Malta?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
gravity25x
Freshman Poster

Malta?

Post by gravity25x »

Does anyone have any info about this country? I doubt it would be as good for dating/socializing as Russia/Georgia/Phil, but what I mean is it could be a place to go when you are tired of all the BS that comes with living in a developing country (ala Russia, Georgia, Phil...), sometimes it just gets old that the roads suck, electricity sometimes gets shut off, people are constantly trying to take advantage of you, etc etc. I'm originally from the US but am also a Swedish citizen and currently living in Tbilisi, Georgia, and would like to have somewhere more developed to spend part of the year...and I would prefer it to not be the feminazi capital of the world (Sweden) and I'd also prefer not to freeze my rear-end off ever winter and barely see the sun for 5 months...

Anything?
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Re: Malta?

Post by eurobrat »

gravity25x wrote:Does anyone have any info about this country? I doubt it would be as good for dating/socializing as Russia/Georgia/Phil, but what I mean is it could be a place to go when you are tired of all the BS that comes with living in a developing country (ala Russia, Georgia, Phil...), sometimes it just gets old that the roads suck, electricity sometimes gets shut off, people are constantly trying to take advantage of you, etc etc. I'm originally from the US but am also a Swedish citizen and currently living in Tbilisi, Georgia, and would like to have somewhere more developed to spend part of the year...and I would prefer it to not be the feminazi capital of the world (Sweden) and I'd also prefer not to freeze my rear-end off ever winter and barely see the sun for 5 months...

Anything?
I'm going in September for a wedding, I can let you know how it goes.
KAMEHAMEHA
Freshman Poster

Post by KAMEHAMEHA »

bump
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Malta is a very neat little island that is great for a brief visit, but not so great for long term living.

The positives:

-Great architecture and beauty in the most unique landscape.

-Very familiar culture of due to the history as an English enclave. Most people speak English.

-Very traditional, family-oriented culture if you are so inclined.

-Very liberal investment visa program that some consider a quiet back door into the EU.

-Very party-oriented young people who hang out in St Julian's.

The negatives:

-Extremely expensive beyond belief given the fact that it is small and everything must be shipped in.

-After a week or so, I began to catch island fever due to the relative lack of variety.

-The country is notoriously xenophobic because even small influxes of migrants can drastically alter its status quo. This does not generally affect tourists.

-Small town syndrome where if you hook up with a girl, other girls will know and will be off-limits for awhile.

-Very small nightlife area leaves you with a "what next?" feeling.

-Most women there are not very attractive. Think of half Arabic and half Southern Italian. It was a strange combination to encounter these inbred offspring of Phoenicians. This is considered to be an attractive Maltese woman:

Not really my cup of tea, but to each his own.