Let's organize a Meetup (San Diego/Tijuana)

Arrange meetups and get togethers with other Happier Abroad members in your area, or coming to your area.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

fschmidt wrote:
fschmidt wrote:I spoke to Jester and he prefers Hotel Ticuan over Hotel La Villa de Zaragoza because Hotel Ticuan has a lobby. If no one objects in 24 hours, we will stay at Hotel Ticuan.
No one objected, so we will stay at Hotel Ticuan. I called them and they said that it's cheaper to reserve online than to pay there, so please reserve your own room online here:

http://www.booking.com/

djfourmoney will meet us at the hotel. hornyabc didn't respond. I am not sure about Winston's plans yet. If no one says that they want to meet at the border within the next 48 hours, then the border meeting is off and I will go directly to the hotel.

At the hotel, I suggest meeting in the lobby at 2 times. First we meet at lobby at 6pm and go to dinner. (I know a great taco place nearby.) Then we meet again in the lobby at 8pm for anyone who missed the first meeting.
Didn't you read my posts above? Why don't I just pick you and drealm up at the airport? Then you can show me how to get to the border and where to park and where to go. I would not be comfortable going into Mexico alone.

Also, why did you suggest a different hotel just because it has a lobby? We could use that lobby as a meeting place, and then pick another hotel nearby. $80 dollars seems steep for a TJ hotel. Are there other hotels nearby to choose from? If so, maybe some of us can stay there too?

Do all hotels in TJ accept credit cards?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Winston wrote:Didn't you read my posts above? Why don't I just pick you and drealm up at the airport? Then you can show me how to get to the border and where to park and where to go. I would not be comfortable going into Mexico alone.
That's fine, we are discussing this by PM.
Also, why did you suggest a different hotel just because it has a lobby? We could use that lobby as a meeting place, and then pick another hotel nearby. $80 dollars seems steep for a TJ hotel. Are there other hotels nearby to choose from? If so, maybe some of us can stay there too?
Jester suggested this. See:

viewtopic.php?p=184758#184758
I think so.
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

fschmidt wrote:
Winston wrote:Didn't you read my posts above? Why don't I just pick you and drealm up at the airport? Then you can show me how to get to the border and where to park and where to go. I would not be comfortable going into Mexico alone.
I spoke to fschmidt, I'll do whatever he wants. For now I'll assume the three of us will meet at airport. You have his contact info in case any problem comes up.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

I don't know if I will stay overnight.

May come down early and "take care of some business" before the 5pm meetup and possibly again later before I return to Los Angeles.

About Zona Rosa...

We can go to AB, maybe HK or Tropical. The other places are geared toward locals mostly, so unless you like your Latina women short, dark skinned, maybe light skinned but none the less short, older and likely chubby than some of the other places where you can get P4P at nearby short-time hotel.

Any action at HK is handled on-site; AB uses the hotel next door.

Just finishing up a long weekend of racing. Tomorrow I am going to work out my budget, Tues I will get my hair cut and shave. We'll see what else I get done before Friday.
hornyabc
Freshman Poster

Post by hornyabc »

Damn, I'm sorry to do this but I don't think I can make it now. Been having car problems lately and I don't want to risk taking the drive from LA and having it break down in the middle.

Also the couple friends I wanted to bring can't make it, one doesn't have a passport and the other is super cheap/poor.
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

hornyabc wrote:Damn, I'm sorry to do this but I don't think I can make it now. Been having car problems lately and I don't want to risk taking the drive from LA and having it break down in the middle.

Also the couple friends I wanted to bring can't make it, one doesn't have a passport and the other is super cheap/poor.
Another possibility is going down with djfourmoney? You are both in Los Angeles? I'm not sure if he's taking bus or car.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

So the latest is that drealm, Winston, and I will meet at the San Diego airport and the rest of us will meet at the Hotel Ticuan lobby. We will meet in the lobby at 6pm and again at 8pm. There will be no meeting at the border. My cellphone will work in Mexico, so anyone can call me anytime.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

fschmidt wrote:

I think so.
Well what about that other hotel? Hotel La Villa de Zaragoza.
http://www.hotellavilla.biz/

It's only $43. Is it near the hotel we will meet at? If so, I would prefer to try to stay there. It doesn't make sense to pay double just because it has a lobby. I mean, we could still meet in that lobby even if we are staying at the other hotel right?

And how will we get to Ensenada? By bus? Does Jester have a place there? If so, he should know best how to get there.

So when I pick you up and we park at the border, will we take a trolley across or a taxi? What's the plan?

Also, is that border parking lot guarded? Could someone break into the cars parked there?

We are going to park here right? http://borderstationparking.com/

Which freeway exit do you take to get there? I mean, what will the sign say at the last exit? This is important because if we miss that last exit to the border parking lot, we will be screwed and it will cost a lot of time and trouble to turn back around.

Btw, what kind of luggage will you all be carrying with you? I plan to carry a backpack and put some extra clothes in it. Is that the best way?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Winston wrote:
gsjackson wrote:
Winston wrote:T

Right now, I'm at a Buddhist center near Prescott, AZ. I will head to Yuma, AZ first and spend a few days there first to relax and get ready for the meet up.
Relax? In Yuma, Arizona in late June? The temperature will be about 35 degrees hotter than Prescott. I had to spend a week in Yuma when my dad had a trial there. Going outside was like stepping into an oven. I'd never experienced anything remotely like it. If you want to relax, it will be a lot easier in Prescott or San Diego than anyplace in between. Unless air conditioning relaxes you.
Yeah I know. I've been to Yuma before and it is very hot. But Yuma is closer to San Diego and it is much cheaper to stay in Yuma than in San Diego. Maybe I will stay in Prescott than, or another town in between. I just want to be near San Diego so I can drive to the meet up faster and pick up fschmidt at the airport, without worrying about being late or behind.
Well I changed my mind about going to Yuma. It seemed pointless to drive all the way down there for hours, just to stay out of the heat in a motel. So I drove back to Las Vegas instead. My car was full of stuff too and I figured I should clean it out first before picking up fschmidt and drealm in it. Now I'm back at home resting and recuperating from the 5 week road trip. I can't believe it was that long. Whew.

djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

hornyabc wrote:Damn, I'm sorry to do this but I don't think I can make it now. Been having car problems lately and I don't want to risk taking the drive from LA and having it break down in the middle.

1) You can cross the border without a passport and you'll receive a warning. I've come back across without my passport before, it's just cumbersome to have in your pants pocket. I need to get a passport card for these short jaunts over the border. I would for future reference that your friend get a Passport card, it's cheaper than a full fledged passport.

It's $55

2) You can take cheap buses to the border. Intercalifornias (http://www.intercalifornias.com), Tres Estrellas de Oro (323-881-9756 or 323-588-9188) or you can pay a little more to go on Greyhound.

I called TEO (Tres Estrellas de Oro) recently and the person that answered didn't speak English. More often than not somebody will speak English around here. The terminal is at 103 East 6th Street, Downtown LA. You can easily get there using Metro and Metro Redline, you get off at Perishing Square.

The price hasn't moved it's still $28 R/T

Intercalifornias cost about the same, though it could be a little more, about $30-$35

I just went to Greyhound and they are doing runs to TJ from LA for $20 Web Fare Roundtrip! I think I am going to jump on this in the morning, saving $8 from TEO.

The downside to TEO more so than Inter is that sometimes the bathroom smell can be overwhelming. That doesn't always happen though. Yes you'll be around a bunch of working poor Mexicans on the bus; if that bothers you then go Greyhound for sure.

Given that it's only $20 and Greyhound has WiFi on their buses this makes it a no-brainer, you will spend more in gas to go down from LA to TJ, plus parking on this side of the boarder unless you buy Mexican insurance. Parking on this side over the weekend I think is $30 or something. I have to check.

I'm pretty sure you or your friends can come up with $20... Given I don't work and make money giving away body fluids but can easily afford this trip; there's no excuse for you not to go.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Winston wrote:
fschmidt wrote:

I think so.
Well what about that other hotel? Hotel La Villa de Zaragoza.
http://www.hotellavilla.biz/

It's only $43. Is it near the hotel we will meet at? If so, I would prefer to try to stay there. It doesn't make sense to pay double just because it has a lobby. I mean, we could still meet in that lobby even if we are staying at the other hotel right?

And how will we get to Ensenada? By bus? Does Jester have a place there? If so, he should know best how to get there.

So when I pick you up and we park at the border, will we take a trolley across or a taxi? What's the plan?

Also, is that border parking lot guarded? Could someone break into the cars parked there?

We are going to park here right? http://borderstationparking.com/

Which freeway exit do you take to get there? I mean, what will the sign say at the last exit? This is important because if we miss that last exit to the border parking lot, we will be screwed and it will cost a lot of time and trouble to turn back around.

Btw, what kind of luggage will you all be carrying with you? I plan to carry a backpack and put some extra clothes in it. Is that the best way?
ETN has excellent buses usually brand new two a couple of years old at the most. All have WiFi, etc, etc and you can fully recline.

I think one line stops in Ensenada but I don't know which one.

The exit off the 5 is the last one, you will see the parking lot to your right, can't miss it - http://borderstationparking.com/ It's $10 to park over the weekend.

If you're coming on Friday you should be fine. If you're coming on Saturday, there three other lots in the area, fair warning they go get packed, especially when the weather is good, like Summer...

I don't think I'll be there on Friday. Saturday seems like when most of the activities are going to happen anyway so I'll opt for that. I don't care much for the World Cup and there's a few races I want to watch on Sunday, so I think I'll be just be coming down on Saturday. This is also because I am on a budget.

I am still working out that budget too.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

drealm wrote:

Another possibility is going down with djfourmoney? You are both in Los Angeles? I'm not sure if he's taking bus or car.
Nope Bus, looks like Greyhound ($20 R/T Webfare!)
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hey guys,
I think I'm going to have to bail out. I looked at the map today and San Diego looks to be about 6 or 7 hours from Las Vegas. Marklambo said it takes him 5 hours but he drives at 80mph, which I don't do. On the map, it looks to be almost twice the distance I just drove from Prescott, AZ to Las Vegas, which took me 5 or 6 hours. Wow.

Either way, I'm kind of tired and drained after a 5 week road trip and feel like resting and enjoying some peace and quiet. I just don't feel up to driving 6 hours again, especially through California traffic, which is messy and stressful. Driving in Arizona and New Mexico on the open road was easy with little traffic, but California roads are very crowded.

Plus I got a lot of work to catch up on and am anxious to go back to Asia too. So I need to rest and recuperate, while I try to catch up on stuff. I really wanted to go, but my mood doesn't feel up to it. Also, it's hot outside and I want to stay out of the heat and rest in a cool and comfortable house. I'm all tanned from hiking everyday the past month.

Fschmidt and Drealm, will you be able to find public transportation from the airport to the border ok?

drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

Winston wrote:Fschmidt and Drealm, will you be able to find public transportation from the airport to the border ok?
Public transportation shouldn't be a problem.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

drealm wrote:
Winston wrote:Fschmidt and Drealm, will you be able to find public transportation from the airport to the border ok?
Public transportation shouldn't be a problem.

There is a bus that goes from the airport to downtown San Diego and from downtown take the trolley all the way to the border. That would be the cheapest option. Or you could rent a car and park at the border.

Bus 992 goes from the airport to the American Plaza Trolley Stop. From there you take the blue line to the border. The trolley is $2.50 one way.