Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

Scam free! Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Dealing with lawyers

Discuss issues related to government, politics, and law.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Dealing with lawyers

Postby Cornfed » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:20 am

So as we know when you deal with lawyers they get to charge you absurd fees for what amounts to basically chatting with their pals, but also that they have the right to do things that no other commercial firm could do, such as the right to withhold legal documents in order to extort payment from you and even third parties. It is not as if they even know that much about "the law". They are just members of an exclusive club that does things however it wants and backs each other up. I’m not complaining about anything in particular, but what a racket. You charge a fortune for mainly secretarial work with some amateur dramatics occasionally thrown in. I should have gone to law school.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Special Offer! FREE 6 Month Membership on ForeignWomen.com! Sign up here.

Find Your Foreign Sweetheart Now! Try our international Dating Sites and Overseas Romance Tours!

Re: Dealing with lawyers

Postby MrMan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:31 am

Cornfed wrote:So as we know when you deal with lawyers they get to charge you absurd fees for what amounts to basically chatting with their pals, but also that they have the right to do things that no other commercial firm could do, such as the right to withhold legal documents in order to extort payment from you and even third parties. It is not as if they even know that much about "the law". They are just members of an exclusive club that does things however it wants and backs each other up. I’m not complaining about anything in particular, but what a racket. You charge a fortune for mainly secretarial work with some amateur dramatics occasionally thrown in. I should have gone to law school.

Your not dead yet. Why don't you take the LSAT?
MrMan
Experienced Poster

Postby Cornfed » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:35 am

MrMan wrote:Your not dead yet. Why don't you take the LSAT?

LOL. It is an exclusive club here. I would never be offered employment. And besides, I have better things to do.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Adama » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:08 am

Cornfed wrote:So as we know when you deal with lawyers they get to charge you absurd fees for what amounts to basically chatting with their pals, but also that they have the right to do things that no other commercial firm could do, such as the right to withhold legal documents in order to extort payment from you and even third parties. It is not as if they even know that much about "the law". They are just members of an exclusive club that does things however it wants and backs each other up. I’m not complaining about anything in particular, but what a racket. You charge a fortune for mainly secretarial work with some amateur dramatics occasionally thrown in. I should have gone to law school.

Not just that, but they redefine words and have invented a whole new language to confound non-lawyers. Legalese. That's how they separate themselves. Otherwise it would be plain and obvious to everybody more so than it is.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby gsjackson » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:57 am

I quit in part because it was mostly just glorified secretarial work -- managing pieces of paper. It's very difficult to find intellectually stimulating work in the profession.
gsjackson
Experienced Poster

Postby MrMan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Law is a very complicated field. I'd imagine common law is worse than civil law. Countries with British legal systems have legal systems that operate on precedent, so lawyers have to be familiar with or look up all kinds of precedents for court cases.
MrMan
Experienced Poster

Return to Government, Politics, Law