Programs like Rosetta Stone

Chat in foreign languages or discuss language-learning.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Programs like Rosetta Stone

Post by Tsar »

Has anyone ever used a program like Rosetta Stone? I won't begin taking classes until autumn. It might be good if I can become more familiar with the language and begin learning it. The Russian alphabet has two silent letters so it would help if it also teaches about their usage.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

It's expensive unless you torrent it. Not a bad program at all and certainly user friendly, but I'm sure there are much faster ways to learn a language.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

abcdavid01 wrote:It's expensive unless you torrent it. Not a bad program at all and certainly user friendly, but I'm sure there are much faster ways to learn a language.
Such as...?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Rosetta Stone gets sold used on Craigslist for peanuts.

Pimsleur is a major competitor, don't know which is better.

Maybe Ladislav will give some Russian lessons via Skype? ;)

Anyway my brief experience with Russian is that it is hard to learn proper pronunciatin, so I heartily endorse the idea of a Rosetta Stone-type program that works you on pronunciation.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

The best way to learn a language is to get a teacher, so look for an evening class or something.

In a couple of weeks I'm off to study Mandarin Chinese in China, I guess that's the best way of all! 18 weeks of that and my Mandarin could be amazing.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

OK I've been using Rosetta Stone - it's pretty good especially when it comes to remembering vocabulary. Mindless repetition is the best way to get words into long term memory.

Old copies sell for very little as most language learners give up!

Pimsleur is nothing like Rosetta, in fact I think Rosetta is pretty unique. Plus Rosetta is fun.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.