The 5 things you'll love & hate about Germany

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

The 5 things you'll love & hate about Germany

Post by jamesbond »

Here is a man who has traveled throughout the world giving us his take on Germany. He goes over the 5 things you'll love and the 5 things you'll hate about Germany.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF_RJLGj ... re=g-all-c[/youtube]
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Here's my list;

Pros:
1) Industrial modern country with low unemployment and a high GDP. Low prices compared to most of Europe.
2) Great public transportation.
3) Hospitable people, especially in the south. Still a man's world although slightly feminist but women still know they're roll in society.
4) Fantastic scenery, mountains, trees lakes etc.
5) Great food all around, fantastic beers some of the best in the world.

Cons:
1) Crappy weather for 8 months out of the year.
2) Germans can come off cold and angry at first, so harder to approach both men and women.
3) Germany has the burden of supporting the entire eurozone.
4) German women have gotten fatter over the years but still better than the USA.
5) Most of the country still speaks mostly German. Fluency in English is not as great Holland.
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by OzGuy »

Great video jamesbond. I am moving to Switzerland next month and its quite similar to Germany. They say Switzerland is like Germany but just more emphasised on some things, especially being organised, clean, and punctual. But these are things I appreciate, especially after living in Australia!

Some other differences between Switzerland and Germany:

The public transport in Switzerland is even BETTER than Germany! If you think its good in Germany, wait until you visit Switzerland.

The scenery in Switzerland is also a lot better. So many beautiful alps, lakes, snow, forests etc. In fact probably the best in the world.

Crime is also lower in Switzerland and nearly non-existent. This is because they like to follow the rules and are law abiding citizens.

Fewer drunks around the place. In Switzerland they prefer wine over beer, and only drink in moderation like with a meal. The swiss hate drunk and disorderly behaviour.

People are more introverted and quiet in Switzerland. They really value their peace and quiet. As an introvert I love this.

The swiss are perfectionists and always prefer quality over price. Everything they make is of the highest quality in the world. They pride themselves over quality. In Germany someone will usually ask "how much does it cost?" in Switzerland they will ask "What is the quality like?" The swiss don't care about the cost, they just want the highest quality product.

Possibly less feminism than Germany? But it depends which area of Switzerland. In the Canton (state) Appenzell they are still very old fashioned with traditional male/female roles. In fact, women weren't allowed to vote there until 1991! The men actually tried to stop women voting for as long as they could, but in 1991 the Swiss government overturned their objection, and allowed women to vote, lol. In Appenzell, men still have most of the power.
Last edited by OzGuy on July 14th, 2012, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 20th, 2013, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by OzGuy »

eurobrat wrote:You forgot to mention the arm and leg Switzerland costs.
haha yes very true! Germany is cheap compared to Switzerland! But I guess quality comes at a cost...

Most of the swiss go over the border to Germany for cheaper shopping!

But Zurich is rated as the most livable city in the world, so I guess you pay for such a great lifestyle.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 20th, 2013, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by OzGuy »

You also forgot to mention one of the best things of all about Germany:

So many single attractive women. Men aren't aggressive in approaching women like in Anglo countries, so women aren't as picky either. I've heard that if you ask out a hot German woman, chances are she will say yes (after being in shock). Women are actually shocked to be approached by men in Germany! This is why you always hear of Anglo women complaining about German men, because they never get the attention they used to get in the US.
Last edited by OzGuy on July 14th, 2012, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by OzGuy »

eurobrat wrote:
OzGuy wrote:
eurobrat wrote:You forgot to mention the arm and leg Switzerland costs.
haha yes very true! Germany is cheap compared to Switzerland! But I guess quality comes at a cost...

Most of the swiss go over the border to Germany for cheaper shopping!

But Zurich is rated as the most livable city in the world, so I guess you pay for such a great lifestyle.
They do make a lot of money there. I met a 3rd grade school teacher who made 70k a year. Unbelievable!
Yep, they are paid more and also have lower taxes, so it balances out really. As long as you are working there and earning their currency, then its probably about the same price as living in Germany. Switzerland is very expensive for tourists, but affordable for locals. I will be trying to get a job in ANYTHING as soon as I move there, just so I can earn their currency (CHF) and not burn up my AUD savings.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by OzGuy »

eurobrat wrote:I would love to live in Zurich one of my favorite cities in Europe, like you said the quality is through the roof. I stayed at the Zic Zac Hostel and met tons of Swiss Girls, my German is pretty good most of them from really small as they said "villages". Great women, kind, polite easy to get along and drink with.
Any reason why you don't move there? Cost? Hard to get a visa?
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 20th, 2013, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by OzGuy »

eurobrat wrote:I have an Italian passport, jobs are hard to get in Switzerland if your not a Swiss citizen. I can work there with restrictions I just have to find a company that likes me.
Yep, i'm so lucky i'm a swiss citizen. If I wasn't I couldn't move there, as I would have to get a job there first while in Australia, which is nearly impossible. To get a job you pretty much have to live there first, so its a catch 22.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »