Would you learn a foreign language for a woman?

Chat in foreign languages or discuss language-learning.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

kai1275 wrote:
If you like soccer, watch that too. Watch the telenovelas as well. The women are so f***ing hot it is hard to change the channel. It is easy to watch 1 hour easy. That makes for good practice long term and they tend to use good Spanish for the most part, but not so textbook, you would be lost listening to a real Spanish speaker.

You can also find a nice gal to help you practice. Sometimes you can learn alot about a woman's level of patience by constantly asking her language questions. :wink:

Don't worry, you can have that advice for free. Your welcome. :lol:
Great suggestions.

I wonder about something. You know those TV sets that have a special control to turn on captioning for the hearing-impaired? I wonder if that works with any TV channels in Mexico.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Sin Tetas No Hay Paraíso.....Que fresco. Y que verdad tbm. #TheDeAcuerdoCoSign ;-)
Novem
Freshman Poster

Post by Novem »

I definitely would because more than likely I would be planning to stay in her country for the long haul. I feel like learning the native language helps you to filter out certain unsavory types of women. As well as giving you access to the greater female population that may not speak English. Actually, a female that knows too much English may be a red flag for me if she has spent extensive time dating foreigners who may have corrupted her with their behavior.

I've always felt that if you are going to anchor yourself in a foreign country/society you shouldn't expect the rest of them to constantly cater to you. Although the point about China and never being accepted is a valid one and has changed my mind a bit. In situations where you may never be accepted, I can't exactly fault someone for not learning the native language.
??????
Freshman Poster

Post by ?????? »

Yes, a man should learn a foreign language if he plans to leave. Not just for dating but everyday communication as well. Too many men who do this expect her to learn English and don't bother to learn to speak a word of her language. I'm still trying to become fluent in Russian, myself.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

If you want to learn a foreign language, do it. It can never be wrong.

If you are into Asian languages, be aware that some of them have a very complex writing system.

Never learn only the spoken language, but even if you feel it is difficult, learn slowly and learn the written language as well.

Many Western foreigners in Japan, Taiwan, Thailand etc. can speak a few words of the local language, but are acting like illiterates.

To be able to read is often more important than to be able to speak.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

For US-citizens who do not know any other language but English to learn some Spanish is a good start. You can use it frequently in wide parts of Latin America, but also within United States sometimes. Spanish is also useful for some places in Southern Europe.

I am more skeptical about languages which are not used outside of a certain limited region, like Thai or Japanese.

The question is 'will you use such a language frequently? Are you living within this region? Is your partner a native speaker of that language? If not, such knowledge is quickly forgotten again.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Re: Would you learn a foreign language for a woman?

Post by Lucas88 »

I just read through this thread today and I see a lot of astute observations from E Irizarry, ladislav, etc. You guys have a wealth of experience when it comes to international travel and using foreign languages, know what you're talking about and tell it as it is!

The following posts in particular are on point:
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
September 11th, 2013, 7:27 pm
And at least dudes like Ladislav, SkateboardStephen, and I agree that you must learn their language. Stop with this ADHD/ADD-lazy-a.ss "English is the language of world business so you should speak it too" myopic narcissism.

It's embarrassing when guys do this. Did you except them to say, "Ok" with a broken accent, and they you teach them English? Stop with the myopic narcissism. Do you want the whole world to speak English when we all know that is the premiere medium in which Feminism has been spreading????? Then you'd have a Special-Ed-From-Crank-Yankers moment like "Uh duh! Why is she acting like the very self-entitled cu.nt I have been trying to evade??!?"
I speak Spanish and have spent a lot of time in Spain and Latin America. I can tell you that Latinas who speak English as a second language include some of the worst characters imaginable. Every now and then I would come across a Latina who proudly spoke English. Virtually every one of them had this particular chip on their shoulder as though they saw themselves as being more modern and sophisticated and somehow above all of their "backward" monolingual compatriots. And yes, they tended to idealize US culture and express feminist opinions.

I remember this one such Latina who I met in Spain. She was a real c*nt, although I was never outright rude to her because I got along with her Spanish husband. That woman tried speaking to me in English but I would always dismiss her advances because I hate Anglo culture and only speak Spanish when I'm in Spain. She would often chastise me for things I said such as "sexist" jokes and "inappropriate" language (she once told me off for saying "hostia" even though Spaniards use the word all the time, lol). Like, who the f**k was she to chastise me??? That woman was just another US-worshipping, feminist bitch with all of the hysterical moralism and evangelical zeal typical of the Anglo progressive contingent.

Avoid Latinas who speak English as a second language and idolize America and/or are internationally minded. They tend to be rotten.

I only date monolingual Spanish-speaking Latinas who have no interest in the Anglo world.
ladislav wrote:
September 11th, 2013, 10:28 pm
Practicing languages with immigrants in the USA is not a good idea. Many will just tell you to speak English or reply in English and feel "insulted".
I've not met many speakers of my target languages (Spanish and Japanese) in the UK but, with the small sample of Latino immigrants and Japanese exchange students who I did meet, they generally displayed the same attitude that you described. They would either become shocked and reply in English or give me this "How dare you speak OUR language, you're not one of us!" vibe.

However, I always act the same way whenever I'm in Spain, Latin America or Japan and some L2 speaker tries speaking English with me once my native status has been revealed. I don't like my own national identity, don't really like the sound of English even though it's my native language and aren't too enthusiastic about speaking it outside the UK, and overwhelmingly prefer Spanish. I don't see why I should be expected to speak English just because of my nationality which I don't even identify with anyway when I already have a high level in the local language. Besides, very few people were enthusiastic about speaking Spanish or Japanese with me back in the UK so naturally I don't care about those who want to practice English with me whenever I'm abroad. It works both ways, I suppose.
Hero wrote:
September 11th, 2013, 4:58 pm
Anyone here ever learn a foreign language for a girl?
As for the main topic, no, I wouldn't learn a foreign language for a girl. I already speak Spanish and only date Spanish-speaking Latinas. I wouldn't have a serious relationship with a girl from any other culture.

Part of the reason why I learned Spanish was indeed my love for Latinas but I'm just crazy about Spanish and Latin American culture as a whole and feel like I belong there the most.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Would you learn a foreign language for a woman?

Post by MrMan »

Hero wrote:
September 11th, 2013, 4:58 pm
I'm chatting via google translate with a Panamanian angel who speaks Spanish only. I know it's a lot of work to learn a foreign language, but this woman is worth it :D Anyone here ever learn a foreign language for a girl? How did you do it? Rosetta Stone, perhaps?
Old thread. I was already learning Indonesian when I met my wife. I learned a lot more after I got a 'long haired dictionary' as one of my coworkers put it.

How did I learn it? I got a Lonely Planet travel phrase book, learned what I could out of that, and I got about 6 chapters into 'Mastering the Indonesian language' a few years later, but wasn't learning much new. Cinetron (miniseries) in Indonesia had negative entertainment value, so I'd watch Spanish telenovelas dubbed in Indonesian with my wife a bit to pick up some formal speech. Before my last trip, I found an Indonesian version of 'Take Me Out' on Youtube and watched that while holding a button down to drag a code down to the bottom of a very long spreadsheet for my dissertation. I'd watch stuff if spreadsheet work was too mindless. I did learn some Vocab related to relationships, surprisingly from Take Me Out.

I'd also speak Indonesian with people on the street, coworkers, eventually in faculty meetings, etc.

I never took a class in it. I thumbed through a conversational Indonesian language book and picked up a little grammar I'd overlooked.

I didn't learn it from a woman, but for overall purposes of living life there. Since I speak Indonesian I can sort of get by in Malaysian also.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Re:

Post by Lucas88 »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
October 6th, 2013, 12:29 pm
Sin Tetas No Hay Paraíso.....Que fresco. Y que verdad tbm. #TheDeAcuerdoCoSign ;-)
Claro que sin tetas no hay paraíso, mi estimado hermano mujeriego. ¡Y qué sean grandotas, firmes y de silicona!

#MelonazosSabrosos

#Pechugas al Horno

( . ) ( . )

🥒

#PuraVerdad