A few days in Amsterdam

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
mattyman
Junior Poster

A few days in Amsterdam

Post by mattyman »

Just been to Amsterdam for a few days because I got a bit bored, here's my report.

I am very impressed with the cleanliness of the public realm and the notable lack of traffic noise compared with London. In fact, that was part of the reason I went, to study the public realm.

The nicest women I came across were Spanish, and a group of English girls I went drinking with. As for the Dutch women (from what I observed there)? Not impressed in the slightest. To be honest, they all seemed to be incredibly stuck-up and mean-looking, comparable to a rough, chavvy town in the UK. Maybe the fact that it's winter, it's a Capital city, lots of tourists, heavily polluted with anglo-culture has something to do with it. Didn't really see any dutch women that looked sweet or approachable.

Met a Finnish guy who'd been travelling around the world for over 10 years, had live in Thailand for a great deal. Said he wouldn't want to live in the Netherlands or the UK, for a lot of the reasons cited on this site.

One of the main differences is the quantity of fat people, significantly less than the UK. This is one of the advantages of bike-based vs. car-based transportation.

A lot of people going over to get stoned, surprise. This was what I would say is my first time coming across 'typical' Americans. My god are they full of themselves and rude, like they own the f***ing place. The worst examples of American tourists I've ever seen to date.

Even so, it's nice to visit a place that's not choked with cars, where everything is accessible by bike and transit, where cycling doesn't feel like a dice with death. It would be nice if all cities were like that. Gives me a taste of what everywhere could potentially be like if the modal share was a bit better balanced.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Go East to inland cities like Almelo. Much nicer people.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

I lived in the Netherlands for a few years. Amsterdam can be cold and rainy in the winter. I would ride my bike everywhere when I was there. They have separate bike paths with their own traffic lights and separate lanes, so it is safe to drive and you can reach any part of the city that a car can reach. The women are more friendly than American women if you live in a smaller city. But they are not going to go out of their way to approach you, and will want to avoid the many English pot smoking tourists that go to Amsterdam on the weekends.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: A few days in Amsterdam

Post by Taco »

mattyman wrote: As for the Dutch women (from what I observed there)? Not impressed in the slightest. To be honest, they all seemed to be incredibly stuck-up and mean-looking, comparable to a rough, chavvy town in the UK.
Your not the first guy to notice this.

Dutch Women And Their Weird Behavior
http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Reader20 ... er4141.htm
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Dutch women are definitely stuck-up--even the Dutch prostitutes working in the Red-Light District. LOL!

The nicest ones tended to be the Black ones, though...strangely enough.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

Stickman is another loser whore monger site.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

MrPeabody wrote:Stickman is another loser whore monger site.
Yeah, good thing losers and mongers aren't allowed on HA. :roll:
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Women in Amsterdam are beautiful, but they are quite feminist in their ways. Probably one of the last places in the world I'd go looking for a woman. I will say though, all the natives of the city are quite sharply dressed. You'll be hard pressed to find a single local wearing trainers or sneakers. T-shirts also seem to be forbidden, unless they are hidden under multiple layers. Great city though- quite beautiful, felt safe, etc. Trouble is you get a lot of tourists that are "typical" tourists- they only travel to resorts, on cruises, or to places like Paris or Amsterdam.

I didn't go there planning to smoke any, but I ended up being convinced to try some in the smoking room of my hostel, and I must say- I hate marijuana in the US and refuse to smoke it, it's incredibly strong and does nothing but make me paranoid as hell. The stuff in Amsterdam just calmed me down, was really relaxing, like nothing I've ever tried in the States. I spent probably four days in that room without leaving to do anything but grab another beer, spend time with some girl, or sleep. It was an interesting and fun experience.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Check out this video about the red light district in Amsterdam, where a hidden camera is brought into a brothel. :D

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
TheLegendSeeker
Freshman Poster

Post by TheLegendSeeker »

1.Thanks for your honest report, nice perceptive on women abroad.
2.You could have invited that Finnish guy over to this forum it would be nice to read his adventure around the world.
3.why no photos?
mattyman
Junior Poster

Post by mattyman »

" The women are more friendly than American women if you live in a smaller city. But they are not going to go out of their way to approach you, and will want to avoid the many English pot smoking tourists that go to Amsterdam on the weekends"
That certainly explains it. On the first evening I arrived (sunday) I saw some evidence of the above. Fortunately, most the time I was there was on weekdays.

MAybe other cities in the Netherlands are friendlier, after all I here many people reporting that the Dutch are friendly and laidback, though didn't get this impression on my visit. Still, fantastic public realm. What all streets should be modelled on.

" I will say though, all the natives of the city are quite sharply dressed. You'll be hard pressed to find a single local wearing trainers or sneakers. T-shirts also seem to be forbidden, unless they are hidden under multiple layers."
Haha, you can say that again. This is one thing I was impressed by, (as well as the lack of obesity) Didn't notice ANY scabby, chavvy people, scratters, or tracksuit-clad single mums. Must admit, that was a refreshing change.
"2.You could have invited that Finnish guy over to this forum it would be nice to read his adventure around the world. "
I did mention this site, he seemed interested. Never know, a new member might show up. He seemed pretty drunk at the time TBH. He said, he wouldn't want to live in the UK or the Netherlands for precisely the reasons many of you guys cite regarding women.
polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

I'm glad you had a good trip and at least found the Spanish girls attractive. You should try going to the dykes and taking some photos there as I heard they are scenic.
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder