offers on it within a few weeks. My whole neighborhood is still under construction, and I am watching how fast these places go after the builders finish construction.
7. Tax deduction - the mortgage and property tax is something I can claim when it's tax season time.
8. Location - I live outside the city, so if some economic emergency happens in this country(national dept problem), I want to be a safe distance from the chaos that would follow in every major city. Plus, it is peaceful and quiet out here which is the way I like it.

Con's

1. Long term financial commitment - until I sell the place and expat, I'm stuck with the place. For me it's no big deal.
2. Roots - I'm tied into the community here, but only for now.
3. Maintenance - This probably won't become an issue for a good 5-10 years from now since the place is newly built.

Guyver
Freshman Poster

Post by Guyver »

Hero wrote:Sorry for getting off-topic, but why Finland?
There is a member on this forum (can't remember his name) who lives there with his wife, and he reports there is no problem with the women there. It's also the country of origin where one of my favorite metal bands are from :D . U.S. citizens get a 90 day free visa as well. Because of this, I figure it's a country worth exploring.
Last edited by Guyver on January 8th, 2017, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guyver
Freshman Poster

Post by Guyver »

jamesbond wrote:
I agree, start looking for another job right now, then you can tell your current employer to go 'pound sand.' Even if you find another job that pays a little less than your current job, take it.

As far as being an 'absente landlord' you don't want to do it. The hassle of being a land lord is not worth it, especially if you live out of state. Just keep your house that you JUST BOUGHT and find another job. Before you start your new job, travel to at least one foreign country.
Hopefully, I find a new job so it won't come down to that. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I'm considering all my options here. I have no issue taking a job that pays a little less too if it comes down to it.

Yeah, jamesbond, I agree. I'm going to try my damnedest to get my ass overseas this year.

Return to “Rants and Raves”