You guys need to get out more

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
Russian1860
Freshman Poster

Re: You guys need to get out more

Post by Russian1860 »

Kradmelder wrote: Is 80k the cost of a brand new one?

No I will not ask Outwest. When he speaks he will get me hooked on sailing and I will start making plans to buy a yacht :lol:
Of course not! Kradmelder, yacht is not a car to buy a brand new one, unless you really can afford it.

To start sailing is easy. First you should pass RYA (Royal Yachting Association) or IYT (International Yacht Training) courses. I don’t know too much about IYT, since it is mostly American association, so I can tell you about RYA. But I think they are both pretty the same.

The first stage is called “competent crew”. You should find a skipper school in Cape town or Durban, accredited by RYA. The course consists of theory and practice at sea. You will get a basic knowledge how to handle sails, mooring assistance etc.

The next level is called “day skipper”. If you pass an exam after 5 days of practice at sea, you will be able to skipper a small yacht at coastal waters for a day cruise.

The next level course is called“coastal skipper”, which lasts another 5 days, and teaches you to manage a yacht at night. Then “yachtmaster offshore” which enables you to skipper a yacht wherever you want to. There are some additional courses, such as yachtmaster ocean, couch, instructor etc, but it is not necessary.

You should try to enroll at “competent crew” 5 days courses to understand for yourself, whether it is your destiny or not.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Russian1860 wrote:
Kradmelder wrote: That lump some of cash would get you a nice yacht and maybe running costs for at least a year? What yacht could you buy for like R2 million? That would be like $150 000.
I think, a decent 40+ feet blue water yacht costs starting from USD 80 000 and up to infinity.
A yacht is not like a car, which depreciates every single year. 30 yo yacht could cost more, than similar length 10 yo one, depends on multiple characteristics, condition and equipment on board. You can always sell it, if you can’t afford to maintain it.

Regarding monthly budget of sailing, it depends on where you sail in the first place. Let’s say if you are crossing an ocean, there is nobody at all whom you can pay. If you cruise around Caribbean, you must pay at a port of entry every time you visit new island country. An anchorage sometimes is impossible, so you should stick to marinas, where you have to pay USD 50 per night or more. If you sail in a region with favorable winds, you can use the power of wind to move forward, if opposite, then you must use engine, which consumes 3 liter (0.8 gallon) per hour or more. You can eat out onshore or to cook on board. You can repair and service a yacht by yourself or can hire someone.

Outwest can give more accurate information.
You are quite right, there is the cost of maintenance.
If you are able to do your own work, these costs can be greatly reduced. There are two reasons this is a good idea. First, you save quite a bit of money, as marine services and parts are typically overpriced. The second good reason to do it yourself us very practical- if you intend to sail far, it's a very good idea to become skilled at fixing anything and everything
Because you may be stuck in some remote place. You may buy a precut sail kit for perhaps a third of the price of the finished sail. You save some money and become skilled at repairs on sails.

The same kind of thing holds for rigging. Engines and hull maintenance. Some yards will allow do it yourself work in their yard. They will haul the boat out and out it on stands for you.

Overall, costs can vary from affordable to extravagant. There seems to be a boat for most budgets.
The $7000 dollar albin Vega I still have. It is a very capable coastal cruiser and it can actually be quite fast. I have put some into it, new rigging, I restepped the mast and reinforced the main bulkhead and pretty well replaced the little galley, yet for not so much money, it's a great little cruiser.

The family sized sloop is a different story. I could live on it for an extended period. Between slip fees, insurance and maintenance, about $1000 per month covers it.

Yes. There is no need for a new boat. Get a well maintained old tub with a proven track record owned by people who love her. They will know more about that boat than any salesman. You will also not need to pay the inflated
Price if a boat sold through a broker- just get a professional survey before you finalize the sale. My Colin Archer style boat
Is not some sexy dock jewelry type of yacht. I can't afford a million dollar boat. However, if you look up these kinds of boats, you will see how it is that this boat is more sea worthy than most boats out there. It's slow, but it WILL get there! It's diesel burns about 3 liters an hour if we have to use it. It costs me about $450 to fill it's tanks compared to the thousands of dollars many power boaters spend.

You are right....the sea becomes a passion. The sea covers more than 70% of the globe....it's your lover and the grim reaper. It is what part of it you make your own.
Russian1860
Freshman Poster

Post by Russian1860 »

Boxman wrote:
Russian1860 wrote:No, I am Russian. No worries, most Russians treat Americans well, because politics and interpersonal relationships are two different things. If you are a good guy, nationality doesn’t matter.
Really? Your command of the English language is outstanding. What is the general sense among Russians when it comes to Americans? How could there not be at least a buried feeling of resentment? Russia, through virtually no fault of its own, is suffering the dual hardships of both war and sanctions thanks to the US govt. How does the average Russian feel about this?
My English is far from perfect. I can speak and understand everything, but my vocabulary is limited, since it is not my native language. Occasionally I don’t know how to say a difficult word or term in english, and I have to look up in the dictionary. Sometimes I build sentences incorrectly, because I think in russian and I have to convert my thoughts into foreign language words. My grammar is imperfect as well.

Regarding the general sense, most people assess others according to their personal traits in the first place. Of course there are Russians who are biased, but they are absolute minority. A one could feel resentment towards specific person, who acts unfriendly, but only moron can throw a book at the whole nation. Furthermore as I said, politics and interpersonal relationships are different things. People can have different or even opposite political views and to be a friends at the same time. Believe me, Russians are a friendly nation. Look at Kramdmelder. He is biased in many ways, but still I consider him a good guy. Personal traits do matter, while creed might be just a shell.

If to speak about sanctions, both russian expats and nationals living at homeland are mostly patriots. When you respect your motherland, you are not inclined to complain and try to percieve everything in a positive way as much as possible. Actually that is wrong, but that’s how it is. My business is somewhat affected by sanctions, but I feel at ease. That’s life.
Russian1860
Freshman Poster

Post by Russian1860 »

OutWest wrote: You are quite right, there is the cost of maintenance.
If you are able to do your own work, these costs can be greatly reduced. There are two reasons this is a good idea. First, you save quite a bit of money, as marine services and parts are typically overpriced. The second good reason to do it yourself us very practical- if you intend to sail far, it's a very good idea to become skilled at fixing anything and everything
Because you may be stuck in some remote place. You may buy a precut sail kit for perhaps a third of the price of the finished sail. You save some money and become skilled at repairs on sails.

The same kind of thing holds for rigging. Engines and hull maintenance. Some yards will allow do it yourself work in their yard. They will haul the boat out and out it on stands for you.

Overall, costs can vary from affordable to extravagant. There seems to be a boat for most budgets.
The $7000 dollar albin Vega I still have. It is a very capable coastal cruiser and it can actually be quite fast. I have put some into it, new rigging, I restepped the mast and reinforced the main bulkhead and pretty well replaced the little galley, yet for not so much money, it's a great little cruiser.

The family sized sloop is a different story. I could live on it for an extended period. Between slip fees, insurance and maintenance, about $1000 per month covers it.

Yes. There is no need for a new boat. Get a well maintained old tub with a proven track record owned by people who love her. They will know more about that boat than any salesman. You will also not need to pay the inflated
Price if a boat sold through a broker- just get a professional survey before you finalize the sale. My Colin Archer style boat
Is not some sexy dock jewelry type of yacht. I can't afford a million dollar boat. However, if you look up these kinds of boats, you will see how it is that this boat is more sea worthy than most boats out there. It's slow, but it WILL get there! It's diesel burns about 3 liters an hour if we have to use it. It costs me about $450 to fill it's tanks compared to the thousands of dollars many power boaters spend.

You are right....the sea becomes a passion. The sea covers more than 70% of the globe....it's your lover and the grim reaper. It is what part of it you make your own.
You know what? I understand why Kradmelder told, that he is afraid to talk to you. Every single word spoken by you is full of passion and love towards the ocean and boats. It attracts. I have a lot of respect towards people who tied up their lives with such hostile element, as ocean. Sailing is not a “hobby just for fun”, it is a heavy manual labor, daring and striving for something unknown in the first place.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Nice to see some people here have other interests in travel besides just to stick your dick in some hole which usually isn't even white :lol:

I have always been a bush person to get away, rather than sea, hence my hobby. But I can see the attraction of sailing. The nature and isolation appeals to me. All boaters I have known have been power boats, which bore me as much as motorcycle clubs. They are image and social type things, so to be avoided for me. Sailing is free, like dirt riding. It appeals to the psyche of a free white man. It is in the blood. Away from image and out in nature.

There are differences. On a bike I can go out alone on long trips and have never been afraid to face the bush and the threat of accidents or blacks alone. Big groups are anathema. Solo is the most spiritually rewarding. I have fallen and been trapped under the bike with fuel leaking but I am able to get out and pick up a bike of over 250 kg with fuel and luggage. All that is needed is calm composure and strength. At the worst if I am injured some one will pass in a few days. I have water on my back and a firearm and biltong and a first aid kit in the tank bag. If I am injured bad then I have God. I have tracking on my phone so if I don't check in or don't move bike mates can see where I am. if I remember to turn on gps tracking :lol:

On a sail boat, is it possible to go alone? any accident it may be weeks, not days. No walking for help or water. No strength will help. No kaffirs to defend against with a firearm, but sharks :lol: And the sharks around here are effective as they are White. Great whites :lol: not lazy useless black things.

An adventure activity you can't do alone eventually limits you as you can only do it with like minded people. But sailing sounds awesome if it is global to remote places.
Boxman
Freshman Poster

Post by Boxman »

Russian1860 wrote:My English is far from perfect. I can speak and understand everything, but my vocabulary is limited, since it is not my native language. Occasionally I don’t know how to say a difficult word or term in english, and I have to look up in the dictionary. Sometimes I build sentences incorrectly, because I think in russian and I have to convert my thoughts into foreign language words. My grammar is imperfect as well.
Hah! Most Americans sound like 13-year olds when they post on forums and can't help but utterly butcher the English language. You're sound an English teacher in comparison.
Regarding the general sense, most people assess others according to their personal traits in the first place. Of course there are Russians who are biased, but they are absolute minority. A one could feel resentment towards specific person, who acts unfriendly, but only moron can throw a book at the whole nation. Furthermore as I said, politics and interpersonal relationships are different things. People can have different or even opposite political views and to be a friends at the same time. Believe me, Russians are a friendly nation. Look at Kramdmelder. He is biased in many ways, but still I consider him a good guy. Personal traits do matter, while creed might be just a shell.

If to speak about sanctions, both russian expats and nationals living at homeland are mostly patriots. When you respect your motherland, you are not inclined to complain and try to percieve everything in a positive way as much as possible. Actually that is wrong, but that’s how it is. My business is somewhat affected by sanctions, but I feel at ease. That’s life.
This pleases me. I really want to go to Russia in the near future; I'm particularly interested in the Black Sea coast. By the way, how do you manage with the sanctions (from a business perspective).
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Kradmelder wrote:Nice to see some people here have other interests in travel besides just to stick your dick in some hole which usually isn't even white :lol:

I have always been a bush person to get away, rather than sea, hence my hobby. But I can see the attraction of sailing. The nature and isolation appeals to me. All boaters I have known have been power boats, which bore me as much as motorcycle clubs. They are image and social type things, so to be avoided for me. Sailing is free, like dirt riding. It appeals to the psyche of a free white man. It is in the blood. Away from image and out in nature.

There are differences. On a bike I can go out alone on long trips and have never been afraid to face the bush and the threat of accidents or blacks alone. Big groups are anathema. Solo is the most spiritually rewarding. I have fallen and been trapped under the bike with fuel leaking but I am able to get out and pick up a bike of over 250 kg with fuel and luggage. All that is needed is calm composure and strength. At the worst if I am injured some one will pass in a few days. I have water on my back and a firearm and biltong and a first aid kit in the tank bag. If I am injured bad then I have God. I have tracking on my phone so if I don't check in or don't move bike mates can see where I am. if I remember to turn on gps tracking :lol:

On a sail boat, is it possible to go alone? any accident it may be weeks, not days. No walking for help or water. No strength will help. No kaffirs to defend against with a firearm, but sharks :lol: And the sharks around here are effective as they are White. Great whites :lol: not lazy useless black things.

An adventure activity you can't do alone eventually limits you as you can only do it with like minded people. But sailing sounds awesome if it is global to remote places.

There a large numbers that sail alone. Even a 40 footer can be set up to go single handed. Probably ideally for single handed sailing I would get something around 36 ft, but if you find an old Rawson 30 ft sloop, that boat can go anywhere also. As to being remote, unless you are making your transits far outside regular sea lanes,
it is most likely that you are not too far from rescue. If you have redundant communication, a SSB radio plus an irridium phone, you are sure to be heard if you need help. I think it rare that you are beyond a day or two away from help, or less. The sailors code is that you will drop everything and sail to give aid.

Just a couple of years ago, a young man sailed an Albin Vega in a non stop circumnavigation of the Americans. He sailed about 27,000 miles single handed non stop in 309 days. it is a record.For me, Im a social animal, so solo sailing would seem forlorn for me, but to some men it is wonderful.
I know of a young couple that bought an old C and C sloop in San Diego at an auction for about 3000. They were so idealistic. The cleaned it up with elbow grease and less than $1000 before they set sail with less than $1000 cash with them. They said they would work their way through the south seas. That sounds so unrealistic!
However, 2 years out, they are still in the south seas, working in tourist areas and living a poor but rich life. This is a spirit I admire.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Kradmelder wrote:Nice to see some people here have other interests in travel besides just to stick your dick in some hole which usually isn't even white :lol:

There are large numbers that sail alone. Even a 40 footer can be set up to go single handed. Probably ideally for single handed sailing I would get something around 36 ft, but if you find an old Rawson 30 ft sloop, that boat can go anywhere also. As to being remote, unless you are making your transits far outside regular sea lanes,
it is most likely that you are not too far from rescue. If you have redundant communication, a SSB radio plus an irridium phone, you are sure to be heard if you need help. I think it rare that you are beyond a day or two away from help, or less. The sailors code is that you will drop everything and sail to give aid.

Just a couple of years ago, a young man sailed an Albin Vega in a non stop circumnavigation of the Americans. He sailed about 27,000 miles single handed non stop in 309 days. it is a record.For me, Im a social animal, so solo sailing would seem forlorn for me, but to some men it is wonderful.
I know of a young couple that bought an old C and C sloop in San Diego at an auction for about 3000. They were so idealistic. The cleaned it up with elbow grease and less than $1000 before they set sail with less than $1000 cash with them. They said they would work their way through the south seas. That sounds so unrealistic!
However, 2 years out, they are still in the south seas, working in tourist areas and living a poor but rich life. This is a spirit I admire.
Russian1860
Freshman Poster

Post by Russian1860 »

Boxman wrote: This pleases me. I really want to go to Russia in the near future; I'm particularly interested in the Black Sea coast. By the way, how do you manage with the sanctions (from a business perspective).
My business field is affected by sanctions just indirectly. I have slightly less margin, simple as that.
Those industries, which were influenced by sanctions directly, try to redirect their outlets/purchases. It relates both to foreign and russian companies, since sanctions can’t be one sided. It harms both seller and buyer.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Outwest and Russian,

What would be the time frame to go from competent crew to the full ocean going skipper's licence and to have the necessary experience to attempt solo global navigation?

On a bike it takes about 2 years, and not 2 years of fair weather tar riding, to have the experience and skills to attempt solo off road expeditions in remote areas. That is why most crashes are in the first 2 years, or weekend riders. If I don't ride for 2 days I already notice I lost some of my edge where the bike is an extension of me. same on long trips. My first stretch of dirt after a month of no dirt it takes me a good 20 km to settle in and read the bike confidently. Just riding tar doesn't prepare you as any idiot can ride tar. It doesn't require the spectrum of technical skills needed for sand, mud, rocks, ruts, water crossings etc where you never have full traction and bike is always moving under you. Tar riders can't handle the squirminess and tend to brake instead of use throttle, which makes the bike wash out. I guess it would be like sailing on a lake would not prepare you for the rough seas and currents of ocean sailing, where the skills set is greatly multiplied. One is just the mechanical of sailing or riding, The other is mastering all the unknown obstacles coming at you and facing the risks alone, meaning you can't afford mistakes or disaster looms.

Unfortunately I am not in a position now to sail regular or attempt to pack up and f off for an extended period. Money is not an issue. It is time and location and family responsibilities. If sailing is anything like riding or shooting you need to do it regular to keep your skills levels or they degrade. I can see the attraction of it. It appeals to the fundamental nature of a free white man. Just farkin off on your horse or to sea has always been the outlet of free white men.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Russian1860 wrote:
Boxman wrote: This pleases me. I really want to go to Russia in the near future; I'm particularly interested in the Black Sea coast. By the way, how do you manage with the sanctions (from a business perspective).
My business field is affected by sanctions just indirectly. I have slightly less margin, simple as that.
Those industries, which were influenced by sanctions directly, try to redirect their outlets/purchases. It relates both to foreign and russian companies, since sanctions can’t be one sided. It harms both seller and buyer.
Once thing about sanctions is that it also boosts the local economy. Sanctions against SA led to a whole host of new industries, which today are world class, like arms, oil from coal, offshore gas etc. These would never have developed if overseas technology or equipment was available Exports also find loopholes. Gold and diamonds never stopped flowing out of SA since the greed of jews wins out over any sanctions. We had huge reserves of platinum and chrome, and with the USSR also closed off we had a monopoly. Even products like oranges, farmers stopped stamping Uitspan (SA oranges) on them and just stamped Jaffa (israeli oranges) and off they would go to be eaten by idiot in the west who would think they are sticking it to racist SA. Nartjies were relabeled clementines and idiots could eat them at anti-apartheid rallies in europe and america.

Explosives from the USA and Canada would be exported to their kosher countries, and be re-exported to SA. Same with the blockade against SA. Where do you think the argentinians got the missles that sank british ships. Courtesy of SA :D . Well the british want to fund, arm and help our enemies so what is good for the goose....
Russian1860
Freshman Poster

Post by Russian1860 »

Kradmelder wrote: Once thing about sanctions is that it also boosts the local economy. Sanctions against SA led to a whole host of new industries, which today are world class, like arms, oil from coal, offshore gas etc.
Yes, you are right. In long-term perspective sanctions boost local economy.
Kradmelder wrote: Outwest and Russian,

What would be the time frame to go from competent crew to the full ocean going skipper's licence and to have the necessary experience to attempt solo global navigation?
Actually you should address this question to Outwest solely. He is a skipper. I am not. I can help you with general information only.

Technically, you can get offshore skipper license within 2-3 months. You can find duration of training here:
http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDoc ... uising.pdf

But of course you need more practice to gain the experience. Some people buy own yacht right away and start to sail in coastal waters, making their cruises longer and more challenging little by little. The other solution – to charter a yacht. You can charter a yacht with a skipper, if you are not sure of your skills, or without, if you possess a license already. I am not sure about South Africa, since waters are rough there, but in some regions such as Mediterranean, Caribbean, Seychelles, French Polynesia etc, yacht charter is very popular. Let’s say, if you can’t charter a yacht in SA for some reason, you can simply come to Greece or Croatia to charter a boat there. It costs starting from USD 700 (ZAR 9700) per week for a 30 feet boat, excluding fuel and provision. Or starting from USD 1000 (ZAR 13800) per week for a 40 feet yacht. If you want a skipper to supervise you, he will cost you around USD 150 (ZAR 2000) per day.
For example: http://www.adriatic.hr/en/charter

So that to understand how much a yacht could cost, you can take a look here:
http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/listin ... PriceAsc|0

Copy-paste the whole link. For some reason, it doesn't work when you click on it.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Russian1860 wrote:
Kradmelder wrote: Once thing about sanctions is that it also boosts the local economy. Sanctions against SA led to a whole host of new industries, which today are world class, like arms, oil from coal, offshore gas etc.

Actually you should address this question to Outwest solely. He is a skipper. I am not. I can help you with general information only.

Technically, you can get offshore skipper license within 2-3 months. You can find duration of training here:

But of course you need more practice to gain the experience. Some people buy own yacht right away and start to sail in coastal waters, making their cruises longer and more challenging little by little. The other solution – to charter a yacht. You can charter a yacht with a skipper, if you are not sure of your skills, or without, if you possess a license already. I am not sure about South Africa, since waters are rough there, but in some regions such as Mediterranean, Caribbean, Seychelles, French Polynesia etc, yacht charter is very popular. Let’s say, if you can’t charter a yacht in SA for some reason, you can simply come to Greece or Croatia to charter a boat there. It costs starting from USD 700 (ZAR 9700) per week for a 30 feet boat, excluding fuel and provision. Or starting from USD 1000 (ZAR 13800) per week for a 40 feet yacht. If you want a skipper to supervise you, he will cost you around USD 150 (ZAR 2000) per day.

Copy-paste the whole link. For some reason, it doesn't work when you click on it.
Thanks but charter would defeat the purpose for me as I see it as means to get away, and it would months. Costs to charter would be too high and would ruin the privacy. By duration I was thinking not the course but the time to get the experience and proficiency to be capable of going by myself. A bike course is 2 days. Experience is 2 years. I am sure sailing must be similar. Book learning and actually being able to master all situations are different things. I have no interest in the med or Carribean on a charter from one yuppie place to the next, What Outwest says about the west coast of Canada and remote villages sounds more my style.

I wonder if the Somali pirates accept applications from whites to get some on the job training :D :lol:
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Kradmelder wrote:
Russian1860 wrote:

Thanks but charter would defeat the purpose for me as I see it as means to get away, and it would months. Costs to charter would be too high and would ruin the privacy. By duration I was thinking not the course but the time to get the experience and proficiency to be capable of going by myself. A bike course is 2 days. Experience is 2 years. I am sure sailing must be similar. Book learning and actually being able to master all situations are different things. I have no interest in the med or Carribean on a charter from one yuppie place to the next, What Outwest says about the west coast of Canada and remote villages sounds more my style.

I wonder if the Somali pirates accept applications from whites to get some on the job training :D :lol:
In the US, skippering requirements are quite lax unless you are putting the boat for hire, at which point t you must be Coast Guard certified.
The catch is, if you are buyiing a boat with financing, or if you are chartering a bare boat, they will want to see evidence of your experience xz certifications or at least, log time that is verifiable .
Additionally, even with your own boat, most marinas will require proof of at least
Liability insurance and depending on your relationship with your insurance company and the size/value of the boat zone they may want to see evidence of your competence.

However, if you just go and cash out a modest boat and get a basic state boaters certificate, you are free to go as you wish. Get at least liability insurance and teach yourself...take it out every weekend with a more experienced fellow and you will catch on fast.

Here is an example of a very seaworthy affordable boat that is a good value- a cruiser that is also blue water capable.
[ https://bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/5806979833.html ]
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

I asked a colleague today at a pub lunch. he has power boats and a boat shop. we are on the British system Russia described. he has a skippers licence for inland and coastal. he said no way to get started without the right certification. he just has boats on local dams and sometimes does lagoons. No open sea and no sailing.That type of boating towing your boat on a trailer is not for me.

his description of fuel consumption is high. like huge amounts. then again his speeds are far above a sail boat. 3 litres per hour is nothing. I can burn double that or more on a bike. he has 2 boats but I have only seen this rubber duck looking thing with twin motors and a console. his other boat is bigger. he talks more like 30 litres per hour but maybe I got it wrong. he mentioned rand per hour.

boating would only be of interest to me as open sea to remote places and like minimum 1 week trip. I would prefer people but given my situation most of it would be solo. I don't want to rely on people.

seasickness. is it an issue for solo saiLing? and do you do when you must sleep or make food or have a shit etc
sorry for curt sentences. cell phone