How do you guys deal with depression?

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

Depression has been something I have dealt with as long as I can remember. Some of the above posts were spot on...very well written.

I deal with depression by looking forward rather than dwelling on the here and now or the past. I plan ahead and just push forward in order to progress. If I stop and get to dwelling on things, I'll sink into depression. It makes no logical sense for me to stop until I have gotten to a point where I can feel some sort of satisfaction and happiness. My emotional self has kind of been sacrificed though. It's hard for me to enjoy anything in the here and now...that's the negative of my current situation. I guess I just had to decide whether I wanted to TRY to enjoy life now OR push forward in order to have something better in the future...

The big risk in living as I do is never reaching that point of satisfaction or happiness. I would have essentially chased after something my whole life without ever being able to obtain it. This would obviously be devastating, but I am just not the type of person to "settle" for something I'm just not happy with. "Taking time to smell the roses" isn't something that I do very much, outside of the nature hikes I do for general health. In the past, I've literally worked myself to the point where it was extremely unhealthy. I'm now trying to recover my health while staying on that path to get where I want to be...only a bit slower. I read a quote a year or so ago from the Dalai Lama that hit me like a ton of bricks and made me realize that I need to slow down:

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, said:

"Man.
Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present;
the result being that he does not live in the present or the future;
he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

OUCH...so true. For me, its probably the most meaningful quote I've ever read...

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Sauromancer wrote:I think the best cure for depression is to become Batman.
Works for me!
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

exercise ist pretty good. I run now 4 times a day in total above 10km and play basketball 2 times a day. Yeah it´s crazy for most people but it works. Also important to be in a sunny climate. Yeah and music is also important and no tv.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

tre wrote:Depression has been something I have dealt with as long as I can remember. Some of the above posts were spot on...very well written.

I deal with depression by looking forward rather than dwelling on the here and now or the past. I plan ahead and just push forward in order to progress. If I stop and get to dwelling on things, I'll sink into depression. It makes no logical sense for me to stop until I have gotten to a point where I can feel some sort of satisfaction and happiness. My emotional self has kind of been sacrificed though. It's hard for me to enjoy anything in the here and now...that's the negative of my current situation. I guess I just had to decide whether I wanted to TRY to enjoy life now OR push forward in order to have something better in the future...

The big risk in living as I do is never reaching that point of satisfaction or happiness. I would have essentially chased after something my whole life without ever being able to obtain it. This would obviously be devastating, but I am just not the type of person to "settle" for something I'm just not happy with. "Taking time to smell the roses" isn't something that I do very much, outside of the nature hikes I do for general health. In the past, I've literally worked myself to the point where it was extremely unhealthy. I'm now trying to recover my health while staying on that path to get where I want to be...only a bit slower. I read a quote a year or so ago from the Dalai Lama that hit me like a ton of bricks and made me realize that I need to slow down:

"Man.
he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

OUCH...so true. For me, its probably the most meaningful quote I've ever read...
Thanks! It's very good to read that.
HenryGeorge
Freshman Poster

Post by HenryGeorge »

tre wrote:Depression has been something I have dealt with as long as I can remember. Some of the above posts were spot on...very well written.

"Man.

Having recently read the work of The Dalai Lama, much of his writings certainly are profound.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: How do you guys deal with depression?

Post by Winston »

Dont you hate it when youre depressed, how your own inner demons start saying things to you like, "youre worthless, youre good for nothing, you suck", etc? And dont you hate how being depressed makes you feel like everything is pointless and hopeless and futile? Sucks huh? Today i had one of those days. Do you guys ever have them too? It makes you feel so powerless.

I hate how time is going too fast and im always late and behind and wasting time and not getting the relationships i want, while everyday seeing ugly, old or fat guys with hot girls in china, indicating that something supernatural from above must be against me, if i cant get what guys who are uglier than me can get.

Some guys just arent meant to get attractive females, no matter what they do. Some guys just dont have the luck, karma, vibe, charisma, magnetism and pheromones that it takes to get good looking women. Such guys can only get unattractive women they dont desire. I seem to be one of them. Sucks but thats life.

Its not true that everything is controllable and that you can make your own luck. Thats american bullshit and delusion. Sometimes, no matter what you do or how hard you try, the end result is always the same and out of your control. It can happen over and over again your whole life. And even if you get lucky once in a while, the result never lasts, something always messes it up. Ive seen it happen many times. It sucks and is depressing.

It isnt all about looks. Its about a certain intangible that some guys have that attracts women. Some guys have it and some guys dont. Its not controllable. Attraction is instinctive and emotional, not logical. So its not true that you can control who is attracted to you. Thats a PUA myth.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne