Can Americans Buy Land in Spain?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Can Americans Buy Land in Spain?

Post by Wolfeye »

Hey, everyone. Does anyone know if an American (without any EU citizenship) can buy land in Spain? I was thinking of getting a place over there if I could find it cheap enough, but can't find a clear answer on that. I suppose there's issues with verifying things, but if you pay with a check/card & it clears- what would be the issue?
thurgood
Freshman Poster

Re: Can Americans Buy Land in Spain?

Post by thurgood »

Absolutely. I am a US citizen who owns a farm in Spain, currently for sale actually...
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

You can buy land in Spain but you will need permanent residence to be able to live there full time. Otherwise, you will only have the maximum of three months out of every nine without becoming illegal or overstaying.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Well, the first part's good to know (by-the-way, thurgood- how much is that farm?). I was under the impression that you can get residency by getting the land.
thurgood
Freshman Poster

Post by thurgood »

It certainly makes getting the residency easier, to own land. I have thought it is fairly automatic if you can show means of support and medical insurance. I'll PM you a link to the ad if I can figure out PM's here.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Thanks. There's a PM icon on the bottom of the icon area (at least on the desktop view). It's right under "posts" & "joined."
thurgood
Freshman Poster

Post by thurgood »

Strange PM system. I write the message and there is no "send" button. Only "submit", whatever that means. After submitting messages, they wind up in the Outbox, but the Sent Messages area remains empty, devoid of any clues or info that messages have indeed been sent.
Last edited by thurgood on October 23rd, 2015, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

You can get residence via buying property but you need to buy a property of 500000 Euros and up which is in a bid to attract wealthy Chinese investment. Buying a cheap house or farm will not get you residence but you are free to buy that property, you just won't get legality via this route.

http://www.spanishpropertyinsight.com/residency/
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Got your message thurgood, send you one back.

yick: Dammit! How else does someone get residency? I've got to presume fake IDs can work for most things. I'm not looking to wait around & get locked-up for nothing in America because European paperwork takes forever if you're not connected & the migrants are swamping their goddamn services. Thanks for telling me, though. Maybe other countries have cheaper minimums?
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Wolfeye wrote:Got your message thurgood, send you one back.

yick: Dammit! How else does someone get residency? I've got to presume fake IDs can work for most things. I'm not looking to wait around & get locked-up for nothing in America because European paperwork takes forever if you're not connected & the migrants are swamping their goddamn services. Thanks for telling me, though. Maybe other countries have cheaper minimums?
A lot of EU countries have this kind of scheme but it is open to people who can afford it - Cyprus has a scheme like this also, but you had better bring a lot of readies.

If you want to live in a country that is easy to become legal and is Spanish speaking then I would have a look at Chile. You can fly into Chile and become legal afterwards. Chile is probably the easiest place to become a legal resident after you land.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

yick: Chile, eh? That sounds interesting. What is it, just applying for residency/citizenship & it's real easy to get? I remember reading something about it actually being more free (functionally, at least) than America is. I'd rather take a blind shot at Chile than stay on a place that is increasingly menacing & high-maintanence. Not seeing a huge turn-around in this part of the world & the culture itself seems very aligned toward supplantation. They have a tendency toward trying to crawl into other people's skin.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

thurgood wrote:Strange PM system. I write the message and there is no "send" button. Only "submit", whatever that means. After submitting messages, they wind up in the Outbox, but the Sent Messages area remains empty, devoid of any clues or info that messages have indeed been sent.
They are in the outbox until the recipient reads it. After that it goes into the sentbox. While it's in the outbox, you can edit and change your message if you wish, but after it's read, you can't. Hope that makes sense.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne