Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme

Seattle Freeze - Can America get any more antisocial?

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Eric
Experienced Poster

Re: Seattle Freeze - Can America get any more antisocial?

Post by Eric » May 6th, 2017, 9:24 am

I've tried and tried to adapt here - but I'm never happy. I might be autistic or something...I'm willing to admit that. I just appreciate and find other cultures more 'real' and less paranoid and alienating.
I often feel like an alien here.
I definitely haven't dated in years, and I'm sure this has something to do with it. Even my friendships suffer here. There just seems to be nothing under skin deep, here.

I just get tired of acting when going out. I wished the "scene"was different. A bit less narcissistic and paranoid ...and honestly not everything based on "attraction" of men and women to the insane degree. We should have some civility...Nothing wrong, but that eems like there's all there is.
I've found just get it out of your head that you want anything different - you will just make yourself miserable while here. Just try to 'nod to the culture' and get what you can out of it while you are here. Take the good with the bad, and try to glean some depth out of it also...that's the hard part.
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.

Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!

Mercury
Freshman Poster

Re:

Post by Mercury » June 12th, 2017, 7:35 am

jamesbond wrote:
lavezzi wrote:When I went to New York, by purchasing a 5 day subway ticket I discovered a new hobby. Going to the subway station, getting on a train, sitting right next to someone, turning to them and starting up a conversation. They were horrified to show any signs of being human in such a place. I even joked about it with a police officer how it's funny because I'm not breaking any laws, yet it upsets them as if I had killed their dearest family member.

Another thing I noticed was how an offering of a handshake is reacted to like the commanding of a prison sentence.
How true! In America your not supposed to talk to strangers. Your supposed to mind your own business when you are out in public. The only way to meet people is either through your friends or bars, nightclubs and parties.

The opposite is true in a lot of countries where it's ok to talk to strangers while you are out in public places like buses, trains, bookstores and grocery stores. In the US, we are a nation of strangers, a lot of people don't even know who their neighbors are! :shock:
What's more scary is when American police literally even act like talking to strangers is a capital felony under Federal law, FBI and Homeland Security enforced, and punishable by even 300 years to life in Federal prison or even up to 100 consecutive life sentences in prison without parole and/or the death penalty for all involved. As if even interacting with strangers at your local bar/tavern would result in about a hundred FBI squad cars swarming the place and a bunch of FBI and Homeland Security officers armed with MP-5s and sniper rifles rushing in, knocking you to the floor, threatening you with use of deadly force, and then hauling you off to Federal lockup.

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Re:

Post by Cornfed » June 12th, 2017, 7:53 am

Mercury wrote:What's more scary is when American police literally even act like talking to strangers is a capital felony under Federal law, FBI and Homeland Security enforced, and punishable by even 300 years to life in Federal prison or even up to 100 consecutive life sentences in prison without parole and/or the death penalty for all involved. As if even interacting with strangers at your local bar/tavern would result in about a hundred FBI squad cars swarming the place and a bunch of FBI and Homeland Security officers armed with MP-5s and sniper rifles rushing in, knocking you to the floor, threatening you with use of deadly force, and then hauling you off to Federal lockup.
I don't know why you insist of exaggerating things to the nth degree. Reality is bad enough.

traveller
Freshman Poster

Re:

Post by traveller » June 13th, 2017, 5:28 am

jamesbond wrote:
Yes, the cliquishness of Americans is appalling! Facebook and myspace actually keeps people from interacting with one another face to face. Some people would prefer to just communicate via the internet rather than face to face!
Actually, I see Facebook as a tool to help people keep in touch. Phone numbers change all the time, phones get disconnected, people are too busy to give their new number to their friends, when people especially move to another state or another country, it gets expensive to keep in contact, especially when you have to dial the "011" code followed by about 15 different digits, and International calls can cost up to $15 to $25 for just a few minutes. Even emails get changed or discontinued.

That is where Facebook comes in. Regardless of what state or country one relocates to, his/her Facebook info remains the same. Also, the Facebook Private Messenger is built directly into the website, making it very easy to exchange numbers with old friends you have not seen in years.

Facebook is the #1 way to keep in touch with people. The only other alternative is to cut everyone out of your life who moves to another state or country and close the door on them for good.

Nailer
Freshman Poster

Post by Nailer » June 22nd, 2017, 7:19 am

Eric wrote:I've tried and tried to adapt here - but I'm never happy. I might be autistic or something...I'm willing to admit that. I just appreciate and find other cultures more 'real' and less paranoid and alienating.
I often feel like an alien here.
I definitely haven't dated in years, and I'm sure this has something to do with it. Even my friendships suffer here. There just seems to be nothing under skin deep, here.

I just get tired of acting when going out. I wished the "scene"was different. A bit less narcissistic and paranoid ...and honestly not everything based on "attraction" of men and women to the insane degree. We should have some civility...Nothing wrong, but that eems like there's all there is.
I've found just get it out of your head that you want anything different - you will just make yourself miserable while here. Just try to 'nod to the culture' and get what you can out of it while you are here. Take the good with the bad, and try to glean some depth out of it also...that's the hard part.
I remember I was stranded in north Seattle (I forget what the neighborhood is called) after the busses stopped running and a middle-aged woman offered to give me a ride back to Ballard. Grateful, I paid for her drink. There was zero sexual intent there (believe me). Then she started saying that maybe I was a serial killer and I was dangerous to her.

I took a cab.

Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama » June 22nd, 2017, 10:04 pm

I was in Europe one time at a hospital, and I was in the waiting room asking for help from the desk person. One woman overheard that I needed directions to go to the other hospital nearby. It was only about two blocks away, as it turns out, but I had never been there and didn't know. So this woman who overheard offered me a ride and dropped me off right in front of the other hospital.

I have been to a place here in the states where a woman and I were taking the same class, and we were talking together. She then hopped in her car and left me to walk the way to class. She never offered a ride.

Now I realize that these American women are simply too exalted for me. They are too far above me. I simply cannot reach that high.