The Roma in Eastern Europe

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
Kapinga626
Freshman Poster

Post by Kapinga626 »

I had some experiences / run-ins with some Roma while vacationing in Tver City Russia in 2000 and 2003 .

While sitting at a cafe , I saw a Hummer H1 pull up . Two Roma guys got out and started B.S.' ing . Three Roma women also got out , then walked down the block , and began begging .

I was standing outside a shopping mall having a smoke , while my wife went in to buy a few things . A gypsy woman started shaking me down for some cash . I declined , but she kept on . When I said No - No instead of Nyet - Nyet , she only tried harder . She was about 2 feet away from me jabbering on in Roma language VERY LOUDLY , and would not F ' ing stop .
Finally , I gave her some rubles , and expected her to leave . She did not .
Instead , she called over some more gypsy women , and they all started in on me . There were about 4 of them virtually screaming at me for some money . There were about 20 Russians standing around for the tram , so I held my hands out , palms up and gave a pleading look , but they just stared and no one came to my rescue .
My wife was coming out of the mall , as I was charging in to get her , and I said " Get these bitches off me " ! She told them something in Russian , and we made our escape .
I said " What was that all about ? " .
" Did you give them money ? "
" yes "
" That's why . If you gave a little money to one , then you could afford to give a little to the rest " . F****

I was warned repeatedly by Russians NOT to buy gold from the gypsies , because " They can put you in a trance , and take everything you've got " .

Two gypsy women spot each other on the street . They are separated by about a city block . They both start screaming at each other , and gesticulating with their hands , then start running at each other .
When they reach each other , they continue yip - yapping in Roma at the top of their lungs .
I asked an ex-pat friend of mine , " I thought they were going to kill each other " . He explained that that's just how they talk to each other .

I heard that gypsy kids are yanked out of school as soon as they learn how to count . An exaggeration maybe , but I did see a lot of gypsy kids begging .
" I rang'd the world , I cross'd the seas,
in hopes my restless breast to ease,
By pleasures yet unknown :

To all amusements I have run ,
that's found beneath the daily sun;
Till weary I have grown . "

- Samuel Patterson a poor , lowly sailor circa 1800's
Kapinga626
Freshman Poster

Post by Kapinga626 »

Whew , O.K. I did have one cool experience with a gypsy .

In 2003 , I was in Tver again , and standing outside a train station with our infant son . He was about 1 1/2 years old and he was sleepy . It was too noisy inside the station , so I carried him outside .
I spotted a gypsy woman standing up against the wall . She was probably middle-aged and beautiful . She had a defeated look , and a world weary smile . Dark complected with almond shaped eyes , I wondered what she must have looked like when she was younger .

As I slowly walked past , she gestered that she wanted to see him .
Not believing the superstitious Russians that gypsies could put me in a trance or cast spells on me , I turned around , so she could see his face .
She started singing him a lullaby .
There was no music , no intruments , just her singing .
It went on for ten minutes or more .
It was beautiful , soft , and touching . It's something that I'll never forget .
When she finished , I smiled , nodded and walked on leary about giving her a tip , but she never asked or acted like she wanted anything for the performance .

My boy is almost 10 now , and I've told him the story . He smiles , but I know that he doesn't really appreciate what I'm telling him . Maybe he will when he's 30 .
" I rang'd the world , I cross'd the seas,
in hopes my restless breast to ease,
By pleasures yet unknown :

To all amusements I have run ,
that's found beneath the daily sun;
Till weary I have grown . "

- Samuel Patterson a poor , lowly sailor circa 1800's
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

LinuxOnly wrote:Hitler killed up to 2 million Gypsies, with a high percentage of RH negative.
Do you mean that those gypsies mostly had RH negative blood types? What does that matter? Is that supposed to justify their extermination?
LinuxOnly wrote: Around the world "gypsies" are mostly known for trafficking drugs,...
Have you ever met a gypsy in real life? You're the one who is always going on about how we shouldn't trust everything we hear.

I've been around quite a few gypsies. I even had sex with a gypsy woman and wasn't robbed.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

Jackal wrote:
LinuxOnly wrote:Hitler killed up to 2 million Gypsies, with a high percentage of RH negative.
Do you mean that those gypsies mostly had RH negative blood types? What does that matter? Is that supposed to justify their extermination?
It's just a theory on why they were targeted. There was always a method to the Nazi's madness you see, contrary to what we're taught at school (that Hitler was a deeply confused, charismatic psychopath). In another genocide, something like 60 million Cherokees in America were slaughtered and they also had high percentage of RH negatives. The science wasn't around back then but I'm sure they had other ways to tell, checking the blood is only one way recognize a person has certain traits.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

LinuxOnly wrote:
Jackal wrote:
It's just a theory on why they were targeted. There was always a method to the Nazi's madness you see, contrary to what we're taught at school (that Hitler was a deeply confused, charismatic psychopath). In another genocide, something like 60 million Cherokees in America were slaughtered and they also had high percentage of RH negatives. The science wasn't around back then but I'm sure they had other ways to tell, checking the blood is only one way recognize a person has certain traits.
Where did you come up with the 60 million number?
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

LinuxOnly wrote: It's just a theory on why they were targeted. There was always a method to the Nazi's madness you see, contrary to what we're taught at school (that Hitler was a deeply confused, charismatic psychopath). In another genocide, something like 60 million Cherokees in America were slaughtered and they also had high percentage of RH negatives. The science wasn't around back then but I'm sure they had other ways to tell, checking the blood is only one way recognize a person has certain traits.
I know that the Nazis did things a very precise way. That doesn't make them any more ethical.

Since you didn't answer my earlier question, I'll assume that you've never met a gypsy in person.
Empyrian
Freshman Poster

Post by Empyrian »

I always had a fascination with these people. Not that I'd like being pick-pocketed or robbed or scammed, but I definitely romanticize the idea of a crafty drifter that lives outside of society.
Abolish fear; abolish doubt; dismiss pride.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Empyrian wrote:I always had a fascination with these people. Not that I'd like being pick-pocketed or robbed or scammed, but I definitely romanticize the idea of a crafty drifter that lives outside of society.
A lot of modern gypsies live normal lifestyles and go to school or work like anybody else, although there are still a lot of gypsies on welfare, at least in Hungary.

A lot of the gypsies I see act and dress quite ghetto like the poor black people do in the US. Not surprisiningly, a lot of gypsies like American gangster rap.