Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.





View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Slick
Freshman Poster
Posts: 149
Joined: February 24th, 2016, 6:50 am

College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Post by Slick » May 1st, 2016, 7:04 pm

You spend 30k-40k to get an expensive degree then you're either unemployed or stuck working at a big box store for barely above minimum wage. How does people see that as ethical? It is borderline fraud. I highly suspect that colleges make a killing off tuition and course credits. No one high up cares about the students or the fact that their profit driven motives behind accreditation are completely oversaturating the market. They are busy making obscene amounts of money at the expense of their student's futures.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Re: College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Post by Jester » May 1st, 2016, 7:27 pm

Yes

Accreditation is required to get the loan
So you cant say go to photography school
It has to be Big Name U

THEN they tell you you have to take a bunch of economically useless General Ed courses the first 2 years (3 years in California, due to crowding)

AND if you get discouraged or want to try a different path you CANT
Because after 6 months out of school the DEBT REPAYMENT commences
So even if the light is dawning, even if doubts are growing, you have no choice but to KEEP ON ACCRUING NEW DEBT, because NOONE will offer you a job (or so you are told) without that absolutely worthless piece of paper

And on it goes

YES it's a scam, for most.

Some people see their way through, just like some people escape from prison.

But don't go there without a plan, helping you succeed out of pure altruism is not on the menu.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."

User avatar
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 8386
Joined: August 25th, 2007, 6:45 pm
Location: USA

Re: College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Post by jamesbond » May 1st, 2016, 7:31 pm

College is a scam and a waste of time and money, more and more people are coming out and saying this. Here are some good videos talking about what a scam college is.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V122ICNS8_0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBDRrKIMHGo[/youtube]
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."

innovatorsclub
Freshman Poster
Posts: 105
Joined: September 4th, 2012, 9:14 pm
Location: san francisco

Re: College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Post by innovatorsclub » May 1st, 2016, 7:52 pm

I said this before just about anyone in 1995 when it wasn't popular..My ex listened to me took 5 tech classes including Java at a community college and is still in tech today ( and she bought her first house with me at age 20..a few years ago i created this page

https://www.facebook.com/College-Conspi ... ?ref=br_rs

User avatar
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 5945
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 2:23 am
Contact:

Re: College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Post by Ghost » May 1st, 2016, 9:41 pm

A liberal arts degree is completely worthless these days. Not only does the economy not need them, you have to get bombarded with endless SJW bullshit to get one of those sheepskins. Gives a whole new meaning to "liberal arts..." With motivation, a library, and an internet connection, you can learn much more than you'll learn at a university. Supposing you did that, though, the economy would reject you because it wasn't "legit,"even though if you did that, you'd know far more than the average college grad.

Studying things on your on is a great feeling. Just think, you can read books and learn from them without having to pay a liberal idiot to test you on them.

The college bubble must pop soon. The idea that degrees are worthless is being talked about more and more. It's almost time to say adios to this stupid system.
Expatriation Ragnarok
Make the most of going abroad while you still can.
Expatriation Ragnarok - Paperback
PM me to become a member of the Happier Abroad Support Network.

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4783
Joined: April 28th, 2013, 3:00 pm
Location: USA,FL

Re: College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Post by Moretorque » May 2nd, 2016, 1:06 am

College is just another bubble today with little true educational content for the most part, you can't hollow your entire economy out besides finance, law and the military industrial complex and expect to have many opportunities for varied employment.

When this whole entire thing goes coming up America is gone, the biggest problem will be weather or not the dumb herd can figure what has happened or are they still going to believe the lies for pushing the coming WW 3 our rulers want.

Daa Herd.......... :roll:
Time to Hide!

IraqVet2003
Junior Poster
Posts: 527
Joined: March 27th, 2014, 1:42 am

Re: College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Post by IraqVet2003 » May 2nd, 2016, 1:37 am

I would say that unless someone is pursuing a college degree in the fields such as education (teaching profession K-12), accounting, engineering, nursing, pre-law, pre-med, or computer science/programming a new graduate ( but not always a guarantee) could better their odds of getting an entry-level job and making some good money. Along with getting certification or licensing by the state required for those careers. Otherwise these days I don't think it's worth the tens of thousands of dollars of student loan debt (even as much as $250,000 to $500,000 in debt for medical/dental/law school), trying for an internship that might not land you a position in a company, and either being unemployed or underemployed (working fast-food, retail outlet, or some other low-wage job).

For there are very few careers that you can get any regular 4yr degree (other than General Studies) and just have a job. Examples of these would be becoming a U.S. postal service inspector, an FBI agent, teaching English abroad (for the higher paying slots), or a military officer. Although I don't recommend the last one because you'll end up fighting in America's stupid wars. Not to mention you could end up being in change of a social experiment in allowing women in direct combat ( and possibly drafted) for the first time in U.S. history. Particularly, if warmonger/hawk ( who voted for the Iraq war), Zionist, CFR follower, and super feminist Hilary Clinton becomes our next president.

So increasingly as an alternative many more guys are getting into the trades (mechanics, plumber, electrician, repairman) and/or starting their own businesses. This will become even more important as more corporations through globalization outsource jobs overseas to places like Mexico, Vietnam, China, India, Ireland, etc. Not mention technology such as computers, artificial intelligence (A.I.), robots, internet, self-driving vehicles, drones, etc. will replace humans in certain occupations. Also, the insourcing of jobs using foreign workers with H1-B visas or through prison labor (federal/state/private corrections facilities) will make it harder to find higher paying work. Finally, I think that in the near future teaching English abroad will become a great option as more young people will want to escape the bleak job market at home.

HouseMD
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1599
Joined: February 14th, 2012, 3:20 am
Location: Buried Under a Pile of Books

Re: College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Post by HouseMD » May 2nd, 2016, 5:16 am

Slick wrote:You spend 30k-40k to get an expensive degree then you're either unemployed or stuck working at a big box store for barely above minimum wage. How does people see that as ethical? It is borderline fraud. I highly suspect that colleges make a killing off tuition and course credits. No one high up cares about the students or the fact that their profit driven motives behind accreditation are completely oversaturating the market. They are busy making obscene amounts of money at the expense of their student's futures.
I did okay out of school- made $24/hr to start with a mere 4.5k in debt, with my salary increasing to $30.80/hr+shift differentials within 4 years. Decided to go back to med school because I want serious cash, but I'll just say that basically everyone I know that went to college and got a bachelor's degree is making 50k+ and everyone that didn't is making <35k.

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4783
Joined: April 28th, 2013, 3:00 pm
Location: USA,FL

Re: College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Post by Moretorque » May 2nd, 2016, 1:11 pm

HouseMD wrote:
Slick wrote:You spend 30k-40k to get an expensive degree then you're either unemployed or stuck working at a big box store for barely above minimum wage. How does people see that as ethical? It is borderline fraud. I highly suspect that colleges make a killing off tuition and course credits. No one high up cares about the students or the fact that their profit driven motives behind accreditation are completely oversaturating the market. They are busy making obscene amounts of money at the expense of their student's futures.
I did okay out of school- made $24/hr to start with a mere 4.5k in debt, with my salary increasing to $30.80/hr+shift differentials within 4 years. Decided to go back to med school because I want serious cash, but I'll just say that basically everyone I know that went to college and got a bachelor's degree is making 50k+ and everyone that didn't is making <35k.
\ If you specialize it is good to get into the door but is it education or state programming ? and they charge you way way more for a inferior bank indoctrinated education to serve the rulers as compared to what you used to get for way less.

I know about this because my step father is a physicist who taught at Yale, worked at Livermore and Las Alamos and he watched the deterioration for over 40 years.....

Some fields you need specialized training but today college is a joke for the most part.....
Time to Hide!

HouseMD
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1599
Joined: February 14th, 2012, 3:20 am
Location: Buried Under a Pile of Books

Re: College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Post by HouseMD » May 2nd, 2016, 2:40 pm

Moretorque wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
Slick wrote:You spend 30k-40k to get an expensive degree then you're either unemployed or stuck working at a big box store for barely above minimum wage. How does people see that as ethical? It is borderline fraud. I highly suspect that colleges make a killing off tuition and course credits. No one high up cares about the students or the fact that their profit driven motives behind accreditation are completely oversaturating the market. They are busy making obscene amounts of money at the expense of their student's futures.
I did okay out of school- made $24/hr to start with a mere 4.5k in debt, with my salary increasing to $30.80/hr+shift differentials within 4 years. Decided to go back to med school because I want serious cash, but I'll just say that basically everyone I know that went to college and got a bachelor's degree is making 50k+ and everyone that didn't is making <35k.
\ If you specialize it is good to get into the door but is it education or state programming ? and they charge you way way more for a inferior bank indoctrinated education to serve the rulers as compared to what you used to get for way less.

I know about this because my step father is a physicist who taught at Yale, worked at Livermore and Las Alamos and he watched the deterioration for over 40 years.....

Some fields you need specialized training but today college is a joke for the most part.....
Anyone who goes to college for anything but a specialized field that can get them gainfully employed is an idiot. Our government shouldn't be backing loans for liberal arts degrees and other bull****.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Re: College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Post by Jester » May 2nd, 2016, 4:28 pm

HouseMD wrote: Anyone who goes to college for anything but a specialized field that can get them gainfully employed is an idiot. Our government shouldn't be backing loans for liberal arts degrees and other bull****.
90 percent of college degrees and 100 percent of the guys complaining are in the fields that you term useless. They are not the exception. You are.

If you are going to advocate for college you need to name the fields those successful over 50k friends graduated in, and what schools.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4783
Joined: April 28th, 2013, 3:00 pm
Location: USA,FL

Re: College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Post by Moretorque » May 2nd, 2016, 5:01 pm

Basically the good ole days are gone and earning a living today compared to yesteryear is for most a pipe dream unless you print money!
Time to Hide!

HouseMD
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1599
Joined: February 14th, 2012, 3:20 am
Location: Buried Under a Pile of Books

Re: College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Post by HouseMD » May 2nd, 2016, 5:01 pm

Jester wrote:
HouseMD wrote: Anyone who goes to college for anything but a specialized field that can get them gainfully employed is an idiot. Our government shouldn't be backing loans for liberal arts degrees and other bull****.
90 percent of college degrees and 100 percent of the guys complaining are in the fields that you term useless. They are not the exception. You are.

If you are going to advocate for college you need to name the fields those successful over 50k friends graduated in, and what schools.
Only 7.2% of young college graduates are unemployed and 14.9% are underemployed. Generally, the people I see complaining that college degrees are worthless are either:

1- People that don't want to or didn't go to college and are using the sour grapes excuse of "college wouldn't get me anywhere anyways, degrees are worthless."

2- Have poor social skills and are doomed pretty much no matter what they do.

3- Are not geographically flexible, because some markets just don't have jobs. There's only so much need for engineers in, say, Vermont.

4- Got a degree in a truly oversaturated field or one that has basically zero prospects like Journalism, where absolute positions have been declining for years.

5- Are lazy and just don't look for jobs to begin with.

6- Have red flags that make them unhireable, such as criminal records or multiple DUIs.

http://www.epi.org/publication/the-class-of-2015/

As to my friends, they all went to state schools and have careers in their chosen fields, which are pretty diverse- nursing, allied health, engineering, computer science, marketing, management, secondary education, etc.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Re: College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Post by Jester » May 2nd, 2016, 6:15 pm

HouseMD wrote:
Jester wrote:
HouseMD wrote: Anyone who goes to college for anything but a specialized field that can get them gainfully employed is an idiot. Our government shouldn't be backing loans for liberal arts degrees and other bull****.
90 percent of college degrees and 100 percent of the guys complaining are in the fields that you term useless. They are not the exception. You are.

If you are going to advocate for college you need to name the fields those successful over 50k friends graduated in, and what schools.

Only 7.2% of young college graduates are unemployed and 14.9% are underemployed.
Utter, utter horseshit.

The Soviet Union used to produce statistics too.

Utter horseshit.

Generally, the people I see complaining that college degrees are worthless are either:

1- People that don't want to or didn't go to college and are using the sour grapes excuse of "college wouldn't get me anywhere anyways, degrees are worthless."
That's not what the thread is about. Red herring.

Oh and I graduated Ivy League, FWIW.

2- Have poor social skills and are doomed pretty much no matter what they do.
f**k you and the horse you rode in on.

You're a f***ing DOCTOR and you want to preach SOCIAL SKILLS?

:lol:

SOME of us have earned a living telemarketing and knocking on doors and making sales to complete strangers.

Not you.

You are in no position to judge social skills.

Oh and BTW, Americans are the BEST IN THE WORLD at social skills.

The f***ing BEST.

Fat lot of good it does, when negative snobs like you get the dough.

3- Are not geographically flexible, because some markets just don't have jobs. There's only so much need for engineers in, say, Vermont.
They can build shit in Vermont. They have roads in Vermont. They BUY shit in Vermont. Therefore they do INDEED need engineers in Vermont.

But snide globalist vermin like you chortle at the outsourcing of all production, both mental and physical, to goddam Bangladesh etc.

I hope you reap what you sow.

Many of us HAVE relocated from nice places to not-so-nice places. But they don't hire average White or Black Joes in India.

No they don't.

4- Got a degree in a truly oversaturated field or one that has basically zero prospects like Journalism, where absolute positions have been declining for years.
That was the point of the thread, dipshit.

5- Are lazy and just don't look for jobs to begin with.
While a lot of people are lazy, guess what. When your dad went looking for a job, and there was a help wanted sign in the window, THEY WERE REALLY HIRING.

Not now.

Oh and you didn't need a "resume". Or perfect credit.

You are really out of touch.

It's as hard to get a job today as it was in the "Great Depression". Not saying you can't. You can. But it is hard.

Oh JEEZ, you say, people hopped trains to find work in the Great Depression.

Yup.

Try that NOW.

No resume, smelling dirty, off the train, ask for work.

Try that NOW, dipshit.

Oh and you'd be in jail anyway.

6- Have red flags that make them unhireable, such as criminal records or multiple DUIs.
You arrogant swine. May you and your family suffer and starve.

I was petitioning in Utah 10 years ago, and like 1 in 20 WHITE PEOPLE couldn't sign a petition because they were "FELONS".

And f***ing DUI?

Shit I did that WEEKLY as a teen in Georgia. No problem if I drove slow and careful.

NOW?

The Boys In Blue are crawling around like cockroaches after cake crumbs.

And you cheer hem on.

And someone who hets arrested, [persecuted, re-educated, robbed and has his car stolen by the system? You call him unhirable.

May your children know hunger and suffering.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."

HouseMD
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1599
Joined: February 14th, 2012, 3:20 am
Location: Buried Under a Pile of Books

Re: College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Post by HouseMD » May 2nd, 2016, 6:54 pm

Jester wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
Jester wrote:
HouseMD wrote: Anyone who goes to college for anything but a specialized field that can get them gainfully employed is an idiot. Our government shouldn't be backing loans for liberal arts degrees and other bull****.
90 percent of college degrees and 100 percent of the guys complaining are in the fields that you term useless. They are not the exception. You are.

If you are going to advocate for college you need to name the fields those successful over 50k friends graduated in, and what schools.

Only 7.2% of young college graduates are unemployed and 14.9% are underemployed.
Utter, utter horseshit.

The Soviet Union used to produce statistics too.

Utter horseshit.

Generally, the people I see complaining that college degrees are worthless are either:

1- People that don't want to or didn't go to college and are using the sour grapes excuse of "college wouldn't get me anywhere anyways, degrees are worthless."
That's not what the thread is about. Red herring.

Oh and I graduated Ivy League, FWIW.

2- Have poor social skills and are doomed pretty much no matter what they do.
f**k you and the horse you rode in on.

You're a f***ing DOCTOR and you want to preach SOCIAL SKILLS?

:lol:

SOME of us have earned a living telemarketing and knocking on doors and making sales to complete strangers.

Not you.

You are in no position to judge social skills.

Oh and BTW, Americans are the BEST IN THE WORLD at social skills.

The f***ing BEST.

Fat lot of good it does, when negative snobs like you get the dough.

3- Are not geographically flexible, because some markets just don't have jobs. There's only so much need for engineers in, say, Vermont.
They can build shit in Vermont. They have roads in Vermont. They BUY shit in Vermont. Therefore they do INDEED need engineers in Vermont.

But snide globalist vermin like you chortle at the outsourcing of all production, both mental and physical, to goddam Bangladesh etc.

I hope you reap what you sow.

Many of us HAVE relocated from nice places to not-so-nice places. But they don't hire average White or Black Joes in India.

No they don't.

4- Got a degree in a truly oversaturated field or one that has basically zero prospects like Journalism, where absolute positions have been declining for years.
That was the point of the thread, dipshit.

5- Are lazy and just don't look for jobs to begin with.
While a lot of people are lazy, guess what. When your dad went looking for a job, and there was a help wanted sign in the window, THEY WERE REALLY HIRING.

Not now.

Oh and you didn't need a "resume". Or perfect credit.

You are really out of touch.

It's as hard to get a job today as it was in the "Great Depression". Not saying you can't. You can. But it is hard.

Oh JEEZ, you say, people hopped trains to find work in the Great Depression.

Yup.

Try that NOW.

No resume, smelling dirty, off the train, ask for work.

Try that NOW, dipshit.

Oh and you'd be in jail anyway.

6- Have red flags that make them unhireable, such as criminal records or multiple DUIs.
You arrogant swine. May you and your family suffer and starve.

I was petitioning in Utah 10 years ago, and like 1 in 20 WHITE PEOPLE couldn't sign a petition because they were "FELONS".

And f***ing DUI?

Shit I did that WEEKLY as a teen in Georgia. No problem if I drove slow and careful.

NOW?

The Boys In Blue are crawling around like cockroaches after cake crumbs.

And you cheer hem on.

And someone who hets arrested, [persecuted, re-educated, robbed and has his car stolen by the system? You call him unhirable.

May your children know hunger and suffering.
I was a successful salesperson for five years prior to medical school, actually, with district-topping numbers and multiple awards. Medicine is actually my third career, and one I got into to capitalize on my business skills from the first two. Now, as to DUIs- if you'd seen as many innocent people killed by drunk drivers as I have, you'd have no pity either. I've put fathers, mothers, children into the ground because of careless drunks. I drink heavily, but I have a designated driver or call a cab like a responsible adult that doesn't want to risk murdering someone.

Now, as to Vermont and engineers- it isn't that they don't need them, it is that they are a small state that needs a small number of them, but far too many people within that state are getting degrees in the field so there isn't enough work to go around. You can't graduate 1,200 engineers a year in a state that only needs 300 a year and expect everyone to be gainfully employed.

As to statistics, they fit very well with what I've seen on the ground. The vast majority of those that are unemployed in their 20s are uneducated- they have four to five times the rate of unemployment as those with degrees.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Business, Finance, Taxes, Investments, Cost of Living, etc.”