Denmark ranked the happiest country in the world

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

yellowroses wrote:I went to Denmark for a few weeks this past summer for a study abroad thing and I have to say that it is an amazing country. People are very trusting there. People leave their bicycles unlocked on streets and it was not uncommon to see a baby in a stroller outside of a store while the parents were inside. I started up a conversation with a Dane about the rankings and he said that they have a lot to be grateful for, but like other countries they too have problems.

It is interesting to note that if someone bumps into you accidentally they won't apologize. The reason is because they assume that you knew it wasn't intentional and they don't want to waste your time to apologize.

A big aspect of their culture is the concept of "hygge" (which has no direct translation in English). Hygge is basically the feeling you get when you're spending time with your friends and family and you're having a good time and enjoying each others company.

Denmark is one of the countries that I would love to move to in the future. The culture and atmosphere there is incredible.
I was staying in a Danish hostel in BKK, Thailand, and the owner, Danish of course, didn't even know me from Adam, and I told him that I would pay him a month belatedly, and he obliged. So when i had paid him a month later in exactly what I HAVE owed, he was so ecstatic and he had gone out and purchased new PC audio speakers for all three computers he had in the lobby of the hostel that day I had paid him.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
HungJoe
Freshman Poster

Post by HungJoe »

Finland ranked #2, and I think it has a lot to do with nature... Lakes, fresh air, wilderness and reasonable standard of living for everyone.

Of course "happiness" is a subjective matter. But it makes sense that Norhern European wellfare states rank high. Even people with the most modest means can achieve "happiness" in these countries, because their most basic needs are covered by state.
loveblondes
Freshman Poster

Re: Denmark ranked the happiest country in the world

Post by loveblondes »

jamesbond wrote:According to polls taken from 2005 to 2011, these were the happiest countries:

1.Denmark
2.Finland
3.Norway
4.Netherlands
5.Canada
6.Switzerland
7.Sweden
8.New Zealand
9.Australia
10.Ireland

The United States ranks 11th.

Here is the complete article: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_n ... nmark.html
Those cannot be serious.
"you lose money chasing women but you never lose women chasing money"
Robert77
Freshman Poster

Post by Robert77 »

that list is ridiculous..... I lived in switzerland for two years and they were the LONGEST YEARS OF MY LIFE....

plenty of mountains, clean air, money but SO DAMN BORING!!!!!

After 7pm everything closes down and u go home and try to make the night go as fast as possible!!!!!

the lack of cultural activities, nightlife in most of switzerland is crazy

YES IT'S PRETTY AND RICH BUT BORING

and denmark? hahahaha its even more boring

canada is a dump.... u couldn't pay me to get me to live in a frozen wasteland that looks like a downgraded imitation of the US

the happiest countrires I've been to have been mexico, spain, colombia, thailand
World traveler, questions about women from a certain country? Ask!!! I can help
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

I've read that it's because Danish society is much more egalitarian. There is not a huge gap between rich and poor. Unlike America, CEOs do not make 380 times the average worker. Tax dollars are actually used to benefit citizens of the country rather than to build up a huge military and fight wars overseas. Health care and university are free.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Whenever I've talked to people from Denmark, they’ve complained about all the scumbaggy immigrants.
Greek kamaki
Freshman Poster

Re: Denmark ranked the happiest country in the world

Post by Greek kamaki »

It depends.If you are a biker,a dog,a disabled,a feminist or an animal bordel connoiseur you will find your joy in Denmark.If you are a f***er,a drinker and generally Bohemian peniseur with un PC tendencies you will face problems in Denmark.Egalitarian society is not for everyone.