You guys need to get out more

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Re: You guys need to get out more

Post by OutWest »

Kradmelder wrote:Going to sea must be great if your boat can go significant distances. It really gets away from the crowd. Can you sail down to Mexico? the Pacific Coast must be so much less touristy than the Caribbean. what about going up the west coast of Canada to Alaska? all those remote coasts to land on.

A mate of mine, his son went off as crew for some large yacht owned by ceo of a multinational. He made a fair sum for a young man but ended up blowing it all on some girl he met. I bet lots of gold digger types hang out around yachts.

At least other people have interests beyond trolling for women in pick up bars or chinese/Russian women Internet sites :lol:
You are quite right. The west coast of the Americas has a lot to offer zone without the choking tourist traps if the overcrowded Caribbean. From Washington state, we have good cruising right at hand as well as the inland passage all the way up to Alaska. One can gunk hole their way up all the way or stop at any number of little fishing outposts on the coast of BC Canada on up to the Alaska panhandle. You meet other sailors but it's rarely a crowd and often vast, wild and remote. In winter, the place to go is south. The sea of Cortez is about 1000 miles long zone and compared to the north Pacific, easy and warm. There is also excellent whale watching activity and plenty of fishing. Our boat us very seaworthy, not at all dock jewelry, but a real sailors boat that is rugged enough to go anywhere on the planet. The man I purchased her from put in over 50,000 miles on the pacific, but I'm not nearly to that with just two years sailing this boat.

I should say, to sail down to Mexico is the easier part, and on the return, you are more challenged. To sail north requires some big port tacks of nearly a week each. To sail to Hawaii from the northwest, it's down the coast and westward from points south of Monterey where you hit the favorable trade winds. To return east from Hawaii us a different matter, and we sail north to find the winds and currently that will take us east towards Seattle. If we are totally becalmed we have the auxiliary diesel to motor our way out if it, but our range on motor alone is only about 1300 nautical miles unless we add some capacity. We run a Deutz diesel that is over 30 years old but just rebuilt. They are very tough so long as you give them clean fuel. So overall, it's a very sturdy boat of 25 T gross that will take you anywhere you are brave enough to point her. This coming season it's the northwest inside passages, but the tear after, I want to pint her towards the south seas with no particular plan.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Kradmelder wrote:Going to sea must be great if your boat can go significant distances. It really gets away from the crowd. Can you sail down to Mexico? the Pacific Coast must be so much less touristy than the Caribbean. what about going up the west coast of Canada to Alaska? all those remote coasts to land on.

A mate of mine, his son went off as crew for some large yacht owned by ceo of a multinational. He made a fair sum for a young man but ended up blowing it all on some girl he met. I bet lots of gold digger types hang out around yachts.

At least other people have interests beyond trolling for women in pick up bars or chinese/Russian women Internet sites :lol:
You are quite right. The west coast of the Americas has a lot to offer without the choking tourist traps of the overcrowded Caribbean. From Washington state, we have good cruising right at hand as well as the inland passage all the way up to Alaska. One can gunk hole their way up all the way or stop at any number of little fishing outposts on the coast of BC Canada on up to the Alaska panhandle. You meet other sailors but it's rarely a crowd and often vast, wild and remote. In winter, the place to go is south. The sea of Cortez is about 1000 miles long zone and compared to the north Pacific, easy and warm. There is also excellent whale watching activity and plenty of fishing. Our boat is very seaworthy, not at all dock jewelry, but a real sailors boat that is rugged enough to go anywhere on the planet. The man I purchased her from put in over 50,000 miles on the pacific, but I'm not nearly to that with just two years sailing this boat.

I should say, to sail down to Mexico is the easier part, and on the return, you are more challenged. To sail north requires some big port tacks of nearly a week each. To sail to Hawaii from the northwest, it's down the coast and westward from points south of Monterey where you hit the favorable trade winds. To return east from Hawaii is a different matter, and we sail north to find the winds and currently that will take us east towards Seattle. If we are totally becalmed we have the auxiliary diesel to motor our way out if it, but our range on motor alone is only about 1300 nautical miles unless we add some capacity. We run a Deutz diesel that is over 30 years old but just rebuilt. They are very tough so long as you give them clean fuel. So overall, it's a very sturdy boat of 25 T gross that will take you anywhere you are brave enough to point her. This coming season it's the northwest inside passages, but the year after, I want to point her towards the south seas with no particular plan.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Outwest, that sounds great! I can't understand why young men near you would not want to go on such a trip. Sailingn sounds great. My son would love it. Beginning of the year I took him on a bike trip over a mountain pass that is no longer maintained. An old voortrekker path long replaced by a tar road on a more accessible pass. You can go up only in a 4x4 as it is steep and very rocky and overgrown, with just two tyre tracks. You need ground clearance. But you can't drive down the other side due to fallen trees and road getting narrow due to collapse. You can by bike. He loved it, even though he had to get off and walk some really bad bits. Many places you can't stop as it is too steep and rocky. He learnt the joys of a bos kak :lol: A shit in the bush where you listen to a gurgling spring and the nature, and quickly wipe and bury before the flies get there :lol:

I was taking him to a mate who is a kayaker. He was taking my son down a river with rapids, fallen trees etc through a canyon. His son didnt want to go :shock: Urban kid who prefers malls etc. I told my son once you start you cannot come out again as their is only 1 place to exit. If you are burnt, tired, hungry thirsty etc there is no complaining and quitting. I went on my bike and took them food and water at the one exit point, which is where the river abuts against a farmers field without too steep a bank.

He really enjoyed that trip. He had done a 1 week canoe trip down the orange before, sleeping on the banks and cooking food they brought, but he said this was much tougher.

There is something in the psyche of white men that needs adventure to stay sane. Women and other races don't seem to have this need to the same extent. Without having some sort of get away adventure, men tend to get depressed and gloomy. It is food for the soul. If I try and explain to black people why I am there at all, in their areas and not in comfort on the tar roads they just cannot understand. They will just ask why doesn't a white man just drive in a comfortable car, or fly. The same would apply to sailing, mountain biking, canoeing etc. Almost all white men. If other races have spare cash they will use it for more comfort rather than for discomfort.

If I don't get on a bike for 2 days, I get edgy. Without regular long trips to remote areas I lose my inner joy. For biking, africa and russia seem to be the only places for many 1000s km of remote riding. Who wants towns everywhere with same franchise food and motels as the last town. Alaska and northern canada are too cold so the season too short. Australia the only place is the outback, which is all the same so gets boring. Plus all the enforcement of speed and road laws make it a biker hell hole. I like places where it is lawless and no one looking over your shoulder all the time for some infraction. A place where one can live as a Free White Man.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

I have seen sailors with bikes lashed in place on deck.
I don't know the details or practicality of using them when visiting other countries. Of course, for visits to Alaska or Hawaii it's not an issue, but I suspect some red tape on a visit to Mexico. We do keep a couple of kayaks on board as well as our regular tender. Some boats of our size or larger will run a dive compressor, but we don't have the need.

Right now can be a pretty good time to buy a boat as it's a buyer's market mostly, with a lot if boomers retiring from their boats and liquidating them just to get away from the maintenance and slip fees.

There is to sailing, some of the same feel you describe with biking in remote places. To sail into a bay with no one else in sight and glacier covered peaks not far from the shoreline is a beautiful kiind of freedom. It's addictive and it clears the mind.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

OutWest wrote:I have seen sailors with bikes lashed in place on deck.
I don't know the details or practicality of using them when visiting other countries. Of course, for visits to Alaska or Hawaii it's not an issue, but I suspect some red tape on a visit to Mexico. We do keep a couple of kayaks on board as well as our regular tender. Some boats of our size or larger will run a dive compressor, but we don't have the need.

Right now can be a pretty good time to buy a boat as it's a buyer's market mostly, with a lot if boomers retiring from their boats and liquidating them just to get away from the maintenance and slip fees.

There is to sailing, some of the same feel you describe with biking in remote places. To sail into a bay with no one else in sight and glacier covered peaks not far from the shoreline is a beautiful kiind of freedom. It's addictive and it clears the mind.
Why don't you take your kids on one of these trips? It sounds like it would be a great family thing, and your kids will remember it forever and have their eyes opened to what really matters in life. To see their reaction will multiply your joy 100 times.

My experience on bikes is take a woman and she will focus on the discomfort: she is too cold, too hot, wet, tired, the road is too rough, no toilet, no proper restaurant, her hair and me not letting her back loads of heavy bulky stuff like big make up bags and hair dryers etc. It is just low priority compared to spare tubes, air compressor, tyre levers etc. Take a kid and they will show amazement and appreciation and will remember it with gratitude for a lifetime. A kid will think wow my dad (or that man if not your kid) is so great and I want to be just like him. They will brag to whoever will listen about the opportunity they got. A woman will think what a tight-fisted arsehole for taking me to such places with no conveniences. He doesn't care about me...wakka wakka. Most women at least. It is the rare woman that will appreciate it and such a woman will ride herself. Trips with my son have always been memorable. Those where I took a woman, from plain unmemorable to a nagfest. And with women you always have to find decent accommodation each night. With a kid, even a backpackers and they are happy. Actually even happier as lots of youth around.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Kradmelder wrote:
OutWest wrote:I have seen sailors with bikes lashed in place on deck.

Why don't you take your kids on one of these trips? It sounds like it would be a great family thing, and your kids will remember it forever and have their eyes opened to what really matters in life. To see their reaction will multiply your joy 100 times.

My experience on bikes is take a woman and she will focus on the discomfort: she is too cold, too hot, wet, tired, the road is too rough, no toilet, no proper restaurant, her hair and me not letting her back loads of heavy bulky stuff like big make up bags and hair dryers etc. It is just low priority compared to spare tubes, air compressor, tyre levers etc. Take a kid and they will show amazement and appreciation and will remember it with gratitude for a lifetime. A kid will think wow my dad (or that man if not your kid) is so great and I want to be just like him. They will brag to whoever will listen about the opportunity they got. A woman will think what a tight-fisted arsehole for taking me to such places with no conveniences. He doesn't care about me...wakka wakka. Most women at least. It is the rare woman that will appreciate it and such a woman will ride herself. Trips with my son have always been memorable. Those where I took a woman, from plain unmemorable to a nagfest. And with women you always have to find decent accommodation each night. With a kid, even a backpackers and they are happy. Actually even happier as lots of youth around.

You are right, sailing is a family event. Mostly I have at least one of my kids or the whole family along. My motivation was what you speak of. I did not want them to think computer games and shopping malls were the real best parts of life.
My son is the biggest fan. When I unfurled a pirate flag and hung it from a spreader, he was hooked for life. My wife is actually learning a lot. My daughter is not as much a fan as my son, but she is noticing that none of her friends are doing such things and she is taking an increased interest.
Relatively speaking, even a smaller sailboat will have quite a bit of room, so it's family friendly. It may be why women do tend to like sailing. Our larger boat has a full head with shower, plenty of cargo room, a full galley kitchen and will sleep 8 plus a big open deck for lounging about with fair weather.Plenty of space for that makeup bag lol.
It really is an obtainable family activity. You can buy a lit of boat for about the price of a car and my first and smaller sailing boat is a Swedish made Albin Vega in good condition that i got for $7000. A large number of those have sailed all over the globe.
Boxman
Freshman Poster

Post by Boxman »

Russian1860 wrote:I won’t post any pictures on here, since I want to keep incognito at this forum.
Enough Yick & Ghost stories. :lol:
I have some other hobbies too, but I won’t tell about it.
Are you American? If so how are you treated in Russia? I want to go there but wonder if the aggressive foreign policy of my govt has completely ruined Russia for Americans. I'd consider it a miracle if the average Russian doesn't f*cking hate our guts by now.
Russian1860
Freshman Poster

Post by Russian1860 »

Boxman wrote:
Russian1860 wrote:I won’t post any pictures on here, since I want to keep incognito at this forum.
Enough Yick & Ghost stories. :lol:
I have some other hobbies too, but I won’t tell about it.
Are you American? If so how are you treated in Russia? I want to go there but wonder if the aggressive foreign policy of my govt has completely ruined Russia for Americans. I'd consider it a miracle if the average Russian doesn't f*cking hate our guts by now.
No, I am Russian. No worries, most Russians treat Americans well, because politics and interpersonal relationships are two different things. If you are a good guy, nationality doesn’t matter.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

OutWest wrote:

You are right, sailing is a family event. Mostly I have at least one of my kids or the whole family along. My motivation was what you speak of. I did not want them to think computer games and shopping malls were the real best parts of life.
My son is the biggest fan. When I unfurled a pirate flag and hung it from a spreader, he was hooked for life. My wife is actually learning a lot. My daughter is not as much a fan as my son, but she is noticing that none of her friends are doing such things and she is taking an increased interest.
Relatively speaking, even a smaller sailboat will have quite a bit of room, so it's family friendly. It may be why women do tend to like sailing. Our larger boat has a full head with shower, plenty of cargo room, a full galley kitchen and will sleep 8 plus a big open deck for lounging about with fair weather.Plenty of space for that makeup bag lol.
It really is an obtainable family activity. You can buy a lit of boat for about the price of a car and my first and smaller sailing boat is a Swedish made Albin Vega in good condition that i got for $7000. A large number of those have sailed all over the globe.
That is really quite cheap. Cheaper than a bike. Can buy it with just spare cash. The only problem is I am not close to the sea. My home town was close to the coast, and I really liked it there but my ex hated it. She wanted to be near her family. So we moved. Now I am a bit trapped until kids are grown and gone as I don't want to move away from them. I also have never sailed so don't know how. I ve been on normal power boats but I find that boring. Those cruise ships also look horrid. Sailing seems more my style: old fashioned.

Why would retiring boomers sell boats? It seems to me the time to have one. Retire, Get on your boat and just sail, spending months in different places. Of course you would need a sailboat large enough to be ocean going and live on for extended periods. You would be in no rush so a motor would just be for safety, not because you need to be somewhere by some day. And costs would be very low. No accomodation, travel is almost free etc. But I guess you would need a crew, so that may cost money.

Up the east coast of africa where it is tropical and stunning coast line, piracy is a problem. I wonder what the international laws are for sailing with weapons. Instead of raising the jolly rodger, raise the old SA Army flag and open up on the pirates :lol: The south coast has very rough seas, hence the large number of shipwrecks historically. More recent was that Greek cruise ship that foundered of the south eastern coast, famous for the Greek captain being the first to abandon ship.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Russian1860 wrote: No worries, most Russians treat Americans well,
As long as they are white? :lol:

Russia has a reputation for not liking the charnomadzji, nor tolerating their baboonish behaviour.

http://www.latimes.com/world/africa/la- ... story.html
http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/01/08/ ... le-travel/
http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/ ... BHHhvn5jb0

2 Africans Meet 2 Russians - Multicultural Exchange Ensues
image: http://edge.liveleak.com/80281E/u/u/ll2 ... o_icon.jpg
The exchange occurs outside club "Parnas" in Voronezh - a taxi driver refuses to take two drunk African students to their destination. Taxi driver tries to leave with other passengers - one of the Africans forgets where he is, while he attempts to stop the taxi. He is reminded by swift kicks to the head and some good advice for his friend.

Read more at
This may be just anti-russian propoganda to make them appear as racist. If they are racist like this and don't want blacks, then i like russians :D :D. Especially their crime prevention programme :lol:
Russian1860
Freshman Poster

Post by Russian1860 »

Kradmelder wrote: That is really quite cheap. Cheaper than a bike. Can buy it with just spare cash. The only problem is I am not close to the sea. My home town was close to the coast, and I really liked it there but my ex hated it. She wanted to be near her family. So we moved. Now I am a bit trapped until kids are grown and gone as I don't want to move away from them. I also have never sailed so don't know how. I ve been on normal power boats but I find that boring. Those cruise ships also look horrid. Sailing seems more my style: old fashioned.
I think, you are wrong, Kradmelder.

Outwest just didn’t mention boat maintenance expenses. On average, a one should consider at least 10% of the entire boat cost annually. When your rigging or engine wear out, it may add on top even much more expenses. It doesn’t include fuel, moorings, insurance, marinas etc.

27-ft Albin Vega at USD 7000 is a bargain and I believe, that some people managed to make a circumnavigation by that boat. Some heroes even managed to cross the ocean by dinghy. But it is very uncommon to use such boats for offshore sailing. A proper 40+ feet blue water yacht cost equals to a cost of a house in South Africa. Although it doesn’t mean that yachting is a hobby for well off people only. Many yachtsmen are not rich by any means. It is more than a hobby. It is rather a lifestyle for people who are obsesses with the ocean. So what some people spend on cars, house, entertainments, others may invest in their boat solely.

P.S. I am not a yachtsman, but I have some insight on this matter. Outwest can correct me if any.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Russian1860 wrote:
Kradmelder wrote: That is really quite cheap. Cheaper than a bike. Can buy it with just spare cash. The only problem is I am not close to the sea. My home town was close to the coast, and I really liked it there but my ex hated it. She wanted to be near her family. So we moved. Now I am a bit trapped until kids are grown and gone as I don't want to move away from them. I also have never sailed so don't know how. I ve been on normal power boats but I find that boring. Those cruise ships also look horrid. Sailing seems more my style: old fashioned.
I think, you are wrong, Kradmelder.

Outwest just didn’t mention boat maintenance expenses. On average, a one should consider at least 10% of the entire boat cost annually. When your rigging or engine wear out, it may add on top even much more expenses. It doesn’t include fuel, moorings, insurance, marinas etc.

27-ft Albin Vega at USD 7000 is a bargain and I believe, that some people managed to make a circumnavigation by that boat. Some heroes even managed to cross the ocean by dinghy. But it is very uncommon to use such boats for offshore sailing. A proper 40+ feet blue water yacht cost equals to a cost of a house in South Africa. Although it doesn’t mean that yachting is a hobby for well off people only. Many yachtsmen are not rich by any means. It is more than a hobby. It is rather a lifestyle for people who are obsesses with the ocean. So what some people spend on cars, house, entertainments, others may invest in their boat solely.

P.S. I am not a yachtsman, but I have some insight on this matter. Outwest can correct me if any.
I know all about hidden costs. New bike is R180 000 for top of the line adv bike. Insurance per bike each year is nearly R10 000. Rear tyre every 5000 km at R2700 per tyre, new gloves each year at least,R500 just for the synthetic racing oil at each oil change, etc etc. And they use as much fuel as a small car, or i have a heavy hand :lol: Basically, if you can't afford to buy the bike cash, you can't afford the hobby. If you want cheap travel buy a cheap chinese bike, but you won't do serious dirt travel on it. I once worked out expenses, direct and depreciation on kit etc, and a bike costs me more to run than my 4 x 4.

Ja i figure you need a bigger yacht to travel global, just like you can travel the world on a 125 motorcycle but it would be a PITA. Too big a bike is heavy and bad in rough terrain, just like too big a yacht would keep you out of small places nice to explore. There is always a right tool for the job and you need a few tools. No good mechanic relies only on a shifting spanner.

My thinking was if you go for the yacht life, sell the house. You wont be there anyway. That lump some of cash would get you a nice yacht and maybe running costs for at least a year? What yacht could you buy for like R2 million? That would be like $150 000.
Russian1860
Freshman Poster

Post by Russian1860 »

Kradmelder wrote: That lump some of cash would get you a nice yacht and maybe running costs for at least a year? What yacht could you buy for like R2 million? That would be like $150 000.
I think, a decent 40+ feet blue water yacht costs starting from USD 80 000 and up to infinity.
A yacht is not like a car, which depreciates every single year. 30 yo yacht could cost more, than similar length 10 yo one, depends on multiple characteristics, condition and equipment on board. You can always sell it, if you can’t afford to maintain it.

Regarding monthly budget of sailing, it depends on where you sail in the first place. Let’s say if you are crossing an ocean, there is nobody at all whom you can pay. If you cruise around Caribbean, you must pay at a port of entry every time you visit new island country. An anchorage sometimes is impossible, so you should stick to marinas, where you have to pay USD 50 per night or more. If you sail in a region with favorable winds, you can use the power of wind to move forward, if opposite, then you must use engine, which consumes 3 liter (0.8 gallon) per hour or more. You can eat out onshore or to cook on board. You can repair and service a yacht by yourself or can hire someone.

Outwest can give more accurate information.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Russian1860 wrote:
Kradmelder wrote: That lump some of cash would get you a nice yacht and maybe running costs for at least a year? What yacht could you buy for like R2 million? That would be like $150 000.
I think, a decent 40+ feet blue water yacht costs starting from USD 80 000 and up to infinity.
A yacht is not like a car, which depreciates every single year. 30 yo yacht could cost more, than similar length 10 yo one, depends on multiple characteristics, condition and equipment on board. You can always sell it, if you can’t afford to maintain it.

Regarding monthly budget of sailing, it depends on where you sail in the first place. Let’s say if you are crossing an ocean, there is nobody at all whom you can pay. If you cruise around Caribbean, you must pay at a port of entry every time you visit new island country. An anchorage sometimes is impossible, so you should stick to marinas, where you have to pay USD 50 per night or more. If you sail in a region with favorable winds, you can use the power of wind to move forward, if opposite, then you must use engine, which consumes 3 liter (0.8 gallon) per hour or more. You can eat out onshore or to cook on board. You can repair and service a yacht by yourself or can hire someone.

Outwest can give more accurate information.
Is 80k the cost of a brand new one?

No I will not ask Outwest. When he speaks he will get me hooked on sailing and I will start making plans to buy a yacht :lol:

I certainly would have no plans to go to a tourist yuppie place like the Caribbean. What would attract me far more are remote south atlantic islands or south pacific. The west coast of Canada sounds good, and the west coast of south america. Why do you think I rather bike across siberia than ride across europe :lol:

There is also this, which is probably easier to organise than siberia, and language wise, but I always wanted to cross Russia. Such trips are far better than travelling around the world for sex.
http://www.graveltravel.ca/index.php?op ... il&catid=1

Just the usual woman, kids, having to meet their needs etc prevented me from further travels after settling down.
Boxman
Freshman Poster

Post by Boxman »

Russian1860 wrote:No, I am Russian. No worries, most Russians treat Americans well, because politics and interpersonal relationships are two different things. If you are a good guy, nationality doesn’t matter.
Really? Your command of the English language is outstanding. What is the general sense among Russians when it comes to Americans? How could there not be at least a buried feeling of resentment? Russia, through virtually no fault of its own, is suffering the dual hardships of both war and sanctions thanks to the US govt. How does the average Russian feel about this?