Would you learn a foreign language for a woman?

Chat in foreign languages or discuss language-learning.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 16th, 2020, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Ghost wrote:I'm an ESL teacher.
That's cool. I'd like to go do that in Latin America, but Ladislav told me I'd be killing myself just to make enough money to survive.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

The irony of Americanized Latinas...

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

So I was dating...very briefly this stateside Latina whom is half Italian and half Panamanian
(I guess I have a strong affinity to Panameñas)

In any event, she looked a lot like my Brazilian ex-novia that is from Canada, and this new chick
hated my Spanish because I had spoken it formally. She had spoken it American-esque choc full of
colloquialisms.

Why is American Spanish so dumbed-down? A: the majority of poor people moved
here to America alas the poor grammatical structure of their language. Solved. jajaja
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

I plan to learn Mandarin at some point, but not for "a woman". I just think that English and Mandarin are the languages of the future. You could speak to the majority of the inhabitants of planet earth if you knew just those two languages.

For those English speakers that have learned Mandarin from scratch...how long did it take you to be able to converse comfortably in Mandarin?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 16th, 2020, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Hey, can somebody translate this for me? I tried online translators but they just confused me more.

"Me estoy ilusionando contigo"
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

Loosely, it means: "I am illuminated with you".

This was translated with some Spanish learned (in school) with Google Translate for contigo (forgot the meaning).

Other members opinions?
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

aozora13 wrote:Loosely, it means: "I am illuminated with you".

This was translated with some Spanish learned (in school) with Google Translate for contigo (forgot the meaning).

Other members opinions?
That's the literal translation. Basically, she is saying that she's in lust with Hero like it's too good to be true and that she likes it like that.

It's the same way of saying "Me estoy enamorando en ti".
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

Hero wrote:Hey, can somebody translate this for me? I tried online translators but they just confused me more.

Loosely translated: "I am falling for you". Ilusiones=dreams, hopes. She likes you a lot and is starting to get excited about you.
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

Thanks. Hero, should be happy then.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 16th, 2020, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Re: The irony of Americanized Latinas...

Post by Halwick »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:So I was dating...very briefly this stateside Latina whom is half Italian and half Panamanian
(I guess I have a strong affinity to Panameñas)

In any event, she looked a lot like my Brazilian ex-novia that is from Canada, and this new chick
hated my Spanish because I had spoken it formally. She had spoken it American-esque choc full of
colloquialisms.

Why is American Spanish so dumbed-down? A: the majority of poor people moved
here to America alas the poor grammatical structure of their language. Solved. jajaja
Is American Spanish so dumbed-down because of the Mexican influence? I've heard it stated that among the Spanish speaking countries in Latin America, that Mexicans' grammar is the worst and to speak Spanish grammatically properly one would not want to use the Mexican version.

I had a Spanish language high school teacher who spoke what I was told Castillian Spanish. I notice her accent and choice of words were different from the Latin American Spanish I'm used to. Interesting accent.

(Hmm.... you have a strong affinity to Panameñas, eh? As I used to live in the former Canal Zone, I have a soft spot for the Panamanian women. I just wish there were more light-skinned versions around. :) )
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Ghost wrote:I thought I should add a caveat: I would learn a language for women, but not any language. Spanish or Tagalog? Yes. Chinese? Most likely not. There's the matter of learning the culture too. In China, a foreigner is a foreigner. Period. I can see the current young generation being more accepting, but for now it is solidly Chinese and non-Chinese. This is not always readily apparent. Part of this is, no doubt, the massive language barrier. But it's more than that. I don't see the point in even trying to master Chinese since I can never actually fit in and assimilate here.
True. It's like that in NorthEast Asia in general. The culture here is homogenous, so along with the good: low crime rates, lack of multiculturalism and political correctness, strong social cohesion and not as many divisions like the U.S., the bad part is that foreigners will always be considered "foreigners," unlike say, the United States...

I think the Philippines and to some extent Malaysia and Singapore are the exception in Asia. They're more of a multicultural society than most of the countries in Asia.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

aozora13 wrote:Thanks. Hero, should be happy then.
Wao! These Latin American women sure do fall in love easily! All you have to do is act like a caballero, and they melt. :D
Being a gentleman has the opposite effect on American women.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

chibolo wrote:
Hero wrote:Hey, can somebody translate this for me? I tried online translators but they just confused me more.

Loosely translated: "I am falling for you". Ilusiones=dreams, hopes. She likes you a lot and is starting to get excited about you.
Hola señor loro. :-/