Should I Accept Relocation to Korea, Then Japan?

Moderated area for expat living and dating discussions. Members only. Must qualify with good knowledge, experience, character to be member and participate. See guidelines inside. Civil behavior only. No trolls, attacks or insults.
Maverick
Junior Poster

Should I Accept Relocation to Korea, Then Japan?

Post by Maverick »

Hey all.

As many of you know, I'm currently in the military. An interesting situation presented itself, where I *might* be getting orders to South Korea for 1 year, then Japan.

Basically, my contract will be up in less than a year. So I could separate next year and just be done with it or I could go to Korea and Japan (possibly) on the military's dime.

Based on what I read here, Korea and Japan are not good places to meet potential wives (which is what I'm looking for).

Thoughts?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Array9
Freshman Poster

Re: Should I Accept Relocation to Korea, Then Japan?

Post by Array9 »

Maverick wrote:Hey all.

As many of you know, I'm currently in the military. An interesting situation presented itself, where I *might* be getting orders to South Korea for 1 year, then Japan.

Basically, my contract will be up in less than a year. So I could separate next year and just be done with it or I could go to Korea and Japan (possibly) on the military's dime.

Based on what I read here, Korea and Japan are not good places to meet potential wives (which is what I'm looking for).

Thoughts?
Well Mav, I was in the service myself a while back. One of my biggest regrets was not accepting a duty assignment outside the states. I had my choice to be based on the west coast, east coast, Guam or Okinawa, Japan. I foolishly chose to go to the east coast. I would like to kick myself for that decision but I can't go back and change things.

As for you, I think the tour in Asia would be great. I know of several guys that I trained with that met wonderful women in Japan. Let me put it another way. I haven't heard of any enlisted guys who went over to Okinawa or mainland Japan that complained about meeting women. A few of the guys even married Japanese women. You seem to be a respectful person plus you mentioned before that you are an officer so I know that you are highly disciplined. I am not sure about Korea but you should have no problems finding a good wife in Japan. Let us know how you make out.
Men chase, women choose

As long as you have gold in your hand, you will ALWAYS have bread on your table.
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

Thanks man! I'm not sure about Korea either.

Either way, I have a few months to think about it.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

Yes, you really should have accepted. Korea and Japan are places I would like to visit, but I don't want to relocate in either country because I my likely not be able to afford it (especially Japan) and both countries have very cliquish, conformist, and workaholic cultures. I like Japanese food and Korean BBQ though.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

If you get offered the chance to go to Korea or Japan then take it!

I've been to Japan 4 times and really love the place. It's harder to meet women there, but not impossible. But there's just so many other things to enjoy there, from food to tech to fun people and spectacular scenery.

Japanese people work hard, but they also play harder than anyone else in Asia. There's a big drinking culture there that I never saw in China. As a Northern European I felt quite at home.

If anyone else is thinking about going to Japan, I've been researching it this week. The Japanese government is desperate to get more foreigners visiting... if you're young you can apply for scholarships or work permits quite easily. English teaching is well paid, but not as good as it was.

There are also language schools that cost around 750,000 yen per year (visa included). Not cheap, HOWEVER you can work up to 28 hours a week on a student visa and remember that you can get very good wages in Japan. Japan is expensive, but it's generally much cheaper if you don't want to live in Tokyo.

I might have a bit of trouble getting the visa due to my age (over 40) but as long as you got a good story and enough money it looks feasible. Just bear in mind it takes ~3-4 months to get an education visa, so don't leave it to the last minute.

If anyone wants to go to Japan, NOW is a great time to visit to due the weak Yen. It's now 50% cheaper there for a Brit like me, and I can now stay there for 3 weeks for the same price I paid for a fortnight back in 2008.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.