Tony Robbins Exposed - Is Life Coaching a Scam?

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Tony Robbins Exposed - Is Life Coaching a Scam?

Post by Mr S »

Read this article and watch the documentary, it's very interesting.

http://jasonconnell.co/tony/

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP7w1sQa4ds[/youtube]
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Re: Tony Robbins I Am Not Your Guru

Post by Voyager1 »

I didn't realize he was such a cusser. TR is a mix between psychic healer, travelling evangelist and charlatan. He has a whole bag of tricks up his sleeves. Oh yeah it's $4,995 "to attend Robbins’s annual Date With Destiny seminar, which takes place over six intensive days."
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Tony Robbins Exposed - I Am Not Your Guru

Post by Adama »

I listened to Anthony Robbins' Hour of Power. It sounded so exciting and I was looking forward to doing it myself. Then I realized it for what it is: demonic worship, similar to yoga. Repeating the same phrase over and over in vain repetition, and repeating the same motion over and over causes a person to fall into a trance state.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

LOL..Told ya so...a million years back...I called on this guy...many many times already :lol: :lol:
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

It feels like an Amway pitch. I've had people try to pitch me on Amway and other MLMs. What I hate is if they start off talking about wanting to help me fulfill my dreams, etc. I don't want someone to sell me a dream. Show me the business model and the math for how the business works. Some MLMs obscure all that behind some unclear point system. Maybe it's so you will focus on the dreams and how great the products are, instead of how expensive it is to start up in comparison to the pennies you make until you get $5,000 people in your downline. The real money in MLMs is made by the people who actually own the company and get the benefits of all the free labor and the profits from the starter kids. Some people who are good at running a business and building a downline make some money at it.

Tony Robbins seems to me to be one of those people selling a dream. As far as confidence goes, I can find a dozen of free videos or cheap books on not self-sabatoging. Some of it might be worth something in improving myself. But again, I'd rather have something real, some real skill set. A janitor is not going to make millions of dollars by looking into himself to motivate himself to mop better. He needs some skills to improve that area of his life.

I read the complaints and saw the bit about the pretty woman raised in a child molestation cult. Yeah, it's reckless to have people tell that stuff in front of everyone. Some man there might know how to game a vulnerable woman like that. He takes the guy who has a wimpy speech about his goals by the neck and pretends he's a lion looking at his own reflection. The poor guy is going along with it while he's being manhandled and treated disrespectfully by this huge guy. He couldn't speak well, so Tony Robbins has him 'roar' and he really roars loud. His wife loves it, as if all her hopes and dreams for her husband were being accomplished.

And they treat this like it's a religion. It's like some kind of weird religious service where he is the guru to give them some kind of spiritual power. They experience some kind of catharsis, and after they cathart all over the place, I guess the buy more books. I didn't know he cussed all the time before this thread. I can't take a life coach type person seriously if he throws around the F-word like that. It's just unprofessional and it sounds ignorant. Maybe I'm old school. I don't like men talking like that especially in front of the ladies. And if they do that around my kids, it can make me angry. I noticed one of the guys at his rally who had a lot of emotion, but less content than Robbins was using the F-word a lot.

This is like some kind of humanistic religion, too. Maybe people who don't have a real religion want something to fill that religious void, so they find a humanistic philosophy to latch on to that satisfies some emotional need they feel for a religious experience.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Can someone summarize the video or article? I thought Tony Robbins was squeaky clean? No one seemed to ever criticize him before. Supposedly the man has a lot of accomplishments - he is successful in business, a black belt in karate, a helicopter pilot, etc. Is Tony Robbins all about how the power of your thoughts and beliefs can change your life, blah blah blah? Does he teach anything different than the rest? Or is it typical New Age claptrap about believing yourself and using thoughts to change your reality, etc? All New Age and self-improvement gurus say that. What's new? I guess the difference is in the way it's packaged.

Sure there's some truth in New Age and self-improvement teachings. There's truth in everything, even in the Bible and the Book of Mormon and the Koran. But the New Age industry exaggerates and commercializes it too much, as if thoughts and beliefs have unlimited power and we are all Gods and just need to unleash our true power, etc. It becomes a cult and religion with extreme claims and extreme beliefs.

Tony Robbins reminds me of Mark Davis, though Robbins has been famous for decades before Mark came onto the scene. Both charge $5,000 for what they offer. What a coincidence. I wonder if $5,000 is some magic number in the self-improvement industry, perhaps it has occult powers. One would have to study gematria and numerology to know. Possibly even the Kabbalah. lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Mr S,
That documentary is very pro Tony Robbins. Why did you post it under a critical article of him? I don't get it.

It looks like Robbins is about reprogramming your subconscious mind. That's a good idea in theory, but very difficult and slow in practice. Even if we could do that, still, human imperfections and frailties and character flaws always mess us up.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Winston wrote:Can someone summarize the video or article? I thought Tony Robbins was squeaky clean? No one seemed to ever criticize him before. Supposedly the man has a lot of accomplishments - he is successful in business, a black belt in karate, a helicopter pilot, etc. Is Tony Robbins all about how the power of your thoughts and beliefs can change your life, blah blah blah? Does he teach anything different than the rest? Or is it typical New Age claptrap about believing yourself and using thoughts to change your reality, etc? All New Age and self-improvement gurus say that. What's new? I guess the difference is in the way it's packaged.

Sure there's some truth in New Age and self-improvement teachings. There's truth in everything, even in the Bible and the Book of Mormon and the Koran. But the New Age industry exaggerates and commercializes it too much, as if thoughts and beliefs have unlimited power and we are all Gods and just need to unleash our true power, etc. It becomes a cult and religion with extreme claims and extreme beliefs.

Tony Robbins reminds me of Mark Davis, though Robbins has been famous for decades before Mark came onto the scene. Both charge $5,000 for what they offer. What a coincidence. I wonder if $5,000 is some magic number in the self-improvement industry, perhaps it has occult powers. One would have to study gematria and numerology to know. Possibly even the Kabbalah. lol
Come, on...It only takes 10 or less minutes to read the article depending on whether you want to think through the words or skim through them.

In regards to the video you can play it at 1.5 or 2x the speed and still understand everything going on, just use headphones rather than external speakers. You can also download a decent version from the bittorent sites that have the full text along with the video in English if that makes it easier to follow at a faster speed.

I'll comment more in depth about what I think about him when I have more time to rather than just on the fly...
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Winston wrote:Mr S,
That documentary is very pro Tony Robbins. Why did you post it under a critical article of him? I don't get it.

It looks like Robbins is about reprogramming your subconscious mind. That's a good idea in theory, but very difficult and slow in practice. Even if we could do that, still, human imperfections and frailties and character flaws always mess us up.
Um, so you can critically analyze what the author is talking about rather than just taking his word on blind faith. Of course the documentary is pro Robbins because he had to approve it and probably funded it as well to promote his image and business.

For one to critically analyze marketing BS, you have to look at all angles of it including the actual product promoted by the individual or business.

I'm not for Tony and never fell for him. I just happened to stumble upon this article and felt it was a decent written one exposing people like him, using various mind and emotional games to play ooops, I mean 'fix or cure' their 'clients' or 'audience' and how mass numbers of people fall for this stuff. The posting just gives critical independent thinkers a chance to analyze and dissect what he is preaching and selling so that they can come to their own conclusions about him rather than some others doing it for them or falling for typical mainstream positive marketing brain manipulation tactics.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

Mark Davis, who claims to be a Christian, who claims to be a preacher's son is a follower of this guy.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Dr. Todd Grande evaluates Tony Robbins and his methods.

This video attempts to answer the questions: Is Tony Robbins of fraud? Did Tony Robbins go too far in giving mental health advice? Does Tony Robbins believe that emotional abuse isn’t real? Tony Robbins is an extremely popular life coach who gives advice on a wide range of subjects including finance, physical fitness, mental health, and relationships. BuzzFeed news reported allegations from staff and customers indicating that Tony Robbins harassed and otherwise abused them. I offer a critical analysis of the allegations and of his role as a life coach versus the role of mental health professional.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I don't get the appeal of Tony Robbins. What does he do for you? How does he solve your problems? By telling you to think positive and unleash your inner potential and create your own reality and master your own life and confidence? Anyone can say that though. How does that make you happy or solve your problems? I don't get it. What's the appeal? How does he change lives? Does he really change lives or just makes people feel motivated only? It's all very weird and cultish.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Tony Robbins Exposed - Is Life Coaching a Scam?

Post by Winston »

Dr. Todd Grande analyzes the question: Is life coaching a scam?

This video answers the questions: Is life coaching a scam? How does it relate to counseling? Should I become a life coach or should I become a counselor? What can I expect to get from life coaching? Is it a substitute for counseling? When we talk about life coaching one of the difficulties here is there's no real single definition for this construct. Life coaching is an unregulated field, so anyone with or without training can go out at any time and open up a life coaching business as long as they're in line with other applicable laws. There are no laws that I'm aware of that regulate life coaching. Counseling is regulated. Counselors at some point, we would hope, achieve level of licensure and that's the level where they can bill insurance companies. They have other certain rights and privileges like the ability to diagnose.
They go through certain steps like education, testing, and postgraduate supervision to make sure they reach a level of competency. None of those safeguards exist in life coaching. Just because something's not regulated doesn't automatically make it a scam, but it certainly makes it more vulnerable to be a scam in any particular instance.