Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme

Why do so many Spanish people say "for me"...

Chat in foreign languages or discuss language-learning.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Why do so many Spanish people say "for me"...

Post by xiongmao » April 15th, 2015, 9:40 pm

I got a new class of English learners today and they're all Spanish/Catalan native speakers. Once again they're making much the same errors as the previous class.

Almost everyone seems to begin sentences with "For me..."

Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone know the reason? I don't know any Spanish really, so I'm not sure if there is some sort of cross over from Spanish to English.

I suppose it's grammatically correct, but as an English native speaker I would never begin a sentence with "For me".

As to other common errors, prepositions ("those little words") get dropped a lot, nobody is quite sure which words need an "s" suffix, "s" is usually pronounced es, as in esports and estudents and short vowels and double consonants are tricky.
I quit my boring cubicle slave job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Want to teach English overseas? Check out my experiences teaching at a Uni in China.
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then join my free Asian dating site.

droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why do so many Spanish people say "for me"...

Post by droid » April 16th, 2015, 12:12 am

Almost everyone seems to begin sentences with "For me..."
Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone know the reason?

You didn't describe the whole context, but usually what is meant is "To me, ..." or "In my opinion...", "From my perspective...".
esports and estudents
LMAO, i tell people to join the last word with the 's' word to get rid of this. As in it's a greats-port.
But it's as hard as making Germans pronounce the 'w' as 'u' lol
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost » April 16th, 2015, 1:07 am

xiongmao wrote: Almost everyone seems to begin sentences with "For me..."
There's nothing wrong with that. I even do it sometimes, and occasionally hear it. Not usually how I would start a sentence, but nothing wrong with it.
Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone know the reason? I don't know any Spanish really, so I'm not sure if there is some sort of cross over from Spanish to English.
It probably mirrors the structure of how they would speak in their native language. I don't recall hearing this with Spanish students, but it might be something particular to Spain as well.
As to other common errors, prepositions ("those little words") get dropped a lot, nobody is quite sure which words need an "s" suffix, "s" is usually pronounced es, as in esports and estudents and short vowels and double consonants are tricky.
I would think plurals wouldn't be difficult for Spanish-speaking students since forming plurals is very similar to English.

But for prepositions, those are always tricky. They are not equivalent across languages, so they are automatically challenging. And not all languages have the same number of words for prepositions as English does. I know in Spanish that ¨en¨ can be both ¨in¨ and ¨on.¨

I do hear the ¨es-¨ tacked on to many words starting with ¨s.¨ Perhaps the most noticeable habit of Spanish-speakers.
Expatriation Ragnarok
Make the most of going abroad while you still can.
Expatriation Ragnarok - Paperback
PM me to become a member of the Happier Abroad Support Network.

Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 » April 16th, 2015, 8:53 am

I'm spanish, so I think I know the reason. In spanish, many verbs that aren't reflexive in english, are reflexive in spanish.

For example :

In english, you say "I fell".....in spanish you say "I fell myself" (me cai)
In english, you say "He died".....in spanish it's "he died himself" (se murio)
In english "they got married".....spanish "they married themselves" (se casaron)

etc.

If you look at the translations for each phrase in brackets above, each one starts with me or se, which means myself or himself / themselves.

That could be the reason. When they're saying "for me" it could be that they're trying to replicate the word "me" (myself, me, to-me), thinking that it works the same in english, when of course it doesn't. I'm guessing that they read somewhere that me (spanish) means "to / for myself" and they've stuck with it.

I could tell you more, but I'd have to charge you...for myself.
Location Independent Expat Relocate​

If you want to move abroad, but you can't decide where, I can help you.

http://lierelocate.weebly.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwS_hq ... qZA/videos

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... hVcm9GFFb9

https://twitter.com/LocIndExpRel

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester » April 16th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Johnny1975 wrote:I'm spanish, so I think I know the reason. In spanish, many verbs that aren't reflexive in english, are reflexive in spanish.

For example :

In english, you say "I fell".....in spanish you say "I fell myself" (me cai)
In english, you say "He died".....in spanish it's "he died himself" (se murio)
In english "they got married".....spanish "they married themselves" (se casaron)

etc.

If you look at the translations for each phrase in brackets above, each one starts with me or se, which means myself or himself / themselves.

That could be the reason. When they're saying "for me" it could be that they're trying to replicate the word "me" (myself, me, to-me), thinking that it works the same in english, when of course it doesn't. I'm guessing that they read somewhere that me (spanish) means "to / for myself" and they've stuck with it.
I was going with Xongmao and Droid till I read your post. I think you nailed it.

I could tell you more, but I'd have to charge you...for myself.
+1 :lol:
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."