Only the rich are middle class

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Only the rich are middle class

Post by Cornfed »

Article pointing out that only the top 20% would be regarded as middle class by traditional standards. The bottom 80% of the population would now be considered working class or poor.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-05-0 ... -lifestyle

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

The money multipliers are the main cause of all the acceleration of this phenomenon at such a record pace.
Time to Hide!
HappyGuy

Re: Only the rich are middle class

Post by HappyGuy »

How does the updated picture look?
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Cornfed wrote:
May 21st, 2014, 8:10 pm
Article pointing out that only the top 20% would be regarded as middle class by traditional standards. The bottom 80% of the population would now be considered working class or poor.

I wonder what these figures look like now after the economic collapse due to the coronavirus. :shock:
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

jamesbond wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 1:54 pm
Cornfed wrote:
May 21st, 2014, 8:10 pm

I wonder what these figures look like now after the economic collapse due to the coronavirus. :shock:
There is no agreement on what is considered middle class in the United States and 90% of Americans consider themselves middle class which is laughable. However, most sociologists and economists consider college education to be the most definitive factor.

Their definition of middle class in the linked article is WAY off. What they actually defined is UPPER middle class. Middle class is far less about income and wealth than it is primarily about educational level, value system, and behavioral indicators.

Moreover, they only considered INCOME instead of wealth in their calculus. Many high-income people live paycheck to paycheck and will never be middle class for a variety of reasons.

So if 20% of Americans are UPPER middle class as they reported, that is astoundingly good.
Last edited by Contrarian Expatriate on April 12th, 2020, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 4:09 pm
Their definition of middle class is WAY off. What they defined is UPPER middle class.
It is now - that is the point. 40 years ago their definition of middle class would be generally accepted.