Sadly, poor people are not nicer than rich people.

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Sadly, poor people are not nicer than rich people.

Post by Temprano26 »

And no, rich people aren't nice either but nobody owns a monopoly on human decency.

I traveled to Latin America last year - Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama. So I was in Montezuma, connected with two other travelers to go across the border into Nicaragua where immediately there were guys wearing camo uniforms armed with assault rifles, as opposed to Costa Rica that doesn't even have an army. I stayed at this place called Surfing Donkey hostel in San Juan Del Sur. One morning I woke up to find eight people including me had been robbed in the middle of the night. They stole my credit card so I had to find a Western Union to withdraw cash from that point on. I asked the girl at the front desk, she shrugged "they left at 5 AM. Its not our fault." There were cameras right above the lockers with a screen displaying security footage but still the lockers were raided. How did this happen? Because it was an inside job. I spoke to another volunteer that worked there, he shrugged "It is Central America, dude. Rising levels of poverty, sometimes people steal. Just chill and have a drink". Or another justification: "they are just trying to survive so they don't feel bad". You don't have to steal people's credit cards to survive! If they had raided the fridge, okay, I would have gotten past that but it is infuriating that people think it is okay to pilfer through your clothes in the middle of the night. f**k that!

So this rant is just denouncing liberal guilt because making people feel guilty for having more is not the same as having compassion for those who have less. Don't give me this crap about compassion. I am a massage therapist; my whole job is about having compassion and before that point I had no shortage of compassion for the less fortunate. A lady had a story about a spinal disability that kept her from working and instead of following my logic - that she is asking for handouts - I gave her $20 to eat for the day. She comes up to me ten minutes later asking for more money. Or a kid with a cigarette in his hand asks me to buy him a sandwich but I still listened to my soft heart and bought him food because I want this world to be a less cruel place. So I have reached the end of my patience with social justice warriors that tell me I am judgmental because I am angry at people that pilfered through my clothes or stuck a knife to me. This isn't about liberal or conservative or socioeconomic status, this is about being a decent human being and San Juan Del Sur is not a decent place because it is a tourist trap where everybody has a tale of getting robbed there, even people who work at the hostels. It should be bombed into oblivion. This is not something easily brushed off as shit happens; this is my personal safety being violated by low-lives that want everybody to have compassion for their sorry lives but have no compassion for anyone else. My right to exist is more important than your bullshit social justice. Nicaragua poisoned my whole trip and these days I tell myself that I am not responsible for the poverty of this world. I am not obligated to give money to some bum at the gas station who gives everyone the same fabricated sob story. The sad truth is that people see compassion as a weakness to be exploited and I am through letting people exploit me. They have pushed me so far to the brink that I am about to start throwing paint cans at homeless people. Well, not really. Instead, I refuse to donate another cent to charity because it is no longer me giving to them as it is them taking from me. This is not a world of kind, giving people; it is a world of takers. My goodwill is much better spent helping an animal find a good home because animals are just better people in general. I love to uplift people but they don't want to uplift themselves and that is not my problem. I didn't cause anybody misery and suffering and they don't have a right to cause me misery and suffering. Let them all go to hell.

The good news is Panama is far better and it helped me to recover from that episode. Even better news is that I stayed in 20 hostels in three countries and that is the only time that ever happened because most places are not run by the scum of humanity that lets thieves into their hostels to steal from everybody.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Sadly, poor people are not nicer than rich people.

Post by droid »

I remember you said you were planning to travel, but like some other members, didin't come here to find advice first it seems. Why would you go to nicaragua/honduras/salvador? Not to be harsh but some of them are pretty sub-humanish, that's widely known. Be glad you weren't stabbed or shot by some gang member. Or, at least should've gone with the right expectations.

Tip: you never let go of your wallet or bag with your passport or credit cards out of your sight, not even to take a leak.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

I want to read this, but I can't hack my way through that jungle of text. Paragraphs!
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

droid wrote:Tip: you never let go of your wallet or bag with your passport or credit cards out of your sight, not even to take a leak.
True, and this advice is merely common sense.
Passport/Creditcard should be just with you all the time and not in a locker.

Let me add my personal experience so far despite I was never travelling in Latin America. Some Asian/African countries are however nothing better.

I always tried to save up before my departure and to spend more money for my hotel accomodation. I never stayed in a hostel sharing a room. I was lucky, I always was able to pay for a single room, with only my person inside. That's better and safer.

Before going to bed in some strange places in Romania, Turkey, Philippines or India etc. some pieces of furniture - table, chairs etc. and my suitcase were placed in front of the door and I had always a rubber shim with me, which I fixed under the door to block its opening as I mistrust keys/locks and even chains.

Passport, some other documents, credit cards and money were always with me in my bed.
I never had a problem during night in a hotel while sleeping.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

How do you define "nice"? That's a broad term. Poor people are on survival mode. They can't afford the same morals as middle class people, such as "not stealing or taking advantage of others" etc. But poor people are definitely MORE OPEN and APPROACHABLE and willing to talk to strangers than richer people are. That's for sure. Poor people need others, they need to leech off others and use others and take advantage of anyone they can. So naturally they are open to interacting with strangers to see what they can get out of them. You will see this in many foreign countries too. It doesn't mean they are bad people, just on survival mode.

So naturally a poor girl will meet you and go out with you and get free dinners from you in the hopes that she will get more stuff from you as time goes on. So they are definitely more SOCIAL and easy to meet or pick up than middle class girls are. That was our point all along. Also, poor people are more dependent on others and each other, so they can't afford to be individualistic or independent.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

Winston wrote:How do you define "nice"? That's a broad term. Poor people are on survival mode. They can't afford the same morals as middle class people, such as "not stealing or taking advantage of others" etc. But poor people are definitely MORE OPEN and APPROACHABLE and willing to talk to strangers than richer people are. That's for sure. Poor people need others, they need to leech off others and use others and take advantage of anyone they can. So naturally they are open to interacting with strangers to see what they can get out of them. You will see this in many foreign countries too. It doesn't mean they are bad people, just on survival mode.

So naturally a poor girl will meet you and go out with you and get free dinners from you in the hopes that she will get more stuff from you as time goes on. So they are definitely more SOCIAL and easy to meet or pick up than middle class girls are. That was our point all along. Also, poor people are more dependent on others and each other, so they can't afford to be individualistic or independent.
NEWSFLASH WINSTON!
:twisted: ALL WOMAN ARE LIKE THAT! Poor girls are just a little cheaper and a little more appreciative!
GO POOR OR GO HOME! f**k YEAH!
You say "So naturally a poor girl will meet you and go out with you and get free dinners from you in the hopes that she will get more stuff from you as time goes on."
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Post by Temprano26 »

Basically, when I first got to Costa Rica I was on guard about keeping my stuff in a bag. That was in the first month in March. I got to Nicaragua in May, at which point I had gotten too damn comfortable. I asked every traveler if it was dangerous and they all said "it is safe if you don't go looking for trouble". I believed hostels were safe because going from one hostel to another everyone was respectful of everyone else until that one where they let locals come in and steal from everyone.

Travelers are mostly respectful of other people; not locals.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Post by Temprano26 »

And yes, Winston, I did meet and have sex with a 47-year-old Latina woman in the Costa Rica countryside (I was 29). Amazing lover she is but also super jealous, not even wanting another woman to look at me. Sadly, I became less trusting over time towards her and towards everyone else. Latin America has a dark side that people don't see when they are there for two week vacations but it becomes more obvious when you are there for a few months as I have done twice now.
chomommablack
Freshman Poster

Post by chomommablack »

When I was working in Costa Rica they constantly warned me not to go to Nicaragua. Had a GF when I was younger from Guatemala who said her family had to flee to U.S. (they got asylum) because they were doing well in business and kept getting robbed and targeted for kidnapping. Central America you basically have to stay in 5 star hotels otherwise you will be robbed. They don't like kidnapping Americans because of what happened to El Chapo and the history of the U.S. government finding excuses to intervene in local affairs. But they will rob the living daylights out of you. One girl had her macbook taken a Nicaraguan dude on a scooter timed it perfectly and stole her backpack as she was about to walk up the steps of her host family's house. Basically if you go to Central America it's like visiting the ghetto in the U.S. practice common sense and stay out of certain areas only go with reputable (and unfortunately more expensive) tour guide options until you learn the lay of the land and who's who.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Post by Temprano26 »

In Tamarindo, Costa Rica there was a Pura Vida hostel where everyone was respectful of people so not necessarily five star hotels but places where management is not in on robbing tourists. I say again that I was in three countries - Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama and only in San Juan did that happen out of 20 hostels.
Krakenguard
Freshman Poster

Post by Krakenguard »

Considering the fact that extremely rich people tend to be sociopaths who view everyone else the same way we view ants, I would say that extremely poor people are much nicer overall. Yes, some will steal from you, but that merely shows that no human is an angel IMO. Extremely rich people have far more Dark Triad traits.

Also, there is a subtle resentment against the Anglosphere in Latin America because America and its Anglo allies have been oppressing the people there and fomenting coups for "regime change" when they want to get rid of Latin American leaders that they do not like. The current propaganda being put out in the American corporate media against Venezuela is a good current example.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Post by Temprano26 »

Yes, it sucks. We have to be resented for the crap our government does. There are millions of people that run our government. It is not like they speak for the rest of us individuals.
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

I can't speak much for Latin America and what happened to you.

One thing I think, regarding my experiences with rich and poor in USA, and Asia. Taiwan I found a lot easier in general to deal with people partially due to there not being a vast income disparity between you and them. When you're richer than the other person by a big amount, it leads to a power dynamic of sorts between you and them a lot of times, where one or both parties feel taken advantage of or wants to take advantage of the other. In working, it leads to the rich person thinking "well at least I'm giving them work!" etc, and other times the poor person thinking "I can charge ____ or scam them because they're rich and can afford it." So in relationships, relationships are most harmonious when both people are somewhat equivalent in wealth/poverty. It's also the fact you see two different worlds being rich and poor.

In my experience with friendships, and in business as well, working for rich and poor clients, and "middle class" clients, and being in their houses, seeing their lives, etc, is rich people, especially people very concerned with presenting themselves as rich, are in general a lot more judgmental than poor people. They place a lot more emphasis on their presentation of success, their image, etc. Not always, obviously. And they judge you a lot for not being "successful" too, especially if you are intelligent. The judgmental qualities of many rich people I met are very annoying to me, and I felt a lot more socially anxious and being judged eating dinner with a rich family I was working for of the same race as me (white) speaking the same language, the perfect WASP family, than I did at a party with my Mexican neighbor and 20-30 other people, as it's not a judgment contest of dick measuring by how successful everyone was and how perfect everything has to be. Stuff just is. Who cares if the table is scratched, or the food doesn't look perfect, or there's not fine wine.

Poor people have the problem more or less, of not having their shit together, and being impulsive, though. Impulsiveness is what causes situations like your robberies, etc. Partially this not having their shit together and impulsiveness is what keeps them poor, and it leads to bigger cycles of problems that are sort of impossible to escape from past a certain point. And then with people, it leads to breaking friendships and "drama" over them trying to take advantage of others, etc, as they don't have the forward planning to think of how their relationship might be affected if they do a certain action.
mattyman
Junior Poster

Post by mattyman »

RE OP
I see that you're very pissed-off about what has happened and I can see that this might give you grounds to believe that all poor people are horrible and have no moral compass. It's just an unfortunate event that the member of staff blames on poverty, probably because he didn't know what else to say, just anything to fobb responsibility off the hostel and staff.

On another note
I thought poor people have a greater tendency to be humble. Aren't some of the world greatest cuisines and folk music from creeds who are hard done by?
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

I think, this depends on the individual, for example let's see about children and young people who have no choice, they live in the slums in the cities in the Philippines often under horrible conditions.

All local social workers will tell you about the same - first of all, all these impoverished youth, you cannot take care of them all, as they are too many.
You have to consider them in 2 groups - one are the 'bright' ones, and the others are the 'dumb' ones.

The dumb ones have no future, except living in the street as beggars, being homeless, and sometimes into drugs and jail in/jail out.
They don't want to learn anything, will cheat and steal - hopeless...

The bright ones, they really want to change their life, they will turn out - if they find a chance to study or a good job - as honest and useful people.

To be poor does not automatically mean 'not to be nice' - some are, some are not. You need however a little time to be together with them to find out who is 'bright' and who is 'dumb'.