Why Europe is better for Intellectuals, Freethinkers & Freespirits than America

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
Winston
Site Admin

Why Europe is better for Intellectuals, Freethinkers & Freespirits than America

Post by Winston »

* Updated: November, 2016 *

Good News: Intellectuals, Freethinkers and Freespirits will be Happier in Europe than in America. Here's why.

Here is something interesting that is not usually pointed out. Freethinkers, intellectuals and deep thinkers tend not to like America, because American culture is predicated on a great deal of fakeness, phoniness, hype, lies and illusion, all of which are pet peeves to deep thinkers, who are able to see through these things. They tend to prefer Europe, where the cultures are more conducive to being intellectual, philosophical and genuine, and the people tend to be more authentic, down-to-earth, open-minded, friendly and social. Europeans also tend to prefer substance, not flash, whereas Americans go for the latter.

So the good news for freethinkers and intellectuals is that they will be a lot happier in Europe than in America. They will feel more at home and validated for who they are, and have a far easier time meeting new people, making friends, having fun and getting dates. Here are the reasons why:

1. People in Europe are more open-minded, more curious and more attracted to novelty. Being naturally curious, they have a wider variety of interests and are more broad-minded. Thus they will be on a more compatible wavelength with a freethinker and vibe better with them. This is true of European females too, who are more open-minded, mature and down-to-earth than their American counterparts. They also try to learn from those who are different than them, such as foreigners. So differences garner curiosity from Europeans, whereas in America, differences are seen as a negative thing and divide people. If you are different from others in America, you are shunned and ostracized, and seen as weird. You won't be met with curiosity or fascination. Thus being different can be more of a positive factor in Europe, rather than a negative one like in the US.

2. Europeans are more apt to having deep conversations about life, philosophy, history and culture. Believe it or not, having deep discussions in pubs is normal and common in Europe, whereas in America it would definitely be abnormal and weird to try to have deep/intellectual discussions in a bar or pub. This is even true of young people and young women as well, which act much more mature and down-to-earth than their American counterparts. In general, having meaningful substantive discussions is the norm and common in European societies. So overall, a freethinker will connect better in Europe and feel more at home.

But in America, people are more superficial and prefer talking about something polite and meaningless, like the weather. Talking about something deep and intellectual with mainstream Americans feels awkward and beyond their scope. After all, Americans tend to prefer flash over substance, whereas Europeans prefer the latter.

In fact, even some of America's founding fathers such as Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson were happier in Europe, because they were intellectual geniuses and felt more intellectual stimulation and connection there than in America, which was lacking in those areas. This is evident from their diaries and journals, which PBS biographical documentaries about their lives have noted. So even in the 1700's, America was not the place for intellectual types. Historically, America's immigrants came only to make money and obtain private land, not for social connection or intellectual stimulation.

3. The social atmosphere is more inclusive, friendly and sociable. People do not live in fear and are not paranoid of strangers. They are more comfortable and relaxed about meeting new people. So they will engage you more easily, even if you're alone. Social interaction is much more smooth and natural. Thus one can go out alone and meet people easily, even in casual public settings such as in a park or cafe. You can't do that in the US though, where if you go out alone, you will stay alone, so if you don't have a pre-existing clique, you are screwed and look like a loser.

4. In Europe, people have richer souls, and are more authentic and down-to-earth. So if you are the same way, you will feel "surrounded by real souls". Thus you not feel alienated or isolated, even if you are sitting alone and drinking coffee at a cafe by yourself. That's the beauty of it. You are surrounded by your own kind, so the depressing empty feeling you get in America isn't there anymore. Since people are more genuine and down-to-earth, you don't have to act fake around them, like you feel compelled to do in America.

5. The cultures in Europe are more interesting, stimulating and attractive. So you feel more stimulated and excited in them. European cultures are "food for your soul". They are full of rich history, art, beauty, music, cuisine, creativity, legends, aesthetic beauty, soul, passion, romance, cathedrals, etc. This is reflected in the architecture too, such as in the Old Towns and historic areas, as we all know. A country's architecture reflects its culture and people, so in this case it speaks volumes.

In contrast, US architecture tends to be bland and soulless, especially in the suburbs and strip malls, and designed for efficiency only, not aesthetics. That's because in the US, you are only supposed to care about working and consumerism, not about having a rich soul. That's why the US feels so empty and depressing for those with rich souls, like me. The cookie cutter buildings in the US indirectly tells you that life in the US is all about conformity, efficiency and obeying every little rule without joy, passion, love or freedom.

6. The vibe and energy in Europe feels more fun, open and freespirited. Thus it energizes you and makes you feel good, especially if you are freespirited and fun loving. It's food for your spirit and feels healthy. Hence it's better for your mental health which affects your physical health as well. And it make you want to go out more too. In contrast, the vibe in America feels uptight, negative, paranoid, antisocial, repressed, and stressful. It tries to suck out your soul and deflate you and bring out the worst in you. It makes you feel reclusive like you don't even want to go out because it's pointless to.

Life in the US makes you feel full of angst, tension and stress, like you're about to lose it. So many people go psycho and crazy in America. Even the World Health Organization reports that America has the highest rate of mental illness in the world, and the highest rate of antidepressant use, as well as the highest rate of psychiatric visits. And many immigrants in the US report feeling lonely and stressful, not free or happy at all. So you see, the vibe and energy of a culture is very important and affects your mental and physical health. And Europe provides a refreshing contrast to the US in this regard.

7. Fun activities and cultural events are more frequent and inclusive in Europe. You will have more fun than you ever had in America. There are always cultural events going on around town, even in a small town. And you can always join in, celebrate and party with others, without feeling awkward around strangers. There is a feeling of inclusiveness in such social activities that you could never dream of in America. Trust me, I've experienced it and can personally attest to this. You will truly be amazed. Also, holiday celebrations tend to be stretched out over several days. Even Mother's Day is celebrated for several days with festivities, performances and events, not just one day like in the US.

Note: The above attributes of Europe apply to Russia too. However, I do not mention Russia because although it is a very fun, exciting and dynamic country, it is also more dangerous, has a higher crime rate with muggings and scams, and is more of a hassle to get into because you have to buy a visa to enter the country. But Russia is a very exciting and soulful culture, so if you don't mind braving the risks, I would say go for it. :)
Last edited by Winston on August 13th, 2014, 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why Freethinkers will be Happier in Europe than in Ameri

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote:Good News:

Freethinkers will be a lot happier in Europe than in America.
Eh?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Jester,
"Eh" is not an appropriate response. If you have nothing to say, then don't say it. Otherwise you are wasting space.

I just put this up as a blog post and added some graphics to it:

http://blog.happierabroad.com/2013/08/w ... urope.html
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

I would agree with this in terms of areas around Germany (Swiss, Dutch, Germans, Belgium, and Luxembourg) and the Nordic . I would take issue with places like France (Cultural Exceptionalism), although they could still be intellectual, Hungary (too nationalistic), and perhaps some of the Balkans .
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

zacb wrote:I would agree with this in terms of areas around Germany (Swiss, Dutch, Germans, Belgium, and Luxembourg) and the Nordic . I would take issue with places like France (Cultural Exceptionalism), although they could still be intellectual, Hungary (too nationalistic), and perhaps some of the Balkans .
Why not Germany itself though? Germans are more down to earth, but some of them can be very arrogant too.

I would say its most definitely true for Holland, Italy, Spain, Greece, Poland and Eastern Europe.

You can tell by European architecture that soulfulness and creativity is much more in their lifeblood, which is why the architecture reflects it.

As you can see below, it is not dull or soulless like in America, which is why I feel happier there (besides the fact that women are far more approachable and sociable).

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote:Jester,
"Eh" is not an appropriate response. If you have nothing to say, then don't say it. Otherwise you are wasting space.

I just put this up as a blog post and added some graphics to it:

http://blog.happierabroad.com/2013/08/w ... urope.html
Sorry, i thought everyone would understand the Armenian phrase.

So let me revise to plain English:
Jester wrote:
Winston wrote:Good News:

Freethinkers will be a lot happier in Europe than in America.
AND??
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is a photo of me in a small town in Poland called Olsztyn. As you can see, even in a small town in Europe, the architecture looks creative and soulful, not empty and bland like in the US. As you can see, I looked a lot happier there and more alive and in my element. Friends who know me in person attest to that when they see me in videos and photos overseas.

Moreover, in such rich artistic environments, the girls are very APPROACHABLE as well (far more than in the US, I swear). As an example, see these photos below of me hitting on and flirting with a Polish girl in Gdansk, Poland. As you can see, her body language is warm, relaxed and cheerful, not uptight or paranoid like a girl would be in the US. Amazing difference isn't it? It's like a completely different matrix with girls that are a different species!

ContraMundumRants
Freshman Poster

Post by ContraMundumRants »

I agree with what you said about architecture.

I am a Spaniard who lived in LA for one year, and I couldn't tolerate it; the weather was
great, the beaches were nice, but the architecture was soul-destroying.

Buildings there are made with economic efficiency in mind with no thought of beauty.

Now that I am back in Europe I feel much better seeing all the churches and monasteries
and castles we have over here.

Even in the US, I felt much better when I lived in Boston because at least there they had some
architecture from colonial times.

Architecture is an expression of a culture's inner life, and I wasn't impressed with what I saw
in America.

But even in Europe we are losing the taste for ancient architecture, and we are adopting
the American ways due to neoliberal Globalism.

Anyhow, if you were so happy in Europe, what's preventing you from coming back Winston?
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Winston wrote:
zacb wrote:I would agree with this in terms of areas around Germany (Swiss, Dutch, Germans, Belgium, and Luxembourg) and the Nordic . I would take issue with places like France (Cultural Exceptionalism), although they could still be intellectual, Hungary (too nationalistic), and perhaps some of the Balkans .
Why not Germany itself though? Germans are more down to earth, but some of them can be very arrogant too.

I would say its most definitely true for Holland, Italy, Spain, Greece, Poland and Eastern Europe.

You can tell by European architecture that soulfulness and creativity is much more in their lifeblood, which is why the architecture reflects it.

As you can see below, it is not dull or soulless like in America, which is why I feel happier there (besides the fact that women are far more approachable and sociable).

That included Germany. What I mean is the Germanic region, or with significant influence. So we agree :D .
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

ContraMundumRants wrote:I agree with what you said about architecture.

I am a Spaniard who lived in LA for one year, and I couldn't tolerate it; the weather was
great, the beaches were nice, but the architecture was soul-destroying.

Buildings there are made with economic efficiency in mind with no thought of beauty.

Now that I am back in Europe I feel much better seeing all the churches and monasteries
and castles we have over here.

Even in the US, I felt much better when I lived in Boston because at least there they had some
architecture from colonial times.

Architecture is an expression of a culture's inner life, and I wasn't impressed with what I saw
in America.

But even in Europe we are losing the taste for ancient architecture, and we are adopting
the American ways due to neoliberal Globalism.

Anyhow, if you were so happy in Europe, what's preventing you from coming back Winston?
American architecture was mostly fine until WWII, after which, just like in Europe, hideous modernist architecture had its day. These Bauhaus boxes are a blight on Europe, as well. Look at the dreck outside the old city center in most European cities, even in a place famed for its beauty such as Paris.

Unfortunately, 80 percent or more of the US built environment has gone up since WWII, and its been driven entirely by profiteering developers whose products are cheap and ugly. Europe had to rebuild after WWII, but it made an effort to keep intact the old city centers and the pedestrian culture. The US sacrificed everything to the motor vehicle.

A very interesting book on the subject is called The Geography of Nowhere by James Howard Kunstler.

Pretty soon nothing will keep me from being in Europe mostly full-time, but I've got to find a way to spend winters in Spain. Cold and grey just doesn't do it for me anymore.

And to return to the original topic -- it all depends on whom you meet In Europe. Plenty of dingbats there too, and they're becoming more and more materialistic, like Americans.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I approve of Jester's Eh?, and I'll raise you all a What?
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
ContraMundumRants
Freshman Poster

Post by ContraMundumRants »

gsjackson wrote: Pretty soon nothing will keep me from being in Europe mostly full-time, but I've got to find a way to spend winters in Spain. Cold and grey just doesn't do it for me anymore.

And to return to the original topic -- it all depends on whom you meet In Europe. Plenty of dingbats there too, and they're becoming more and more materialistic, like Americans.
If you want to spend winters in Spain, go to the south (places like Andalucia) or to the southern Mediterranean
coast (places like Valencia). If you are more adventurous, you can explore the Canary or Balearic Islands.
Do NOT come to the North of Spain if you want great winters. The winters here in the North of Spain are
cold, grey, foggy, and absolutely miserable.

As for Americans vs. Europeans, it is true that Europeans are becoming more materialistic, and the same is happening
to the Chinese (some of them). I saw a lot of materialism when I lived in the Middle East, too. It's almost like
a disease of the human mind waiting to come to the surface whenever people begin to prosper in a material
sense.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Some more photos of me in Poland and Lithuania. Don't I look happier and less repressed than I do in the US? lol.

Notice my body language in the bottom right corner photo above. Doesn't it show how much more free and alive I feel? lol

Below is me and Robert talking to a big group of 10 girls sitting together. In America, a group of girls sitting together like that would never be so friendly and sociable toward male strangers! Notice how relaxed they look too.

It's unbelievable how much more approachable girls are overseas. They are like a different species. My friend Steve said that when he sees my photos and videos, that it makes him realize how much he's wasting his time here in the US.

One amazing thing and KEY DIFFERENCE to emphasize is this: In America, flirtation is seen as something NEGATIVE, but in most other countries, it's seen in a more POSITIVE light. Women are flattered to be hit on or flirted with. It creates excitement and energy, whereas in America it makes you look like a creep and pervert. It's a totally different attitude. If only more Americans knew about this. We need to get on the media so we can tell more people such truths that they don't know.

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston, a lot of time has passed since then.

1. Some are saying Europe has changed for the worse and become a lot more corrupted.

2. You've gained weight in the face and a decade of age.

What do u think would happen if u retraced your steps and did the exact same things? Would u be received just as before? Just curious as to what u and others think on this.

Nothing lasts forever, change is the only constant.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote:

BTW nice pics!!

Thanks