Changing Your Thoughts vs Your Location - New Age Cliche vs Happier Abroad

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Changing your thoughts vs. Changing your location?

Post by Adama »

Ghost wrote:
Adama wrote:I will not deny though. There is more opportunity overseas and it is more plentiful, and there is great scarcity here in the states.
Quick, somebody frame this and put in on the wall before he deletes it!
Look as they hang onto every single word uttered. Make sure you memorize everything I write from now on.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

I don't know about this shit. All I know is that, thinking too much has not helped me. I felt like it was, thought it did. But didn't. In this world doing is all that matters, it's all people see.
I tried to get all metaphysical, but it did benefit me and I did gain wisdom, but it's pointless because it doesn't get you anywhere. You don't get anything from it - people walk all over you, the more open you are.

I'm too nice, that's the problem, it's always been my problem. Nice guys get nowhere - that's the truth. I wish I was happy. I wish I wasn't, didn't know how to ever not "not" be nice.
You just do it. You jus thave to do it. Changing location doesn't matter, you will always just be the same person you were - you have to change inside.

It's all frustrating. You have to do it.
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 29th, 2017, 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Ghost wrote:
Adama wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Adama wrote:I will not deny though. There is more opportunity overseas and it is more plentiful, and there is great scarcity here in the states.
Look as they hang onto every single word uttered. Make sure you memorize everything I write from now on.
*noted*
-Adama: Lord, why did you let me drown?

-God: What about the tree branch, the boat, and the helicopter I sent you? I also had people yelling hints on what to do, you idiot! why did you make fun of them?

-Adama: Oh...
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

droid wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Adama wrote:
Ghost wrote:
*noted*
-Adama: Lord, why did you let me drown?

-God: What about the tree branch, the boat, and the helicopter I sent you? I also had people yelling hints on what to do, you idiot! why did you make fun of them?

-Adama: Oh...

Funny you should mention that. When I was around 15 I went backpacking in the mountains with a small group. We got to a place where they were going to swim across the water. I swam across but couldn't get a grip on the rock on the other side to climb out. Luckily my buddy was there to reach in and grab me. This man saved me from drowning already.

I could recount many miracles to you about my life. They're all meaningless happenstance to fools, but added together it becomes clear.

Keep mocking. It isn't me you're displeasing. There is one person who records every idle word uttered. He is the one you will have to give an accounting to.

Also, take note that as for the hints and making fun part, that applies to you, not me. I have been warning and yelling. You're the one mocking. I would bet that God may have some words for you, similar to those which you had for me. In fact, good that you mentioned that, since Proverbs chapter one basically says just that.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

My new video rant where I explain why LOCATION is the key to changing your life, not thoughts or attitudes.

Description:

My Happier Abroad movement is unique and revolutionary in two ways. First, it's the only self-help movement out there that focuses on changing your LOCATION rather than your thoughts and attitude like all other self-help movements advocate. Second, unlike all other critics of America, we focus on America's problems that are NOT related to government or economics, which more directly affect our lives such as:

1) The terrible dating scene for men that leaves many decent single men without romantic options for love or marriage, thus forcing many men to be celibate and depriving them of love, romance and sex against their will.
2) The antisocial, socially disconnected culture and lack of social connection, which results in loneliness and isolation and makes it unnaturally hard to make friends.
3) The high rate of mental illness in America, and horrible mental health in America which brings out the worst in you, creating low self-esteem and mental disorders that naturally stem from a toxic, unhealthy, unnatural, antisocial, negative environment.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here are some great points from Ethan_sg (my Singaporean freethinker friend who lives in China) about why the self-improvement industry is INCOMPLETE without Happier Abroad:

"@Winston the phrase 'self help' is too broadly used. By the broadest definition, everything we do in life would be a form of 'self help' such as even eating food and drinking water , or getting enough sleep to stay healthy - life is a perpetual process of self help by that very definition. So by that very broad definition, there is nothing to be debated, because unless an individual is masochistic or suicidal, each and everything he does in life can be considered a form of 'self help'

Now there is also nothing wrong with a man striving to improve his looks, health, fitness, confidence levels, language abilities, developing interest and hobbies etc. These I suppose may also rightfully be considered forms of 'self improvements' and there is pretty much nothing wrong with them.

Now where there is a problem with self help is when it gets in the way of achieving bigger and important goals. For example when you're living in an environment as toxic as the Anglosphere, your number one priority should be to get out of it, not to try to make the best of it and then end up staying on for the rest of your life. Both moving abroad or making the best of life in the Anglosphere can be seen as ways of 'self help' or 'self improvement' - so which should you choose?

Herein lies the weakness and flaws of a term as broad and superficial as 'self help/improvement' - there is no underlying philosophy or social theory in self help which will help you decide which to choose when you are faced with the choice of moving abroad from the Anglosphere or deciding to stay and make the best of it. Self help and self improvement has no answers for that because it is not a philosophy.

And this is where happier abroad comes in along with the emphasis on concretely comparing and analyzing the deep differences in social and love life in different countries and societies. Self help alone cannot give you direction on the biggest choices in life, you need deep analysis and experience to make the best choices. In the end the problems with self help is that the concept is on the one hand too broad, and on the other hand can get in the way of seeing the bigger picture and getting you to compromise on a bad situation by making the best of it instead of taking the more drastic decision to revolutionize your life and move abroad.

Self help can be indiscriminately applied to many different things in life but in the end what men need most of all is direction. Helping one's self achieve happiness is the end goal but without direction you won't know which way to go. That's where you need philosophy and comparative sociology in order to figure out the best way forward - there are a ton of things you could do to help yourself , many of which many be mutually incompatible or even contradictory. So which direction do you take in life? You need philosophy. Not just blind self help. That would be putting the cart before the horse. Blindly and indiscriminately applied self help can lead to the overall degradation of one's life in the long run.

If you take it to the extreme, self help means enabling yourself to do literally anything in life, so as long as you believe it, but that of course has already been debunked. If you take a more conservative definition of self help, then it is merely common sense. Yes improve yourself, cultivate interests, stay healthy etc, be confident yes . But all this should go without saying and is pretty meaningless from a philosophical standpoint because it provides no underlying direction.

This diluted commonsensical form of self help is just stating the obvious and seems more like a 'feel good' marketing gimmick by those with commercial interests in the so called self improvement industry. What we need most of all is philosophy to give is direction, not just blind and indiscriminate self help over anything and everything under the sun."
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
xhatox
Freshman Poster

Post by xhatox »

Winston wrote:My new video rant where I explain why LOCATION is the key to changing your life, not thoughts or attitudes.

Description:

My Happier Abroad movement is unique and revolutionary in two ways. First, it's the only self-help movement out there that focuses on changing your LOCATION rather than your thoughts and attitude like all other self-help movements advocate. Second, unlike all other critics of America, we focus on America's problems that are NOT related to government or economics, which more directly affect our lives such as:

1) The terrible dating scene for men that leaves many decent single men without romantic options for love or marriage, thus forcing many men to be celibate and depriving them of love, romance and sex against their will.
2) The antisocial, socially disconnected culture and lack of social connection, which results in loneliness and isolation and makes it unnaturally hard to make friends.
3) The high rate of mental illness in America, and horrible mental health in America which brings out the worst in you, creating low self-esteem and mental disorders that naturally stem from a toxic, unhealthy, unnatural, antisocial, negative environment.

I realize this is an older post, but I couldn't agree more with you Winston! I tried changing my thoughts for 3 years, but it didn't work for the reasons you gave about location being a problem.

Regards,
xhatox
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Changing your thoughts/self/attitude vs. Changing your location/environment/culture

Post by Winston »

Why do new agers and truthers only focus on changing your mind or thoughts? What about changing your location? For instance, I'm much happier in Philippines and Russia. There I can be myself, have fun, flirt with girls everyday, date girls everyday, which I cannot do in America or Taiwan because if I try to, I will feel like a creep or criminal, since that is taboo in repressed countries like US and Taiwan. So I feel 1000x freer in Philippines and Russia and other socially open countries. Why do none of you truthers ever mention changing location to fit oneself better?

Also why do Buddhists and Meditation teachers like Eckhart Tolle assume that finding inner peace and meditation is the way to solve all your problems? Meditation may be great and therapeutic and lead to some inner peace, but it doesn't solve your problems, or get you what you want or need, or change your location so you can be free to do what you want. In contrast, changing location to a better culture that fits you does. For example in socially open countries like Russia, Eastern Europe and Philippines, I can have fun, be myself, flirt with girls, and have dates with girls everyday, which I cannot in socially closed countries like US or Taiwan. So in those social cultures, I am more alive and excited and free and confident, because I am allowed to be myself and do what I want. New Age or meditation or Buddhism doesn't do that for me, only changing location does. So it's useless to focus only on inner peace to solving all your suffering or problems, as Buddhists and Eckhart Tolle teach. Meditation and inner peace may help you cope in a culture where you don't fit in and don't belong and doesn't allow you to be yourself, but it's only a TEMPORARY solution, not long term one.

kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Re: Changing your thoughts/self/attitude vs. Changing your location/environment/culture

Post by kangarunner »

Winston wrote:
March 18th, 2022, 10:11 pm
So in those social cultures, I am more alive and excited and free and confident, because I am allowed to be myself and do what I want.
I confirm this to be true in my experience and others have too. Therefore, it must be a real phenomenon that exists and can be proven by science. @Winston when is your TED talk on this phenomenon?

On another note, just going out into nature has a healing effect and this is common in all parts of the world. There is a healing, calming energy in nature whether you go to the beach near the ocean, or a mountain area, or a park.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Changing Your Thoughts vs. Your Location - Self-Help Cliche vs. HappierAbroad

Post by Winston »

Tommy Tan made a video agreeing with me about why changing your location is the key, not changing your thoughts as the self-help industry focuses on.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Changing Your Thoughts vs Your Location - New Age Cliche vs Happier Abroad

Post by Winston »

Check this out. I thought old men were down to earth, but this old man says that the KEY to changing your life is changing your beliefs. Why does everyone say that? That doesn't work and even if it did, it would only be temporary. I've never known anyone who changed their life by changing their beliefs. He says that if you change your thoughts to positive, then your life will be positive all the time. LOL. WTF? Who actually believes that? Why does everyone say that? What's the basis of this? If that was true, then I could just be positive all the time and everything would go well and I'd only experience positive things in life. LOL. Yeah right.

My comments below his video:

@happierabroad
3 minutes ago (edited)
The "you create your reality" mantra makes zero sense. If we could create our reality, we would all be in a paradise where all our dreams come true and nothing goes wrong. Come on. Duh. Common sense. That's like saying that the reason your hand will burn if you touch the stove is because you believe it will. Totally absurd of course, but that's new age logic for you! This isn't just delusional, it's dangerous and insulting, because it's very VICTIM BLAMING too.

@happierabroad
0 seconds ago
Changing your beliefs doesn't change your reality. Thoughts REFLECT reality, they do not create it. The key to changing your life is to change your LOCATION! That's what worked for me. When I went abroad I finally was able to have love, romance, fun, friendship, etc. all the things I never got in America. For me, location was everything, just as it is in real estate. That's why new age teachings are BS to me. Never worked.

@happierabroad
0 seconds ago
WTF? If I could just be positive all the time and everything in my life would be positive and great, then EVERYONE would do that. Everyone would just think positive thoughts and disappointment would never exist! LOL. Come on. Get real. This defies basic logic and common sense. This man looks like he has a lot of life experience and ought to know better. No one in his generation believed this kind of stuff.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Another BS new age video that says that you can CONTROL your reality by CONTROLLING your thoughts. Why does everyone believe this if it doesn't work and there's no evidence for it and it defies basic logic and common sense?! What is everyone smoking?!

My comment below the video:

@happierabroad
2 weeks ago
This makes no sense. How come you can be positive yet everything can go wrong? How come disappointment exists if your thoughts control reality? lol. How come Native American Shamans didn't use their thoughts to stop their lands from being stolen? lol. See how FALSE all this is? Why do you LIE? Don't you have a conscience?

Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

Winston wrote:
January 16th, 2024, 3:16 am
Another BS new age video that says that you can CONTROL your reality by CONTROLLING your thoughts. Why does everyone believe this if it doesn't work and there's no evidence for it and it defies basic logic and common sense?! What is everyone smoking?!

@happierabroad
2 weeks ago
This makes no sense. How come you can be positive yet everything can go wrong? How come disappointment exists if your thoughts control reality? lol. How come Native American Shamans didn't use their thoughts to stop their lands from being stolen? lol. See how FALSE all this is? Why do you LIE? Don't you have a conscience?
If it was that easy then everyone would be mediating to get wealth, women, and status. But that is not reality.
:lol:
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
January 16th, 2024, 7:20 am
Winston wrote:
January 16th, 2024, 3:16 am

@happierabroad
2 weeks ago
If it was that easy then everyone would be mediating to get wealth, women, and status. But that is not reality.
:lol:
Maybe when you meditate you do not need any of them.