Banking in the Philippines

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
In2dadark
Freshman Poster

Banking in the Philippines

Post by In2dadark »

Did a search & came up w/ nothing... Is there a sticky on this topic somewhere (here), that I'm missing?
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

I'm not exactly sure of your question.

Are you wanting to know about opening up a checking and/or savings account in the country or simply about which banks take international cards?

Or do you mean something else?
In2dadark
Freshman Poster

Post by In2dadark »

Thanks for the response. Sorry for the being vague. I've been researching this for about an hour now. Best travel card I've found is the one below. A 3k spend in 90 days nets you a 400 statement credit on any travel charges.

So, looks like a good one to use to buy an airline ticket. Think I've found a lot of the other answers; and I see another thread has popped up if you all want to merge?

http://www.barclaycardarrival.com/arriv ... card&pmt=p
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Do you need to reside in the Philippines to open up a bank account there? I'm guessing yes.
In2dadark
Freshman Poster

Post by In2dadark »

There is a Philippine bank you can open up an account w/ from the U.S. ( & other places, I imagine); but they only have branches in NYC & the other was in Cali. If I run across that again, I'll link. From what I can see, the PDIC (?) only insures up to 10,000 U.S or the Peso equvalent. Correct me if I'm wrong. I doubt I'd even post up that much there (just to be safe), unless there is a visa bene to doing so. I believe the bar is lower than that for the visa bene?