Russia ETF?

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Russia ETF?

Post by fschmidt »

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=RSX

I will look into this next week. It is really beaten down. Any thoughts on this investment?
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Russia ETF?

Post by gsjackson »

I'm thinking about investing some money in Russia. Doug Casey's "crisis investor" rag wants 200 bucks to tell me where, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. But I do believe Russia is on the side of the angels right now, and will grow stronger from the pressure being applied by Uncle Bully and his EU lackeys. It is a country with a future.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

fschmidt wrote:http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=RSX

I will look into this next week. It is really beaten down. Any thoughts on this investment?
Upsides:
Oil
Russia
Non-Dollar-Based Currency
Low P/E
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Jester wrote:
fschmidt wrote:http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=RSX

Upsides:
Oil
Russia
Non-Dollar-Based Currency
Low P/E
If you are OK with Russian accounting standards...Lol.
True....the angels are on the side of Russia...and in this case they happen to be the 100 oligarchs who function as Putin's pets while they loot the country.

There are far better choices...fools and money...
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

OutWest wrote:True....the angels are on the side of Russia...and in this case they happen to be the 100 oligarchs who function as Putin's pets while they loot the country.
It's amazing how Americans abuse the English language. Oligarchy means a small group that rules, so oligarchs, by definition, can't be the ruler's pets. The Russian business elite are called oligarchs because Americans seem to enjoy abusing the meaning of words (just like calling drug gangs "cartels"). However there is a good example of a real oligarchy in the world today. That is America where the bankers really are an oligarchy, and the politicians are their pets. And unlike the Russian business elite whose plunder of the country is limited by Putin, the American banking oligarchy is plundering America without restraint.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

fschmidt wrote:
OutWest wrote:True....the angels are on the side of Russia...and in this case they happen to be the 100 oligarchs who function as Putin's pets while they loot the country.
It's amazing how Americans abuse the English language. Oligarchy means a small group that rules, so oligarchs, by definition, can't be the ruler's pets. The Russian business elite are called oligarchs because Americans seem to enjoy abusing the meaning of words (just like calling drug gangs "cartels"). However there is a good example of a real oligarchy in the world today. That is America where the bankers really are an oligarchy, and the politicians are their pets. And unlike the Russian business elite whose plunder of the country is limited by Putin, the American banking oligarchy is plundering America without restraint.
...my point is...give them your money NOW! Please hurry!
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

This is not the time to invest in Russia. Russia is suffering from a plummeted Ruble, international commerce sanctions, and a recession looming next year.

Those, in themselves, would not be the problem. The problem is that Russia is planning to possibly take more former Soviet territory around its border since they have little to lose at this point. If that happens, you would likely lose money for a long period of time due to the fallout.

If Crimea is returned and the price of oil goes back up to to near 85 or 90 dollars a barrel, jump back in.....
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:This is not the time to invest in Russia. Russia is suffering from a plummeted Ruble, international commerce sanctions, and a recession looming next year.

Those, in themselves, would not be the problem. The problem is that Russia is planning to possibly take more former Soviet territory around its border since they have little to lose at this point. If that happens, you would likely lose money for a long period of time due to the fallout.

If Crimea is returned and the price of oil goes back up to to near 85 or 90 dollars a barrel, jump back in.....
+1. My guess is that you actually DO have
Money in play...and you did not get there by being a fool.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

I agree that there are risks. I decided that I will buy if the yield gets to 5%.