Philippines Soon To Join Tiger Economies

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Philippines GDP is currently ranked 46th in the world, by 2020 its projected to be 16th.

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/ph-soon-to-joi ... xpert.html

Philippines - Highest Business Sentiment in Asia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuyMwoo_5wM
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

The Philippines will never be as economically advanced as the rest of East Asia due to massive corruption, poor education, overpopulation, and bureaucracy. That, and the the Filipinos are not as hard-working and entrepreneurial as the more prosperous Asians. I doubt the Philippines will ever reach developed status in my lifetime...
samurai_panda
Freshman Poster

Post by samurai_panda »

The Philippines will never be as economically advanced as the rest of East Asia due to massive corruption, poor education, overpopulation, and bureaucracy. That, and the the Filipinos are not as hard-working and entrepreneurial as the more prosperous Asians. I doubt the Philippines will ever reach developed status in my lifetime...
Zboy is right. Filipinos are really simple-minded people. They like drink, gamble, and chase chicks. Their work ethic is non-existent compared to their northern Asian neighbors. The Koreans are setting up businesses and communities here in philippines. They are staying long-term because of cheap living costs and escaping military service.

Koreans work hard and have high-speed fiber optic technology. Hopefully Koreans can upgrade filipino infrastructure.

Filipinos aren't entirely f***ed. Oh wait, yes they are.
TRADER1972
Freshman Poster

Re: Philippines Soon To Join Tiger Economies

Post by TRADER1972 »

Taco wrote:Philippines GDP is currently ranked 46th in the world, by 2020 its projected to be 16th.

I seriously doubt it. Corruption is way too entrenched.
I would rather make $2000 a month working for myself, then $4000 a month working for a bitch.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

samurai_panda wrote:
Zboy is right. Filipinos are really simple-minded people. They like drink, gamble, and chase chicks. Their work ethic is non-existent compared to their northern Asian neighbors. The Koreans are setting up businesses and communities here in philippines. They are staying long-term because of cheap living costs and escaping military service.

Koreans work hard and have high-speed fiber optic technology. Hopefully Koreans can upgrade filipino infrastructure.

I get the points ou guys are making....

But how is it that Brazil, with all those happy-go-lucky, ass-shaking party-goers, is an economic powerhouse? Are you sure that Flips' lack of seriousness and diligence really dooms them to poverty?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

samurai_panda wrote:

Yeah okay they can't catch up to East Asia. But could they catch up to Mexico?
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

Jester wrote:
samurai_panda wrote:

But how is it that Brazil, with all those happy-go-lucky, ass-shaking party-goers, is an economic powerhouse? Are you sure that Flips' lack of seriousness and diligence really dooms them to poverty?
Answer is Brazil has all of those natural resources so it was only a matter of time before they properly managed their assets. I don't see Phils growing into a worldwide economic powerhouse any time soon. The others are correct, the Filipino government is too corrupt and they fully intend on keeping the general population as ignorant as possible. Philippines brightest normally find a way to leave Phils.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

pete98146 wrote:
Jester wrote:
samurai_panda wrote:

Answer is Brazil has all of those natural resources so it was only a matter of time before they properly managed their assets. I don't see Phils growing into a worldwide economic powerhouse any time soon. The others are correct, the Filipino government is too corrupt and they fully intend on keeping the general population as ignorant as possible. Philippines brightest normally find a way to leave Phils.
Hmmmmm........

So if I'm a bright, ambitious, demanding-of-myself but tolerant-and-easygoing-with-others guy, working online, do you not recommend I go there, fool around, build a family?

Does "one foot in" the place work........ for the next generation?

OK to do so, just maintain a second passport for me and kids?

Or huge mistake - doomed nation like U.S.?
TRADER1972
Freshman Poster

Post by TRADER1972 »

Filipinos here in the US sometimes wonder why anyone would ever go back there to even visit! I was told this before!
I would rather make $2000 a month working for myself, then $4000 a month working for a bitch.
TRADER1972
Freshman Poster

Post by TRADER1972 »

Jester wrote:
pete98146 wrote:
Jester wrote:
samurai_panda wrote:

Hmmmmm........

So if I'm a bright, ambitious, demanding-of-myself but tolerant-and-easygoing-with-others guy, working online, do you not recommend I go there, fool around, build a family?

Does "one foot in" the place work........ for the next generation?

OK to do so, just maintain a second passport for me and kids?

Or huge mistake - doomed nation like U.S.?
Filipinos are not serious enough for them to ever "boom" like China, etc.
But if you have income or an internet business and like Filipina p***y its a good place. The heat can be too much, never been there in the rainy season. Baguio is the most comfortable due to its elevation and better air quality and less poor people.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

TRADER1972 wrote:
Jester wrote:
pete98146 wrote:
Jester wrote:
samurai_panda wrote: Filipinos are not serious enough for them to ever "boom" like China, etc.
But if you have income or an internet business and like Filipina p***y its a good place. The heat can be too much, never been there in the rainy season. Baguio is the most comfortable due to its elevation and better air quality and less poor people.
Thanks
davewe
Experienced Poster

Re: Philippines Soon To Join Tiger Economies

Post by davewe »

Taco wrote:Philippines GDP is currently ranked 46th in the world, by 2020 its projected to be 16th.

This report certainly does not indicate that the Philippines is gonna be an economic powerhouse. But there are a few facts to consider:

1. PI has the 12th largest population in the world, yet the 46th largest GDP.
2. The population is growing quickly; it has quadrupled in the last 50 years.
3. The current PI GDP growth rate is 3.7%, which puts is ahead of plenty of countries at least in terms of annual growth.

Conclusion: Combine quickly rising population with a decent annual GDP growth and its not impossible for the PI to grow to 16th. After all with the 12th largest population, the 16th largest GDP would still not be very prosperous.
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

As someone from Manila, solid upper-class living in the USA solid middle-class lol, I "feel" this country is now conditioned for growth.

A subtle change you guys might not pick-up is the overall change in way of thinking of the average Filipinos. There is organization now and (aghast) optimism among the societal elites spreading to the middle class. Surprisingly, there is now chatter that real growth is occurring in the mind.

Hard for you to fathom, but this society can easily swing dictatorship like we did Pres. Marcos era. I think unleashing male power here could have Suharto like consequences. Filipino-psychology especially the males lies in ruthlessness and tribal and highly defensive autocratic modes of thinking. The country is in female mode right now.

Technically speaking, the problem at the moment is population -- specifically CATHOLISM and their stance against reproductive health.

This is basically an issue of a cultural shift as the country progresses towards the new.

This religion is the institution that keeps the women feminine and the values intact in this society. Sadly, as the economy goes into the future (the next gen is not religious anymore find study), progress will replace religion and feminism and great deal of the westernization will occur -- the bubble will pop.. soon but not now.

Enjoy it while it is still there!
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

The Philippines, due to their lack of emphasis on education and a generally ambivalence towards capitalism, will never achieve the economic activity of the other Asian tiger economies; but, maybe that is good in a way, because capitalism does tend to bring out the worst aspects of society like materialism, greed, and feminist equality to economically developed countries.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

The development is evident in the kind of women that engage in bar trade/erotic dancing and other such red light endeavors. Some 10 years ago, you could see very pretty women in that type of industry and now it is mostly ageing single mothers and very unattractive women period. The bars take anyone now, as long as they are under 32 years old. This shows that pretty girls now have other alternatives.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!