The Illusion of the 40 Hour Work Week

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

The Illusion of the 40 Hour Work Week

Post by jamesbond »

Ever feel like you do not have enough time to yourself when you are working a full time job? It's not just 40 hours a week, you need to add in one hour commute time to work and one hour commute time coming home from work. Also add in one hour for lunch. If you have to work overtime, it's more like a 60 to 70 hour work week.

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The Illusion of the 40 Hour Work Week

Post by publicduende »

jamesbond wrote:
April 22nd, 2018, 8:24 am
Ever feel like you do not have enough time to yourself when you are working a full time job? It's not just 40 hours a week, you need to add in one hour commute time to work and one hour commute time coming home from work. Also add in one hour for lunch. If you have to work overtime, it's more like a 60 to 70 hour work week.
That's true. And if you start adding all the time and money investment you have to pour into keeping your skills up to speed, including stuff (practices, technologies, tools, etc.) that you may never use in your daily job, then it becomes pretty much a 70/80 hour work a week.

Nothing new under the sun, after all. I think the trick is to choose a profession or an activity you enjoy doing, The only way to feel the burden of work/continuous development a wee bit lighter.