My Loud snoring/Sleep apnea problem - What to do? Do I need a CPAP machine?

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Re: Loud snoring/Sleep apnea problem - What to do?

Post by HouseMD »

Winston wrote:Is that why such devices arent sold in stores? Only online?

It must be a defect of mother nature or evolution. Why would nature allow such a flaw like sleep apnea? Stupid.

What do you suggest I do HouseMD?
Do as your doctor recommends.

Some people with OSA can be effectively cured by weight loss. OSA is also worsened by some sedating substances, such as alcohol and first generation antihistamines, so people with OSA are encouraged to use such things as little as possible before bed. Alcohol and OSA is particularly bad, as it causes relaxation of the soft palate and muscles of the oropharynx, making your already floppy and overwhelmed airway even worse. This is not advice, but just general information about OSA. I do not give advice over the internet as a matter of policy, as I need to see a patient to properly evaluate them.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

It's word filtering syndrome doc. Just give him some pills so the words "lose weight" don't go thru deaf ears.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Guhji
Freshman Poster

Post by Guhji »

Tape your mouth shut before you sleep.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: How do you get rid of a pot belly that won't go away?!

Post by Winston »

Btw Rock,
I already did the sleep lab test in Taipei. The technician lady said she did get my sleep apnea recorded on the machine. The results won't be available until September 21 though. I don't want to wait that long. I've been wanting to get out of Taiwan since June and July. I don't want to bother my parents to go up to Taipei for me either. Can you get the results next time you're in Taipei? Or can I just get the results on the phone? It's such a pain to do it up there and then follow up. I should have done the test in the Philippines or down south in Chiayi area.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:Btw Rock,
I already did the sleep lab test in Taipei. The technician lady said she did get my sleep apnea recorded on the machine. The results won't be available until September 21 though. I don't want to wait that long. I've been wanting to get out of Taiwan since June and July. I don't want to bother my parents to go up to Taipei for me either. Can you get the results next time you're in Taipei? Or can I just get the results on the phone? It's such a pain to do it up there and then follow up. I should have done the test in the Philippines or down south in Chiayi area.
1. Do you realize that if you have sleep apnea, you may need an expensive machine which in Taiwan would be subsidized but not so in the Philippines?

2. Don't you remember that the sleep centers all around Taiwan get booked weeks and months in advance and that you were lucky to get this slot so quickly?

3. If sleep apnea is so critical as not only to directly affect your daily energy levels in a big way but also to slowly kill your heart, doesn't it make the most sense to prioritize this issue in your life now? If so, wait a few more days and get your ass back up to Taipei.

You can go alone. Youre Mandarin and Taiwanese are much better than your Russian and you got along fine in Russia. Plus, they can get people in the hospital to help with translating to English, or you can just ring up your dad and do a 3 way speaker phone call with your dad translating what they say into English.
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Post by El_Caudillo »

I agree with rock. Get your health sorted first. I dont mind going in with you to get the results just to lend moral support.
Even Billy knows that, just ask Mr S!
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Diet plan for Winston - Any suggestions?

Post by Rock »

Winston what were the results of your sleep tests? They were due today. Please share the specifics of diagnosis and treatment plan recommended if any.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Diet plan for Winston - Any suggestions?

Post by Winston »

Rock wrote:Winston what were the results of your sleep tests? They were due today. Please share the specifics of diagnosis and treatment plan recommended if any.
I have to go to Taipei and get them from the doctor. A pain in the ass. I wish you could do it for me. lol
This whole thing has delayed my departure from this miserable island of Taiwan.

Btw I'm moving your posts about this to the sleep apnea thread.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

El_Caudillo wrote:I agree with rock. Get your health sorted first. I dont mind going in with you to get the results just to lend moral support.
Well I guess El_Caudillo could go with me too. His Chinese is pretty good, almost as good as Rock's. My parents won't let me go to Taipei alone because they worry I'll get lost or not understand the doctor. They are overprotective. lol. It's such a pain though to go there and come back. And it pains me to see so many cold soulless Taiwanese girls with hot bodies and skin but that are unapproachable and unattainable just because I didn't go to school with them. Stupid.

HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Winston wrote:
El_Caudillo wrote:I agree with rock. Get your health sorted first. I dont mind going in with you to get the results just to lend moral support.
Well I guess El_Caudillo could go with me too. His Chinese is pretty good, almost as good as Rock's. My parents won't let me go to Taipei alone because they worry I'll get lost or not understand the doctor. They are overprotective. lol. It's such a pain though to go there and come back. And it pains me to see so many cold soulless Taiwanese girls with hot bodies and skin but that are unapproachable and unattainable just because I didn't go to school with them. Stupid.
Why would an attractive woman that wants a husband go for a guy like you, who is largely in it just to bang and run? Women can kind of sense that.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

HouseMD wrote:
Winston wrote:
Why would an attractive woman that wants a husband go for a guy like you, who is largely in it just to bang and run? Women can kind of sense that.
I am not like that. I never bang em and leave em. I never said I did either. You got me mixed up with others. If a girl is my type, I always seek a relationship with her. I like female company and relationships. Especially since I'm seeking a wife too. I'm not the one who dumps my women. They usually dump me or we drift apart if we are not in the same country. Don't mischaracterize me please.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Update:

We just got back from Taipei. Me and my parents went to get the results of the sleep test. The doctor said yes I do have sleep apnea and it's quite extreme. He said at one point, I stopped breathing for 17 seconds. However, Rock was wrong that they would give me the air mask to sleep at night and that it would be covered by my insurance. It turns out that it costs 60,000 NT, or 2,000 USD and the insurance company will not cover that. I don't know why it costs so much though. Looking at the photo of it on a brochure they gave me, it looks like a cheap device with a mouthpiece that you can get at Walgreens for $19.99. LOL. Ridiculous. The doctor said the device is cheaper in the US, where it costs about 1,000 USD. Crazy. I wonder if there's a cheaper way to get it online or in China or Philippines. Rock is looking into that now.

So all the doctor did was give me the spiel about "dieting, exercising and jogging to lose weight". He even got New Agey on me by saying that the power of belief conquers all, and that I gotta believe in myself to lose weight. Etc. He claimed he could see through me and tell that I am a wandering type of guy, which is true. I guess he might have a sixth sense. He claimed to be able to read patients very well, because after seeing hundreds of them, he gets a sense for what kind of person they are and what their problem is, from his instinct and sixth sense. lol

Anyhow, I guess these trips to Taipei were a waste then. My departure from Taiwan has been delayed by them for almost a month now, and all for nothing. Geez. I received no remedies for my sleep apnea, except a pep talk about exercising and losing weight, which I didn't need to go to a hospital to hear. I could have heard it right here on the forum. lol.

I guess Rock, in being eager to help me, backfired. For some reason, the doctor Rock and I visited told us that the air mask machine would probably be covered by the insurance. But it isn't. So I don't get why the doctor told Rock that, since the doctor we saw should be on the same level as the doctor I saw yesterday. So why did he misinform Rock? Rock, maybe you should call Dr. Wang and ask him why he told you that? That's a big mistake and very misleading too.

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:Update:

We just got back from Taipei. Me and my parents went to get the results of the sleep test. The doctor said yes I do have sleep apnea and it's quite extreme. He said at one point, I stopped breathing for 17 seconds. However, Rock was wrong that they would give me the air mask to sleep at night and that it would be covered by my insurance. It turns out that it costs 60,000 NT, or 2,000 USD and the insurance company will not cover that. I don't know why it costs so much though. Looking at the photo of it on a brochure they gave me, it looks like a cheap device with a mouthpiece that you can get at Walgreens for $19.99. LOL. Ridiculous. The doctor said the device is cheaper in the US, where it costs about 1,000 USD. Crazy. I wonder if there's a cheaper way to get it online or in China or Philippines. Rock is looking into that now.

So all the doctor did was give me the spiel about "dieting, exercising and jogging to lose weight". He even got New Agey on me by saying that the power of belief conquers all, and that I gotta believe in myself to lose weight. Etc. He claimed he could see through me and tell that I am a wandering type of guy, which is true. I guess he might have a sixth sense. He claimed to be able to read patients very well, because after seeing hundreds of them, he gets a sense for what kind of person they are and what their problem is, from his instinct and sixth sense. lol

Anyhow, I guess these trips to Taipei were a waste then. My departure from Taiwan has been delayed by them for almost a month now, and all for nothing. Geez. I received no remedies for my sleep apnea, except a pep talk about exercising and losing weight, which I didn't need to go to a hospital to hear. I could have heard it right here on the forum. lol.

I guess Rock, in being eager to help me, backfired. For some reason, the doctor Rock and I visited told us that the air mask machine would probably be covered by the insurance. But it isn't. So I don't get why the doctor told Rock that, since the doctor we saw should be on the same level as the doctor I saw yesterday. So why did he misinform Rock? Rock, maybe you should call Dr. Wang and ask him why he told you that? That's a big mistake and very misleading too.
I think its important you did these tests. It may be that you've had this condition for a long time already. So perhaps your biggest regret should be not having done them much sooner, many years sooner, instead of delaying your departure out of Taiwan by a measly month. Now you know why you're so unpopular in shared hostels sometimes lol.

Seriously, putting Murphy's Law and all the other demons you believe in aside, do you think it's possible that the daytime sleepiness, lack of energy, headaches, high blood pressure, difficult concentrating, insomnia, chronic obesity, and poor general health you may often suffer may be at least partially caused by your obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)? Also, do you believe that OSA can materially damage your heart and even brain over the years (http://www.sleepdr.com/blog/how-does-sl ... -the-brain)?

If you answered yes or even maybe to those two questions, shouldn't getting this 'handled' be an urgent priority in your life? Don't worry about minor inconveniences when your health is in serious jeopardy.

It sounds like your doctor recommended you get a CPAP machine. I'm in Hong Kong at moment and can check around to see what these devices start at here. In the meantime, perhaps you can ring up some of these vendors in Philippines to see what their prices are like (http://lcp.gov.ph/images/LCP_Sleep_Website/provider.htm). Make sure to get any relevant specs or information about this from your Taipei doctor if you haven't already done so.

It's too bad if Taiwan's NHS won't cover the cost of the machine. The psychologist we initially spoke with, the one who set up your appointment with sleep doctor and lab tests, was under the impression that it would likely be covered or at least partially subsidized but she gave no promises and confirmed nothing. It seems that NHS system in Taiwan might be scaling back certain services or at least getting stricter in what the sign off on. Perhaps Momopi could shed some light on this if he knows. You see the system is quite taxed when you consider how much it covers, how low the premiums are, and the increasing number of people using it (more and more mainlanders, Taiwan diaspora, and certain foreigners).

Please focus on the salient issue which is your health which directly impacts your life quality. Don't worry so much about spending an extra month in Taiwan or possibly having to shell out US$1,000+ for a treatment protocol which could greatly enhance your well being.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Winston...Seriously....What a load of giant con, lies and general crap we are living in man...

Just for snoring, they want to charge you 2000 freaking dollars...what a scam to milk humanity..when the solution is nearly free.

GET AYURVEDIC HERBAL REMEDY......Its easily freaking curable right in your HOME...

I too had this like 20 years ago and it was cured in few weeks..right in my HOME ITSELF...no need to go to doctors to scam you. What the F**Ck is going on here...Humanity is milked for snoring now :| :| :| :shock:

I can't believe for snoring..You have to go through so much sh**t...Now, we can imagine how Americans suffer everyday making trips to hospitals.

Life Expectancy is a SCAM..because in America, they merely keep you ALIVE to Milk all your hard earned money. The most important factor is NUMBER OF TRIPS to THE HOSPITAL. Even if you live for 50 years...Make sure, you never go to hospital, never fall sick and enjoy your life to the FULLEST. That's the key.

Its the Quality of Life that matters...not, the length of time you lived on earth. Whats the use if you lived on earth making trips to the hospitals??

-----------------

Just do this

http://www.rapidhomeremedies.com/remedi ... oring.html

Do any of the technique mentioned above, it should relieve you of heavy snoring. You can do what is available in Taiwan for now.

http://www.homeveda.com/Natural-Remedie ... or-Snoring

-------------------

Consult these doctors in America

http://www.mapi.com/partners/ayurvedic- ... #gsc.tab=0

Get FREE consultation from India *******

http://www.planetayurveda.com/online-consultation.htm

They will recommend you good Ayurvedic Medicine

http://santhigramusa.com/

--------------------------------------

You can get cured in your home, but it will take a bit longer, just get Ayurvedic Medicine, which has NO SIDE EFFECTS and is 1/100th the cost of Modern Medicine and IT REALLY CURES....

Its "BIG" Psy-Op scam again of the western modern medicine...They make simple diseases BIG in your mind with 100s of test to Psychologically program you to charge more.

The CURE FOR SNORING IS FREEEEEEEEE....at Home or Cost a Penny if you buy Herbal Medicine...

--------------------------------

No wonder people are not able to understand higher concepts of life, when they have to spend half of their life in finding cure for simple illness like snoring and no wonder this thread is going on for like 5 years now...They are milking you...

-------------------------------

I personally guarantee you will be cured, if you use Ayurvedic Medicine...Just try it ONCE... :idea:
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

The more I think about this the more pissed I am. I lost a whole MONTH due to a lie by the doctor and sleep center that my insurance would cover the sleep apnea machine. Someone deceived us or lied to us. I'm gonna call the hospital and ask to speak to a manager or English speaking rep and complain and chew them out. Someone has to take responsibility for this mistake. I'm going to file a complaint and bad review of this hospital on Ripoff Report too.

I'll post the Chinese name of it below.
Taipei Medical University Hospital
台北醫學大學附設醫院
http://www.tmu.edu.tw/english/main.php
(02)2737-2181 ext 2155

Rock, this didn't just delay my schedule by a WHOLE MONTH. It also caused my parents a lot of trouble too. They have to drive 40 minutes to the HSR, because they refuse to park in the park and ride the free shuttle, and then take an hour on the HSR to Taipei, then find a hotel or accommodations. It's a multi-step process and a lot of trouble. Coming back is the same too. My dad gets lost a lot while driving in rural areas with no proper signage, and ends up taking the local road back, which takes forever. the HSR station is often way out there. Nowhere near the city.

So you see, sometimes what you think is a good thing turns out to be a bad thing. I didn't delay a whole month just to have the doctor tell me "Lose weight. Exercise." Anyone can tell me that. You were deceived by someone Rock. You should find out who. Was it Dr. Wang or that Psychologist girl? Either way, this misinformation cost us. Someone has to take the blame for that. I'm going to call the hospital to complain. Deception is not right, especially when it cost me a whole month.

See Rock. Murphy's Law even uses you to delay me. I should have left in August. Then Reggie begged me to come to Hsinchu. Then you put me through the whole hospital fiasco - which consisted of two follow up trips to Taipei - all for nothing. They had no solution for me or remedy, other than tell me to lose weight. What a waste of time. I wish I could go back in time right now to the time we entered that hospital and tell you "No I don't want to go to the hospital. I want to get out of here asap." to avoid all this. Why can't God let us go back in time to prevent mistakes? That would be a lot better than never being able to undo them.

The thing is, had I known that the sleep center would not give me any sleep apnea machines or solutions, I wouldn't have gone through with the appointments. I already knew I had sleep apnea, so what was the point then?

Rock, why don't you call them to see who misinformed you? Here is their number: (02)2737-2181 ext 2155

It looks like sleep apnea machines in the US cost $400 and up.

http://www.resmed.com/ap/en/consumer.html
http://www.sleepnetmasks.com/sleep-apnea-masks/
http://www.bestcpapprice.com/CPAP-Machines_c_11.html
http://www.cpap.com/cpap-machines.php

But even if I get one, they look heavy and bulky and would be hard to travel around with.