Dealing with lawyers

Discuss issues related to politics, government and law.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Dealing with lawyers

Post by Cornfed »

So as we know when you deal with lawyers they get to charge you absurd fees for what amounts to basically chatting with their pals, but also that they have the right to do things that no other commercial firm could do, such as the right to withhold legal documents in order to extort payment from you and even third parties. It is not as if they even know that much about "the law". They are just members of an exclusive club that does things however it wants and backs each other up. I’m not complaining about anything in particular, but what a racket. You charge a fortune for mainly secretarial work with some amateur dramatics occasionally thrown in. I should have gone to law school.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Dealing with lawyers

Post by MrMan »

Cornfed wrote:So as we know when you deal with lawyers they get to charge you absurd fees for what amounts to basically chatting with their pals, but also that they have the right to do things that no other commercial firm could do, such as the right to withhold legal documents in order to extort payment from you and even third parties. It is not as if they even know that much about "the law". They are just members of an exclusive club that does things however it wants and backs each other up. I’m not complaining about anything in particular, but what a racket. You charge a fortune for mainly secretarial work with some amateur dramatics occasionally thrown in. I should have gone to law school.
Your not dead yet. Why don't you take the LSAT?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

MrMan wrote:Your not dead yet. Why don't you take the LSAT?
LOL. It is an exclusive club here. I would never be offered employment. And besides, I have better things to do.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Cornfed wrote:So as we know when you deal with lawyers they get to charge you absurd fees for what amounts to basically chatting with their pals, but also that they have the right to do things that no other commercial firm could do, such as the right to withhold legal documents in order to extort payment from you and even third parties. It is not as if they even know that much about "the law". They are just members of an exclusive club that does things however it wants and backs each other up. I’m not complaining about anything in particular, but what a racket. You charge a fortune for mainly secretarial work with some amateur dramatics occasionally thrown in. I should have gone to law school.

Not just that, but they redefine words and have invented a whole new language to confound non-lawyers. Legalese. That's how they separate themselves. Otherwise it would be plain and obvious to everybody more so than it is.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

I quit in part because it was mostly just glorified secretarial work -- managing pieces of paper. It's very difficult to find intellectually stimulating work in the profession.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Law is a very complicated field. I'd imagine common law is worse than civil law. Countries with British legal systems have legal systems that operate on precedent, so lawyers have to be familiar with or look up all kinds of precedents for court cases.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

I read an article back in 2002 when I first got on the net that explained how most of the world works under British Law. It was titled " The Bankruptcy of the United States ", I did not understand it at the time but once you realize in fact everything you have been taught is a lie then your brain goes Eureka!

The British empire has gone into country after country bankrupted it or conquered it by war, set the credit monopoly up then ran their con job on the idiot masses.

The legal system is there to manage the bankruptcy and collect the debt from the serfs and engineer the society as they " the bankers " see fit. If you have not read it I suggest you do.,

You cannot pay a debt with a supply of #'s, you are being loaned these #'s because the civilization is to stupid to understand how to run a solvent economy.
Time to Hide!