Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Cheap Flights to Europe Under $500

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Cheap Flights to Europe Under $500

Postby kai1275 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:15 pm

http://business.time.com/2013/09/06/cheap-flights-to-europe-take-off-flights-under-500-round-trip-fees-included/?hpt=hp_t3

Cheap Flights to Europe Take Off: Flights Under $500 Round Trip, Fees Included
Travelers who recall the ’90s heyday of sub-$300 round trips to Europe (taxes included) haven’t been happy in recent years, when a $1,000 flight began looking like a decent price. Their moods may improve now that one of Europe’s largest low-cost carriers is expanding in a big way, with new routes and inexpensive prices that could upend the transatlantic flight market as a whole.

Earlier this year, Norwegian Air Shuttle launched service connecting New York’s JFK airport to Oslo and Stockholm, and flights from Fort Lauderdale to Oslo, Stockholm, and Copenhagen. This week, the carrier announced service between Europe and three more American cities (Orlando, Oakland, Los Angeles) starting next year. A JFK-Copenhagen route is also on tap starting in February 2014.

Low-cost airlines tend to avoid long-haul flights, preferring to focus on shorter (and generally more lucrative) routes in the regions they know best. But for Norwegian, the transatlantic market was just too juicy to pass up. “We believe that the U.S is low-hanging fruit,â€￾ Norwegian CEO Bjorn Kjos said at a news conference on Tuesday, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. “People love to fly cheap and they love to fly far.â€￾

(MORE: Bad News for Fliers This Fall)

The airline will be using Boeing’s new 787 Dreamliner planes, which Norwegian thinks it can operate at a cost of 30% less than the usual long-haul aircraft. And at least when it first introduces service to its new U.S. cities, Norwegian’s prices will reflect those lower operating costs. Introductory fares from Los Angeles, Orlando, and Oakland to Scandinavia start at just $237 each way, taxes and fees included.

How good a flight price is that? Well, browsing at the website of Scandinavia’s large SAS airline, a round trip flight from Orlando to Oslo comes to a total of $993 during the low season of November. Included in that total is $588 in taxes and fees ($496 for an “international surchargeâ€￾ alone). In other words, Norwegian Air Shuttle is charging less for a total round trip than what the traditional airline flight tacks on just in fees.

While the new routes will appeal most to American travelers interested in seeing Scandinavia (or Scandinavians interested coming to the States), it’s also easy to use Oslo or Stockholm as a jumping-off point to somewhere else in Europe, or even Russia. All that’s required is the booking of another low-cost flight overseas. Likewise, Norwegian has been thinking about partnering with an American carrier so that passengers could book a single ticket that would connect its hubs in Europe with dozens of U.S. cities. “It might be that we will work with low-cost operators like Jet Blue in the U.S.,â€￾ Kjos told Bloomberg in May. “Our passengers could fly to New York with us and continue with Jet Blue to other places in U.S.â€￾

(MORE: Is Your Neighborhood Airport on the Decline? This Map Will Tell You)

As with any low-cost carrier, however, there are downsides to booking with Norwegian Air Shuttle. Unlike the typical airline with transatlantic service, which offers flights at least on a once-daily basis, Norwegian will generally fly each U.S.-Scandinavia route only two or three times weekly. So if you miss a flight, it may be a few days—or perhaps more than a week—until there’s another one that’s departing and actually has space for you. Also, Norwegian keeps fares low by following the Ryanair and Spirit Airlines business model, in which the only amenities beyond a basic seat cost extra. Passengers must pay up for things like checked baggage and food, of course, and there’s even a fee for using a credit card.

Read more: http://business.time.com/2013/09/06/che ... z2e8704iLB

This could be great news for some of you that want to go to Europe anytime soon.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Postby Winston » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:32 pm

Which airline is this for? To which destinations? How do you book? On what website?
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby gsjackson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:07 pm

A couple days ago I priced a Norwegian Air plus local carriers flight from Tucson to Prague. If I went on March 5, it would come to $600 for everything, including one night of a hotel in Copenhagen (flight arrives too late to journey on that night), food and baggage check (which is pretty reasonable -- about $20 per bag max). Leaving later in May, which I'm more likely to do, it would total $700. That's pretty damn good.

I also recently discovered the best price by far I've ever seen for a single occupant on a transatlantic cruise -- $688 for single occupancy, which is no different than the price per person for double occupancy. Usually the single pays almost twice as much. It's 13 days from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton, UK, making three stops in the Bahamas. You could pretty much eat $688 worth of food on those ships in 13 days.
gsjackson
Experienced Poster

Postby xiongmao » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:26 am

If anyone wants to overwinter in Southern Europe my parents keep going on these mega cheap all inclusive trips to various places. Egypt, Turkey, Croatia, in fact anywhere outside the Euro has some real bargains.

You could indeed eat and drink your way through enough stuff to pay for the trip.

Also flights in November are usually good value, nobody goes on holiday in November.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby In2dadark » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:25 am

gsjackson wrote:A couple days ago I priced a Norwegian Air plus local carriers flight from Tucson to Prague. If I went on March 5, it would come to $600 for everything, including one night of a hotel in Copenhagen (flight arrives too late to journey on that night), food and baggage check (which is pretty reasonable -- about $20 per bag max). Leaving later in May, which I'm more likely to do, it would total $700. That's pretty damn good.

I also recently discovered the best price by far I've ever seen for a single occupant on a transatlantic cruise -- $688 for single occupancy, which is no different than the price per person for double occupancy. Usually the single pays almost twice as much. It's 13 days from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton, UK, making three stops in the Bahamas. You could pretty much eat $688 worth of food on those ships in 13 days.

Which cruise line is/was that?
In2dadark
Freshman Poster

Postby Renata » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:32 pm

Here's a list of Low cost airlines for Europe > http://www.happierabroad.com/ladiesforu ... ?f=12&t=98

My sister has an American Chase United Airlines Credit Card. She buys everything with it & it earns her alot of miles. She's even got me flight tickets with just her miles. It's worth looking into. She lives in FL.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
Renata
Experienced Poster

Postby ***JP*** » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:23 am

One airline I can recommend is Condor Flugdienst. It's from Germany and they offer seamless connections with Lufthansa. They do fly to the states but most US cities that they fly to are seasonal. The only non seasonal flights they have are to Las Vegas and San Juan PR. I tried them out on december when I was making my way to Lithuania. Also the service was quite good. One draw back is that the economy seats are cramped but you get what you pay for. Anyways on my ticket from San Juan to Frankfurt I only paid $398.00 taxes already included in the price. Basically there's no excuse for those who want to go abroad cause there is choices and from my experience Frankfurt airport is a great airport to do your flight connections. I consider it better than Heathrow airport in London.

http://www.condor.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condor_Flugdienst_destinations <<< they fly to some countries in Asia too
***JP***
Freshman Poster

Return to European Countries